Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kerbeck Q - Time from 5k deposit to order code

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2020, 04:18 PM
CorvetteJW
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Kerbeck Q - Time from 5k deposit to order code

Been checking continuously Kerbeck's order website - got the call a couple weeks ago for the second 5k deposit and paid right away. Any members know how long until it shows up on their website? Thank you!!!

Popular Reply

12-31-2020, 02:25 PM
direct007
Melting Slicks

Received 2,009 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Originally Posted by C6Tim
Second deposit!? I thought I had seen it all but this is the first time hearing about a dealer asking for a second deposit. If the C8 is still in high demand why in the world would a dealer need an additional deposit? It's not like they are going to have a problem selling the car if someone changes their mind. A total of 6K deposit to order a car? Ridiculous...

I have been ordering cars for a couple decades now from GM, Mercedes, BMW and most recently Range Rover and have never put down a deposit more than 1K and it was always refundable up until the order was built and a VIN assigned. The last BMW I ordered the deposit was refundable right up until it was received at the dealership. There is absolutely no reason for such a large deposit on a high demand vehicle. I could see a large deposit on a vehicle where the buyer builds a crazy clown car with exterior paint and interior color options that a dealer feels will make the car hard to sell to someone else. But other than that it is purely a move to keep the cash flowing in. I just ordered a 160K Tesla Model S "plaid" the fastest 0-60 production car ever built and only put down a 1K deposit that is fully refundable.

Some day we Americans will smarten up and get rid of the middle man so we can buy direct from the manufacturer and avoid all the games and additional costs dealerships cause.
Sadly, your post is based on misinformation. The first deposit is $1000 to get on their list. The second deposit is the difference between the $5000 deposit required to order the car and the $1000 deposit you placed to get on their list. That's $4000. Being the largest Corvette dealer, they get plenty of tire kickers, dreamers and other people that don't have two nickels to rub together that would want to have a corvette.

The deposit separates the men from the boys. They are dealing with people from all over the USA sight unseen, and if they didn't require a substantial deposit, there would be too many people wasting their time that had no skin in the game. And let's face it, if you are spending on average of $75k on up, $5k is nothing. With this said, Kerbeck has a much smaller % of people dropping off their list than other dealers that don't take such deposits.

Your comment regarding they could easily sell such a high demand car if the person that ordered it decides to cancel. Sure, they could also order 1000 cars for their lot and probably sell them with no problem as well, maybe even all of them for $10k over sticker, but would that be fair to the person that sincerely wants the car and intends on following through with their purchase and wants the car spec'd out to there exact liking? Absolutely not. Every person that orders a car and cancels is taking away from a person that really wants the car and will follow through. On a smaller scale, it's like reserving a table at a popular restaurant and not showing up for the reservation. The restaurant could easily seat someone else, but another person that could have reserved it was now denied that table and forced to go elsewhere.

Kerbeck is very clear and transparent regarding their deposit procedure and requirement. It's not like it comes as a surprise to their customers and being that they may already be sold out or very close to selling out the 2021 model year, their system obviously works.
Old 12-30-2020, 04:32 PM
plmmd
Burning Brakes

Received 847 Likes on 365 Posts

Hard question to answer- I was # 288 on 2021 list because Im GPH im still at 3300- I ordered Nov 2019- Others sequentially after me have VIns and 3400 status as all the colors are not being produced at this time
Old 12-30-2020, 04:50 PM
2vette2
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 413 Likes on 189 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

First deposit September 2019 for a 2021.
​Second deposit September 19, 2020.
Car built December 14, 2020.
5000 on December 30, 2020.

Waiting for call from dealer to pick it up.

VIN 5100148
The following 3 users liked this post by 2vette2:
ArmchairArchitect (02-11-2021), JerryU (01-01-2021), milkrun (12-30-2020)
Old 12-30-2020, 04:52 PM
CorvetteJW
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow that is much quicker than anticipated. Congratulations!!! Really pumped for your 2vette2

Think I might have to send a message to see if there is more clarity on getting onto the online order list post that second deposit...though I always hate to bother them!
Old 12-30-2020, 05:17 PM
miteshsp
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by CorvetteJW
Wow that is much quicker than anticipated. Congratulations!!! Really pumped for your 2vette2

Think I might have to send a message to see if there is more clarity on getting onto the online order list post that second deposit...though I always hate to bother them!
When you place 5k deposit, they place an order for you. That means you are at 1100 status. They do not update their tracking page until they match your order number with an allocation (2000 status). All the orders that you see on their tracking page are guaranteed that those cars will be built (assuming no shutdown due to covid).

