Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blowout , You're paying?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2021, 08:21 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Bee attack
Just had a blowout on my rear right tire going 35mph. with only 1165 miles.. No debris on the road. Dealer wants $200 for a new tire since I have no warranty on it.
I think it is a warranty defect and they should replace it. What do you think?
Just because you didn't see debris on the road doesn't mean it wasn't there. Like others have said, $200 for the replacement is cheap, the dealer is doing you a favor, take it and don't ask questions. I always buy the wheel and tire package. I picked up a screw on my new Scat Pack at just 1,000 miles, dealership replaced the tire, no cost, no questions asked.

When finance offers this package, pay attention and ask about what it offers. The package I have covers tires, wheels to either replace or repair. It also provides for pdr for dings, chip repair on windshield (not replacement), and replacement key fob.
Old 04-29-2021, 08:37 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,651 Likes on 6,649 Posts

Originally Posted by ladder13
Discount tire doesn’t exactly give you a free tire, you paid partially.
Yep, for "insurance!" But like life insurance, hope you don't needed it! Didn't for my 2017 Grand Sport. BUT all prior 4 Vettes had nails and several in the outer tread near the side wall. New tire required!

Those wide Vette tires are like nail and bolt magnets! Regardless what OP said, can't see nails in road! I don't buy GM wheel and tires insurance because I can see curbs!

Last edited by JerryU; 04-29-2021 at 08:39 AM.
Old 04-29-2021, 08:48 AM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 4,025 Likes on 1,694 Posts

Just had a blowout on my rear right tire going 35mph. with only 1165 miles.. No debris on the road. Dealer wants $200 for a new tire since I have no warranty on it.
So on one hand you’re saying it’s not your responsibility, but on the other you are saying that the dealer / GM who doesn’t own, drive or control where and how the car is driven, is responsible?

I’m sorry to hear of the blowout at such low miles, but tires, brake pads, and gas are all part of the “consumables” that are the owners responsibility. This is why they make so much money selling tire insurance.
The following users liked this post:
wfoZ06 (04-29-2021)
Old 04-29-2021, 10:46 AM
Losbot
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 430 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by ladder13
Discount tire doesn’t exactly give you a free tire, you paid partially.
True but it's a very small percentage of the cost of a new tire.
Old 05-21-2021, 10:38 AM
Blade2382
Pro

Received 403 Likes on 207 Posts
Modified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist

@Racer X @JerryU Just went into Discount Tire and picked up the warranty for the C8 tires. I didn't even have to describe my request, the guy already knew why I was there, $154.54 out the door

I am telling all my friends about this!
JerryU (05-21-2021)
Old 05-21-2021, 10:49 AM
Korbek
Melting Slicks

Received 2,029 Likes on 835 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg00Coupe
I was thinking the same way based on experience. I carry a compressor, jack, plug kit and fix a flat when I’m on trips. I know plugging a tire is not pleasant and fix a flat ruins the sensor but ifs it’s a choice of being flat bedded or limping somewhere for a new tire, even if you can find one, I’ll go with my approach. Fortunately never have used the repair kit.

Same here re: tire warranties. I routinely get new tires at Discount when it's time for replacements, and even buying high-end tires for sports cars I have literally never purchased a warranty. In nearly 26 years of driving (yeah, I'm only 41 close to 42, a baby round these parts) I have had exactly ONE instance where I picked up a nail close enough to the sidewall that it couldn't be plugged. Never had a blowout. Even if I have one on the $400-500 tires on the C8, it'll most likely be the only one I ever have based on past experience.

Warranties make sense if you're in an area with really crappy roads I guess. Driving in Boston once I definitely thought to myself that anyone with any kind of expensive rims or tires better warranty them around that hellhole. Otherwise I feel like you'll most likely pay more in the long run than you would just swallowing the cost of a rare blowout from a pothole or nail near sidewall. Even with all the highway construction in TX I've not had an issue. I picked up two nails in the same tire less than 6 months apart in the SLK55, but both were repairable at discount for free, and that was the extreme outlier in my driving history.
Old 05-21-2021, 11:23 AM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,383 Likes on 2,070 Posts

Originally Posted by Korbek
Same here re: tire warranties. I routinely get new tires at Discount when it's time for replacements, and even buying high-end tires for sports cars I have literally never purchased a warranty. In nearly 26 years of driving (yeah, I'm only 41 close to 42, a baby round these parts) I have had exactly ONE instance where I picked up a nail close enough to the sidewall that it couldn't be plugged. Never had a blowout. Even if I have one on the $400-500 tires on the C8, it'll most likely be the only one I ever have based on past experience.

