Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Snuggy Seats

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2021, 07:32 AM
LuckyGuy
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 373 Likes on 205 Posts
Default Snuggy Seats

Anyone else find the seats way too snug up top? I went with the base GT1 seats and 2LT. The hip bolster on the left side feels a bit tight (just like it did in my C7 but I fixed that problem with a softer foam insert) but I can't believe how tight the upper part of the seat feels on my ribs!! I'm 5'10" and 205 and work out but I'm no Superman and I find the seat back really uncomfortable up top.

It is a well-built engineering marvel but if i can't be comfortable in it it may be up for sale. I find my 2019 Z06 2LT seats so much more comfortable.

Outside of taking a blow torch to the plastic seat back to widen it (J/K), any suggestions??
Old 05-11-2021, 08:50 AM
Red C8 of Jax
Safety Car

Received 1,127 Likes on 760 Posts

I have always used an auto upholstery shop to correct any seat problems. They work miracles. No need to be riding around with your back hurting.
Old 05-11-2021, 09:01 AM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 4,092 Likes on 1,731 Posts

Originally Posted by LuckyGuy
Anyone else find the seats way too snug up top? I went with the base GT1 seats and 2LT. The hip bolster on the left side feels a bit tight (just like it did in my C7 but I fixed that problem with a softer foam insert) but I can't believe how tight the upper part of the seat feels on my ribs!! I'm 5'10" and 205 and work out but I'm no Superman and I find the seat back really uncomfortable up top.

It is a well-built engineering marvel but if i can't be comfortable in it it may be up for sale. I find my 2019 Z06 2LT seats so much more comfortable.

Outside of taking a blow torch to the plastic seat back to widen it (J/K), any suggestions??
If you are used to a C7 2LT seat, you essentially got an equivalent C7 1LT seat in the C8 GT1 seat...I’m not sure about the “snuggly” factor, but you downgraded on seat quality and that may be part of what your are experiencing.
Old 05-11-2021, 09:04 AM
MagicGlass
Drifting

Received 1,232 Likes on 554 Posts

I have a 3LT interior and I’m not a small person and I find the seats very comfortable. Now the seats can be re worked by a trim shop and widened. My neighbor who was President and CEO of McDonalds (Ed Rensi) at the time had his ZR1 seats flattened and widened because he weighed close to 350 pounds and they turned out quite nice.

Last edited by MagicGlass; 05-11-2021 at 09:08 AM.
Old 05-11-2021, 02:31 PM
lgodom
Drifting

Received 286 Likes on 208 Posts

Before you break out the torch, if the tightness is in the foam, I'd consider having an upholstery shop soften it up. If you drill a grid of holes in the foam pad in the firm area, it will soften it up without ruining the shape. This technique works well on the bottom bolsters if they're too firm
Old 05-11-2021, 02:45 PM
LuckyGuy
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 373 Likes on 205 Posts

Sorry if I wasn't clear in my original post. My concern isn't with the padding in the bolsters - it is with the relative narrowness of the upper sides of the seat where they contact the upper body. The plastic shell on which the seat is built seems too narrow to me and I have no idea how this can be remedied or how the upper part of the seat can be made more comfortable.
The following users liked this post:
Rexvaughn (03-07-2023)
Old 05-11-2021, 03:31 PM
starscream716
Instructor

Received 110 Likes on 50 Posts

I also have GT1 seats, I’m 5’9 about 190 lbs and they fit me just fine. Very, very comfortable I would say. I have no idea exactly how wide my shoulders are though, but my body type is more broad than narrow. Good luck on finding a fix to make them more comfortable for you.
Old 05-11-2021, 06:08 PM
C8broughtmeback
Burning Brakes

Received 792 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by MagicGlass
I have a 3LT interior and I’m not a small person and I find the seats very comfortable. Now the seats can be re worked by a trim shop and widened. My neighbor who was President and CEO of McDonalds (Ed Rensi) at the time had his ZR1 seats flattened and widened because he weighed close to 350 pounds and they turned out quite nice.
is there a correlation between the guy being CEO at McDonald's and his enormity?
The following 2 users liked this post by C8broughtmeback:
19672014 (05-13-2021), rajeevx7 (05-11-2021)
Old 05-11-2021, 07:18 PM
lgodom
Drifting

Sorry if I wasn't clear in my original post. My concern isn't with the padding in the bolsters - it is with the relative narrowness of the upper sides of the seat where they contact the upper body. The plastic shell on which the seat is built seems too narrow to me and I have no idea how this can be remedied or how the upper part of the seat can be made more comfortable.
There still should be a foam cushion over the frame underneath the cover. I have most of a C7 seat frame and C7 seat cushions in addition to a C8 seat bottom pan with a GT2 bottom cushion. The C8 seat pan bolted right in the C7 frame and the seats are almost identical in construction. The upper back is cast and the upper frame may be angled in too far for your build. There may be a way to bend or cut and weld it, but then the back might not fit well. I hope you can find a solution.
Old 05-11-2021, 07:21 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,491 Likes on 1,952 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I think you got at least one answer that might work. The question(s) is: how many upholstery shops that are creative and able are in your area, and how much time and money are you willing to spend with them to re-do your seat back? Because it does seem to me, that is what you're going to have to do---it is not the foam from what you are saying. It seems to be the actual size of the shell that holds the foam. That's not a drill-some-holes-in-the-foam exercise; that's a potential re-creation of the upper shell AND then adding the right amount and type of foam. If I'm getting it wrong, tell me.

You appear to be a long way from the Toronto metro where there might be quite a few upholstery shops, but that doesn't mean you can't go there or that your own nearby area doesn't have a good one, too.

Good luck.

Last edited by AORoads; 05-11-2021 at 07:22 PM.
Old 05-11-2021, 08:17 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,271 Likes on 3,497 Posts

It's a sports car... not everyone will necessarily fit.
Old 05-11-2021, 08:23 PM
lgodom
Drifting

Don’t the GT1 seats in the 2LT have adjustable upper support? When I drove the 2LT with the GT1 seats at the BG track, the instructor suggested that I might be more comfortable moving them out. He noticed they were pressing in on my ribs. The GT1 seats in the 1LT aren’t adjustable.

Last edited by lgodom; 05-11-2021 at 08:24 PM.
Old 05-11-2021, 11:18 PM
HAMBO
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

I had the exact same feeling when I got my C8. I’m not a big guy (5’8” / 162 lbs), but when I sat in the GT1 seats in what I considered a normal seating position it was like the seat was squeezing me.

After doing some research I realized it was more about torso height than my weight / size. The narrowest part of the seat was aligned with the widest part of my rib cage. A few other folks of similar proportions reported similar discomfort.

I ended up experimenting with the seat configuration, and basically found a position where the seat back was more upright that usual for me (I offset that by tilting the seat back as well) and it moved the narrow part away from where it was squeezing me. After driving a month or so in that position, it took a little getting used to, now it’s fine.

Hope that helps.
The following users liked this post:
LuckyGuy (05-12-2021)

Get notified of new replies

To Snuggy Seats

Quick Reply: Snuggy Seats