Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Experience with Courtesy Delivery at Stingray Chevrolet

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2021, 05:18 PM
08Indy
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 86 Likes on 57 Posts

Default My Experience with Courtesy Delivery at Stingray Chevrolet

I picked up my MacMaulkin January ordered Z51 on Saturday from my courtesy dealer Stingray Chevrolet on Saturday 4/10. I have had a wonderful experience working with MacMaulkin. They always follow up with me on every question and kept me informed during the order, build and ship process.

Since I live in Florida I thought that using the courtesy delivery process would be an easy way to get the car here and save me time and money. I contacted several dealers in my area and all were willing to do the delivery but most wanted $700 or more! I found out via the forum that Stingray Chevrolet was willing to do the delivery for $400. I thought that seemed reasonable and they were within an hour driving distance from home. So I contacted them and spoke to the fleet sales manager who was handling the courtesy delivery’s told him I would have my car sent there and let MacMaulkin know about the arrangement.

I tracked the car as it was built and shipped. I received a call from MacMaulkin about this as well, but heard nothing from Stingray Chevrolet. I called and left a message with the sales manager and still heard nothing. I called and spoke to a salesman who was kind enough to check their inventory system and confirmed that the car was there. I called the sales manager again and ask him if the car was there and that I wanted to arrange a day and time to pick it up. He said I looked for it but didn’t see it! I told him to confirm it in the system and arranged a time to pick it up. He did that and sure enough the car was there so I picked it up Saturday. When I got there he walked me to the car unlocked it and said is this it? I confirmed and then we went inside and he gave me a the receipt for the temp tags and ask me to write him a check for $400. I wrote him a check and he said there’s no gas in the car but there are service stations down the street. He stood up and he was finished!

I know this was a courtesy delivery but I thought they still delivered the car by going over it’s features and how everything functioned as well as answer question. I thought that’s what I was getting for my $400! They did the PDI I assume and got paid by GM for that. No gas, no going over anything, no setting up features, no satellite radio set up, no 500 mile break in period nothing. Not even any paperwork stating that they did a courtesy delivery! He told me they would handle the taxes and tags and they didn’t even do that!

MacMaulkin called afterwards and ask how it went, I shared my store with them.

What has everyone else’s experience been like?

Popular Reply

04-26-2021, 11:13 AM
0SeanM@Stingray
Former Vendor

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts
Default On Behalf of Stingray Chevrolet

08Indy, I am very sorry to hear that your expectations on your C8 courtesy delivery (CD) were not met here at Stingray. We try very hard to set expectations regarding what is included in our nominal C8 courtesy delivery fee, but failed to do so with you. Unfortunately, because we are not the ordering dealer, I do not have access to CD orders placed by another dealer. Unless notified by the client or the ordering dealer, I have no way of knowing who’s Silver, Blue, or Red C8 the vehicle belongs to. In addition, the ordering dealer is paid the allowance for the fuel, and this is why it is not included in our fee. Nonetheless, I should have done a better job setting the expectations, and meeting those expectations. If there is anything we can do to make it right please contact me directly at 813-359-5036 or at rholley@stingraychevrolet.com. Thanks, Rich.
Old 04-14-2021, 06:04 PM
direct007
Melting Slicks

Received 2,009 Likes on 1,026 Posts

I'd be surprised that they did the PDI. The guy didn't even know the car was there until you told him about it! Better double check.
The following users liked this post:
Fast Dawg (04-15-2021)
Old 04-14-2021, 06:10 PM
64drvr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,867 Likes on 886 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Sorry to hear about this. Macmulkin + corvette museum delivery was a great pair for me.
The following 2 users liked this post by 64drvr:
ea327 (04-15-2021), SLWRNU (04-15-2021)
Old 04-14-2021, 06:14 PM
proeagles
Melting Slicks

Received 2,162 Likes on 899 Posts

On the one hand I can almost understand the dealer's lack of enthusiasm since they didn't sell the car and get any credit or perks out it beyond your $400 delivery fee which seems a little steep for what little they did. On the other hand if they wanted your service and return business for perhaps another car, they should have made you feel welcome. Apparently they have no interest in earning your future business. Burning bridges is how you go out of business.
Old 04-14-2021, 06:16 PM
heisnuts
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 457 Likes on 208 Posts

Wow. That is not the way it is supposed to work. I am sure they did the PDI otherwise you would have no center caps in the rims and messages on the display since there would be fuses missing and the car would be in transportation mode (you would see a notice on the display). They are, however, supposed to go over the car with you (if you want... I am sure a lot of us here know more about the car than they do). They are also supposed to fill it up with gas, but they might have done you a favor because based on your description, I could easily see them taking it down to the cheapest gas station in town and putting 87 octane in it to fill the tank.

Old 04-14-2021, 06:26 PM
08Indy
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

I thought the same thing.

They decided on their own to offer Courtesy Delivery.

I sold cars for awhile and did courtesy delivery’s, they were the same as all the others!