Warranties make sense if you're in an area with really crappy roads I guess. Driving in Boston once I definitely thought to myself that anyone with any kind of expensive rims or tires better warranty them around that hellhole. Otherwise I feel like you'll most likely pay more in the long run than you would just swallowing the cost of a rare blowout from a pothole or nail near sidewall. Even with all the highway construction in TX I've not had an issue. I picked up two nails in the same tire less than 6 months apart in the SLK55, but both were repairable at discount for free, and that was the extreme outlier in my driving history.
If I wasn't in an area that was chock full of new home construction, I might feel the same way. They are literally building a house next door. My wife regularly picks up nails and screws off the street in front of that house. Over the last 22 years, I have always been around new construction, across several houses. I have had 4 or 5 tires replaced and at least as many repaired. Has it been cost effective to have the warranty? It is at least close.
Old 05-21-2021, 11:47 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,669 Likes on 8,312 Posts

It doesn't have to be a puncture or visible damage. Pothole contact can damage the inner layers of a tire.
Old 05-22-2021, 10:42 AM
ea327
Drifting

Received 703 Likes on 402 Posts

When I bought my C7 I purchased a wheel and tire warranty from the dealership. It covered any tire on the car. When I changed from summer to all season tires, the coverage stayed with the car. I also had two wheels repaired. N/C. I’ll be doing the same for my HTC.
BTW, in the two years that I owned it, I replaced 2 summer tires and 3 A/S tires. Yes. It was worth it.

Last edited by ea327; 05-22-2021 at 11:50 AM.
Old 05-22-2021, 11:15 AM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Received 8,560 Likes on 4,280 Posts

These 'warrantees' are really insurance policies, and like any insurance the house will come out on top most of the time. Otherwise the companies wouldn't sell the policies, or would charge more for them. And I assume the payout is pro-rated based on mileage, so the odds of you coming out ahead get even lower the more you drive your car.

Like any insurance, you're kind of betting you're going to need it, the company is betting you won't. And like the insurance you buy on your car or your house, most people will never get back what they paid. For a major expense, like a house or a car, insurance makes sense, because you wouldn't want to have to pay out of pocket to build a new house or replace your car. For small purchases, like a tire? In the unlikely event I need a new tire, I can afford to replace it, just like I can afford to replace 4 of them when they're worn out.

Everyone needs to decide on their own risk tolerance and their own capacity to pay out of pocket vs paying for insurance you'll probably never use, but could possibly come out ahead with.
JALLEN4 (08-08-2021)
Old 05-22-2021, 11:39 AM
c6miller
Drifting

Received 168 Likes on 118 Posts

Call Michelin. They have excellec c/s and will likely replace it at no cost
Old 05-22-2021, 11:42 AM
Driver_WT
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Racer X

One of the first things I did after getting the car was go to Discount tire and buy their tire warranty that covers any failure, puncture or defect.
How much is the tire warranty at Discount Tire for C8 tires?
Old 05-22-2021, 12:41 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DSOMrulz
These 'warrantees' are really insurance policies, and like any insurance the house will come out on top most of the time. Otherwise the companies wouldn't sell the policies, or would charge more for them. And I assume the payout is pro-rated based on mileage, so the odds of you coming out ahead get even lower the more you drive your car.

Like any insurance, you're kind of betting you're going to need it, the company is betting you won't. And like the insurance you buy on your car or your house, most people will never get back what they paid. For a major expense, like a house or a car, insurance makes sense, because you wouldn't want to have to pay out of pocket to build a new house or replace your car. For small purchases, like a tire? In the unlikely event I need a new tire, I can afford to replace it, just like I can afford to replace 4 of them when they're worn out.

Everyone needs to decide on their own risk tolerance and their own capacity to pay out of pocket vs paying for insurance you'll probably never use, but could possibly come out ahead with.
Yes, I treat it like insurance for tires as it's much cheaper than wheel and tire insurance from the dealer. I hope I don't need it. One upside for Discount Tire is they get the best discounts because of their volume when a new tire is required.

Bought for my wife's 2018 BMW for $180 when it was a week old, as I did for my C8 I received September 2020. Wife's has had 4 nails and two were in the outer tread near the sidewall. Besides getting two repaired at no charge she got two ~$400 Continental 315 section width, low profile summer performance run flats free. For my C8 got two nails, one the outer tread near the sidewall. New rear tire free.

My experience with wide Vette tires on the 6 Vettes I have owned is they are nail magnets. Wife just replaced the 2018 BMW SUV with a 2021. Week one when to Discount Tire and told the manger (who knows who I am now) when I bought tire insurance: "Hope I Don't See You'all Again!

