Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 shutdown cause has US Senators demanding action

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2021, 08:35 PM
Majestic94
Safety Car

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD
Does this look like a 65 Mustang?

Are you aware it’s controlled mostly by software? And there’s no carbs or distributer. Even the door handles are electronic. I see you’ve optioned for the 2LT so you have a digital camera for a mirror, heads up display, navigation, Carplay, wireless charging, blind side warning sensors, backup sensors, a data recorder, etc. Interesting choice for technophobes. :

Old 02-03-2021, 08:39 PM
Majestic94
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MMD
What do you think a new C8 Navigation system will cost you versus a water pump from back in the day? You talking minor repairs. Apparently you were never a big believer in routine maintenance. You really think more complex engineered systems are less expensive to maintain? Counter-intuitive is it not? GenC2 never had the plant shut down because GM had a shortage of water pump impellers made on Taiwan.
How does routine maintenance prevent an alternator or door speaker from failing?
That was just bad engineering and poor material and manufacturing quality. There’s only so much you can do with an oil change and tune up. Go back and look at how much it really took to keep your heap on the road. You replaced stuff as it broke, There was plenty of parts available and they all sucked.
The following users liked this post:
HKH (02-04-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 08:39 PM
Losbot
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 430 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by the lark
Imagine how long these new electric cars will last. Hardly any moving parts to wear out.
Which will unfortunately cost more in the end to mine the materials for the batteries, which then end up in landfills. So much for "green".
They don't sound so environmentally friendly to me. We could use biofuels which can produce zero emissions and we could still enjoy driving coast to coast without having to stop so frequently and for so long during each stop.
Electric is a crap until you can create something a power source like the arc reactor in Iron Man. It's hilarious that California is pushing so hard for EV cars when they can't keep the lights on at times and they can't keep the power on sometimes.
MMD (02-03-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 08:41 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by Majestic94
Are you aware it’s controlled mostly by software? And there’s no carbs or distributer. Even the door handles are electronic. I see you’ve optioned for the 2LT so you have a digital camera for a mirror, heads up display, navigation, Carplay, wireless charging, blind side warning sensors, backup sensors, a data recorder, etc. Interesting choice for technophobes. :
Does GM offer an option to not include these items?
Old 02-03-2021, 08:44 PM
Majestic94
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MMD
Not what I meant. Vehicles track everywhere you go. Tech today exists to do this sort of thing and store this data in massive data farms that can be used for future use. What if someone was tracking your vehicle and matched up your whereabouts with criminal activity in a certain area and a match is made with you being very close to a crime scene at a particular time. Would this make you feel uncomfortable if police authorities identified you as a suspect because of the info they possessed about your whereabouts? If you have a cell phone they are doing this now. They also track every purchase you make, every phone call or email or text you ever made. Today we live in a total surveillance state. These are just some of the tools law enforcement has at their disposal.
It’s been awhile since I did any crime with my car, so I think my alibi is solid, but they should be really worried about my search history.
You seem pretty paranoid for somebody who is using that same technology to post this. You sure you wouldn’t rather be reading this in the paper?
HKH (02-04-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 08:47 PM
Majestic94
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MMD
Those are your words. I have better things to do than troll.
You haven’t explained why you hate technology yet want a 2LT C8. That makes you suspect:
HKH (02-04-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 08:49 PM
MMD
Safety Car

How does routine maintenance prevent an alternator or door speaker from failing?
That was just bad engineering and poor material and manufacturing quality. There’s only so much you can do with an oil change and tune up. Go back and look at how much it really took to keep your heap on the road. You replaced stuff as it broke, There was plenty of parts available and they all sucked.
Maybe you can then tell me how my 19 GS differential went out at 6K miles. While your at it maybe you can tell C7 wide body owners why their excellent wheels and A8 transmission are breaking in large numbers. Let's not forget the 15-17 Z06 over heating too. You seem to have all the answers. Did our C7 brethren not order the complex engineering RPO you are so enthralled with? Was that their problem?
Old 02-03-2021, 08:51 PM
Majestic94
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MMD
You could get a 1LT that dumps half those items, but the engine and transmission software is still proprietary, and it’s still going to be direct injected with active cylinder management bolted to a dual clutch transmission controlled solely by electronics.

