Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Waiting to dealer allocation.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2021, 07:47 PM
Bob Hite
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Waiting to dealer allocation.

Hi folks, I ordered a C8, just over 2 months ago. I ask the dealer if it had any updates. The answer I got was they were waiting for their "dealer allocation". I am concerned that I should have picked a different dealer. Any body have any insight, please?
Old 04-28-2021, 08:02 PM
Raz0r
Pro

Received 341 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Hite
Hi folks, I ordered a C8, just over 2 months ago. I ask the dealer if it had any updates. The answer I got was they were waiting for their "dealer allocation". I am concerned that I should have picked a different dealer. Any body have any insight, please?
Sounds like you are new to the Corvette ordering process (don't worry, every one is at some point). Below is a link that will explain how it works as it is different than many other cars. When you did your configuration with the dealer 2 months ago, that merely puts an order on the books, but doesn't really do anything to get the car started. Your dealer has to be granted an "allocation" (essentially this is a right to place an order with GM) to assign to your car before it can be brought into the queue to be built. With no allocation your configuration would just sit there indefinitely until the model year ran out. The real questions to ask the dealer when getting a Corvette are how many allocations do you get, and how many are taken. These will help you gauge if your dealer even has an allocation to assign to you for that model year. For instance if a dealer is given 50 allocation for a year, they can sell 50 Corvettes. But if they take 51 orders, than that means 1 customer won't be getting a car (there are exceptions, but this is a general idea). Also, allocations aren't all at once, so the dealer may get 3 allocations this month and 10 next, and 12 after that, and so on. It isn't a linear process in many cases. So even if you are 1 of the 50, if you are number 47, than you have to wait for the other 46 people to get theirs' first before your order will go in. It can be a long process. Many in this forum have been waiting over a year for their allocation.

Check out the info below and that will help you get a grip on it all. Best wishes!!

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...codes-etc.html
The following users liked this post:
GH3479 (04-29-2021)
Old 04-28-2021, 08:08 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,118 Likes on 6,190 Posts

You need to understand allocations: Ordering a Corvette - Allocations and Constraints Explained. The wait time at most dealers is measured in months (and in some cases years). You need to understand how many allocations a dealer gets monthly and where you are on their list. The lower the ratio of your wait list number divided by annual allocation is, the quicker your order will get an allocation assigned to it (assuming your dealer is not playing any games - like I'll bump you up if you pay an extra $5000).
Old 04-29-2021, 09:54 AM
Jay Kilpatrick
Instructor

Received 285 Likes on 110 Posts

Find out your dealers allocation situation, then likely put a deposit down at MacMulkin immediately! I've been waiting for an allocation at my small local dealer since January, 2020. I just got my allocation with MacMulkin after a deposit in November, 2020. Do not be alarmed by the high number in the 100s, it will likely go quicker.
Old 04-29-2021, 02:39 PM
RobRace10
Melting Slicks

Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Hite
Two months ago...My order was placed in 2019 and still waiting for a car!

10/27/2019 was 16 of 20 supposed allocations for a 2020 (based upon 2019 Corvette sales).

Last edited by RobRace10; 04-29-2021 at 04:16 PM.
Old 04-29-2021, 03:39 PM
Broken Halo
Melting Slicks

Received 1,737 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by RobRace10
Two months ago...My order was placed in 2019 and still waiting for a car!
Join the club....11/12/19

Get notified of new replies

To Waiting to dealer allocation.

Quick Reply: Waiting to dealer allocation.