Stingray Chevrolet is in the top 10 in terms of Corvette Sales!

They will not get any of my future business!
Old 04-14-2021, 06:33 PM
bbrown450
Melting Slicks

Received 503 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by 08Indy
I picked up my MacMaulkin January ordered Z51 on Saturday from my courtesy dealer Stingray Chevrolet on Saturday 4/10. I have had a wonderful experience working with MacMaulkin. They always follow up with me on every question and kept me informed during the order, build and ship process.

Since I live in Florida I thought that using the courtesy delivery process would be an easy way to get the car here and save me time and money. I contacted several dealers in my area and all were willing to do the delivery but most wanted $700 or more! I found out via the forum that Stingray Chevrolet was willing to do the delivery for $400. I thought that seemed reasonable and they were within an hour driving distance from home. So I contacted them and spoke to the fleet sales manager who was handling the courtesy delivery’s told him I would have my car sent there and let MacMaulkin know about the arrangement.

I tracked the car as it was built and shipped. I received a call from MacMaulkin about this as well, but heard nothing from Stingray Chevrolet. I called and left a message with the sales manager and still heard nothing. I called and spoke to a salesman who was kind enough to check their inventory system and confirmed that the car was there. I called the sales manager again and ask him if the car was there and that I wanted to arrange a day and time to pick it up. He said I looked for it but didn’t see it! I told him to confirm it in the system and arranged a time to pick it up. He did that and sure enough the car was there so I picked it up Saturday. When I got there he walked me to the car unlocked it and said is this it? I confirmed and then we went inside and he gave me a the receipt for the temp tags and ask me to write him a check for $400. I wrote him a check and he said there’s no gas in the car but there are service stations down the street. He stood up and he was finished!

I know this was a courtesy delivery but I thought they still delivered the car by going over it’s features and how everything functioned as well as answer question. I thought that’s what I was getting for my $400! They did the PDI I assume and got paid by GM for that. No gas, no going over anything, no setting up features, no satellite radio set up, no 500 mile break in period nothing. Not even any paperwork stating that they did a courtesy delivery! He told me they would handle the taxes and tags and they didn’t even do that!

MacMaulkin called afterwards and ask how it went, I shared my store with them.

What has everyone else’s experience been like?
Stupid question, is there not a document /checklist that tells you in advance what you get for that cost ?
Old 04-14-2021, 07:21 PM
cor66vette
Le Mans Master

Received 1,308 Likes on 690 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

I've heard some sing praise about Stingray Chevrolet, but my personal experience would have me sing something else.
When I was shopping for my '17 GS, all I got from them was attitude. They spent more time boasting about how many Corvette they sell, and practically no time laying out why I would want to buy a car from them. Of course I went elsewhere - (Rick Conti)
Old 04-15-2021, 12:13 AM
Imola2001
Racer

Received 420 Likes on 113 Posts

Call the dealer and ask for Steve Hurley, or send him a tweet @SHStingray
Old 04-15-2021, 07:24 AM
direct007
Melting Slicks

In the big picture, sure...You didn't get the dog and pony show and the pat on the back with the congratulations handshake and that giddy feeling you get when you are at the dealership, but on the other hand...You have a brand new C8 when there are many people that when faced with the option of either getting a C8 with the dog and pony show or having to wait another 6 months to a year and getting the whole shebang at the dealership would surely rather have the car.

In all honesty, half the stuff they tell you when showing you the car's features, you will forget anyway because of the excitement you are feeling....like a 14 year old boy with A.D.D. in a classroom where they are teaching math surrounded by adolescent girls.

You can reference the manual for anything you aren't sure of. Plenty of YouTube videos showing the different settings.
The following 2 users liked this post by direct007:
CFer (04-15-2021), dcarr (04-17-2021)
Old 04-15-2021, 07:31 AM
John Quigley
Cruising

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by direct007
In the big picture, sure...You didn't get the dog and pony show and the pat on the back with the congratulations handshake and that giddy feeling you get when you are at the dealership, but on the other hand...You have a brand new C8 when there are many people that when faced with the option of either getting a C8 with the dog and pony show or having to wait another 6 months to a year and getting the whole shebang at the dealership would surely rather have the car.

In all honesty, half the stuff they tell you when showing you the car's features, you will forget anyway because of the excitement you are feeling....like a 14 year old boy with A.D.D. in a classroom where they are teaching math surrounded by adolescent girls.

