Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM: C8 vs. C7 Buyer: Much wealthier, younger, new to GM

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2021, 01:25 AM
Austinc8
Intermediate

Received 49 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JABCAT
I’m sure you think it is You don’t/haven’t followed Corvettes but claim to represent the thoughts & opinions of entire demographic on said topic. Both of the above point to your distorted views on the real world. I could insert your aforementioned generational stereotype, as you’ve demonstrated it precisely.

Regarding your second comment above, you know nothing about me. Enjoy your “pretty expansive network”
Getting a good read by your comment, friend. I stated I don’t represent everyone, but apparently you’re challenged at reading. You’re the 60 year old guy that thinks 20 year olds look at you and think you’re cool. No problem by me. Enjoy amigo
Old 01-19-2021, 01:45 AM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,218 Likes on 829 Posts

Originally Posted by CRABBYJ
Bought my first Corvette when 21, and new too in 12/1964, a ‘65 C2 Vert. Now I’m only on my 4th Corvette, a ‘20 C8 Coupe but they’ve all been new, with a ‘05 C6 and ‘14 C7 in between. As you can see the last three were Corvette model changes. GM has done a great job making the Corvette an affordable sports car with great performance for the price. Generally my ‘65 C2 had a base MSRP 98% higher than a base ‘65 Impala. It’s not much different today, at about 90% higher. Most guys I knew back then bought Camaros, etc. I hope to have one more Corvette before I’m done, looking forward to a ‘23 C8 HTC, GS? at 80. Meanwhile, enjoying the crap out of my ‘20 C8.

Me at 21 and my new ‘65 C2

Me, last year at delivery of my ‘20 C8 then 76

Awesome brother...I hope you make and exceed all your goals...I will say though if I may...You looked a lot more relaxed in 1965...
The following users liked this post:
CRABBYJ (01-19-2021)
Old 01-19-2021, 04:53 AM
PerKr
Racer

Received 138 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Austinc8
speaking from that age group, nobody I know wants a C5 or C6 nor did we when they first came out. Of course there are exceptions to the rule, but the vast majority of people I’ve met have thought that way. You don’t have to agree, I’m just telling you what it is.
the vast majority of people couldn't care less about a corvette. Or any other sportscar other than as a way of displaying how well off you are. That's why people buy pickups, Toyotas, all chevrolets and fords besides the Corvette, GT and Mustang. They just don't care. Because to them, a car is a means of transportation from point A to point B. They care more about matching their socks to their shirts than about having a fun car. They would rather have an SUV than the C8 and then the most important aspect is the badge. Most people you know will look at an ad with a C8 and spot the shoes on the guy with the gold chains before they even realize there is a car in the picture.

Plenty of 20-30-year-olds wanted a C2, C3, C4, C5, C6, C7 when they were the current generation. Plenty of people are still wowed by them to this day. Few of them could afford to get one when they were new. Fewer still could afford to keep one as they started families. Some of them eventually bought one as the kids left the nest. The C8 is hot now. When the C9 is out, it will see the same fate as previous generations, maybe to a greater extent due to the hype and the aged styling. Once the C9 prototypes start rolling, you will see a huge drop in C8 sales. That's just how it is.
ArmchairArchitect (01-19-2021)
Old 01-19-2021, 07:11 AM
/Bear/
Drifting

Received 1,530 Likes on 757 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist

Originally Posted by /Bear/
Dave, what can you tell us about the car you're driving in that video?

Originally Posted by AzDave47
Thanks for asking, sorry for the delay in responding.

The build info on the engine is here: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...sd-intake.html

Basically a full HCI engine with supporting mods on my 09 Z06. Later in 2018 I got the bottom end forged for reliability but power was still in the 595/515 rwhp/tq. The suspension mods are only Bilstein Sport shocks installed at about 13K miles, had about 54K miles when I did the 200+ MPH runs. Tires on the rear were R888R in 325/30-19 size and no warmup allowed on the airport property. It is obvious from the video that there were traction problems in 1st gear but it hooked fine after that. DA that day was about 4600' and there was a fairly good quartering tail wind. The engine does have some surge but is not unreasonable for a N/A build at that power level. Brakes are 2-piece which are lighter than stock and I had the passenger seat out so I'd be able to use the right outside mirror on the 400 mile trip out to Mojave. Drove out on my street OEM sized PSS, did a 198 MPH pass with them and then put the R888Rs on the back for a 199 MPH run and two at 201.2 MPH. Unfortunately that was the last Mojave Magnum run as the the FAA, that provides good funding to the airport, objected to having the runway closed for non aircraft purposes.
Thanks, Dave. No problem on the delay. Since we don't get notified when someone quotes our posts, I was going to PM you this morning if you hadn't responded, to make sure you'd at least seen my question and link to the racing story.