What number are you on the list? They received about 300 allocations so far, and they also do not adjust the numbers if people drop out before you. For example, if you are #500 and 100 people drop out then your number is still #500 instead of #400.
Old 12-30-2020, 05:23 PM
lostsoul
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 944 Likes on 558 Posts

damn for a 5K deposit I expect them to send someone to help build the thing...
The following users liked this post:
Vet Interested (12-30-2020)
Old 12-30-2020, 05:30 PM
redzone99
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Intial $1000 Deposit 5/2/20
Second deposit of $5000 on 9/25/20
Listed 2000 status on the tracking page 11/20
606 on their waiting list
Old 12-30-2020, 05:39 PM
miteshsp
Advanced

Originally Posted by redzone99
Intial $1000 Deposit 5/2/20
Second deposit of $5000 on 9/25/20
Listed 2000 status on the tracking page 11/20
606 on their waiting list
I thought you just missed the dec allocation cutoff (maybe I am mistaken, but I thought in another thread, you mentioned that you will probably be in the Jan allocation round).
Old 12-30-2020, 05:44 PM
miteshsp
Advanced

Originally Posted by lostsoul
damn for a 5K deposit I expect them to send someone to help build the thing...
I mean it is not too bad. Lot of people have deposits of $1000 at multiple dealership, and they want to know that you are serious about purchasing the car. And putting down 5-6% is reasonable. One can make argument that one can make a return on that $5000... even if you make 10% return on $5000 then you will get $500 in return... if you are buying 70-85k car then it does not make sense to be upset over that $500 potential money you could have made.
robertbruce (12-30-2020)
Old 12-31-2020, 01:37 AM
redzone99
Intermediate

I thought that as well, but when I called Sam on 12/17 to change a few things he stated that I was already at 2000 status and that I needed to submit my changes and sign the order sheet asap because I could not make any more changes after 12/21. I didn't even know I had an order number until I called to make the changes. Now I see my order on their tracking page with the msrp.
Old 12-31-2020, 09:55 AM
miteshsp
Advanced

I thought that as well, but when I called Sam on 12/17 to change a few things he stated that I was already at 2000 status and that I needed to submit my changes and sign the order sheet asap because I could not make any more changes after 12/21. I didn't even know I had an order number until I called to make the changes. Now I see my order on their tracking page with the msrp.
Oh dam, congrats! Hopefully in next 2-3 months, my order gets an allocation too since I am 900s in their list.
Old 12-31-2020, 01:27 PM
C6Tim
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Second deposit!? I thought I had seen it all but this is the first time hearing about a dealer asking for a second deposit. If the C8 is still in high demand why in the world would a dealer need an additional deposit? It's not like they are going to have a problem selling the car if someone changes their mind. A total of 6K deposit to order a car? Ridiculous...

I have been ordering cars for a couple decades now from GM, Mercedes, BMW and most recently Range Rover and have never put down a deposit more than 1K and it was always refundable up until the order was built and a VIN assigned. The last BMW I ordered the deposit was refundable right up until it was received at the dealership. There is absolutely no reason for such a large deposit on a high demand vehicle. I could see a large deposit on a vehicle where the buyer builds a crazy clown car with exterior paint and interior color options that a dealer feels will make the car hard to sell to someone else. But other than that it is purely a move to keep the cash flowing in. I just ordered a 160K Tesla Model S "plaid" the fastest 0-60 production car ever built and only put down a 1K deposit that is fully refundable.

Some day we Americans will smarten up and get rid of the middle man so we can buy direct from the manufacturer and avoid all the games and additional costs dealerships cause.
The following 2 users liked this post by C6Tim:
iflex2fitness (01-22-2021), msm859 (02-06-2021)
Old 12-31-2020, 02:25 PM
direct007
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by C6Tim

Sadly, your post is based on misinformation. The first deposit is $1000 to get on their list. The second deposit is the difference between the $5000 deposit required to order the car and the $1000 deposit you placed to get on their list. That's $4000. Being the largest Corvette dealer, they get plenty of tire kickers, dreamers and other people that don't have two nickels to rub together that would want to have a corvette.

The deposit separates the men from the boys. They are dealing with people from all over the USA sight unseen, and if they didn't require a substantial deposit, there would be too many people wasting their time that had no skin in the game. And let's face it, if you are spending on average of $75k on up, $5k is nothing. With this said, Kerbeck has a much smaller % of people dropping off their list than other dealers that don't take such deposits.

Your comment regarding they could easily sell such a high demand car if the person that ordered it decides to cancel. Sure, they could also order 1000 cars for their lot and probably sell them with no problem as well, maybe even all of them for $10k over sticker, but would that be fair to the person that sincerely wants the car and intends on following through with their purchase and wants the car spec'd out to there exact liking? Absolutely not. Every person that orders a car and cancels is taking away from a person that really wants the car and will follow through. On a smaller scale, it's like reserving a table at a popular restaurant and not showing up for the reservation. The restaurant could easily seat someone else, but another person that could have reserved it was now denied that table and forced to go elsewhere.

