Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Defective transmission

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2021, 02:07 PM
kman0066
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

My defective transmission is a cracked case, causing it to leak, found out after I brought it home, found the puddle in the morning. Mine was built Aug 2021.

My guesses based upon my transmission and the other failures I've read, Tremec and GM are not doing enough QA on these. Whether that's making sure its a clean room assembly, or inspecting the cases for bad castings. Or getting damaged in transport/assembly to engine. They may not be high rate failures, but they are high impact/cost failures when they do occur. Basic six sigma stuff. They may be working on fixes and different quality procedures already, but for being one of the recipients of the broken Trans, this sucks regardless. I'm not expecting a failure rate publicized, but maybe something like, hey, we've added some new QA checks or procedures to ensure even better quality standards would be nice. I'm jaded though, being one without a car I paid for weeks, with no ETA even.
Old 10-07-2021, 02:24 PM
jimjimsC7
Pro

Received 481 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by kman0066
My defective transmission is a cracked case, causing it to leak, found out after I brought it home, found the puddle in the morning. Mine was built Aug 2021.

My guesses based upon my transmission and the other failures I've read, Tremec and GM are not doing enough QA on these. Whether that's making sure its a clean room assembly, or inspecting the cases for bad castings. Or getting damaged in transport/assembly to engine. They may not be high rate failures, but they are high impact/cost failures when they do occur. Basic six sigma stuff. They may be working on fixes and different quality procedures already, but for being one of the recipients of the broken Trans, this sucks regardless. I'm not expecting a failure rate publicized, but maybe something like, hey, we've added some new QA checks or procedures to ensure even better quality standards would be nice. I'm jaded though, being one without a car I paid for weeks, with no ETA even.
Does TN have a lemon law? In Ohio if in the shop for cumulative 30 days or more manufacturer would need to provide refund or replace with new vehicle. I actually had to use this on the purchase of a Triumph motorcycle 10 years ago, Triumph gave me a new motorcycle plus $500 worth of accessories.
Old 10-07-2021, 02:43 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,998 Likes on 1,150 Posts

For what it’s worth and probably not much…..at Carlisle I chatted quite a long time with the dude who is the head transmission engineer. I believe his name was Mike. In our 15 minute conversation he admitted there were failures but very very few. I know that’s no Comfort to someone who had it happened but he’s seemed content with his answer.
The following users liked this post:
StanNH (06-17-2022)
Old 10-07-2021, 03:15 PM
RussM05
Melting Slicks

Received 1,015 Likes on 365 Posts

I don’t like going down a rat hole of defining words. To me,“defect” in this situation is simple, broad and all encompassing term that the DCT is not operating correctly requiring dealer service/repair. There should be a list of root causes that we can and should discuss.

GM should have enough examples and have gone thru detail failure analysis and have made changes in the manufacturing process. That’s great going forward but how many cars produced have very low miles and will need repairs in the future. I doubt GM has a good handle today on how many will require repairs because of that.

Old 10-07-2021, 04:56 PM
kman0066
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jimjimsC7
Does TN have a lemon law? In Ohio if in the shop for cumulative 30 days or more manufacturer would need to provide refund or replace with new vehicle. I actually had to use this on the purchase of a Triumph motorcycle 10 years ago, Triumph gave me a new motorcycle plus $500 worth of accessories.
They do, same 30 day rule. Debating it. I assume GM wouldn't be giving me a new car, so I'd be in the back of the line again with a refund...I put my first deposit down the month after they started taking orders for the c8, back in 2019 and just now got one...sigh
Old 10-07-2021, 05:42 PM
dohabandit
Melting Slicks

Received 1,444 Likes on 804 Posts

The one thing I haven't heard anyone consider with these DCT failures is what if they are occurring due to some sort of mechanical stresses and they were working fine during initial testing and only developed a leak after cracking due to some sort of metal fatigue. So not just a simple porosity issue.
That would concern me more, because it could mean the problem is much more wide spread.

