Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camaro vs Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2021, 08:08 AM
C8J
Le Mans Master

Received 3,152 Likes on 1,717 Posts
Default Camaro vs Corvette

Not being an aficionado like many here, what are the basic differences (aside from the obvious body style), between the Camaro and the Corvette? The Camaro was (in my limited knowledge base) for those that could not afford all of the features the Corvette offered - Walmartization. It had some of the power, but not the handling.

Note: Looking for edumacation and not to start a thread war that my questions seem to initiate at times.

I don't want to be ignorant as I will probably be at events/gatherings eventually.

Last edited by C8J; 06-07-2021 at 08:09 AM.

Popular Reply

06-07-2021, 02:46 PM
hawk02
Drifting

Received 1,552 Likes on 616 Posts

Originally Posted by C8J
Not being an aficionado like many here, what are the basic differences (aside from the obvious body style), between the Camaro and the Corvette? The Camaro was (in my limited knowledge base) for those that could not afford all of the features the Corvette offered - Walmartization. It had some of the power, but not the handling.

Note: Looking for edumacation and not to start a thread war that my questions seem to initiate at times.

I don't want to be ignorant as I will probably be at events/gatherings eventually.
I own both a 6th generation (2017) Camaro ZL1 and a 2021 C8 HTC so I can tell you firsthand the differences between the two cars.

First, let me say the Camaro is no "Walmartization". I had to spend damn near $11K in options on the Corvette just to keep parody with the Camaro. Such things as the heads-up display, heated/ventilated/memory seats, blind spot sensors, performance exhaust, mag ride shocks, suede (Alcantara) interior, and Ricaro seats all come standard on the $65,000 MSRP ZL1. The only things my Corvette has that the Camaro doesn't is the front and rearview mirror cameras and wireless Apple Car Play. If my Camaro was a later model year, it too would have the rearview mirror camera and wireless Apple Car Play.

The 6th gen Camaro chassis is based on the Alpha platform from the Cadillac. It is stiff. Jack up the front of the car and the rear wheel will come off the ground, that's how stiff the chassis is. The Camaro underpinnings are made out of more aluminum than previous generations to help keep weight down.

As far as to build quality, they're both about the same. The interior on the 6th generation Camaros is a marked improvement over the 5th generation in terms of fit and finish. The body panels on both cars fit about the same. I have no issues with either car.

As far as handling, both cars corner very well. The Corvette is about 500 lbs lighter with the engine behind the driver so it feels a little more nimble than the Camaro. The Camaro has the majority of its weight in the long front end so it can feel big and heavy.

With the engines in each car being different (NA vs Supercharged), it's hard to make a fair comparison between the two. The acceleration of the Corvette is very controlled and linear. Start jamming air in the cylinders with the supercharger and the Camaro takes off like a scalded dog. I tell people my Corvette is quicker but my Camaro is faster. My Corvette has yet to make my sphincter pucker. I can't say that about the Camaro.

And finally, the biggest difference between the two cars is the Camaro still comes standard with a manual transmission. A 10-speed automatic is an option. There are many times I wish the Corvette had a manual tranny. The DCT is good but in my opinion, a true manual transmission would have made the C8 almost perfect.

To sum up, the Camaro ZL1 is no slouch. You don't do 7:16 around the Nuremberg Ring if you're poorly engineered. I'm am truly blessed to be able to own both cars.

Old 06-07-2021, 08:49 AM
proeagles
Melting Slicks

Received 2,161 Likes on 898 Posts

The simple answer is two seater vs four seater and now a DCT trans. Sports car vs pony car.
The following 7 users liked this post by proeagles:
bullmarket (11-03-2022), cruisinjoe (01-22-2022), JRYELLOWCORVETTE (02-13-2022), msm859 (06-07-2021), Rapid Fred (06-07-2021), thebroz1138 (02-14-2022), thrilled (02-22-2022) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-07-2021, 08:54 AM
Raz0r
Pro

Received 341 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by C8J

The basis for the Camaro was to compete against the Mustang. Chevy needed a cheaper option to play in the space with the Mustang since Ford was ruling the market there. As for all of the technical difference that is outside of my knowledge, but the concept was to take market share from Ford.
Old 06-07-2021, 08:58 AM
Phil1098
Race Director

Received 11,607 Likes on 4,638 Posts

The Camaro is now on the Alpha platform and it's a shared piece. It handles extremely well and is a great car.