Old 02-03-2021, 08:56 PM
Majestic94
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MMD
Maybe you can then tell me how my 19 GS differential went out at 6K miles. While your at it maybe you can tell C7 wide body owners why their excellent wheels and A8 transmission are breaking in large numbers. Let's not forget the 15-17 Z06 over heating too. You seem to have all the answers. Did our C7 brethren not order the complex engineering RPO you are so enthralled with? Was that their problem?
You must have a short memory; Tell us how well crossfire injection or the electronic overdrive transmissions on the C4’s worked out?
Even the 1953 Corvette had problems with the license plate lens fogging up that they added desiccant bags in 1954.Do you really think quality and engineering was rock solid just until the C7?

Last edited by Majestic94; 02-03-2021 at 08:56 PM.
Old 02-03-2021, 08:57 PM
MMD
Safety Car

It’s been awhile since I did any crime with my car, so I think my alibi is solid, but they should be really worried about my search history.
You seem pretty paranoid for somebody who is using that same technology to post this. You sure you wouldn’t rather be reading this in the paper?
You sure enjoy arguing.You don't think your vehicle/phone privacy data is not being recorded and stored? Companies are actually paying to obtain this data. Pick up most any Business or Computer magazine. You ever read the fine print when you agree to open a Goggle, Facebook, Instagram, Yahoo, etc. account? You don't think GM is not selling your personal data to marketing companies?
Old 02-03-2021, 09:02 PM
Majestic94
Safety Car

Originally Posted by C8J
Really. This is how BS fake news starts. You can only speak for yourself, not me. Head bolt snapped at ?40K, Alternator, window motors, and a few others I can't remember between 80-85.K, new transmission at 115K, head finally let go 130K, engine went at 160K,... glad you were lucky. Btw, Grand Caravan. Spent $10K the last year before I gave up and traded it in for $1,500 toward a GMC Sierra. Haven't looked at a Chrysler POS since.

Yes all maintenance was done. Oil every 3K, tx every 30K, ....Chrysler designed to fail at mileage points no matter how much PM you perform. Total POS.
it’s the model not the brand. Grand Caravan’s are low margin with few competition: They get the “B” team engineers and suppliers. GMC Sierra is a high margin truck in steep competition with Ram and Ford. GM already gave up the Astrovan. Do you think it would fare better?
Old 02-03-2021, 09:04 PM
jcp911s
Melting Slicks

Received 1,583 Likes on 795 Posts

Seriously.... NCRS member... I have a C3, and my brother has a C2, we attended the NCRS National in GodforsakenNoviMichiganfurcrissakes.... and the keynote was a 2 hour presentation on assembly of Corvettes in the St Louis plant.... the presentation was impeccably prepared, expertly presented, and absolutely chilling....

They just slapped these things together... QC... non-existent... guys grinding fiberglass with belt-sanders... spraying nitro-cellulose without masks.... this is how it was done "In the Good Old Days"...

We've both taken these cars apart and put them together and they are engineered like AMT models... clever... effective... and crude as a pile of dirt...

I love my old cars, but the engineering, design and attention to detail on new cars is in a different stratosphere....

