Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield PPF

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2021, 09:05 PM
dfettero
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 137 Posts
Default Windshield PPF

Looking for a windshield PPF for my C8.
My C7 windshield was "sandblasted" after a few years.
Old 02-22-2021, 09:17 PM
bluan
Pro

Received 590 Likes on 205 Posts

You could consider apply a layer of ceramic coating yourself, by using something like AvalonKing ceramic or any other 9H grade ceramic coating and simply wipe it on and let it cure for a day, which will add a layer of hardness to the windshield surface and reduce some scratches. Spending more than that probably wouldn't make much sense since you could just replace the whole windshield after a few years if it gets' badly scratched.
Old 02-22-2021, 09:29 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,124 Likes on 6,194 Posts

ExoShield nanoceramic windshield protection film.
The following users liked this post:
EasyMoney$$ (02-23-2021)
Old 02-22-2021, 10:06 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

clearplex is a brand or bray or exoshield as mentioned here

all do a good job had it on it 570s for 18k miles and no issues

5k miles in my c8

Last edited by dvandentop; 02-22-2021 at 10:07 PM.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:31 PM
wysokowski
Racer

Received 243 Likes on 94 Posts
Default add a layer of hardness

Originally Posted by bluan
You could consider apply a layer of ceramic coating yourself, by using something like AvalonKing ceramic or any other 9H grade ceramic coating and simply wipe it on and let it cure for a day, which will add a layer of hardness to the windshield surface and reduce some scratches. Spending more than that probably wouldn't make much sense since you could just replace the whole windshield after a few years if it gets' badly scratched.
Its glass. How does one "add a layer of hardness" to it??
Old 02-22-2021, 10:34 PM
wysokowski
Racer

Received 243 Likes on 94 Posts

The names of these products are hilarious. May as well name them Unicorn Oil or Fairydust Sealant...
Old 02-22-2021, 10:59 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Old 02-22-2021, 11:36 PM
Cenzoooo
Burning Brakes

Received 673 Likes on 290 Posts

I love watching pit crew pulling the tear offs from the windshield during a stop. F1 drivers use them on their visors also. They aren't a permanent solution, but you can look into them for use on a long road trip. Stack a few and peel them off every few hundred miles.
​​​​​
Old 02-23-2021, 05:36 AM
BudgetPlan1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 609 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by bluan
In a practical sense, the whole 'eleventy billion h' hardness nonsense associated with coatings is just that...nonsense. The 'hardness' added by a coating is so negligible it's irrelevant. Coatings provide a lot of nice benefits but scratch, chip resistance and hardness ain't among them.
gurneyeagle (02-23-2021)
Old 02-23-2021, 09:22 AM
EasyMoney$$
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Zymurgy

I'm thinking I need something either DIY or available (quickly) at NCM for the drive home (1,700 miles). Can this film be purchased and DIY or is there a 'installer" at or near BG?
Old 02-23-2021, 09:48 AM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by EasyMoney$$
I'm thinking I need something either DIY or available (quickly) at NCM for the drive home (1,700 miles). Can this film be purchased and DIY or is there a 'installer" at or near BG?
You can use either of those companies websites to find installers anywhere. For example, Exoshield has the following listed:

Auto Armor Window Tinting and Paint Protection
Installer
CERTIFIED
505 Kimberlee A. Fast Drive
Bowling Green, Kentucky 42103
615-553-4015

Clearplex is made by Madico, but I could not find any installers within 25 miles of Bowling Green.
EasyMoney$$ (02-23-2021)
Old 02-23-2021, 11:36 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,778 Likes on 3,186 Posts

I did this on my last car. Works great (clearplex) just be aware it scratches easily. But know that the need untouched windshield is still in tact underneath. Can swap that film out where couple few years and keep it crystal clear. Knowing how integral a windshield is to the car? It's money well spent if chips in glass drive you nuts. I know they do for me.
Old 02-23-2021, 06:59 PM
bluan
Pro

Received 590 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by wysokowski
Its glass. How does one "add a layer of hardness" to it??
I bought and used the AvalonKing ceramic coating for the car, and after I saw their website showing that the ceramic coating can also apply to the windshield, I contacted their customer support asking about the effect of applying it to the windshield, and they told me that, because 9H ceramic coating is suppose to form a hard top layer over the surface where it's applied. So I applied the coating to the windshield of my C8 as well. What they meant was that the ceramic coating offers the same kind of scratch resistance, whatever that might be, as it does to the car body paint after applying on the car. And by scratch, it certainly does not mean strong force scratch such as stones or chips or metal hitting it, but minor force scratches such as sand or dust blasted over the surface.

Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1
In a practical sense, the whole 'eleventy billion h' hardness nonsense associated with coatings is just that...nonsense. The 'hardness' added by a coating is so negligible it's irrelevant. Coatings provide a lot of nice benefits but scratch, chip resistance and hardness ain't among them.
It may turn out to be the case as you said that it's so negligible that may not help. I just took what AvalonKing told me and applied to both car body and windshield. Based on some reports and body shop videos, a true 9H level of ceramic coating is so hard that after it's been applied to the car body, it can not be simply wiped off, and detailers would have to use special buff or sander to remove it before they could do paint correction and re-apply the ceramic coating. I think time will tell if the coating will help keep the minor scratches down over its lifetime of a few years. I never used this before, but I am holding a wait-and-see attitude to see if it makes any difference in terms of keeping the surface to its original form.

Old 02-23-2021, 07:14 PM
Blade2382
Pro

Received 403 Likes on 207 Posts
Modified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist

How much do either of these two options cost?

Get notified of new replies

To Windshield PPF

Quick Reply: Windshield PPF