The following 4 users liked this post by Phil1098:
at7000ft (02-13-2022), Robert13567 (02-13-2022), thebroz1138 (02-14-2022), zrracer (11-02-2022)
Old 06-07-2021, 09:12 AM
Ed Cordes
Melting Slicks

Received 802 Likes on 272 Posts

IMHO, if you need the back seat the Camaro is a wonderful car. Is it a "SuperCar"? No. Is it a super car with great handling and performance in a 4 seat package costing less than a Vette? - Yes!
Old 06-07-2021, 09:16 AM
Bird67
Melting Slicks

Received 3,290 Likes on 1,504 Posts

I found the fit/finish/materials of the C7 to be of significantly higher quality than the same year Camaros, with a more solid "thunk" when closing doors, hood and trunk. So it felt to me that the difference is more than just 2 vs 4 seats, it feels the Camaro is built to a lower price point. This is not a Camaro bash, just my subjective comparison. They are not two versions of the same car.
The following users liked this post:
CoreBett (05-05-2022)
Old 06-07-2021, 11:21 AM
BIG Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 4,684 Likes on 1,862 Posts

And there’s a Camaro ZL1 version with a 6.2L SUPERCHARGED V8 DI ENGINE. MSRP from $64,195.

650 hp @ 6400 rpm, 650 lb-ft of torque @ 3600 rpm with Variable Valve Timing and Direct Injection

Last edited by BIG Dave; 06-07-2021 at 11:21 AM.
Old 06-07-2021, 11:31 AM
millpond
Melting Slicks

Received 379 Likes on 197 Posts

I got a 2021 LT1 (455 HP, manual) to carry me over till my ordered C8 arrives. I am liking the manual so much that I am considering canceling the C8.

The following 8 users liked this post by millpond:
4R27TH (11-01-2022), CJ Willys (06-07-2021), dvilin (02-14-2022), Greg00Coupe (06-07-2021), Supersonic 427 (11-01-2022), thebroz1138 (02-14-2022), USMC 0802 (06-08-2021), yub (10-31-2022) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-07-2021, 01:56 PM
Blade2382
Pro

Received 403 Likes on 207 Posts
Modified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist

Since I have had 3 Camaro's in the last 11 years and this is my first Vette I will drop in my notes here:

Differences:
Camaro: The driving experience is more raw. Even with the MRC on the 16 Camaro, as advanced as it felt in that car, I can see how far behind it was compared to the C8's MRC. Power delivery was a little slower and you can really feel the heft of the car as you drove. I loved every Camaro I owned, the cars were just insanely fun and looked badass. I'd considered the two 5th Gens 4 seaters, because there actually was room to fit four moderately sized people in there, on the 16 the rear seats were a joke.

C8: This car is like driving something from another dimension compared to the Camaro. With all the V8 power readily available thanks to the DCT and the ME platform, the power delivery is instantaneous yet smooth at the same time and still feels gradual. The suspension I already talked about is unbelievable, it truly is, I just don't understand how they set up a suspension this smooth at this price point. I dig the way the storage is in the car, I constantly use the frunk and leave the trunk for special bigger items like golf bags. FYI...I couldn't even fit one golf bag in my 16 Camaro just because of how small the trunk opening was. Looks wise its not even close, this car is a stunner to myself and every person does a double take when they see the car. They are not trying to see what it is, they just admire the design. When they find out its a Vette, they are of course surprised and also very happy that it is.

Why did I buy and then kept buying Camaro's since 2010?
I had a lease on my TSX expiring, and I had moved up a bit in the world so I really wanted a fun sports car. I also had a budget due to student loans so I was shopping around back then. As much as I loved the Camaro, I though even the entry level V6 started at 32k or something so when I found it was 22k starting price, I couldn't wait to order one. I turned that v6 into project and it was an awesome fun project, but I had maxed it out without spending thousands on a FI. So when City Chevy offered me an insane trade in offer for it, I jumped to a 2012 SS/RS, btw someone put 120k miles on that V6 after I sold it until 2020. The 2012 SS was an awesome car, I didn't do much except a muffler delete, air intake swap and suspension mod (Sway bars/springs) and that car was still tight, but someone ran a red and t-boned me and totaled the car. With the residual insurance money, I was sitting at the dealership during their annual red tag sale and had decided on the 2016 2SS when a C7 was catching my eye, but I passed because at that moment the ME rumors were strong and I wanted to wait it out.

