Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Price Protection Question regarding $1,000 increase on 21 models

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2021, 12:13 PM
mlinn1967
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Price Protection Question regarding $1,000 increase on 21 models

My C8 will be delivered to my dealer in the next few days. I have been telling them for weeks that I was price protected because I was at 3000 status as of March 1st when the $1k increase hit. They don't seem to know anything about it, and they are asking me to show them documents to prove this which I think is BS!!! Can someone point me to something OFFICIAL that I can send them that shows this? I mean, can't they call someone at GM to get this information, I mean they are a dealer after all! Any help would be appreciated!
Old 06-17-2021, 12:54 PM
greenshark68
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

My experience was similar. I had called my salesman and he knew about “price protection” and said I was covered if GM increased the price after my order was accepted. Then when I go to take delivery I see the price on the sales order still had the $1,000 price increase so I told the salesman, “I’m price protected and want you to take $1,000 off the MSRP”. To my surprise the salesman could not recall our conversation about price protection and the sales director told me that the on line build tool gave estimated prices so the MSRP is what I agreed to pay so pay it. I pulled out my phone and referred to the Corvette Forum that has several threads around that time in price protection (4/3/21). I told him if the dealer wasn’t going to honor their word on price protection then I needed them to acknowledge this change and I would buy the car at the non price protected MSRP. The Sales Director said he needed documentation about the original MSRP and he would contact his GM representative. We agreed that I would pay the higher price then get a refund if my claim was legitimate. I later sent the Sales Director an email with the documentation of the lower MSRP and his reply by phone a few weeks later was “you’re right, we have check for $1,062.50 for you and will send it to you”. The $62.50 was for sales tax.
Then nothing. I called and said the check was being cut soon. Then I got another call from the salesman about filling out the GM sales survey. I told them the survey status is in their hands, send me the check!
I ended up going to the dealership to pick up the check. I have to thank the good people that write in this forum for saving me $1,062.50 on the price of my new C8! It is everything people write about in this forum. Hope you can get your “price protected “.

Last edited by greenshark68; 06-17-2021 at 01:03 PM.
Old 06-17-2021, 05:07 PM
THX_ZORA
Burning Brakes

Received 611 Likes on 339 Posts

wow, actually, you only had to be at status 1100 as of march 1 to be price protected, per the official GM statement I saw, so you were more than covered....that's a seriously crappy dealership you are dealing with...."if your claim was legitimate". Even if they have never sold a Corvette before, and were not aware of all the hoopla surrounding this increase, they could easily confirm what you were telling them via their access to corporate correspondence......and it shouldn't take a few weeks either....bums.....

Last edited by THX_ZORA; 06-17-2021 at 05:09 PM.
Old 06-17-2021, 05:09 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,803 Likes on 2,953 Posts

This should help: https://www.corvetteactioncenter.com...ice-protected/
Keep in mind, dealers do have discretion and are not forced to honor this.
Old 06-17-2021, 05:10 PM
Gearhead SS
Racer

Received 329 Likes on 139 Posts

They can contact their Zone GM Rep for clarification. Basically, GM will credit them the money back to their open account once they sell the vehicle to you. As long as it was entered as a SRE Sold Retail Order type.
Old 06-17-2021, 05:36 PM
wfoZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 209 Posts

I got a call from Ross Downing today and was told my $1000 price protected check was being sent out today for a car I took delivery on last month.
Old 06-17-2021, 05:40 PM
Dcsac23
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 24 Posts

Any dealer that doesn’t price protect is pretty scummy. Kerbeck told me that I was price protected before I picked up my car. When I picked it up they had already backed out the $1000 from the sticker price. I very much respected their professionalism and that they don’t waste their time or the customer’s playing games. If your order was in and you agreed to a price before the price change, the dealer should honor the price. The goodwill alone will result in the customer recommending them to other buyers!
Old 06-17-2021, 06:00 PM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,177 Likes on 1,010 Posts

Believe me, they are a dealer. they know all about "price protection". It is totally disingenuous to make any other claim. Any time there is a price increase within a model year, GM sends out the exact process of how price protection for ordered units is to be handled.

If the unit was not ordered sold, it is not price protected. If they are simply trying to make an additional $1,000 on the deal and playing stupid on the deal, you will have a difficult time combatting that situation.
Old 06-17-2021, 06:24 PM
gowenfast
Le Mans Master

Received 825 Likes on 431 Posts
Finalist 2022 C1 of the Year - Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year - Unmodified
2018 C1 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '21

Originally Posted by JALLEN4
Believe me, they are a dealer. they know all about "price protection". It is totally disingenuous to make any other claim. Any time there is a price increase within a model year, GM sends out the exact process of how price protection for ordered units is to be handled.

If the unit was not ordered sold, it is not price protected. If they are simply trying to make an additional $1,000 on the deal and playing stupid on the deal, you will have a difficult time combatting that situation.
My order was accepted by GM on March 25th of this year. I paid a non refundable deposit at that time. They are now telling mw the price is 1,000.00 higher, and the car will most likely be a 2022!
Old 06-17-2021, 06:32 PM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,177 Likes on 1,010 Posts

Originally Posted by gowenfast
My order was accepted by GM on March 25th of this year. I paid a non refundable deposit at that time. They are now telling mw the price is 1,000.00 higher, and the car will most likely be a 2022!
There is no price protection on an order when the year ordered changes. Price protection only applies when the price changes within the same model year.

Get notified of new replies

To Price Protection Question regarding $1,000 increase on 21 models

Quick Reply: Price Protection Question regarding $1,000 increase on 21 models