Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who wants an E-Ray

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2021, 02:13 PM
msm859
Melting Slicks

Received 997 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by gilbybarr
No electric cars for me until 1) the travel range is increased to at least 400 miles without a charge, and 2) there are enough conveniently available charging stations to allow a cross country traveler to be confident they would not be stuck somewhere waiting their turn to charge. As for a hybrid....no interest. I'll keep my old trusty V8 thank you.
Already there. Tesla Model S - 412 mile rage. Tesla Superchargers everywhere + you can use all the other chargers as well.
The following 3 users liked this post by msm859:
KBT (03-13-2021), Klakeman (03-19-2021), klavrack (03-19-2021)
Old 03-13-2021, 07:39 PM
greenshark68
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I will never buy an electric Corvette. It’s not a Corvette without a ICE to me. The electrics are being used to provide some CO2 compliance but truth be known the real CO2 footprint of a Tesla is huge when factoring the energy required to produce the car. The pathway to lower CO2 emissions is renewable liquid hydrocarbon fuel in a very efficient ICE. Engineers have known this but governments are hell bent on controlling the population so if you are an E-Ray fan then you are conforming to the will of the elites.
The following users liked this post:
SharkDiverZ06 (03-13-2021)
Old 03-13-2021, 07:47 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Can't they call on Bose to whip up some audio BS to make it sound like a car. Even if they made it sound like a damn Miata it would be better than the sound of a Tesla.
B747VET (03-14-2021)
Old 03-13-2021, 10:51 PM
acrace
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by greenshark68
I will never buy an electric Corvette. It’s not a Corvette without a ICE to me. The electrics are being used to provide some CO2 compliance but truth be known the real CO2 footprint of a Tesla is huge when factoring the energy required to produce the car. The pathway to lower CO2 emissions is renewable liquid hydrocarbon fuel in a very efficient ICE. Engineers have known this but governments are hell bent on controlling the population so if you are an E-Ray fan then you are conforming to the will of the elites.
E-Ray has an ICE in it.
msm859 (03-14-2021)
Old 03-13-2021, 11:02 PM
Phil1098
Race Director

Received 11,634 Likes on 4,656 Posts

Originally Posted by acrace
E-Ray has an ICE in it.
Along with even more weight and complexity. Huge battery pack, electric motor, half shafts, etc. Pass, pass, pass. The EV market sucks a fat one, and if gas stayed at $2.00 a gallon, it would go away. The latest regime will artificially raise gas to $5.00 (already got it up a $1.00 in two months) a gallon or more so all the lemmings hair will be on fire and they will MAKE a market for EV. Off the cliff we'll all go. Pathetic.
The following 5 users liked this post by Phil1098:
kenownr (03-19-2021), lewislgZ06 (03-14-2021), Michael A (03-19-2021), SharkDiverZ06 (03-13-2021), tertiumquid (03-18-2021)
Old 03-14-2021, 03:45 AM
B747VET
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 862 Likes on 404 Posts

The last I heard, the E-Ray is conceptually more like that Ferrari Stradale, a high performance ICE RWD with an electric supplemental power source driving the front wheels, but with only 600+ HP.

That is a simplified explanation of what the 900-1100 HP Zora is also likely to be. Basically the market is going to be demanding a few 800 to 1200 HP 4WD ICE performance cars but nobody wants the problems that come with trying to design, build, and maintain a 1200 HP strictly ICE powered sports car that can also do more than drive fast in a straight line. This E-Ray will be a step toward those type of objectives. So that’s one aspect of all this.

But, some here are alternatively discussing an all electric EV which might be a C8 or a C9 or might be neither. However, one thing is certain, they are unrelated points for discussion.

For myself, I would very much consider enjoying a high performance vehicle like the ICE/electric E-Ray. But driving a high powered true EV sports car, a car without vibration, a car without the symphonic sounds of sheer brute ICE power production, holds no more interest to me than flying a P-51 Mustang with the sounds of a battery powered electric motor rather than the soul wrenching song of a Packard built Merlin. Or, perhaps sadly similar to the amazing experience of handling the reins of a six horse Wells Fargo stagecoach compared to steering the same stagecoach pulled by six electric motorcycles.

Such electric vehicular experiences would rival attending a live symphonic presentation of the 1812 Overture with electronically generated sounds of cannon fire rather than authentic live period cannon fire. But, each to his or her own.

Last edited by B747VET; 03-14-2021 at 04:55 AM.
Old 03-14-2021, 06:57 AM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,742 Likes on 3,020 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by TXFlyGuy
I do not want an electric 'Vette...or any other coal powered car. V8's rule!
You better get used to the idea, this is just the beginning of the electric revolution....GM wants to be all electric by 2035
Old 03-14-2021, 07:05 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,657 Likes on 6,653 Posts

Originally Posted by B747VET
The last I heard, the E-Ray is conceptually more like that Ferrari Stradale, a high performance ICE RWD with an electric supplemental power source driving the front wheels, but with only 600+ HP.