Last edited by JerryU; 05-22-2021 at 12:47 PM.
Old 05-22-2021, 04:28 PM
BIG Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 4,684 Likes on 1,862 Posts

Here’s my assessment of the Discount Tire warranty:
The front tires are almost $300 each and the rears around $400 each. I have no clue what Discount Tire’s cost is, but let’s just assume their cost is 1/3 of their selling price. Therefore a rear tire that they sell for $400 might cost them $133 and the fronts about $100.

I doubt anyone usually has more than one blowout per set of tires. So if the Discount Tire warranty costs $200 per set of four tires, and is probably only used against one tire, which for Corvette tires costs Discount Tire between $100 and $133, they are still making a little money when someone uses their warranty on one tire during the life of the tires. And they make the whole $200 when someone doesn’t use the warranty at all during the life of the tires!

So what is the warranty really for? Probably to get people excited about the company so they’ll buy tires there. That’s my assessment. May be right, or not!

(Before anyone says they’ve used it two times, three times, or even four times, yes, there will always be outliers. But I’m sure on average, Discount Tires must makes some money on it, or else it wouldn’t be wise to offer it in the first place).
Old 05-22-2021, 06:05 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,239 Likes on 3,472 Posts

$200? Geez... just pay it, don't give it a second thought, and drive on.
Old 06-09-2021, 06:12 PM
dohabandit
Melting Slicks

Received 1,444 Likes on 804 Posts

Originally Posted by AL2015
I paid MM $1290 to add in a 5year wheel and tire warranty.

It added $10 to my monthly payment for the car
$1290 / $10 = 129 payments (not counting even interest, I haven't ever seen a loan that goes that long).
Something with your story doesn't add up... just sayin!
Old 06-09-2021, 06:19 PM
dohabandit
Melting Slicks

Received 1,444 Likes on 804 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG Dave
Here’s my assessment of the Discount Tire warranty:

(Before anyone says they’ve used it two times, three times, or even four times, yes, there will always be outliers. But I’m sure on average, Discount Tires must makes some money on it, or else it wouldn’t be wise to offer it in the first place).
I live in FL in an area where they are building THOUSANDS of homes, and re-roofing the homes in my immediate vicinity.
Each of my cars has been hit at least ONCE per year with construction debris. Nails, ROOFING NAILS (the worst), and once it hit the sidewall on an AWD vehicle. If it isn't these fools tossing nails in the road, it is some painter that loses another bucket of paint in the back of his work truck. (hoping the ceramic coating helps with this)

I didn't realize that I could get a tire warranty for tires after the fact or with OEM / factory tires, I am going to get mine warrantied ASAP! $200 is a steal, but I think the replacement is pro-rated based on the tread life on the tire. So the older the tire gets, the more you will pay to replace it. At about half the life of the tire, you are going to break even if you have a loss. The next 2-3 years are going to be hell around here though with all the nails in the road.

Get notified of new replies

To Blowout , You're paying?

Old 08-08-2021, 12:37 PM
Roger Walling
Melting Slicks

Received 1,628 Likes on 668 Posts

quote, "I purchased them on 8-2-16 and today is 8-6-21 and that my 5 year warranty had expired"

What else would expect? the warranty expired!

Even if they were still in warranty, you would probably pay more for the replacement tire than you originally paid for the tire in the first place!
Tire depreciation is prorated on the original list price that nobody pays, so you end up paying more, I went through that with Firestone tires!

Old 08-08-2021, 01:00 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DSOMrulz
... And I assume the payout is pro-rated based on mileage, so the odds of you coming out ahead get even lower the more you drive your car.....
Nope!

Originally Posted by Roger Walling
quote, "I purchased them on 8-2-16 and today is 8-6-21 and that my 5 year warranty had expired"

What else would expect? the warranty expired!

Even if they were still in warranty, you would probably pay more for the replacement tire than you originally paid for the tire in the first place!
Tire depreciation is prorated on the original list price that nobody pays, so you end up paying more, I went through that with Firestone tires!

The Discount Tire "Insurance" is NOT based on Prorated wear or time. It covers as I recall down to 2/32s tread wear. For me that is about when I buy new tires anyway because of potential hydroplaning.

Nope, I got a free tire and mounting for the nail I had in my C8 near the side wall! And for the wife's 2018 BMW SUV with 315 section width rear tires for the ~$180 "insurance" I paid we got two ~$400, low profile Run Flats. Daughter now has that car and tires are covered. You can bet, week one went over and bought insurance for the wife's 2021 BMW SUV!

Your option to buy insurance for that one new tire. Perhaps depends on your area BUT have had a lot of nails in my 6 Corvette Wide Tires.

Last edited by JerryU; 08-08-2021 at 01:05 PM.
Old 08-08-2021, 08:16 PM
JTBogus
Burning Brakes

Received 384 Likes on 228 Posts

How do you get a Blowout (at 35mph) on a Run Flat tire?

Quick Reply: Blowout , You're paying?