Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fix the front lift system leak problem with this final solution

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2021, 10:37 AM
C8J
Le Mans Master

Received 3,152 Likes on 1,717 Posts

Originally Posted by E TKIT RIDE
I for one will be anxiously awaiting your results.... I ordered the lift on my car but all these posts make me question whether I should have :-(
Not singling ETKITRIDE, just most recent post, this provided reason to have believed. @yelocarbuff 's failed attempt at humor when everything here has been fairly scientific in its approach to the subject matter. Or I'll just pass it off as something lost in translation just like Yellow (English) => yelo (CA).

Regarding the Front Lift, even with the inconvenience it has caused, its benefits waaaaay outweigh the hopefully short lived design defect. Again, unless you are on an extremely sharp hill, lowering below the seam line apx 1/4" (unless the system has already done so for you) removes the problem caused by the defective design and causes NO ill side effects. for me until the TSB is issued. Now which comes first, the TSB or the Z06? That's the only type of humor that should be used here.

Last edited by C8J; 03-07-2021 at 11:10 AM.
Old 03-07-2021, 11:19 AM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,197 Likes on 3,401 Posts

Originally Posted by RKCRLR
The diaphragm might not seal in the area of the groove because it is not being compressed in that location so it may leak.
The diaphragm doesn't appear to have enough volume to compensate for the volume change of the reservoir so it may fatigue over time if it did seal.
It appears that diaphragm is now a glorified gasket.

Edit: Looking more closely at the "diaphragm" pictures, it doesn't appear to be designed to extend and contract.
Originally Posted by MAD Matt
Man, This new "Blue" cap thing has really caused a stir. Being that I spent a month experimenting with the system and devising the "Gizmo" I have a dog in this hunt. During my experiment phase I never tried a closed system due to concerns of pressure and poppin' the tank. Since this is now on GM I'm down and all in for the final judgement on this new "Blue" cap. I should have mine by the first part of this next week. Once I have it installed on my car I'll be starting the experiment process all over again. The first thing I'm going to due, once the cap is installed, is fill the reservoir to the "MAX" line and then wrap my reservoir in a 6 mil garbage bag. I will then park the car right in the middle of my "very, very inclined driveway and cycle the lift 20 times or more. I'll give it my best to freakin' blow the tank to smithereens. If it happens, I'll get another reservoir tank (Via warranty). My dealer contact is working with me on this one. The replacement tank will simply get the "Gizmo" reinstalled at which point, I'm done, never lookin' back....water under the bridge. I'll update everyone when "She Blows"....or not. We shall see, I ain't scared.....LOL Oh, and this go around, the GoPro will be there along with some bright LED lighting to capture the action!! WoooHooo....
It would be interesting to put a vacuum gage on the gizmo cap and see how much of a vacuum is actually pulled when the lift raises.
I understand the concern about cyclic fatigue but hopefully GM looked into that and determined it isn't an issue.

Last edited by RKCRLR; 03-07-2021 at 11:26 AM.
Old 03-07-2021, 11:24 AM
C8J
Le Mans Master

In the short time here, I'll take that bet - they probably didn't. Just sayin'.
Old 03-07-2021, 01:33 PM
yelocarbuff
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Man, This new "Blue" cap thing has really caused a stir. Being that I spent a month experimenting with the system and devising the "Gizmo" I have a dog in this hunt. During my experiment phase I never tried a closed system due to concerns of pressure and poppin' the tank. Since this is now on GM I'm down and all in for the final judgement on this new "Blue" cap. I should have mine by the first part of this next week. Once I have it installed on my car I'll be starting the experiment process all over again. The first thing I'm going to due, once the cap is installed, is fill the reservoir to the "MAX" line and then wrap my reservoir in a 6 mil garbage bag. I will then park the car right in the middle of my "very, very inclined driveway and cycle the lift 20 times or more. I'll give it my best to freakin' blow the tank to smithereens. If it happens, I'll get another reservoir tank (Via warranty). My dealer contact is working with me on this one. The replacement tank will simply get the "Gizmo" reinstalled at which point, I'm done, never lookin' back....water under the bridge. I'll update everyone when "She Blows"....or not. We shall see, I ain't scared.....LOL Oh, and this go around, the GoPro will be there along with some bright LED lighting to capture the action!! WoooHooo....
Love that plan. Let us know what happens.

