Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Museum Delivery (Road trip question???)

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2021, 07:03 AM
BigButtLover
Safety Car

Received 490 Likes on 229 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I trailered my car home to Texas. Had 6 miles on it when I got home, then the fun started(luckily it didn’t gain any miles while riding on the trailer). I just felt better doing it this way. To each his own.

Last edited by BigButtLover; 05-25-2021 at 11:56 AM.
Old 05-25-2021, 11:14 AM
tunaman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 110 Likes on 78 Posts

We picked up the wife’s C7 up at the Museum in June 2014, then drove to visit friends in North Carolina before hitting Lynchburg, St Louis area, KC, WY, and finally Yellowstone for a couple of days before heading home. Just under 3000 miles.

We then picked mine up in September 2015, drove to Lynchburg, then straight to Daytona where I got my first oil change. We then circumnavigated the panhandle, hit New Orleans for a couple of days, then worked our way back across the South ending up in Vegas for a few days.

I highly recommend doing so - bucket list check marks for sure. I’ll be doing it again next year for my C8, and plan to cover the northern route this time.
Old 05-25-2021, 11:50 AM
djkianoosh
Instructor

Received 116 Likes on 67 Posts

Drove 700 miles to Virginia February 1st during a light snow and freezing rain. Also drove hard. Yes, if you want to avoid chips in the radiator and on your front bumper and windshield, then don't do it. But I'm pretty sure nobody else will notice those tiny imperfections. Are you going to garage queen it? Then don't. If you're going to daily it. You'll eventually get some imperfections anyway.
Old 05-25-2021, 11:51 AM
djkianoosh
Instructor

Received 116 Likes on 67 Posts

For example here's my car in a recent photo.. Can you spot all the imperfections. Go ahead and zoom in. I don't mind.
Attached Images  
Old 05-25-2021, 12:50 PM
hawk02
Drifting

Received 1,552 Likes on 616 Posts

I drove my C8 from Florida back to Ohio in April. Spent $160 on a Novistretch Bra. Other than a few dead bug carcasses on the hood and headlights, the front end of my car had absolute zero issues. The front radiators also made it through the trip without a single bent fin. I believe the NCM will install the bra for you.

As far as break in, don’t use cruise-control for the first 500 miles, keep your speed below 80 mph and engine rpms under 4000. All three are pretty easy to follow.
Old 05-25-2021, 03:15 PM
Eating Tires
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Drive it !

The first 1500 miles, especially the first 500 were excruciating because I couldn't get enough miles on her and she had so many quick drives...start/stop which is hard on any engine, the most damage happens at start-up, the car isn't much fun during that first period when you can't get on it. It just taunts you...I can't think of a better way to get the break in out of the way than to drive it home, you might think you'll want to preserve miles on it at first, but then you'll wish it just had 1500 miles on it already. Rock chips will be your biggest worry...just leave space. These cars make remarkable road trippers. took mine to Florida and back, super comfy and fun!

My brother is waiting on his new C8 and I suggested to him to do a good road trip right away, He witnessed how long it took me to finally get to 1500 miles...thats a lot of miles especially if its not gonna be your daily driver.

Quick Reply: Museum Delivery (Road trip question???)