Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which STATE has the BEST roads for me to enjoy driving my C8?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2021, 10:02 PM
montanaman
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Have not seen one mention of Montana here. If you want wide open roads with twisties up the *** and high speed limits nothing beat's Montana. Especially the west side of the state up to the Canadian border an Glacier Park. Very few people and very few cops. You would need to be going 90 plus there to get a ticket once you are out of any town. I've ridden and driven thousands of miles there in the last 10 years at high speeds and never got a ticket. And anything under 10 miles over is a 25 dollar road side fine to the peace officer.

Florida?? The only turns there are at the fast food drive thru. You couldn't give me a house there.
Old 01-25-2021, 07:33 AM
ltomn
Pro

Received 240 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaka
There are some really great on and off ramps in SE Florida. Leave early in the morning on Sundays and cruise highway speeds 'till you approach the ramps after pacing yourself to avoid any traffic and practice hitting your apexes.You can relieve your anxieties in < 1.5 hours. Palm Beach Raceway is nice and flowing but too slow for a Vette. Sebring, Homestead are lousy. No nice drives any where in Florida. NC has nice well kept roads if you don't like going fast.
Shaka, I am now living in Florida and share your opinion of the road here. Moving from Montana to Florida served one important purpose: no winter! However, driving my C8 around here is an exercise in wasting fuel compared to driving almost anywhere out west. The scenic nature of the west and the lack of development makes for wonderful driving. Of course there are examples of exciting driving all over our great country but, to coin a phrase, the West is best!

Daytona is this weekend and Skank is coming to town and we are going to be there. Will.you? Send me a PM.
Old 01-25-2021, 09:03 AM
bodak1
Instructor

Received 116 Likes on 39 Posts

Western North Carolina hands down.
The following 2 users liked this post by bodak1:
Warp Ten (02-02-2021), wthensler (01-25-2021)
Old 01-25-2021, 09:08 AM
bodak1
Instructor

Received 116 Likes on 39 Posts

Old 01-25-2021, 11:47 AM
EasyLivin
Race Director

Received 3,160 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Old 01-25-2021, 01:43 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by ltomn
Shaka, I am now living in Florida and share your opinion of the road here. Moving from Montana to Florida served one important purpose: no winter! However, driving my C8 around here is an exercise in wasting fuel compared to driving almost anywhere out west. The scenic nature of the west and the lack of development makes for wonderful driving. Of course there are examples of exciting driving all over our great country but, to coin a phrase, the West is best!

Daytona is this weekend and Skank is coming to town and we are going to be there. Will you? Send me a PM.
No, but it would be nice to meet you guys. Skank is a good guy. I've blasted all over NC in this car. The roads are perfect for it. Skank will get a kick out of my FLW type house.

Old 01-25-2021, 02:19 PM
bartruff1
Racer

Received 269 Likes on 121 Posts

Having spent 35 years as a Transportation Systems Engineer and about the same amount of time as a motorcycle and 911 driver.....it is just my opinion.... that road grade and alignment (curves both horizontal and vertical ) are the most fun to drive and those are determined by cost and topography....... soooo.......secondary mountain roads are my preference....blue roads with lite traffic and operating speeds below 75mph.......

Coastal roads used to be great about 40 years ago but now they are just a slow moving traffic jam......

Last edited by bartruff1; 01-25-2021 at 02:21 PM.
Old 01-25-2021, 06:03 PM
wthensler
Racer

Received 430 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by bodak1

I’ll second this, with additional proviso for eastern TN, southwest VA, eastern and southern WV, and northern GA. Some really fantastic Appalachian roads await.
Old 01-25-2021, 08:25 PM
Ken Chevy
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Blade2382
Yeah I am from SE PA and I have driven all over PA and all roads suck. Either you get stuck behind some idiot for hours on end because of lack of passing zones or you are stuck on the interstate.
PA potholes. There are some nice twisty roads, hills and trees, but until the potholes are filled or the roads are re-paved you’re taking a bit of a risk with your wheels.
Old 01-26-2021, 06:31 AM
wthensler
Racer

Received 430 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken Chevy
PA potholes. There are some nice twisty roads, hills and trees, but until the potholes are filled or the roads are re-paved you’re taking a bit of a risk with your wheels.
A shame. I lived in western Delaware Co. for years and had a 911 which ate up the roads there and in Chester Co. Rt. 100, 926, 826 come to mind, wife and I spend countless hours enjoying the beautiful countryside. We loved PA.

