Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any C8 corvettes to sit in

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2021, 08:56 AM
Phil1098
Race Director

Received 11,634 Likes on 4,656 Posts

Originally Posted by yellolab
Well, thats just odd to me. Over the past 45 years, you've never test driven a car before you've bought it?
I'm the opposite I guess, I ALWAYS test drive a car before I buy it, new or used, so C8 is the exception for me. I would guess for the vast majority of people as well.
My last fun car was a used Mustang and when I looked at the car, was offered a test drive and declined (I said "it has 2,900 miles on it, it won't pull hard to the left"). Made an offer and went back to work. They accepted and when my wife and I picked it up, I threw her the keys and said drive it home. When we got home she said "have you even driven a Mustang?" I said "no, never had a Ford in my life." She said "we just bought a car and it's home and you haven't driven it?" I said "they've made over 9 million of them, how bad could it be?" I ended up keeping the car longer than any other car I have ever owned. Refined it was not, but it was an honest car and was fun to drive.

I get it, if you are outside of "the norm" of 5'10" and 180 pounds you may have fit concern, but if there was a third of the owners posting on here saying "oh my God, what a mistake, if I could have just driven it first, I would have never bought it!" In fact, it's quite the opposite, it is universally praised by the owners.
Old 05-06-2021, 11:25 AM
kong
Pro

Received 408 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by WardNH
I think that is pretty common. It would have been nice to sit in the different seats before making my decision, but no such luck. Had to order by looks and comments on the internet. I hope I like them...

It is unfortunate, but as you said, I appreciate that they are all sold cars. When mine finally comes in I don't want anybody getting in it to check it out before I pick it up.
One of the problems with letting people sit in the cars, especially sold ones, is that occasionally they will have something in the pockets or on their person that will scratch or rip the leather. It has happened and the sales guy does not want to take that chance. Pagers, cell phones, glasses, keys, etc.

Last edited by kong; 05-06-2021 at 11:26 AM.
Old 05-06-2021, 11:49 AM
WardNH
Racer

Received 227 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by kong
One of the problems with letting people sit in the cars, especially sold ones, is that occasionally they will have something in the pockets or on their person that will scratch or rip the leather. It has happened and the sales guy does not want to take that chance. Pagers, cell phones, glasses, keys, etc.
I understand that completely. That's why I said I appreciate that they are sold cars and I wouldn't want someone sitting in mine before I picked it up
Old 05-06-2021, 01:16 PM
Eating Tires
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 57 Posts
Default anyone is welcome to come sit in mine

I'm down in Calabash, thanks for the offer, very kind of you!!!
Im in Myrtle Beach and any serious enthusiast is welcome to come check it out, and I'll take you for a drive.
The following users liked this post:
yellolab (05-06-2021)
Old 05-06-2021, 03:13 PM
yellolab
Racer

Received 255 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Eating Tires
Im in Myrtle Beach and any serious enthusiast is welcome to come check it out, and I'll take you for a drive.
So typically, no ALWAYS, when some guy on the internet offers something like this, I politely just say "hey thanks man, I appreciate the offer", and quietly go about my way as I don't want to bother him. However....

YES PLEASE. I'll PM you.

Kevin
Old 05-06-2021, 03:39 PM
Eating Tires
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Lol come on brother, let’s burn the tires!

So typically, no ALWAYS, when some guy on the internet offers something like this, I politely just say "hey thanks man, I appreciate the offer", and quietly go about my way as I don't want to bother him. However....

YES PLEASE. I'll PM you.

Kevin
She’s ready.
yellolab (05-06-2021)
Old 05-06-2021, 04:23 PM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

I recently attended a 'cars and coffee' event and I allowed a few folks to sit in my C-8. I was choosy though.
Phil1098 (05-06-2021)
Old 05-06-2021, 05:03 PM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 315 Posts

There are some sports car rental companies out there that have them for rent if you want to get a feel for the car.
Old 05-06-2021, 05:10 PM
DeanJohnson
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

You can put down a deposit at 1 of the top 100 dealers and if you change your mind it's fully refundable. Kerbeck is in Atlantic city, NJ and they are the biggest. If people order a car then pullout they will have cars to sit in.
Old 05-06-2021, 05:58 PM
Jupiterjj
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

I recently called one of the big 3 dealers and asked what color C8s they had on their lot that day. They said they had 7 or 8, but the color I was most interested in was about to be delivered to a customer. I said I'll be there in 90 minutes. Naturally, the salesman told me before I got there that they would not open the cars for me, and would not allow me to sit in them. I was fine with that. When I arrived, a customer was getting the final briefing on their new Elkhart Lake Blue convertible with the adrenaline red seats. I told her I thought that was a beautiful combination and was one of my 2 finalists. She kindly offered to let me sit in her car, and I graciously accepted her generous offer. Maybe you could get lucky like I did.
Old 05-06-2021, 07:00 PM
yellolab
Racer

