Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brought my new C8 in for smog it’s not ready 🤦🏻‍♂️

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2021, 10:54 PM
1FINE99
Melting Slicks

Received 273 Likes on 159 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by dcowles
Just make an appointment with a smog referee; they can override the failures. Just make sure you are under 1000 miles; they can only check them on new cars if they are under 1000.
This is what I had to do with my C-7 . Made an appointment in Fresno and an hour later and $8.25 I was on my way . No problem ,just a hassle !! It was this or 1200 miles !
Old 07-06-2021, 12:51 AM
mnext02
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 1FINE99
This is what I had to do with my C-7 . Made an appointment in Fresno and an hour later and $8.25 I was on my way . No problem ,just a hassle !! It was this or 1200 miles !
drove 200 miles today. Now at 520 miles. Will oxygen sensor now pass smog??
Old 07-06-2021, 12:26 PM
SoCal C8
Burning Brakes

Received 1,281 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by mnext02
drove 200 miles today. Now at 520 miles. Will oxygen sensor now pass smog??
Check with an OBDII reader to see if the sensor is ready. It can take up to 1000 miles according to GM. Mine flipped at 700.
Old 07-06-2021, 12:48 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 734 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal C8
Check with an OBDII reader to see if the sensor is ready. It can take up to 1000 miles according to GM. Mine flipped at 700.

Invest in an inexpensive OBDll reader to check for complete readiness codes, then bring it in once completed. Some states will allow one or a particular readiness code to be incomplete and still pass.

Last edited by Mike's LS3; 07-06-2021 at 12:48 PM.
Old 07-06-2021, 02:05 PM
StrayDog
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike's LS3
Invest in an inexpensive OBDll reader to check for complete readiness codes, then bring it in once completed. Some states will allow one or a particular readiness code to be incomplete and still pass.
totally agree
Old 07-06-2021, 09:55 PM
Stingray Sam
Pro

Received 258 Likes on 101 Posts

I bought my new C8 from an out-of-state dealer and had it shipped by enclosed transport to California. I’ve only put 55 miles on it while I wait to have it ceramic coated and clear wrapped. It’s in the detail shop for several days now so I decided to call the Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) Referee today to ask about smog. I’ve not taken it to a smog inspection station.

They acknowledged that new cars may have to be driven thousands of miles before the various monitors in the car will be ready to pass a smog test. They asked for my VIN and set up a phone appointment to evaluate the car. Then they will schedule a vehicle inspection and for a fee of $8.25, once they’ve verified the car and the manufacturer smog sticker, will give me a certificate that will allow me to register the car.

That’s way cheaper than a regular smog test and makes more sense than trying to put hundreds or even thousands of miles on the car before it will pass. Finally, California has made something simpler, not more complicated and actually reduced the cost in the process . What were they thinking????
The following users liked this post:
Vet Interested (07-09-2021)
Old 07-07-2021, 07:34 PM
mnext02
Advanced

Originally Posted by Stingray Sam
I bought my new C8 from an out-of-state dealer and had it shipped by enclosed transport to California. I’ve only put 55 miles on it while I wait to have it ceramic coated and clear wrapped. It’s in the detail shop for several days now so I decided to call the Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) Referee today to ask about smog. I’ve not taken it to a smog inspection station.

They acknowledged that new cars may have to be driven thousands of miles before the various monitors in the car will be ready to pass a smog test. They asked for my VIN and set up a phone appointment to evaluate the car. Then they will schedule a vehicle inspection and for a fee of $8.25, once they’ve verified the car and the manufacturer smog sticker, will give me a certificate that will allow me to register the car.

That’s way cheaper than a regular smog test and makes more sense than trying to put hundreds or even thousands of miles on the car before it will pass. Finally, California has made something simpler, not more complicated and actually reduced the cost in the process . What were they thinking????
I tried that. I called them on June 29th. They told me they would call me back within 10-15 BUSINESS days. It’s now been 6 business days. I called them again today because it seems like weeks ago. They told me it’s only been 6 business days. If they ever call me they said I then have to upload docs to prove the car is mine then eventually I can pay the $8.25 and get the cert. funny the dmv happily cashed my check for $5k sales tax but won’t give me my pink slip til I have smog cert. Car now has 530 miles. Drove over 200 miles Monday to get past break in period and hopefully solve oxygen sensor. Nope took to smog today, still not ready. Also it has a new error code “downshift switch circuit high”. Called service at dealer, they told me they can’t look at the car until it has at least 1100 miles. It never ends. I hate this state and I hate this car. I paid $64k for the car and a guy offered me $95k for it. I would sell it but don’t have the pink slip cuz I can’t get smog certificate. 🤬🤬🤬🤬😡😡😡
Old 07-07-2021, 08:44 PM
E TKIT RIDE
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Ca dmv