The issue here is time. How many cycles will it take to crack the plastic tank due to the pressure differential? 20, 200, or 2000?
We do not know. But what we do know if there was a good reason why the system was designed the way it originally was.
And that was to be vented. All of a sudden, it does not need to be vented.
So what changed? Nothing.

What is clear is that GM is gambling the tank/system survives the next 3 years, at which point it becomes the owner's problem, not GM's.
I hope they have tested it with an accelerated aging cycle test.

Another reason as to why extended warranty is prudent if you plan on keeping the car longer than 3 years.

Still not convinced the blue cap will fix the leak, so all of this is still speculation till MAD Matt completes his tests. That will be very helpful to owners with this lift.

Last edited by yelocarbuff; 03-07-2021 at 01:37 PM.
Old 03-07-2021, 01:48 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by yelocarbuff
Love that plan. Let us know what happens.

The issue here is time. How many cycles will it take to crack the plastic tank due to the pressure differential? 20, 200, or 2000?
We do not know. But what we do know if there was a good reason why the system was designed the way it originally was.
And that was to be vented. All of a sudden, it does not need to be vented.
So what changed? Nothing.

What is clear is that GM is gambling the tank/system survives the next 3 years, at which point it becomes the owner's problem, not GM's.
I hope they have tested it with an accelerated aging cycle test.

Another reason as to why extended warranty is prudent if you plan on keeping the car longer than 3 years.

Still not convinced the blue cap will fix the leak, so all of this is still speculation till MAD Matt completes his tests. That will be very helpful to owners with this lift.
What changed may be GM recognizing that the previous cap/reservoir design isn't an adequate design for a lift system. My guess is the design was borrowed from an existing brake reservoir design. While a vented design may be required for a brake system it may not be necessary for a lift system. Hopefully there was more scrutiny with the decision to put with a non-vented cap on the existing reservoir and cyclic fatigue was taken into account. I wouldn't be surprised if the TSB includes a lower reservoir fluid level to minimize the pressure differential.
My plan is to use the blue cap. If the reservoir fails in the future when it is out of warranty I will replace it with a properly designed reservoir/bladder system.

Last edited by RKCRLR; 03-07-2021 at 01:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
yelocarbuff (03-07-2021)
Old 03-07-2021, 03:40 PM
MAD Matt
Drifting

Received 1,353 Likes on 600 Posts

What changed may be GM recognizing that the previous cap/reservoir design isn't an adequate design for a lift system. My guess is the design was borrowed from an existing brake reservoir design. While a vented design may be required for a brake system it may not be necessary for a lift system. Hopefully there was more scrutiny with the decision to put with a non-vented cap on the existing reservoir and cyclic fatigue was taken into account. I wouldn't be surprised if the TSB includes a lower reservoir fluid level to minimize the pressure differential.
My plan is to use the blue cap. If the reservoir fails in the future when it is out of warranty I will replace it with a properly designed reservoir/bladder system.
During the development of the International Race of Champions (IROC) series, Mark Donohue spent a considerable amount of seat time in the Camaros. His theory on front spoilers was, "If you can't hear it scraping under extreme braking, it isn't low enough". True story. I'm not too worried about any of this as my plan is to replace the reservoir with a Z06 as soon as they are available. (I'm number one on my dealers list) . I plan to forego all the bells and whistles this next go around to keep the car as light as possible. Scrape away..........

