Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Experience with Courtesy Delivery at Stingray Chevrolet

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2021, 10:05 AM
Fast Dawg
Le Mans Master

Received 2,529 Likes on 1,608 Posts

Originally Posted by 08Indy
Bye the way, I got the original title and certified bill of sale from MacMaulkin on Monday so I guess I’m handling the taxes and tag work!
MacMulkin doesn't handle taxes and tag?
Old 04-15-2021, 08:36 PM
bluan
Pro

Received 590 Likes on 205 Posts

I picked up my MacMaulkin January ordered Z51 on Saturday from my courtesy dealer Stingray Chevrolet on Saturday 4/10. ...

...When I got there he walked me to the car unlocked it and said is this it? I confirmed and then we went inside and he gave me a the receipt for the temp tags and ask me to write him a check for $400. I wrote him a check and he said there’s no gas in the car but there are service stations down the street. He stood up and he was finished!

I know this was a courtesy delivery but I thought they still delivered the car by going over it’s features and how everything functioned as well as answer question. I thought that’s what I was getting for my $400! They did the PDI I assume and got paid by GM for that. No gas, no going over anything, no setting up features, no satellite radio set up, no 500 mile break in period nothing. Not even any paperwork stating that they did a courtesy delivery! He told me they would handle the taxes and tags and they didn’t even do that!
What has everyone else’s experience been like?
I'd assume that most courtesy delivery dealers would at least fill the gas tank for you, and my local courtesy delivery dealer did that, so you got the short end of the stick somewhat for not have the tank filled by them. That being said, you shouldn't feel too bad about it, because many other dealers do charge more, and $400 is the typical low-end cost by the courtesy delivery, so look from the bright side you didn't have to pay too much out of your pocket.

In terms of not getting any instructions of telling you how to use your car, actually you wouldn't need that, since it would be better off for you to learn all the details yourself from the manuals, plus they won't be able to tell you everything anyway. The less they do anything to your car the better. I took suggestions from many forum members here that I told my courtesy delivery dealer don't touch the car - don't wash the car, don't take off the protection covers, etc., and I'd all those myself. At the delivery time the dealer asked me if they need to show me the details of the car, I said no need for that and I'll just read the manuals.

The only thing you should be concerned with is if they installed the brake air ducts under the car for you properly (you should have 6 plastic pieces left in the trunk). If they have done that, nothing else to worry about it and just enjoy learning and driving the car. You would have a lot more headaches if they washed your car and left bunch of scratch marks on the car as someone reported here after the delivery.

Old 04-15-2021, 09:01 PM
G8R-Vette
Pro

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

I read your review. He mentioned that he delivered a car earlier that day. Must of been yours! I see you have pics of it on the show room. Is that where the car was? Did he review the features of the car with you and did you sign any paperwork with him? Who was your originating dealer? Thanks
Yup, car was on the showroom floor, which was kinda cool. Didn't go over any of the features, but I was actually just fine with that, as I'd been keeping up with the how-tos (and also owned a '19 Z06, so was already familiar with a lot). We sat down in his office and took care of registration and such, and poof, I was done. Probably 15 minutes on paperwork. Zero complaints. Oh, Criswell (Mike Furman) was originating dealer.
Old 04-16-2021, 12:50 AM
08Indy
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 86 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by G8R-Vette
Yup, car was on the showroom floor, which was kinda cool. Didn't go over any of the features, but I was actually just fine with that, as I'd been keeping up with the how-tos (and also owned a '19 Z06, so was already familiar with a lot). We sat down in his office and took care of registration and such, and poof, I was done. Probably 15 minutes on paperwork. Zero complaints. Oh, Criswell (Mike Furman) was originating dealer.
Did they put gas in the car, set up on star and satellite radio? Thanks
Old 04-16-2021, 11:07 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,391 Likes on 14,024 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I would think that you would have at least received a full tank of gas for your $400. But, at least you now have your C8 to enjoy.
Old 04-16-2021, 11:55 AM
ajmart85
Pro

Received 425 Likes on 202 Posts

I wouldn't have even given the $400 given the underwhelming delivery. Sometimes you need to teach these dealerships a lesson in respect and manners and tell them to pound sand.

