Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tracwrap for Drive from Museum

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2021, 06:18 PM
surypap3
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD
Just use 4" wide painter's tape. It's cheap and you don't have to be careful applying it. It's way thicker than eXpel. I used it when I picked up my Grand Sport at NCM and drove 800 miles with it on. Just tape from side-to-side progressing from back to front (overlapping edges) to insure tape survivability.
This is really interesting. Many have embraced the use of Trackwrap and I think I have heard it does take some time (not huge) to get it on right. Has anyone else used Blue painter's tape to get her home? I like easy!
Old 02-16-2021, 06:33 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,107 Likes on 6,185 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD
Just use 4" wide painter's tape. It's cheap and you don't have to be careful applying it. It's way thicker than eXpel. I used it when I picked up my Grand Sport at NCM and drove 800 miles with it on. Just tape from side-to-side progressing from back to front (overlapping edges) to insure tape survivability.
You must be mixing up your dimensions. Xpel Tracwrap is 8 mils thick. 8 mils is 0.2032 mm. 3M Blue painters tape is 0.14 mm. So, Xpel is 1.45 times thicker than painters tape. Mils and mm are not the same.
Old 02-16-2021, 06:59 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
You must be mixing up your dimensions. Xpel Tracwrap is 8 mils thick. 8 mils is 0.2032 mm. 3M Blue painters tape is 0.14 mm. So, Xpel is 1.45 times thicker than painters tape. Mils and mm are not the same.
I am aware of the dimensions. I had put multiple layers of tape on. Painters tape is 6mil thick.

Last edited by MMD; 02-16-2021 at 07:00 PM.
Old 02-16-2021, 07:19 PM
Dave64
Drifting

Received 520 Likes on 192 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2023 C2 of the Year Winner - Modified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)
St. Jude Donor '19-'20-'21

I used Trackwrap for my trip home to Phoenix, from the Museum in January - half of the hood and the mirrors. It held great, even through the snow storm in Texas. Had only a few spots of adhesive to clean after getting home. I was please with the application, performance and removal of the tape.
Old 02-16-2021, 07:40 PM
ladder13
Melting Slicks

Received 798 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by mikul
Auto Armor in Bowling Green does excellent work, but their applying XPEL’s TracWrap is a $900 expense. You can do it yourself by purchasing TracWrap from amazon.com, but that’s also costly. Also available from amazon is Track Armour, which is a less expensive product, comes in various widths and lengths, and does a great job.

$900 for a Trakwrap?

I can ship my car from the museum back home for a little bit more and save the close to 500 miles.
Old 02-16-2021, 07:47 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MMD
I am aware of the dimensions. I had put multiple layers of tape on. Painters tape is 6mil thick.
Well, you didn't mention that originally, did you? False claim saying the tape is "way thicker than Xpel" when you admit the tape is, in fact, thinner.
Old 02-16-2021, 08:29 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Well, you didn't mention that originally, did you? False claim saying the tape is "way thicker than Xpel" when you admit the tape is, in fact, thinner.
Not a false claim. Two layers of painters tape is a lot cheaper than PPF and thicker. 2 layers of painter's tape is what I and many others have used to offer paint protection on long trips. I had checked out all the products on the market available at the time in preparation for my journey to NCM, I found that painter's tape was the least expensive way to prep the car. There were a few other track type tapes available I checked out. There was a product that you can spray out of a can. When you looked at how much it would cost to prep a car for 1 long trip I said these products were too expensive and decided painters tape would offer the most economical approach and would also offer the most protection. I knew about the thickness differences between various track tapes and PPFs, and other products. Painters tape was so easy to apply. Easy installation was necessary as I had planned on installing the tape just prior to leaving BG. I spent about 45 minutes in 32 degree weather doing the install. As there was freezing rain and it was very cold I did want to do anything too elaborate, Shane at the NCM made a suggestion that I could take the car into Nashville for a PPF wrap but it was very cold, raining hard, and it was 1 hour away in the opposite direction I was going. My install held up very well through a lot of very cold rain for 800 miles. Going through the mountains of West Virginia the highway department was even throwing down rock salt and was getting kicked up trucks that passed by me. When I got home is was a cinch to remove the layers of tape I installed. I also had a Novistretch bra on which I purchased from Shane at the NCM and I put a couple of large beach towel between the Novistretch and the car's surface without blocking the radiator. The brand new Grand Sport looked like hell but it sure got the job done. If I were to go back to NCM for another pick up again I wouldn't change a thing. If something works well stick with it.

Last edited by MMD; 02-16-2021 at 08:33 PM.
Old 02-16-2021, 08:53 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

But you didn't say multiple layers are thicker. You stated that painters tape was "way thicker than Expel" with no mention of more than one layer of painters tape. I'm not arguing that it works, just that your claim as you originally stated is false. Just admit it.
Old 02-16-2021, 09:32 PM
Goaty
Pro

Received 199 Likes on 88 Posts

I used Tracwrap for my 250 mile drive home, and would recommend it to anyone who wants to protect the paint of their new car. I applied it to the front bumper, headlights, partial hood and mirrors. Installation took about 45 minutes and I had another person helping me, though we were taking our time. I left it on the car for a few days when I got home and then drove it to my PPF installer who removed it, but I think it should be easy for anyone to remove. If you are in a cold climate you might want to use a heat gun or hair dryer to help get it off.
Old 02-16-2021, 10:07 PM
MMD
Safety Car

But you didn't say multiple layers are thicker. You stated that painters tape was "way thicker than Expel" with no mention of more than one layer of painters tape. I'm not arguing that it works, just that your claim as you originally stated is false. Just admit it.
Admit nothing. It was much thicker than Expel and much cheaper. I never stated "1" layer was thicker. My application of painter's tape was much thicker which it was.