Originally Posted by SoCal C8
Yes, CA will be happy to take your money. That will buy you 30 days after you pay the registration to get the VIN inspected (right there at the DMV) and to get a smog cert. After that it’s either the Ref or penalties along with no valid registration in any state….so technically you can’t drive it.
I work next door to a DMV and know the manager. I explained the situation and he said they will grant extensions until the car passes. Either way, a total BS hassle from the most over taxed state in the union. Pure and simple money grab. If work did not keep me here, I'd move....well maybe, the weather is pretty awesome! Ha ha... by the way @SoCal C8 I remember when Simi Valley was the total boonies! Now super nice, love that area!
Old 07-07-2021, 08:47 PM
E TKIT RIDE
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Ca dmv

Well, I should have read all the posts before commenting! I stand corrected.... and I learned something new about the BAR, who I will absolutely contact after reading your post. Thank you @Stingray Sam
Old 07-07-2021, 09:02 PM
SoCal C8
Burning Brakes

Received 1,281 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by E TKIT RIDE
I work next door to a DMV and know the manager. I explained the situation and he said they will grant extensions until the car passes. Either way, a total BS hassle from the most over taxed state in the union. Pure and simple money grab. If work did not keep me here, I'd move....well maybe, the weather is pretty awesome! Ha ha... by the way @SoCal C8 I remember when Simi Valley was the total boonies! Now super nice, love that area!
Been here since 1987…..saw it grow up in front of my eyes! If it just wasn’t in CA it would be perfect.
Old 07-07-2021, 09:06 PM
tsigwing
Burning Brakes

Received 975 Likes on 420 Posts

I tried that. I called them on June 29th. They told me they would call me back within 10-15 BUSINESS days. It’s now been 6 business days. I called them again today because it seems like weeks ago. They told me it’s only been 6 business days. If they ever call me they said I then have to upload docs to prove the car is mine then eventually I can pay the $8.25 and get the cert. funny the dmv happily cashed my check for $5k sales tax but won’t give me my pink slip til I have smog cert. Car now has 530 miles. Drove over 200 miles Monday to get past break in period and hopefully solve oxygen sensor. Nope took to smog today, still not ready. Also it has a new error code “downshift switch circuit high”. Called service at dealer, they told me they can’t look at the car until it has at least 1100 miles. It never ends. I hate this state and I hate this car. I paid $64k for the car and a guy offered me $95k for it. I would sell it but don’t have the pink slip cuz I can’t get smog certificate. 🤬🤬🤬🤬😡😡😡
say what?
Old 07-07-2021, 10:04 PM
Stingray Sam
Pro

Received 258 Likes on 101 Posts

@mnext02 A couple questions. You say you were told they’d call you back in 10-15 business days? When I called, the lady I spoke with set an appointment for a phone interview on a specific date at a specific time. The number I called was 1-800-622-7733. See this link: https://asktheref.org/Information/Mo...iness-Concerns

You said you paid $5,000 in sales tax. That seems high. Didn’t you get credit for the out-of-state sales tax you already paid? By law California sales tax on new cars is offset for California residents by any sales tax paid to the state where the car was purchased. You should have received a credit for that.

Hating California bureaucracy I understand, but why do you hate the car? The monitor readiness protocols are the same in all new cars, not just the Corvette. It’s just when you buy in-state you never realize the smog monitoring systems aren’t ready because you don’t have to do that initial smog test. And be aware that if you or the dealer disconnects the battery, however briefly, the system resets and you’re back to square one.
Old 07-09-2021, 11:30 AM
GlennSullivan
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 67 Posts

I have now been to the smog place 3 times. Still won’t read the oxygen sensor. Car now has 200 miles on it. This is very frustrating. I went to the DMV in Santa Paula today as I was told it was a good one to go to - not too busy. There was a long line an hour before close. I left as I wasn’t guaranteed to get in. Then I called the dmv to make an appointment by the time I got through they were closed. Very frustrating. I hate California.

I also have someone that wants to buy the car for $95k. I am trying to find out if I can just sell it to them without registering it in my name and paying sales tax first. If anyone knows the answer to this question I would appreciate it.

thx
frustrated
Couple of responses to your questions
1) If you have the Manufacturers Certificate of Origin (MSO) and your name is not filled in, then you should be able to transfer the car before registering it, at least in NY and FL.

2) Search Google for ODBII Drive Cycle. Find one related to current model GM and follow it with a scanner connected to the ODBII port, watching as all of the sensors come online. As others said, the process is different for various makes / years. There are very specific steps and order of same to get all sensors online quickly.