Last edited by ajmart85; 04-16-2021 at 11:55 AM.
Old 04-16-2021, 12:07 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,743 Likes on 2,933 Posts

I had a rather poor courtesy delivery experience locally here with my C7 back in 2014 so decided this time around with the C8 I'd rather fly and take delivery direct from my ordering dealer instead! I had a somewhat similar experience as the OP; the dealer at least did the PDI procedure, but otherwise did nothing other than put my temp tag on the car and send me on my way with the gas tank on fumes.
Old 04-16-2021, 12:56 PM
08Indy
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 86 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
I would think that you would have at least received a full tank of gas for your $400. But, at least you now have your C8 to enjoy.
Agreed!
Old 04-16-2021, 01:03 PM
G8R-Vette
Pro

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

Did they put gas in the car, set up on star and satellite radio? Thanks
No, none of that. He'd warned about no gas, though, and I didn't expect the OnStar or SiriusXM setup. This may have been a harsh experience for someone needing a little bit more of an "introduction" to the car, but I was perfectly fine with what I got (it matched/exceeded my expectations, in that I expected games or surprises and there weren't any).
Old 04-16-2021, 01:23 PM
SECLT22021
Pro

Received 445 Likes on 224 Posts

What are you expecting? I received all this information from MM on my curtesy delivery before even 2000 status.
I left off the delaler info below. MM contacted dealer and responses below

1.Will your dealership handle the delivery for this Corvette? YES

2.Do you prep and clean the car, apply decals, put on plate frames, etc...? (We request that no dealership badges or stickers be placed on the corvettes out of consideration for our customer’s wishes.) YES

3.What is your BAC and Dealer code? BAC xxxxxx

4.What is your cost for the courtesy delivery? $500.00, CUSTOMER PAYS US AND WE SEND CHECK TO THE DEALER

5.We like to make the customer aware of this all upfront to avoid any surprises. Besides the courtesy delivery fee, are there any other fees or taxes involved for the customer? YES, $7 inspection fee

6. Do you register the car for the customer, and if so, what is the extra charge for that? NO

7.Do we owe the PDI money or does the fee you charge the customer cover that fee?

(normally we reverse the PDI so you can apply for it) REVERSE

8.Do you put gas in the car? YES, $45 FILL UP
9.Is there someone that will sit with the customer and go over all the options in the vehicle? YES

10.Who are the primary and secondary contacts for courtesy deliveries at your dealership and contact information?

Old 04-16-2021, 01:37 PM
SECLT22021
Pro

Received 445 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by tsigwing
GM is paying them to do the PDI, you are paying for the "courtesy" delivery. Doesn't sound like he got much for his $400.
Depends, I consider the "Courtesy Delivery" as delivering a car locally that the dealer doesnt make the sale on? Dealer is only making $400 compared to thousands of a new car sale.
Second, the Courtesy Delivery is saving me a flight to NH, 27 hour drive home, hotel cost or transporting a car cost.

I'll be happy if my courtesy delivery dealer just hands me the keys and car is clean. Gas station is across the street from my dealer lot so gas isnt a problem.

Last edited by SECLT22021; 04-28-2021 at 09:56 PM.
Old 04-16-2021, 05:59 PM
frankjr
Burning Brakes

Received 698 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by direct007
I'd be surprised that they did the PDI. The guy didn't even know the car was there until you told him about it! Better double check.
Will have my C8 transported to my home in Florida by Intercity Lines, $$$ saved because of no fees and courtesy delivery will almost pay for delivery.
1. Did this with my C7 purchased from them with excellent results.
2. Trust MacMulkin to do PDI other than a dealer I have had no experience with.
Old 04-16-2021, 11:54 PM
TJcorvette
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Good information to know. I'm supposed to have my courtesy delivery at Stingray in a couple of months or whenever my C8 is finally built.
Old 04-17-2021, 07:27 AM
C82021
Burning Brakes

Received 533 Likes on 275 Posts

For 400 bucks I wouldn’t expect much more than a car and keys. The other dealer, I suppose, had better deliver a really nice handshake and hug for an extra $300 lol.

I just think this blown opportunity for Stingray Chevrolet. The real money on most cars is future servicing. I would think a great courtesy delivery experience would be a GREAT opportunity to win over servicing business for many years.

Think about it: these dealers have a chance to lock in years of profitable service business..on a car they didn’t have to sell AND get paid for it!
The following users liked this post:
SECLT22021 (04-28-2021)
Old 04-17-2021, 07:40 AM
frankjr
Burning Brakes

Received 698 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by C82021
For 400 bucks I wouldn’t expect much more than a car and keys. The other dealer, I suppose, had better deliver a really nice handshake and hug for an extra $300 lol.