You would think that GM has access to a ton of data on these vehicles that failed and the driving patterns that they encountered prior to failure. Given that quite a few of the failures I have seen reported happened with relatively low mileage, I am more inclined to think the DCT was defective at delivery and the GM QC process is doing a weak job.
They might consider adding a fluorescent dye to the DCTF fluid to make it easier to check for leaks / cracks.
Old 12-30-2021, 10:02 AM
C8 owner
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default They need to figure this out.

Originally Posted by RussM05
GM knows and 600 may be low but we don't know, do we?

i’m a brand new C8 Corvette owner we waited two years to get the car I have a 2021 arctic white with 1837 miles on it and already having transmission problems. no one loves Corvette more I even have another one (C5). That we are using to drive around while the C8 remains in the shop. I have a Chevy Highcountry I love the Chevrolet brand but if they don’t get in front of this problem and start addressing it publicly that’s when the class action lawsuit start I agree they need some sort of public statement. There were several other C8 in the dealership shop for the same reason when I brought mine in the problem is bigger than everyone knows. I think you’re going to see it more like 10% you will see a recall on this car and it’s transmission problems. Buyer beware. Again I’m the biggest Chevrolet fan in the world. But this car has cost me more stress and more waiting than the enjoyment that I have gotten out of it. Come on Chevrolet get your act together!
Old 06-17-2022, 11:33 AM
suzukim109r
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a shudder in 1st
Old 06-17-2022, 11:55 AM
bhvrdr
Safety Car

Received 2,352 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by RVAC8
I don't even have to guess that 600 is way too much.

It's a fraction of that. Don't be so daft...
There's over 30 documented failures on this little forum alone...

...and what would we estimate is the percentage of Corvette owners on this forum vs at large?

Maybe 2 percent? 5 percent?

The admins on this forum would know but theres what, 60k+ c8 Corvettes out there roughly and probably 200 c8 owners or less that are registered here. Over 30 with transmission failures.

Id guess there's at least 600 failures based on that.
Old 06-17-2022, 12:00 PM
rkrupka
Pro

Received 276 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by bhvrdr

...and what would we estimate is the percentage of Corvette owners on this forum vs at large?

The admins on this forum would know but theres what, 60k+ c8 Corvettes out there roughly and probably 200 c8 owners or less that are registered here. Over 30 with transmission failures.

When something failed with my pickup I went online to find out about that specific failure. If someone has a problem with a C8 corvette transmission and searches online they will likely end up here.
How that is related to the number of transmission failures is anyone's guess.
Old 06-17-2022, 12:25 PM
Tin-can
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 202 Likes on 97 Posts

Please don’t buy anymore of these defective machines! I’m happy with mine, but if anymore hit the streets they will all have transmission failures. The statistics don’t lie!
Old 06-17-2022, 12:39 PM
tadda
Le Mans Master

Received 6,948 Likes on 2,674 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Shhh...you hush now....people get very defensive with this kind of talk around these parts ..ha!

Have you had your transmission replaced (Poll)

Last edited by tadda; 06-17-2022 at 12:51 PM.
Old 06-17-2022, 02:52 PM
legacypgmr
Pro

Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by tadda
Shhh...you hush now....people get very defensive with this kind of talk around these parts ..ha!

Nothing to be extrapolated from bhvdr's post but yours is interesting.

While I'm not sure what you're position is, the poll suggests that almost 10% of C8 owners have had their transmissions fail within 2 years.

And while the transmission is replaced under warranty, I expect that would make prospective C8 buys raise an eyebrow. I know it'd make me think twice.

Last edited by legacypgmr; 06-18-2022 at 08:13 PM.
Old 06-17-2022, 03:02 PM
rkrupka
Pro

Originally Posted by tadda

Based on bhvrdr's estimate of less than 200 C8 owners on this site and 29 failures in this poll the failure rate is running about 14.5%.
So maybe they are replacing trans at the rate of 14.5% X 70,000 cars delivered within the next year = 10,150 transmissions.
Old 06-17-2022, 04:20 PM
bhvrdr
Safety Car

Originally Posted by legacypgmr
Nothing to be extrapolated from bhvdr's post but yours is interesting.