sdurg24 (02-04-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 09:08 PM
Majestic94
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MMD
You sure enjoy arguing.You don't think your vehicle/phone privacy data is not being recorded and stored? Companies are actually paying to obtain this data. Pick up most any Business or Computer magazine. You ever read the fine print when you agree to open a Goggle, Facebook, Instagram, Yahoo, etc. account? You don't think GM is not selling your personal data to marketing companies?
Who’s arguing? You’re using technology that exposed your privacy more than I am, unless you’re using a VPN on a shared computer with a fake username and change your password every hour:
Shifting this conversation back to cars..:no, me going to Walgreens with the top down doesn’t tell the Chinese any juicier info than they already have from my website history folder where the real entertainment lives. Wait till they see those crazy cupcake recipes I’ve been researching.
Old 02-03-2021, 09:40 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Who’s arguing? You’re using technology that exposed your privacy more than I am, unless you’re using a VPN on a shared computer with a fake username and change your password every hour:
Shifting this conversation back to cars..:no, me going to Walgreens with the top down doesn’t tell the Chinese any juicier info than they already have from my website history folder where the real entertainment lives. Wait till they see those crazy cupcake recipes I’ve been researching.
Here. Watch these videos and be better informed. Maybe you won't be so close-minded.
Old 02-03-2021, 09:50 PM
kdepew
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD
I disagree. Personally I think the vehicle could still be a great vehicle without all the tech. Tech creates it's own set of unique problems.
I would LOVE it if we went back to simpler cars without so much technology. A world of lighter and simpler cars would be wonderful in my opinion, even if it lowered overall performance. I don't expect all of this technology is going to make cars as reliable. I think it will cost a fortune to keep a car operating for 20 or 30 years with all of this technology.

However, it will never happen. It will only get worse (or better depending on your view). The trend is clearly more microprocessors. Cars will be electric vehicles with tons of processing power and the car will eventually drive for you. I won't like it, but I'm sure many will.
MMD (02-03-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 09:55 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by kdepew
I would LOVE it if we went back to simpler cars without so much technology. A world of lighter and simpler cars would be wonderful in my opinion, even if it lowered overall performance. I don't expect all of this technology is going to make cars as reliable. I think it will cost a fortune to keep a car operating for 20 or 30 years with all of this technology.

However, it will never happen. It will only get worse (or better depending on your view). The trend is clearly more microprocessors. Cars will be electric vehicles with tons of processing power and the car will eventually drive for you. I won't like it, but I'm sure many will.
Couldn't agree more with you. We can all look forward to the day when future Corvettes are all electric and are driven autonomously. We'll leave that as a topic of discussion for another thread.
Old 02-03-2021, 10:03 PM
MYROAD
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 44 Posts
Default 1lt.

Originally Posted by MMD
The option is called 1LT. Also you have Z51 and probably mag ride. More tech.

Get notified of new replies

To C8 shutdown cause has US Senators demanding action

Old 02-03-2021, 10:05 PM
MYROAD
Instructor

Default E-Ray

Originally Posted by MMD
Couldn't agree more with you. We can all look forward to the day when future Corvettes are all electric and are driven autonomously. We'll leave that as a topic of discussion for another thread.
I'm on the Criswell list for an E-Ray. Not interested in all electric but a performance hybrid (like F1 cars) with AWD is what I want the most.

Last edited by MYROAD; 02-03-2021 at 10:36 PM.
Old 02-03-2021, 10:24 PM
MYROAD
Instructor

Default Li-ion

Originally Posted by Losbot
Which will unfortunately cost more in the end to mine the materials for the batteries, which then end up in landfills. So much for "green".
They don't sound so environmentally friendly to me. We could use biofuels which can produce zero emissions and we could still enjoy driving coast to coast without having to stop so frequently and for so long during each stop.
Electric is a crap until you can create something a power source like the arc reactor in Iron Man. It's hilarious that California is pushing so hard for EV cars when they can't keep the lights on at times and they can't keep the power on sometimes.
Volkswagon is among many companies around the world that are beginning to recycle lithium ion car batteries, starting with an expandable 1,500 metric ton per year plant. Other companies are also ramping up to eventually recycle millions of tons of car batteries per year. 98% of these batteries can be recycled, much of the material to be used in new Li-Ion car batteries.

Last edited by MYROAD; 02-03-2021 at 10:32 PM.
Old 02-03-2021, 10:27 PM
MYROAD
Instructor

Technophobes/Luddites who don't like modern car technology should consider an MX-5 Miata rather than a C8. Very low tech and lots of fun to drive and track.

Last edited by MYROAD; 02-03-2021 at 10:31 PM.