Last edited by MMD; 02-16-2021 at 10:20 PM.
Old 02-17-2021, 12:25 AM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,238 Likes on 3,471 Posts

Just get in and enjoy the drive home... good grief!
The following 2 users liked this post by Avanti:
ea327 (02-17-2021), kenownr (03-19-2021)
Old 02-17-2021, 03:06 PM
finsfanscott
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD
Just use 4" wide painter's tape. It's cheap and you don't have to be careful applying it.
Thanks, if i may ask, one roll or two? How high did you go? I’m assuming not over the headlights

not clear how this would go on if you used the NoviStretch also, or did I misunderstand?

Think I’m on deck for April delivery, so I’ve got some time to plan/order as needed.

Thx!
Old 02-17-2021, 10:03 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by finsfanscott
Thanks, if i may ask, one roll or two? How high did you go? I’m assuming not over the headlights

not clear how this would go on if you used the NoviStretch also, or did I misunderstand?

Think I’m on deck for April delivery, so I’ve got some time to plan/order as needed.

Thx!
I can't recall if I had used was 1 or 2 rolls. It's not to expensive so get 2 of the 4" wide 3M tape at local Home Depot. I first applied the tape side to side ending tape at hood seams. Start down low as you can go on the bumper and ptoceed side to side progressing from front to back.overlaping each strip about an 1 inch is OK. I cover the hood about 3/4 the way up the hood.. After this is done I rolled edges with a small package tape rolling tool. You can get this at your local Office Supple store if you don't have one. A small one with a 1-2 inch wide roller. You're trying to remove any air pockets especially on all the leading edges of the seams. Then I applied an extra layer on the front fenders proceeding from front to back . Once again be mindful not to tape hood seams. Once everything is rolled then I applied my Novistretch over the front hood. I did this to my C7 so a C8 may be slightly different, They do sell Novistretch bras for C8s. However, before I had put the Novistretch bra on I used a couple a large white beach towels and laid them out on the front of the car hood and fenders so they would cover most of the areas the Nocpvistretch would cover. Essentially the bra once installed would hold in place the towels close to the vehicle. Do not block your headlights - duh. I was very pleased how this worked out for me. All my tape was secure and I had the added protection of the large towels and the Novistretch secured the towels down. It took about 45 minutes to do this in 30 degree weather. Hopefully you will have better weather than I.
Old 02-17-2021, 10:12 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,995 Likes on 1,150 Posts

Originally Posted by surypap3
I noticed one member's reply included use of a novistretch bra. I assume to protect the radiators. That attaches with snaps. Do you use another way to attach (EG velcro) to avoid screwing snaps into the car? Anyone else have a plan used for radiator protection on the drive home?

you can search...my posts ....I bought black burlap at Joanns and just duct taped it over the radiator vents.... I was 800 miles too late until I did the grills but that’s what I would do.

tracwrap.....I’ve used it for years at the track. A few hours to apply it and easy off. You can practice on another car at home....I’d bet in 30 minutes you could apply it in the museum parking lot.

Don’t worry about looks....ypurjust trying to get home.

What I recently did was get eco shield applied to the windshield to prevent chips in the glass. That would be my #1 mid before anything else. This Xpel for the windshield..

My next car will not leave the dealer wo the windshield protected. I got one chip in the c8 on the drove home.

Last edited by Greg00Coupe; 02-17-2021 at 10:15 PM.
Old 02-17-2021, 10:48 PM
finsfanscott
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the detailed reply. I just got a Feb allocation, so I'm guessing April/May delivery, should be nicer weather!

Thanks again,
Old 02-17-2021, 10:51 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Many people on the forum have used painters tape over the years. Here are but a few.

Last edited by MMD; 02-18-2021 at 01:29 PM.
Old 02-18-2021, 06:56 AM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,995 Likes on 1,150 Posts

Painters tape works too....a lot more work tho....but a cheaper option. Get good tape not the harbour freight stuff....been there. I use to use Saran Wrap on trips....... when I went to distant car shows.....simple temp option.

Get notified of new replies

To Tracwrap for Drive from Museum

Old 02-18-2021, 07:52 AM
LilNutSac
Melting Slicks

Received 519 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD
Many people on the forum have used painters tape over the years. Are are a few.

WHEW!! Good! Wouldn't want these cars to look stupid or like ****. WOW!
The following users liked this post:
ea327 (03-20-2021)
Old 02-18-2021, 07:11 PM
wfoZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 209 Posts

In my motocross dirt bike days, we would take our new Troy Lee designed helmets and smack it on the ground before putting it on. It frees your mind.
Old 03-19-2021, 08:34 AM
ea327
Drifting

Received 703 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by mikul
Auto Armor in Bowling Green does excellent work, but their applying XPEL’s TracWrap is a $900 expense. You can do it yourself by purchasing TracWrap from amazon.com, but that’s also costly. Also available from amazon is Track Armour, which is a less expensive product, comes in various widths and lengths, and does a great job.
I was quoted $500 for TracWrap from Auto Armor, which still sounded ridiculous.

Quick Reply: Tracwrap for Drive from Museum