That is a simplified explanation of what the 900-1100 HP Zora is also likely to be. Basically the market is going to be demanding a few 800 to 1200 HP 4WD ICE performance cars but nobody wants the problems that come with trying to design, build, and maintain a 1200 HP strictly ICE powered sports car that can also do more than drive fast in a straight line. This E-Ray will be a step toward those type of objectives. So that’s one aspect of all this.
Depends who is saying it, even Ferrari! I'm not the only one who mentioned BUT Ferrari nor GM etc are going to talk about a hybrid design so it can get ~40 mpg (or in Europe meet the maximum CO2/km.) But the 1174 page detailed government report that defined the planned 2017 Law that said Sports cars (Corvette shown in a table from a page from that report) said would be required in 2025 is what this short Press Release was based on:

https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov...iency-standard

Even Tadge commented; we understand that Corvette folks don't want to hear about Stop/Start etc. Yep Ferrari folks either! Car companies will wait until a "government" takes the blame for requiring low or no CO2 emissions! That can be the US Law, a European County or California- who tried with a lawsuit. BUT the effort was blocked with a pen in 2017 as well as counter lawsuits when CA tried to implement what is stated in the above press release.

The ZORA however is interesting. The Law said the "Average" Corvette (or other sports cars) would need ~40 mpg but a few of that family as they are defined very carefully in the report (NOT JUST NAME) can have low mpg IF the average can see meet the goal. Porsche for example has said they will have 50% EV's in 2025. The Ferrari CEO last year they planned to sell on 60% hybrids in 2022. In that press release he also said they would not have an EV because batteries capable of delivering Sports Car performance won't be ready until 2025. Note the dates! So the high priced, low mpg Zora can be built because few will be sold at the probable $150,000+ price so the ~40 mpg average can still be obtained.

Yep these are tables from that 1174 page report that said that press release was based on. I read both BUT the short press release is easier! Suggest folks can read it and not understand we have a new pen now AND high performance ICE Sports cars are goin the way of the DooDo bird. Yep in just a few months that pen has shown that is the direction they will "require" and pass laws to make it happen!

Last edited by JerryU; 03-14-2021 at 08:23 AM.
Old 03-14-2021, 11:33 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

But, some here are alternatively discussing an all electric EV which might be a C8 or a C9 or might be neither. However, one thing is certain, they are unrelated points for discussion.

For myself, I would very much consider enjoying a high performance vehicle like the ICE/electric E-Ray. But driving a high powered true EV sports car, a car without vibration, a car without the symphonic sounds of sheer brute ICE power production, holds no more interest to me than flying a P-51 Mustang with the sounds of a battery powered electric motor rather than the soul wrenching song of a Packard built Merlin. Or, perhaps sadly similar to the amazing experience of handling the reins of a six horse Wells Fargo stagecoach compared to steering the same stagecoach pulled by six electric motorcycles.

Such electric vehicular experiences would rival attending a live symphonic presentation of the 1812 Overture with electronically generated sounds of cannon fire rather than authentic live period cannon fire. But, each to his or her own.
You nailed it Man, really great stuff, excellent post on the subject.
B747VET (03-14-2021)
Old 03-15-2021, 10:22 AM
Garysvetteagain
Racer

Received 196 Likes on 83 Posts

It's gotta be (for the most part) a generational thing. Growing up driving age in the 60's with the muscle cars....I loved the smell of gasoline, the rumble and roar when accelerating, that erratic tempo engine sound at idle...so cam-a-licious!!

But when I talk to the younger guys in the office....20's, 30's, 40's....the say "smell what, sounds like what"...

I just had this "all electric vette" conversation with my wife the other day....won't work for me....there's no symphony of sounds and smells, I think I would loose that connection to the car cause that's what puts that smile on our faces...Oh yeah!

NOW having said that....would I be opposed to a hybrid vette with some power going to the front wheels....still has the sound and the smells....you betcha! Hybrid combo's give a huge boost to performance and adding power to the front wheels would glue the car even more to the road......BUT.... that symphony would still have to be there to light my fire. It's just gotta make me smile!

The following 2 users liked this post by Garysvetteagain:
B747VET (03-16-2021), kenownr (03-19-2021)
Old 03-15-2021, 01:56 PM
wfoZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by whynotC8
just curious on the interest level on E-ray. I know mine is growing after making the mistake of getting on the wrong list and still waiting. I have no plan on tracking the car. I think E-Ray will be a street beast.