Potholes would be a major spoiler. Roads were actually in good shape back then.
Old 01-26-2021, 06:50 AM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,942 Likes on 2,428 Posts

Originally Posted by Garret
Wisconsin has great roads.
Well you live right next to all the best ones. Love that area but it's a bit of drive for me. I do it 2-3 times a year. I'm in the middle of the kettle moraine so there are some nice ones around here. You just have to know which ones to avoid. And the farmers can drag some serious mud onto the roads.
Old 01-26-2021, 07:21 AM
kitesurfer
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by montanaman
Have not seen one mention of Montana here. If you want wide open roads with twisties up the *** and high speed limits nothing beat's Montana. Especially the west side of the state up to the Canadian border an Glacier Park. Very few people and very few cops. You would need to be going 90 plus there to get a ticket once you are out of any town. I've ridden and driven thousands of miles there in the last 10 years at high speeds and never got a ticket. And anything under 10 miles over is a 25 dollar road side fine to the peace officer.

Florida?? The only turns there are at the fast food drive thru. You couldn't give me a house there.
i trailered my bike to Montana. it was a good trip, and i wished i was in my vette. But Montana was not good enough for me to go back. my bet is that you have never been to
Florida. Please don't come, because all to many visit here and stay. Way too many of us already, riding around in january with our tops down.

Last edited by kitesurfer; 01-26-2021 at 07:22 AM. Reason: spell
Old 01-26-2021, 07:37 AM
Richard G.
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

The roads are not pool table smooth where I live in North Central West Virginia.
Watch out for animals, potholes, dirt and gravel on the edge of the road, blind curves, slow farm equipment, UTV's and people that do not drive in their lane.
Come on down for a thrill of a lifetime My driving experience of 57 years on these wild and wonderful West Virginia roads. 17 years in a Corvette.
The following users liked this post:
wthensler (01-26-2021)
Old 01-26-2021, 07:50 AM
ltomn
Pro

Received 240 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaka
No, but it would be nice to meet you guys. Skank is a good guy. I've blasted all over NC in this car. The roads are perfect for it. Skank will get a kick out of my FLW type house.
Send me a PM for a phone #. He arrived last evening.
Old 01-26-2021, 07:57 AM
GmdVT
Burning Brakes

Received 681 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard G.
The roads are not pool table smooth where I live in North Central West Virginia.
Watch out for animals, potholes, dirt and gravel on the edge of the road, blind curves, slow farm equipment, UTV's and people that do not drive in their lane.
Come on down for a thrill of a lifetime My driving experience of 57 years on these wild and wonderful West Virginia roads. 17 years in a Corvette.
My parent's use to own property in near Romney, WV right off Jersey Mountain Rd, that and it's connecting roads were truly amazing to drive on especially in fall

Last edited by GmdVT; 01-26-2021 at 07:58 AM.
Old 01-26-2021, 10:05 AM
C8TOY
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts

Always loved Western North Carolina. The Blue Ridge and of course there's those backroads.

Tail of the Dragon - 218 curves in 11 miles.

Florida -11 curves in 218 miles. Sigh!
Old 01-26-2021, 10:49 AM
C8J
Le Mans Master

Received 3,152 Likes on 1,717 Posts

Y'all made the point - It doesn't matter as long as you are in your C8!
Old 01-26-2021, 12:56 PM
bbarber21
Advanced

Received 79 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by wthensler
A shame. I lived in western Delaware Co. for years and had a 911 which ate up the roads there and in Chester Co. Rt. 100, 926, 826 come to mind, wife and I spend countless hours enjoying the beautiful countryside. We loved PA.

Potholes would be a major spoiler. Roads were actually in good shape back then.
Some of the roads have been resurfaced, 100 being a great example of that. Can't WAIT to drive that in my C8 later this year. Some of the others DO need some work, and then there's always the issue of bad/slower drivers in front - just get up early and go for a cruise!
Old 02-02-2021, 10:17 AM
/Bear/
Drifting

Received 1,530 Likes on 757 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist

Originally Posted by montanaman
Have not seen one mention of Montana here. If you want wide open roads with twisties up the *** and high speed limits nothing beat's Montana. Especially the west side of the state up to the Canadian border an Glacier Park. Very few people and very few cops. You would need to be going 90 plus there to get a ticket once you are out of any town. I've ridden and driven thousands of miles there in the last 10 years at high speeds and never got a ticket. And anything under 10 miles over is a 25 dollar road side fine to the peace officer...
Montana sounds great!

I'm assuming the part I bolded is legit state law? It sounds like the roadside extorsion I'd expect in Mexico, but I'd hope that in America the officer wouldn't even bother pulling you over under those circumstances. Would he/she take a personal check?

Originally Posted by bartruff1
Having spent 35 years as a Transportation Systems Engineer and about the same amount of time as a motorcycle and 911 driver.....it is just my opinion.... that road grade and alignment (curves both horizontal and vertical ) are the most fun to drive and those are determined by cost and topography....... soooo.......secondary mountain roads are my preference....blue roads with lite traffic and operating speeds below 75mph.......
I'm not a Transportation Systems Engineer, and my Internet searching wasn't helpful in defining the term you used, "blue roads." I only use digital maps these days, so maybe that's why I'm not familiar with it, but is that the color of secondary roads on a paper map or something?

Quick Reply: Which STATE has the BEST roads for me to enjoy driving my C8?