Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lift Blue Cap C/S #

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2021, 09:34 AM
C8J
Le Mans Master

Received 3,152 Likes on 1,717 Posts
Default Lift Blue Cap C/S #

Posting a dedicated thread here instead of mentioning it inside my first/annual GM maintenance visit to my dealership.

As part of my visit, my C8 cerified technician reviews and Installs every current issue (recall, tabs,...). As I reviewed the 3 pages of items, I noticed that the replacement blue cap for the front lift appears to have an official number for warranty coverage now. Hope this helps those that don't have friendly dealerships. Mine was done by my dealership months ago based on forum posts.

Last edited by C8J; 05-28-2021 at 09:34 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by C8J:
bluan (05-30-2021), dragnz90 (05-28-2021), RKCRLR (05-28-2021)
Old 05-28-2021, 11:04 AM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,200 Likes on 3,401 Posts

Do you know if your new cap came with a lanyard?
Old 05-28-2021, 02:07 PM
NextOne
Melting Slicks

Received 1,046 Likes on 645 Posts

Other than color, how is the blue cap different? Anyone have written GM statements indicating the problem and the fix?
Old 05-28-2021, 04:55 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,200 Likes on 3,401 Posts

Originally Posted by NextOne
Other than color, how is the blue cap different? Anyone have written GM statements indicating the problem and the fix?
1) Removes the vent groove in the cap. This eliminates the leak path.
2) Makes the diaphragm more like a glorified gasket.
The following 2 users liked this post by RKCRLR:
bluan (05-30-2021), hamta (05-28-2021)
Old 05-28-2021, 05:48 PM
C8J
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by RKCRLR
I had my Service Manager order the cap prior to the official announcement other than the email posts on the forum. When the cap came in, it did not have a lanyard. When i did my GM authorized first year service (a few days ago) part of the process is to address ALL outstanding issues. As I mentioned there were a total of 5 recalls (Blue Cap 1 of the 5) already performed prior at N/C under warranty), 1 GM Required Maintenance (Chang OIL & Filter plus Change TX Filter), and Installation of my Radiator Guards that I had them do at my (minor) expense.

Last edited by C8J; 05-28-2021 at 05:49 PM.
Old 05-28-2021, 07:00 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,647 Likes on 6,646 Posts

Nope! Had Service Manger order mine ~2 months ago when part number came out. Perhaps the recall that just issued does. But I'm still using my Wrist Sweat Band "just in case" and it looks nice!
Was at dealer today to get hatch latch fixed. The sheet the tech had for my C8 showed a recall on black caps, replaced with Blue. The description was that cryptic. Service Manger said he got a service bulletin for what they installed on my C8 3 weeks ago. Did not ask to look at it.

The Blue cap has no vent and a very stiff diaphragm. Mine is working fine and has no issue with the diaphragm buckling, which two form members posted with theirs. Pic is check after 3 weeks of use and many lifts.

Last edited by JerryU; 05-28-2021 at 07:06 PM.
Old 05-28-2021, 07:43 PM
NextOne
Melting Slicks

So my 12/20/20 build was in for its first oil change last week and the only bulletin/check that came up in their service list was to check to make sure the A/C drain line was properly connected into the center channel. Nothing on wheel porosity. Nothing about a radio label. Nothing about a bolt on the driver's side door. Nothing about the front lift cap. Has a lift bulletin been issued in the last ten days?

My car has the black cap, but no leaks when I last checked a couple of months ago. Are only certain 2020 VINs affected?

Last edited by NextOne; 05-28-2021 at 07:44 PM.
Old 05-28-2021, 08:01 PM
C8J
Le Mans Master

The check to make sure the A/C drain line was properly connected into the center channel was never mentioned. I will ask when I go back for the new wheel in a few weeks.
Old 05-29-2021, 07:37 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

So my 12/20/20 build was in for its first oil change last week and the only bulletin/check that came up in their service list was to check to make sure the A/C drain line was properly connected into the center channel. Nothing on wheel porosity. Nothing about a radio label. Nothing about a bolt on the driver's side door. Nothing about the front lift cap. Has a lift bulletin been issued in the last ten days?

My car has the black cap, but no leaks when I last checked a couple of months ago. Are only certain 2020 VINs affected?
Yep had mine in 3 weeks ago to have the Blue Cap installed that I had Service Manager order. There was no recall at that time. However my VIN showed a check of the wheels was needed. They were fine.

Told yesterday that Lift Cap Service Bulletin had just issued. Tech's sheet showed it was needed for my car (but I already had installed 3 weeks ago at my request.)
Don't remember seeing the A/C drain and never heard about the front fender bolt whcih was reported by a few of the first C8's delivered. But IMO that was clearly a mix-up on the bolts in a bin which GM no doubt corrected. Frankly I never even looked for my Sceptered 2020 delivered C8.

The only "radio issue" I know of is part of the 15 minute software update. I like most have not been able to get it loaded. Always said it was aborted. So spent ~45 minutes with Corvette Tech yesterday while he connected the car to the GM system via the OBD port and his laptop. Took several tries and finally the tell-tail radio not shutting off when the door opened stopped. BUT he wasn't 100% sure and when I got home it said updated needed. Pushed the Install button but as usual it still said unload aborted. However the radio shuts off. Told the Tech I'll be back for the 12 month oil change and DCT filer change in mid August so if still and issue he can look at again! He expressed his frustration with the system as he has had problems with it on some Silverado's etc. Said it doesn't let him interact with the system all he can do is plug in. He said when he has had to call tach support they have transferred to a higher level support that takes over his laptop!
Old 05-29-2021, 08:30 AM
NextOne
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JerryU
Yep had mine in 3 weeks ago to have the Blue Cap installed that I had Service Manager order. There was no recall at that time. However my VIN showed a check of the wheels was needed. They were fine.