Last edited by MAD Matt; 03-07-2021 at 04:00 PM.
Old 03-07-2021, 08:41 PM
Alohabob
8th Gear

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Got my new blue cap last week and used the front lift about a dozen times since then. Just inspected the area and no new fluid leaks. Seems to be working.

The following 3 users liked this post by Alohabob:
bluan (03-07-2021), JerryU (03-08-2021), yelocarbuff (03-07-2021)
Old 03-07-2021, 10:36 PM
CarbideTech
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I checked with my local dealer weeks ago. Th “original” black cap was SPECIFIC to the C8.
Old 03-08-2021, 10:24 AM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by CarbideTech
I checked with my local dealer weeks ago. Th “original” black cap was SPECIFIC to the C8.
The cap design is typical of a cap used for a brake fluid reservoir. Although the part number may be specific to the C8 the same design may be used in several other applications. GM many times has different part numbers for parts of the same design.
Old 03-08-2021, 10:48 AM
MAD Matt
Drifting

The cap design is typical of a cap used for a brake fluid reservoir. Although the part number may be specific to the C8 the same design may be used in several other applications. GM many times has different part numbers for parts of the same design.
The same cap design has been used throught the GM line up. The M/C cap on my 2018 Silverado is identical to the C8's. Same exact specs, same tabs, same groove...different part number, that's all.
Old 03-08-2021, 11:42 AM
C8J
Le Mans Master

FYI, I just started another thread for my Lift Failure Notification.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...stem-argh.html
Old 03-09-2021, 04:57 PM
MAD Matt
Drifting

I have the video footage everyone should and needs to see. It will be posted tomorrow once I get it all edited together. I'm a car guys not a videographer so it's taking a bit more time to make it presentable after downloading it from my GoPro. Stay tuned....
The following 2 users liked this post by MAD Matt:
bluan (03-09-2021), Tin-can (03-09-2021)
Old 03-09-2021, 05:07 PM
Periokid
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Old 03-09-2021, 05:56 PM
R & K C8
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 58 Posts

I have the video footage everyone should and needs to see. It will be posted tomorrow once I get it all edited together. I'm a car guys not a videographer so it's taking a bit more time to make it presentable after downloading it from my GoPro. Stay tuned....
@MAD Matt - Thanks in advance for your efforts and looking forward to seeing your Front Lift evaluation results. -Rick
Old 03-09-2021, 06:03 PM
BryanKlingele
Racer

Received 235 Likes on 121 Posts
Modified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist

Originally Posted by Alohabob
Got my new blue cap last week and used the front lift about a dozen times since then. Just inspected the area and no new fluid leaks. Seems to be working.

Do you have the part number for the new cap? If you do can you post it please since I'm sure I will not be the only one ordering while Chevrolet figures out a real solution.

Thank you for the help!

Bryan
Old 03-09-2021, 06:09 PM
Alohabob
8th Gear

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

The part number for the new cap is 85165040. That is the new number. It superseded the old cap number.
The following users liked this post:
Tin-can (03-09-2021)
Old 03-09-2021, 07:42 PM
NextOne
Melting Slicks

Received 1,046 Likes on 645 Posts

For those not following the other thread, go over there and read what happened to me today when I asked for the new blue cap.

Link to the other lift thread...
Old 03-09-2021, 08:08 PM
bluan
Pro

Received 590 Likes on 205 Posts

Thanks Matt for taping this! I guess that since the video recordings are done now, and you are not screaming of a a busted fluid tank , the blue cap has passed all the stress test with flying colors. Looking forward to your video tomorrow!
Old 03-09-2021, 08:24 PM
MAD Matt
Drifting

Originally Posted by bluan
Thanks Matt for taping this! I guess that since the video recordings are done now, and you are not screaming of a a busted fluid tank , the blue cap has passed all the stress test with flying colors. Looking forward to your video tomorrow!
NEW POST STARTED w/Video...."Front Lift, all the details"

Last edited by MAD Matt; 03-09-2021 at 08:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Fix the front lift system leak problem with this final solution