Received 255 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Atari_Prime
There are some sports car rental companies out there that have them for rent if you want to get a feel for the car.
thinking about that. F3rentals over in Greenville SC(4+hours from me) has C8 for rent. $300/4 hours.
Old 05-06-2021, 09:32 PM
twilhelm39
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 61 Posts

I'm down in Calabash, thanks for the offer, very kind of you!!!
I’m in Wilmington if your interested let me know.
yellolab (05-07-2021)
Old 05-06-2021, 09:52 PM
flange
Team Owner

Received 267 Likes on 136 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by BIG Dave
What’s this fascination with sitting in it before buying? I don’t think I’ve ever sat in an automobile before purchasing in my entire life (and I’ve been driving for about 45 years!). About 33,000 C8’s have been produced so far, and I don’t believe I’ve read a single comment here on the Forum of someone that’s taken delivery and then had buyer’s remorse since they weren’t able to sit in one before ordering...
here is sortof your first then. in 1998 i was rear ended in my then 1995 convertible, hard. it spun my into a tree and wrecked the car. i have had back issues since then. i have had other vettes since, including my 427 convertible i sold to get my c8. upon getting the c8 delivered to my home i noticed immediately that entry was more difficult than my 427. perhaps being older and having back issues makes it worse, but i seriously struggled to get my head tucked in without agitating my back.i tried just leaving the roof down since its a htc and just a toy, but that isnt a viable solution if i get caught in rain or something.

at any rate it bothered me enough that i just sold the car. if given the opportunity to try upfront i may not have ordered it to begin with.
Old 05-06-2021, 10:18 PM
gmarcucio
Drifting

Received 639 Likes on 333 Posts

I can certainly understand wanting to sit in one before purchasing and I went through the same dilemma before I ordered my C8 and still waiting for it without having been able to sit in one either. However, then it dawned on me. In this market, I will order it and when it finally comes in and I own it if something doesn't work out after sitting in it I put it on the market for $10,000 - $20,000 more than I paid for it and be gone!
Old 05-06-2021, 10:41 PM
PatricksPC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteBlessed
At 6'4" I think it's reasonable to sit in the vehicle prior to spending $90K.
I’m also 6’4” and the.HTC gave me the room to drive it. ( my hand barely fits above my head)
in the coupe the roll bar hits my head. Ordered one the same day for $10 k over. Went 3000 very next Thursday (3/24). I researched the largest vett dealers in WA. The second on had a sold one they let me sit in.
get on phone.
Old 05-06-2021, 10:52 PM
wfoZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 209 Posts

Go to a a local coffee and cars gathering and buy a C8 owner a coffee. That's what I did.
Old 05-06-2021, 11:10 PM
ProfessorDeath
Safety Car

Received 165 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

From a sales standpoint, he probably answers that question several dozen times a day and also has to chase off all the Instagram idiots who want to pretend they're buying a Corvette and waste showroom space while sitting in someone else's already-sold Corvette while they snap photos for their non-existent followers hoping to go viral. He's probably just sick of all the tire kickers hoping for a test drive. Unprofessional? Sure. Warranted? Probably.
Fast Dawg (05-07-2021)

Get notified of new replies

To Any C8 corvettes to sit in

Old 05-07-2021, 11:48 AM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 315 Posts

thinking about that. F3rentals over in Greenville SC(4+hours from me) has C8 for rent. $300/4 hours.
Seems like a win win to me. A day of play in someone else's sports car.
yellolab (05-07-2021)
Old 05-08-2021, 04:30 PM
RickConti@Coughlin
Safety Car

Received 1,554 Likes on 557 Posts

Originally Posted by SirJonV47
I am about to order a C8 corvette in about a week or so. I went to my local Chevy dealer in Paramus NJ and got blown off by sales guy there. Took me a 20 mins wait to just talk to him and then he gave me all of two seconds of his time saying if you aren’t giving a deposit today you are not worth my time.

But my question is, is there a dealer close to me that I can actually go see one and sit in one.

i tried the dealer in Atlantic City and he had none to sit in as they are all sold. I can appreciate that as I would want to be the first one to sit in my own car.

but that still leaves me in my dilemma of sitting in one.

Any help would be appreciated.
One of the reasons I have a car, so thankful I let people sit in it and have let a couple drive it
Fast Dawg (05-24-2021)
Old 05-08-2021, 04:57 PM
PatricksPC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 37 Posts
Default 6’4” and only fit in HTC

Originally Posted by VetteBlessed
At 6'4" I think it's reasonable to sit in the vehicle prior to spending $90K.
I am also 6’4” and only fit in HTC. (Barely)
the roll bar in the coup hit my head.
I did find a dealer who let me sit in a HTC.
ordered one that day and went 3000 4 days later (3/24). Still at 3000. MSRP 88k.

Last edited by PatricksPC; 05-08-2021 at 04:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Any C8 corvettes to sit in