Told yesterday that Lift Cap Service Bulletin had just issued. Tech's sheet showed it was needed for my car (but I already had installed 3 weeks ago at my request.)
Thanks for this big tidbit. Would be nice to know if this is for all 2020's or specific VINs. It appears that the wheel porosity, A/C drain and other checks are very VIN specific. You won't know until you go in for service and see what their system says. So I'll go back next week and have them run my VIN again for the reservoir cap.

Last edited by NextOne; 05-29-2021 at 08:32 AM.
Old 05-29-2021, 08:57 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^
Yep, my VIN apparently required a wheel check even though when I replaced by brake pads didn't see anything on the back and the fronts were perfect. When checked they were fine. Could have been the same with the AC drain, not my VIN. BUT all Lift reservoirs with a Black cap need replacement. That was all 2020s and a lot of 2021s.

Last edited by JerryU; 05-29-2021 at 08:59 AM.
Old 05-29-2021, 06:50 PM
16falcon
Drifting

Received 1,168 Likes on 624 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21

I think the blue cap bulletin will apply to all 2020s and the first month or two of 2021s. My December 2020 build of MY 2021 C8 had the leaky black cap. I think the factory started installing the blue cap in February. I bought my own cap. Maybe I’ll put the black cap on when I take it in for service and get a spare blue cap.
Old 05-29-2021, 08:39 PM
C8J
Le Mans Master

Return for credit to dealership that made you wait.
Old 05-30-2021, 02:43 AM
bluan
Pro

Received 590 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by C8J
Posting a dedicated thread here instead of mentioning it inside my first/annual GM maintenance visit to my dealership.

As part of my visit, my C8 cerified technician reviews and Installs every current issue (recall, tabs,...). As I reviewed the 3 pages of items, I noticed that the replacement blue cap for the front lift appears to have an official number for warranty coverage now. Hope this helps those that don't have friendly dealerships. Mine was done by my dealership months ago based on forum posts.
Thank you for the lift cap warranty info, C8J! Good to know this, as next time when I bring my car in for the first oil and DCT filter change, I'll ask for the blue cap.

The reason I don't feel in any hurry to go get the blue cap, is that of course my modified black cap with the groove removed no longer leaks, so it works just like the blue cap. And I am also not sure of the local dealer would get it for me since I bought the car from MacMulkin. I did ask MacMulkin if they could get the blue cap for me, but I never gotten an answer from them. Maybe they don't care about getting a warranty part for me since I am just a remote and past customer that they might feel no longer obligated to get it for me since I'd never do warranty repair there. Obviously this is disappointing, but fortunately I have my black cap modified and working so I don't need to bother them about this.

Old 05-30-2021, 06:35 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by bluan
And I am also not sure of the local dealer would get it for me since I bought the car from MacMulkin. I did ask MacMulkin if they could get the blue cap for me, but I never gotten an answer from them. Maybe they don't care about getting a warranty part for me since I am just a remote and past customer that they might feel no longer obligated to get it for me since I'd never do warranty repair there. Obviously this is disappointing, but fortunately I have my black cap modified and working so I don't need to bother them about this.
The dealer who will be getting your oil service and DCT filter, free for 1st will be happy to order it for you. They get paid via GM to install, parts free to them. They will also get paid for all the other things your VIN says to do like in my case check wheel porosity. They want your service business after all free "stuff' as well

Last edited by JerryU; 05-30-2021 at 06:36 AM.
Old 05-30-2021, 08:20 AM
C8J
Le Mans Master

@bluan when you bring your C8 in for service, they are required to check for any "outstanding" issues since the last visit. I believe that the GM maintenance software they use will populate a list for the service advisor to provide to the service technician. My dedicated service advisor provided me that list when I made my annual appointment 3 weeks earlier.
Old 05-30-2021, 04:30 PM
bluan
Pro

Received 590 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
The dealer who will be getting your oil service and DCT filter, free for 1st will be happy to order it for you. They get paid via GM to install, parts free to them. They will also get paid for all the other things your VIN says to do like in my case check wheel porosity. They want your service business after all free "stuff' as well
Originally Posted by C8J
@bluan when you bring your C8 in for service, they are required to check for any "outstanding" issues since the last visit. I believe that the GM maintenance software they use will populate a list for the service advisor to provide to the service technician. My dedicated service advisor provided me that list when I made my annual appointment 3 weeks earlier.
Thank you Jerry and C8J!
The following users liked this post:
C8J (05-30-2021)

Get notified of new replies

To Lift Blue Cap C/S #

Old 05-30-2021, 06:23 PM
C8J
Le Mans Master

Additional Note - On that list were items I had not heard of prior to my appointment. It's a Great catch all once a year.
Old 05-30-2021, 09:30 PM
MagicGlass
Drifting

Received 1,232 Likes on 554 Posts

Mine did not I’m thinking it’s a separate part#. They do come that way now from the plant with a tether.
Old 06-02-2021, 08:09 PM
NextOne
Melting Slicks

The now infamous "blue cap" did not come up under my car's "to check" list at the dealer two weeks ago with a scheduled oil change service--and I asked about it specifically. With the update post above, I went back to the dealer yesterday and had them check the VIN again. Yep, it was now listed.

So they ordered the replacement cap and will call when it arrives. However, I will have to schedule a service visit as they are required to install it. No concern about doing so. I'll be glad to put this issue behind me.

Quick Reply: Lift Blue Cap C/S #