You can reference the manual for anything you aren't sure of. Plenty of YouTube videos showing the different settings.
And we’ve all been here for months and know everything they are going to show anyway.
direct007 (04-15-2021)
Old 04-15-2021, 07:50 AM
tsigwing
Burning Brakes

Received 976 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by proeagles
On the one hand I can almost understand the dealer's lack of enthusiasm since they didn't sell the car and get any credit or perks out it beyond your $400 delivery fee which seems a little steep for what little they did. On the other hand if they wanted your service and return business for perhaps another car, they should have made you feel welcome. Apparently they have no interest in earning your future business. Burning bridges is how you go out of business.
GM is paying them to do the PDI, you are paying for the "courtesy" delivery. Doesn't sound like he got much for his $400.
ea327 (04-15-2021)
Old 04-15-2021, 07:55 AM
08Indy
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Well, I guess that’s one way of looking at it. Keep in mind I waited in line just like everyone else. One might say I gave up a normal delivery when I went the Courtesy Delivery route, but what did I pay for then? Shipping the car to another dealership wasn’t an additional charge to the dealer. They were paid for the PDI from GM.
direct007 (04-15-2021)
Old 04-15-2021, 08:11 AM
direct007
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 08Indy
Well, I guess that’s one way of looking at it. Keep in mind I waited in line just like everyone else. One might say I gave up a normal delivery when I went the Courtesy Delivery route, but what did I pay for then? Shipping the car to another dealership wasn’t an additional charge to the dealer. They were paid for the PDI from GM.
I'm sure if you press the issue, they will invite you back and give you the whole presentation. They don't need a bad review and will most likely make it right. I'm curious...Did you even raise the issue while there? Did you say...."Is this it? Are you going to show me the features of the car and fill up the tank?" or did you just leave in shock wondering what the hell just happened?

I'm sure there are people that would rather take delivery and just get out of the dealership in record time so they can experience the car first hand. Perhaps that was the impression you gave them.

Last edited by direct007; 04-15-2021 at 10:42 AM.
Mike Campbell (04-17-2021)
Old 04-15-2021, 08:14 AM
G8R-Vette
Pro

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

Default Me too!

Coincidentally, I also picked up my new 2021 via courtesy delivery at Stingray on Saturday morning! I added a writeup to the Courtesy Delivery sticky here: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1603283917

Last edited by G8R-Vette; 04-15-2021 at 08:17 AM.
Mike Campbell (04-17-2021)
Old 04-15-2021, 08:37 AM
gwalsh88
Burning Brakes

Received 803 Likes on 163 Posts

I have not had great experiences with Stingray over the last several years with my C6 or C7. For repairs it always ends up taking two trips to get my original issue resolved. They fix the car I drive all the way over there from Mount Dora (over an hour away) take it home, the issue comes back and I have to bring it back for a second time and it gets fixed. Not a lot of confidence so for anything beyond an oil change I bring it to Keith at AutoNation Chevrolet in Orlando.

But for oil changes, Stingray can't be beat! They have a drive over oil change bay and are quick and efficient. Usually 20 minutes tops!

Old 04-15-2021, 08:49 AM
08Indy
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by G8R-Vette
Coincidentally, I also picked up my new 2021 via courtesy delivery at Stingray on Saturday morning! I added a writeup to the Courtesy Delivery sticky here: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1603283917
I read your review. He mentioned that he delivered a car earlier that day. Must of been yours! I see you have pics of it on the show room. Is that where the car was? Did he review the features of the car with you and did you sign any paperwork with him? Who was your originating dealer? Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To My Experience with Courtesy Delivery at Stingray Chevrolet

Old 04-15-2021, 09:06 AM
08Indy
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm sure if you press the issue, they will invite you back and give you the whole presentation. They don't need a bad review and will most likely make it right. I'm curious...Did you even raise the issue while there? Did you say...."Is this it? Are you going to show me the features of the car and fill up the tank?" or did you just leave in shock wondering what the hell just happened?

I'm sure the are people that would rather take delivery and just get out of the dealership in record time so they can experience the car first hand. Perhaps that was the impression you gave them.
No I didn’t question him, which is uncharacteristic for me. He said I need a check for $400 and you’ll need to buy gas the service station is down the street and he would take care of the taxes and my plates when he got his paperwork. I could send him a check! Then he stood up and that was it.

Bye the way, I got the original title and certified bill of sale from MacMaulkin on Monday so I guess I’m handling the taxes and tag work!
Old 04-15-2021, 09:13 AM
Rabbi
Deal Maker

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 417 Likes on 246 Posts

Call the owner and lay some guilt on him, tell him you didn't get your money's worth "is this the way you want your business run?"
Old 04-15-2021, 09:55 AM
Fore58
Safety Car

Received 602 Likes on 456 Posts

Personally I don't expect quality service until it is actually received. Having said that I myself is doing the Stingray Chevrolet courtesy delivery. I have already made arrangements with the Fleet Manager of Stingray Mr Holley regarding the courtesy delivery. Stingray was the most convenient dealer close to me. I really don't expect that much from a courtesy delivery dealer which you are only paying $400 compared to others......which is ridiculous. Also I wouldn't want anyone to put gas in my car unless I know it's going to be 93 octane. So really for just $400, I was anticipating to most of the particular things myself. So what appeared to me is that you were dealing with people that didn't have a clue.....which was unfortunate. So in my case, I am set up with the Fleet Manager, Mr Holley.
SECLT22021 (04-16-2021)

Quick Reply: My Experience with Courtesy Delivery at Stingray Chevrolet