And that last sentence is the reason why I waited so long to get a Vette. I love Corvettes but the first two times I bought a Camaro it was financially logical while also fulfilling the inner child's desire of a Camaro since I was 10 years old. If I ever made a jump it was for mid engined car and I had been holding out hope for a while that GM would finally put one together after nearly 70 years of research. And they did finally and once again at a price point that made me drop my jaw.

I have had the C8 for 667 miles now and I think its the best car I have driven (I have driven Maserattis, Jaguars, Lambos, Rolls either through renting or friends) and definitely the best car I have owned.

Last edited by Blade2382; 06-07-2021 at 01:58 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by Blade2382:
Davesfastcar (02-14-2022), Flex182 (02-13-2022), johnodrake (11-01-2022), Malfunkshun'd (10-31-2022), shavdog (02-13-2022), Wife said I could (11-01-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-07-2021, 02:05 PM
vettebyassociation
Instructor

Received 128 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by C8J
The Camaro was (in my limited knowledge base) for those that could not afford all of the features the Corvette offered - Walmartization. It had some of the power, but not the handling.
Back in the day that may have been the case but no longer. The current gen Camaro is in a lot of ways every bit as good as a Corvette. The nice thing about the Camaro is certain packages really take the car too another level. Get a 1LE SS camaro and you have a car that can hang with a C7 Z51. Get a Camaro ZL1 and you have a car that can hang with a Z06. I've had Camaro's and Vette's. I really enjoyed the Gen 5 1LE (my ex owned it when we were together) but preferred my C6 Grand sport I had at the time. Then she upgraded to a Gen 6 ZL1 and I got a C7 Z06. Have to say I preferred her ZL1 over my Z06. Currently with my C8 I prefer my C8 but had my order for the C8 taken much longer I would be looking at a ZL1 1LE. Chevy really stepped up the Camaro and I hope they plan for Gen 7 instead of killing it off as is rumored.
The following 2 users liked this post by vettebyassociation:
docross (01-22-2022), spireland (01-22-2022)
Old 06-07-2021, 02:06 PM
Newdude
Pro

Received 493 Likes on 245 Posts

If you step into SS 1LE, ZL1 and ZL1 1LE, you can't go wrong. Three VERY capable weapons on the track and street. Corvette (or better) performance at a bargain price. The ZL1 with the A10 is a rocket ship.

If it were my money, one of those three Camaro models over the C7, C8 over the C7.

Last edited by Newdude; 06-07-2021 at 02:09 PM.
Old 06-07-2021, 02:09 PM
c_r_h
Racer

Received 237 Likes on 127 Posts

I have a 4th gen Camaro SS with 6MT and have driven 6th gen manual cars several times. I considered buying a 6th gen until the C8 came out. The newer Camaros are years ahead of my 4th gen, which is still a fun car to drive, just more raw and less powerful. They are the same basic concept, though, similar seating position, rear seats which can be used for luggage or jackets and a photo bag, but not for any real person unless the people in front are short. A lot of the long time Corvette owners here may laugh about me, but I am keeping the SS when the C8 arrives. Having at least one car with a true manual transmission in the garage, and a car that is very different from the sports car C8 makes sense to me. To me at least these are two entirely different cars that can be enjoyed for their different nature.

If I had to choose between a Camaro and a C8: C8 for me.
Old 06-07-2021, 02:09 PM
OrioleFan
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 33 Posts

There have been so many threads on Corvette vs Camaro, please use the Search option or you might get arrested by the Forum *****.
sdurg24 (02-13-2022)
Old 06-07-2021, 02:15 PM
LT2/3LT
Pro

Received 711 Likes on 296 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Winner

Originally Posted by C8J
Not being an aficionado like many here, what are the basic differences (aside from the obvious body style), between the Camaro and the Corvette?

Aluminum and fiberglass??

Old 06-07-2021, 02:22 PM
Majestic94
Safety Car

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by LT2/3LT
Aluminum and fiberglass??
You mean Aluminum vs SMc.
Corvettes haven’t been fiberglass in decades.
Old 06-07-2021, 02:33 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

I had a C7 Z51 with magride. Liked the car a lot. I test drove a Gen6 SS1LE Camaro and immediately preferred it to my Corvette. It had a better gearbox, I liked the feedback and handling better, and it was far more functional. The SS1LE is one of the best put together cars GM has ever made. If you look at laptimes, it and the ZL1 1LE embarrass cars that cost far more at the track.

I eventually ended up getting the SS1LE and am in the process now of selling for almost $9K more than I paid new.