I followed your link and read through the entire 8 pages, including watching the videos. Good stuff, and it's the first time I've been to any of the forums besides C8! Then I came back and watched your video here again of you breaking 200 mph. Looks like fun, but I know a lot of work went into it! Makes me want to do what you did (move from NH to AZ).

Old 01-19-2021, 09:35 AM
skywaterbanjo
Instructor

Received 142 Likes on 36 Posts

67 here and expecting my 1st Corvette end of February. I've been driving 911s since 2000. I was going to trade the 911 4s cab in for another Porsche until I went to Barrett-Jackson last January and saw the C8 in person. Changed my mind. My friends/family were shocked when I told them "I'm going to try the C8 to see if I like it." Still the case. I figure if I don't and want to get back to the 911, it will be pretty easy to sell the C8. But, I have a feeling I'm really going to like it. My first car was a '69 Mach I. The C8 seems like the perfect reentry.

Last edited by skywaterbanjo; 01-19-2021 at 09:36 AM.
Old 01-19-2021, 09:48 AM
foo.c
Pro

Received 412 Likes on 187 Posts

The article is misleading. High income doesn't necessarily mean wealthy.

Older people tend to have large assets but relatively little income because they are retired. Younger people typically have income, but less accumulated assets.
The following 2 users liked this post by foo.c:
Boiler_81 (01-19-2021), bucker2 (01-19-2021)
Old 01-19-2021, 10:15 AM
Road machine
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by PerKr
the vast majority of people couldn't care less about a corvette. Or any other sportscar other than as a way of displaying how well off you are. That's why people buy pickups, Toyotas, all chevrolets and fords besides the Corvette, GT and Mustang. They just don't care. Because to them, a car is a means of transportation from point A to point B. They care more about matching their socks to their shirts than about having a fun car. They would rather have an SUV than the C8 and then the most important aspect is the badge. Most people you know will look at an ad with a C8 and spot the shoes on the guy with the gold chains before they even realize there is a car in the picture.

Plenty of 20-30-year-olds wanted a C2, C3, C4, C5, C6, C7 when they were the current generation. Plenty of people are still wowed by them to this day. Few of them could afford to get one when they were new. Fewer still could afford to keep one as they started families. Some of them eventually bought one as the kids left the nest. The C8 is hot now. When the C9 is out, it will see the same fate as previous generations, maybe to a greater extent due to the hype and the aged styling. Once the C9 prototypes start rolling, you will see a huge drop in C8 sales. That's just how it is.
This is exactly correct. Few young people just starting their working careers can afford a new Corvette. Once they get a bit more established they are usually starting families, and a two seat car is just not a great car for a starting family. Once the kids are gone and one finds himself with some disposable income the dream can be bought. Of course there are the odd young people who can afford to have multiple cars or choose not to have a family but that is a small percentage of the general population. As long as Corvette is a two seater it will be an older person car just like any other two seater.
ArmchairArchitect (01-19-2021)
Old 01-19-2021, 11:02 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by Vet Interested
Wear a clean dress to your next car show and be happy.
A clean tux might suffice.
Old 01-19-2021, 12:17 PM
direct007
Melting Slicks

Received 2,009 Likes on 1,026 Posts

When I was 20, I purchased my first new sports car...a 1984 Pontiac Trans Am for right around $15k. I was hooked. 5 years later at 25, my first new Vette. A 1989 Vert. List price for a well equipped vert was around $40k and they were selling for $10k off list at the end of the model year. So $30k for a brand new Vette Convertible. I think minimum wage back then was around $4 and $5/hour. So fast forward 32 years later, the well equipped Vette Convertible is 3x the cost at $90k and minimum wage is creeping up to between $12 and $15/hour. In another 30 years, If I'm still alive, I may be slobbering and wetting my depends, and well equipped Vettes will be selling for $270k. By then a Vette may be flying around like the Jetsons. Should be interesting.
Old 01-19-2021, 02:55 PM
Gamoto
Pro

Received 245 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer86
Hopefully the jolts and 10 year old tee shirts crowd will fade away and the new buyers will dress better when at cars and coffee car shows.
You're spot on! When I got my 2015 Z51 I went to a few Corvette Club events and that turned me off as well. BTW you for got to mention the Jean Shorts combo with the high white socks and New Balance Tennis Shoes.

Quick Reply: GM: C8 vs. C7 Buyer: Much wealthier, younger, new to GM