3) Once you get it successfully inspected and registered, keep the vehicle on a battery tender whenever not used as todays vehicles will quickly discharge batteries and if that happens or you disconnect the battery, all of the sensors will go offline and you will need to start over. Learned this with my Vette, Viper and Tahoe.
Old 07-09-2021, 05:43 PM
mnext02
Advanced

@mnext02 A couple questions. You say you were told they’d call you back in 10-15 business days? When I called, the lady I spoke with set an appointment for a phone interview on a specific date at a specific time. The number I called was 1-800-622-7733. See this link: https://asktheref.org/Information/Mo...iness-Concerns

You said you paid $5,000 in sales tax. That seems high. Didn’t you get credit for the out-of-state sales tax you already paid? By law California sales tax on new cars is offset for California residents by any sales tax paid to the state where the car was purchased. You should have received a credit for that.

Hating California bureaucracy I understand, but why do you hate the car? The monitor readiness protocols are the same in all new cars, not just the Corvette. It’s just when you buy in-state you never realize the smog monitoring systems aren’t ready because you don’t have to do that initial smog test. And be aware that if you or the dealer disconnects the battery, however briefly, the system resets and you’re back to square one.
I called the same number. Talked to a lady that never shuts up. No she didn’t set an appointment. She said someone would call me back within 15 business days to gather more info and setup an appointment. It’s been like 8 business days now, no call. Hate this state!!
I paid zero sales tax to state I bought car from.
Old 07-09-2021, 05:49 PM
mnext02
Advanced

Originally Posted by GlennSullivan
Couple of responses to your questions
1) If you have the Manufacturers Certificate of Origin (MSO) and your name is not filled in, then you should be able to transfer the car before registering it, at least in NY and FL.

2) Search Google for ODBII Drive Cycle. Find one related to current model GM and follow it with a scanner connected to the ODBII port, watching as all of the sensors come online. As others said, the process is different for various makes / years. There are very specific steps and order of same to get all sensors online quickly.

3) Once you get it successfully inspected and registered, keep the vehicle on a battery tender whenever not used as todays vehicles will quickly discharge batteries and if that happens or you disconnect the battery, all of the sensors will go offline and you will need to start over. Learned this with my Vette, Viper and Tahoe.

Update: took the car to my local mechanic friend today. He told me drive the car from here (Camarillo) to Oxnard on the back roads, and back, stay under 55 mph the whole way and come back and see me and I guarantee the oxygen sensor will be ready. Did that and guess what.. STILL NOT READY!!! 600 miles on the car now!! Hate California!!! 😡😡😡😡
Old 07-09-2021, 06:15 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Man I hope you get this straightened out. I am for sure gonna do a courtesy delivery now.
The following users liked this post:
mingo222 (07-16-2021)
Old 07-15-2021, 09:32 PM
mnext02
Advanced

Update. Finally got a call from the smog referee today. (Day 14 of 15 business days they said they would call me in). He told me to email in my paperwork from DMV and odometer reading. Hopefully I can get an appt after he receives to get this cleared up. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Get notified of new replies

To Brought my new C8 in for smog it’s not ready 🤦🏻‍♂️

Old 07-16-2021, 09:13 AM
GlennSullivan
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 67 Posts

Here are some of the ODBII drive cycles I've used for my Tahoe and C6 Corvette. See Both Attachments
Attached Files
File Type: doc
OBDII Drive Cycle #2.doc (43.0 KB, 74 views)
File Type: doc
OBDII Drive Cycle.doc (40.0 KB, 42 views)
Old 07-16-2021, 10:17 AM
BigButtLover
Safety Car

Received 490 Likes on 229 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Update: took the car to my local mechanic friend today. He told me drive the car from here (Camarillo) to Oxnard on the back roads, and back, stay under 55 mph the whole way and come back and see me and I guarantee the oxygen sensor will be ready. Did that and guess what.. STILL NOT READY!!! 600 miles on the car now!! Hate California!!! 😡😡😡😡
I would think you’re probably getting close. I was good after 665 miles. Make sure you include some stop and go driving. I went through this also. Very frustrating, but eventually you will get there.
Old 07-16-2021, 01:43 PM
mnext02
Advanced

Originally Posted by GlennSullivan
Here are some of the ODBII drive cycles I've used for my Tahoe and C6 Corvette. See Both Attachments
tried every drive cycle possible. Hopefully the ref will clear me. Cheaper than smog too 😜

Quick Reply: Brought my new C8 in for smog it’s not ready 🤦🏻‍♂️