I just think this blown opportunity for Stingray Chevrolet. The real money on most cars is future servicing. I would think a great courtesy delivery experience would be a GREAT opportunity to win over servicing business for many years.

Think about it: these dealers have a chance to lock in years of profitable service business..on a car they didn’t have to sell AND get paid for it!
The following 2 users liked this post by frankjr:
C82021 (04-17-2021), SECLT22021 (04-28-2021)
Old 04-17-2021, 08:55 AM
gkvetteuno
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 20 Posts

Like the OP, I purchased my 2021 Corvette from MacMulkin and had it courtesy delivered to Stingray Chevrolet in Jan.2021. The Fleet Mgr. called me that the car was ready for pick-up and we made an appointment for date and time,
When I got there to pick the car up, he was waiting for me, His name was Rich Holley. he greeted me in a very friendly way, found the keys and then showed the car. He then offered to have a delivery tech come over to show the features which I thought was a very nice gesture and agreed to. He did mention the car needed gas and there was a station just down the street which seemed like good advice to me. In my experience filling the tank is usually a perk offered by the selling dealer. While waiting for the Tech, we finished up the paper work. It only took a few minutes, by the time we were done the tech showed up. He went over every detail of the car, answered all my questions and never seemed hurried.
I would also mention Stingray did the registration paper work , paid the sales tax and registration fees up front and then sent me a bill, I though this was pretty generous since they fronted about $4000 of their own money for a $400 courtesy fee. On the whole my experience was a pleasurable one. MacMulkin was very attentive to every detail and Rich Holley at Stingray did a super job. I am sorry that the OP's experience was different but mine worked as it was supposed to. And BTW, my 2021 Corvette is an awesome car.
The following 5 users liked this post by gkvetteuno:
C82021 (04-17-2021), Fast Dawg (04-26-2021), G8R-Vette (04-17-2021), Mike Campbell (04-17-2021), SECLT22021 (04-28-2021)
Old 04-17-2021, 09:32 AM
heisnuts
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 457 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by C82021

I agree. Especially in this market. Since every dealer right now can sell any C8 they are allocated at full MSRP right away, it's not like the guy asking for the curtesy delivery is taking away a sale from the dealer. Even taking the $400 out of the equation, I just don't understand why you would want to set such a negative impression of your business, especially with someone who you know just bought a new car that you can service in the future and lives nearby.
The following 2 users liked this post by heisnuts:
frankjr (04-17-2021), JPierquet (04-17-2021)
Old 04-17-2021, 09:38 AM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,069 Likes on 592 Posts

Sorry to hear about your experience, but, having bought Corvettes at several different dealerships I can only say 95 % of my experience have been very positive. But I would be PO'ed too so I'd suggest you get in touch with the dealership and bring it to their attention. This stuff hurts all of them and MacMulkin and Stingray are both top rated dealerships and both of them don't need bad publicity. Good luck!
Old 04-26-2021, 11:13 AM
0SeanM@Stingray
Former Vendor

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts
Default On Behalf of Stingray Chevrolet

08Indy, I am very sorry to hear that your expectations on your C8 courtesy delivery (CD) were not met here at Stingray. We try very hard to set expectations regarding what is included in our nominal C8 courtesy delivery fee, but failed to do so with you. Unfortunately, because we are not the ordering dealer, I do not have access to CD orders placed by another dealer. Unless notified by the client or the ordering dealer, I have no way of knowing who’s Silver, Blue, or Red C8 the vehicle belongs to. In addition, the ordering dealer is paid the allowance for the fuel, and this is why it is not included in our fee. Nonetheless, I should have done a better job setting the expectations, and meeting those expectations. If there is anything we can do to make it right please contact me directly at 813-359-5036 or at rholley@stingraychevrolet.com. Thanks, Rich.
The following 7 users liked this post by SeanM@Stingray:
Fast Dawg (04-26-2021), G8R-Vette (04-26-2021), Mike Campbell (04-27-2021), OLD_GOAT (04-26-2021), pdddd (10-22-2021), SECLT22021 (04-28-2021), V RED 08 (04-26-2021) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: My Experience with Courtesy Delivery at Stingray Chevrolet