While I'm not sure what you're position is, but the poll suggests that almost 10% of C8 owners have had their transmissions fail within 2 years.

And while the transmission is replaced under warranty, I expect that would make prospective C8 buys raise an eyebrow. I know it'd make me think twice.

​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by rkrupka
Based on bhvrdr's estimate of less than 200 C8 owners on this site and 29 failures in this poll the failure rate is running about 14.5%.
So maybe they are replacing trans at the rate of 14.5% X 70,000 cars delivered within the next year = 10,150 transmissions.

Check my post again. The only estimate i made was saying i do think its more than 600 transmissions failed when there are over 60k out there.

That poll that was posted was just one of the threads i referenced to state there's well over 30 failures reported on this forum.

And yes out of 60k plus c8 out there im guessing there are only a couple hundred registered here.

Now that DOESN'T mean we can say the same percentage of c8 owners registered here that have transmission problems (30 in 200 lets say) would be the same in the general population because there likely were people who registered just to talk about their transmission failures here. So we may have a higher rate on the forum.

Bur even talking that into account, lets say the rate on the forum is 10 or 15 percent...

...even if the rate in the general population was only 2 percent that would be 1200 transmissions....far more than 600.
Old 06-17-2022, 05:44 PM
rkrupka
Pro

Check my post again. The only estimate i made was saying i do think its more than 600 transmissions failed when there are over 60k out there.

That poll that was posted was just one of the threads i referenced to state there's well over 30 failures reported on this forum.

And yes out of 60k plus c8 out there im guessing there are only a couple hundred registered here.

Now that DOESN'T mean we can say the same percentage of c8 owners registered here that have transmission problems (30 in 200 lets say) would be the same in the general population because there likely were people who registered just to talk about their transmission failures here. So we may have a higher rate on the forum.

Bur even talking that into account, lets say the rate on the forum is 10 or 15 percent...

...even if the rate in the general population was only 2 percent that would be 1200 transmissions....far more than 600.
"...even if the rate in the general population was only 2 percent that would be 1200 transmissions....far more than 600"
If those numbers are close, then one should be able to ask any of the top 10 Corvette dealers and/or over at Ron Fellows and find out if they are doing a couple of dozen or more transmissions a year.
Old 06-17-2022, 07:00 PM
bhvrdr
Safety Car

"...even if the rate in the general population was only 2 percent that would be 1200 transmissions....far more than 600"
If those numbers are close, then one should be able to ask any of the top 10 Corvette dealers and/or over at Ron Fellows and find out if they are doing a couple of dozen or more transmissions a year.
Absolutely and in the transmission failure threads you'll see even smaller dealerships that folks brought their car into had another car already there at the same time getting a transmission replacement so a dozen or two a year at a big one would certainly make sense.

Get notified of new replies

To Defective transmission

Old 06-17-2022, 07:04 PM
rkrupka
Pro

Absolutely and in the transmission failure threads you'll see even smaller dealerships that folks brought their car into had another car already there at the same time getting a transmission replacement so a dozen or two a year at a big one would certainly make sense.
Please tell us which large dealer you spoke to, who you spoke to there, and how many trans they have replaced.
Old 06-17-2022, 07:19 PM
RussM05
Melting Slicks

Received 1,015 Likes on 365 Posts

I like using actual numbers instead of guessing. I think you are on to something.
Old 06-17-2022, 07:38 PM
bhvrdr
Safety Car

Please tell us which large dealer you spoke to, who you spoke to there, and how many trans they have replaced.
I dont see where i said that. I said if you look at the transmission failure thread youll see folks had their cars in there for transmission replacements at the exact same time another c8 was in there for a transmission replacement so obviously that would be 2 in the dame day at that smaller dealership.

Might be interesting to get some data from those working at a larger dealership to see.

Last edited by bhvrdr; 06-17-2022 at 07:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Defective transmission