The Toyota Hypercars were a BEAST coming out of the corners at the COTA Le Mans series. I'll take one.
Old 03-18-2021, 04:21 PM
B747VET
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 862 Likes on 404 Posts

Speaking of the E-Ray and the follow on Electric Vette (E9?). I had the opportunity to play with a highly optioned Porsche Taycan last night and I have to rather surprisingly admit that it is truly a phenomenal car. Far beyond all the Teslas I’ve driven and I assume it will be the target for the Corvette All Electric vehicle. WOW is about the only word I have to describe the Taycan and the sound it makes is beyond cool ... Both powerful and futuristic, similar to the Tron vehicles and you can hear it kinda howling two blocks away. Oh, and the Taycan has a Frunk like the C8, but unlike the C8, the Taycan front hood has a mechanical safety latch so that the hood can't pop up and fly back by accident. Maybe GM will learn from the Taycan in a number of ways. The three TV screens that span the width of the dash are also very well designed and I believe are selectively interchangeable.

Clarification: I am not saying that I would replace our C7 Z07 M7 with a Taycan. However, I am saying that the Taycan would be my definitive choice for our 2nd performance car/sedan and one that can carry four adults.

Last edited by B747VET; 03-21-2021 at 05:08 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by B747VET:
Klakeman (03-19-2021), msm859 (03-18-2021)
Old 03-18-2021, 04:33 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,226 Likes on 3,417 Posts

Speaking of the E-Ray and the follow on ELectric Vette, I had the opportunity to play with a highly optioned Porsche Taycan last night and I have to admit that it is truly a phenomenal car. Far beyond all the Teslas I’ve driven and I assume it will be the target for the Corvette All Electric vehicle. WOW is about the only word I have to describe the Taycan and the sound it makes is beyond cool ... Both powerful and futuristic, similar to the Tron vehicles.
Just like the more senior of us here on the forum learned to associate certain ICE sounds with power and performance, the younger ones will learn to associate certain EV sounds with power and performance.
I feel I'm still not too old to learn this association.
Old 03-18-2021, 04:35 PM
patrickboyle
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Ah ... No. Hard Pass on anything Electric.
Old 03-18-2021, 05:54 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,657 Likes on 6,653 Posts

Originally Posted by RKCRLR
Just like the more senior of us here on the forum learned to associate certain ICE sounds with power and performance, the younger ones will learn to associate certain EV sounds with power and performance.
I feel I'm still not too old to learn this association.
I thought even the E-Ray hybrid needs a "cool sound" at idle and when it's only electric. Just have Bose provide with adjustable volume. I would opt for selecting between some cool cars. Like a Columbo 12 cylinder Ferrari, a Duntov cam 57 fuelly, perhaps an old F1 that revved to ~18,000 rpm (heard a 1 year old Schumacher F1 car driven by a Ferrari Test driver at the Laguna Seca Vintage Races when it was Ferrari's year.) Sounded like a Sewing Machine from where we were sitting in the stands between turns after the Andretti hairpin!. But my favorite for idle and accelerating from a light would be a AA/Fuel Funny Car.

Last edited by JerryU; 03-18-2021 at 05:56 PM.
Old 03-18-2021, 06:04 PM
jackfrostpdx
Burning Brakes

Received 631 Likes on 317 Posts

I want an E-Ray as my next Corvette but not as my forever Corvette.
Old 03-19-2021, 01:10 AM
thatsmydog
Instructor

Received 94 Likes on 48 Posts

I own a 2021 Corvette and would have waited for an E-ray if the wait wasnt so long. The concept seems amazing to me. Plug in that has 35 miles or so of range, driving the front wheels only, but with a pushrod V8 beast in back, ready to go to war. Best of both worlds. Fantastic for daily drivers and would lower 0-60 times at the track as well. I dont know any of this for fact but I cant imagine they arent true.
msm859 (03-19-2021)

Get notified of new replies

To who wants an E-Ray

Old 03-19-2021, 08:53 AM
drfcolt
Advanced

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

AWD hybrid similar to Acura NSX, yes.

495HP V8 + 105+ HP electric = 600+ HP AWD

2021 NSX info
Old 03-19-2021, 09:30 AM
greenshark68
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by drfcolt
AWD hybrid similar to Acura NSX, yes.

495HP V8 + 105+ HP electric = 600+ HP AWD

2021 NSX info
That NSX weighs in at 3,900 lbs. Car and Driver measured a 0-60 in 3.1 seconds. My 19 ZR1 does 0-60 in 3.0 seconds (Car and Driver) and there’s nothing like the sound of a cold start 755 hp LT5. Not an EV fan.

Last edited by greenshark68; 03-19-2021 at 09:33 AM.
Old 03-19-2021, 11:13 AM
16falcon
Drifting

Received 1,168 Likes on 624 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21

Originally Posted by thatsmydog
The concept seems amazing to me. Plug in that has 35 miles or so of range, driving the front wheels only, but with a pushrod V8 beast in back, ready to go to war. Best of both worlds.
I seldom see the ERay described as being a plug-in with any kind of all electric mode. What you describe is Corvette Volt of sorts. I have a C8 and a Volt. I would be all over that too but I suspect that the ERay will not be a plug-in, it will have a much smaller battery and the front electric motor(s) will simply be for better performance and better fuel economy. Time will tell.
B747VET (03-19-2021)

Quick Reply: who wants an E-Ray