Last edited by thill444; 06-07-2021 at 02:34 PM.
Old 06-07-2021, 02:34 PM
at7000ft
Burning Brakes

Received 381 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Cordes
IMHO, if you need the back seat the Camaro is a wonderful car. Is it a "SuperCar"? No. Is it a super car with great handling and performance in a 4 seat package costing less than a Vette? - Yes!
Agree, had a 16 2SS, excellent handling and same engine and manual trans as the base C7 (minus 7th gear). On the used market a better performance bargain than a C7 IMO. Was available with several options not available on any C7, like heated steering wheel and BSD. But of course it's not a vette.

Get notified of new replies

To Camaro vs Corvette

Old 06-07-2021, 02:46 PM
hawk02
Drifting

Received 1,552 Likes on 616 Posts

Originally Posted by C8J

I own both a 6th generation (2017) Camaro ZL1 and a 2021 C8 HTC so I can tell you firsthand the differences between the two cars.

First, let me say the Camaro is no "Walmartization". I had to spend damn near $11K in options on the Corvette just to keep parody with the Camaro. Such things as the heads-up display, heated/ventilated/memory seats, blind spot sensors, performance exhaust, mag ride shocks, suede (Alcantara) interior, and Ricaro seats all come standard on the $65,000 MSRP ZL1. The only things my Corvette has that the Camaro doesn't is the front and rearview mirror cameras and wireless Apple Car Play. If my Camaro was a later model year, it too would have the rearview mirror camera and wireless Apple Car Play.

The 6th gen Camaro chassis is based on the Alpha platform from the Cadillac. It is stiff. Jack up the front of the car and the rear wheel will come off the ground, that's how stiff the chassis is. The Camaro underpinnings are made out of more aluminum than previous generations to help keep weight down.

As far as to build quality, they're both about the same. The interior on the 6th generation Camaros is a marked improvement over the 5th generation in terms of fit and finish. The body panels on both cars fit about the same. I have no issues with either car.

As far as handling, both cars corner very well. The Corvette is about 500 lbs lighter with the engine behind the driver so it feels a little more nimble than the Camaro. The Camaro has the majority of its weight in the long front end so it can feel big and heavy.

With the engines in each car being different (NA vs Supercharged), it's hard to make a fair comparison between the two. The acceleration of the Corvette is very controlled and linear. Start jamming air in the cylinders with the supercharger and the Camaro takes off like a scalded dog. I tell people my Corvette is quicker but my Camaro is faster. My Corvette has yet to make my sphincter pucker. I can't say that about the Camaro.

And finally, the biggest difference between the two cars is the Camaro still comes standard with a manual transmission. A 10-speed automatic is an option. There are many times I wish the Corvette had a manual tranny. The DCT is good but in my opinion, a true manual transmission would have made the C8 almost perfect.

To sum up, the Camaro ZL1 is no slouch. You don't do 7:16 around the Nuremberg Ring if you're poorly engineered. I'm am truly blessed to be able to own both cars.

The following 9 users liked this post by hawk02:
aetepi (06-07-2021), BLUEPSTU (02-13-2022), C8J (06-07-2021), hokieZ (06-07-2021), millpond (06-07-2021), SurfnSun (02-13-2022), Telepierre (09-27-2021), therealviper (11-02-2022), Wife said I could (11-01-2022) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-07-2021, 02:50 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 4,009 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Cordes
Honestly, the backseat on the 6th gen Camaro is a joke...so is the trunk for that matter. I own an M6 ZL1 Vert and it is an absolute blast to drive. I'd compare it to my C7 Z06. Yes, I've been able to get a 3rd passenger in a few rides but it is not comfortable and the top was down.

Golf clubs or long gun cases will not fit in the trunk, and have to put them in the front seat OR not drive with the top down. And don't get me started on the tiny armrest storage or the cupholders being inline with the gear shift (no morning Coffee for the Dude).

Overall, ironically, the Corvette is more versatile.
Blade2382 (06-07-2021)
Old 06-07-2021, 03:26 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,058 Likes on 1,310 Posts

6th Gen 1LE is great car whether in SS or ZL1 trim and either can be had with the 10-speed or manual, my problem is they’re heavier than a Vette and have poor visibility. Other than that I’d gladly own one if I needed a back seat, but then I’d probably consider something with 4-doors to make the back seat more useable if it was my only vehicle.

Quick Reply: Camaro vs Corvette