Kerbeck is very clear and transparent regarding their deposit procedure and requirement. It's not like it comes as a surprise to their customers and being that they may already be sold out or very close to selling out the 2021 model year, their system obviously works.

Last edited by direct007; 12-31-2020 at 03:35 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by direct007:
2vette2 (12-31-2020), Billzz06 (01-01-2021), bucker2 (12-31-2020), Cobra Kai (12-31-2020), craig1952 (01-01-2021), miteshsp (12-31-2020), RHHalford (02-11-2021) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-31-2020, 03:35 PM
miteshsp
Advanced

Originally Posted by direct007

Your comment regarding they could easily sell such a high demand car if the person that ordered it decides to cancel. Sure, they could also order 1000 cars for their lot and probably sell them with no problem as well, maybe even all of them for $10k over sticker, but would that be fair to the person that sincerely wants the car and intends on following through with their purchase and wants the car spec'd out to there exact liking? Absolutely not. Every person that orders a car and cancels is taking away from a person that really wants the car and will follow through. On a smaller scale, it's like reserving a table at a restaurant and not showing up for the reservation. The restaurant could easily seat someone else, but another person that could have reserved it was now denied that table and forced to go elsewhere.

I agree^

Lot of people usually put $1000 at multiple dealerships since it is fully refundable. Also, since demands is so high for C8 currently, it makes sense that people who are serious about buying the C8 can actually get allocation vs someone who is going to refuse right before delivery. Plus putting down 5k on a 75k car is not a big deal.
The following 2 users liked this post by miteshsp:
2vette2 (12-31-2020), direct007 (12-31-2020)
Old 12-31-2020, 05:52 PM
redzone99
Intermediate

Only thing wrong with your statement is that the 5k was in addition to the the initial 1k for a total of 6K. I paid both.
Old 12-31-2020, 05:57 PM
miteshsp
Advanced

Only thing wrong with your statement is that the 5k was in addition to the the initial 1k for a total of 6K. I paid both.
I think both of you are right... it depends on how much your msrp for the C8 you build comes out to be and then they determine if it is going to be 5k or 6k (in total deposit).
direct007 (12-31-2020)
Old 12-31-2020, 06:06 PM
plmmd
Burning Brakes

Received 847 Likes on 365 Posts

Pay to play- my local dealers wanted 11k more than Kerbeck for an ordered c7 when I bought it in 2018. Ill gladly pay amoni a deposit and MSRP for this car. In 3 years they will have a lot full and you can work on a discount then. Now the local Chev dealer refuses to service my car as does another local dealer when I attempt to replace cracked rims which I have done 6 times. The first attempt took five hours (not the one hour they promised) as they discovered they had to send it out to mount the wheel. Lets not forget my first oil change when I asked when scheduling if they had the dexos and I sat for 4 hours waiting for my car as they had to go to another dealership to get oil, not exactly the in and out service I was promised. I would NEVER go to EAST HILLS chevrolet in Douglass again ever never ever- was that emphatic enough???
kitesurfer (01-04-2021)

Get notified of new replies

To Kerbeck Q - Time from 5k deposit to order code

Old 12-31-2020, 06:22 PM
direct007
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by miteshsp
I think both of you are right... it depends on how much your msrp for the C8 you build comes out to be and then they determine if it is going to be 5k or 6k (in total deposit).
Bingo! Per the terms on Kerbeck's website:

IF YOU CONTINUE ON AND ADD THE AMOUNT TO THE DEPOSIT THAT WOULD TOTAL 5% OF THE THEN TOTAL VEHICLE PRICE AS SHOWN ON THE FACTORY WINDOW STICKER (SOME ORDERS MAY REQUIRE A LARGER DEPOSIT), SIGN THE BUYERS ORDER AND THE DEPOSIT WOULD NO LONGER BE REFUNDABLE.

If your car is $80k, 5% = $4000, If your car is $100k, 5% = $5000 and as noted, some orders may require a larger deposit. It was also noted in a thread many months ago that there was a misunderstanding with Kerbeck that they wanted $1k plus $5k but that was ironed out with the customer. Bottom line, is, if you can afford an $80k car or $100k car a $5k or $6k (or more) deposit shouldn't be a deal breaker. It solidifies the deal and keeps the tire kickers at bay.

Last edited by direct007; 12-31-2020 at 06:27 PM.
miteshsp (12-31-2020)
Old 12-31-2020, 06:57 PM
C6Tim
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Sadly you are incorrect... The post I responded to clearly indicates that the OP put down a total deposit of 6K so not sure where you think I'm "sadly misinformed". The rest of your comments are purely personal opinion just as mine were so neither is wrong or sadly misinformed.
msm859 (02-06-2021)
Old 12-31-2020, 07:01 PM
redzone99
Intermediate

Originally Posted by miteshsp
That could be correct. My MSRP is over 87k, so 6k deposit didn't sound unreasonable to me. This will be my 3rd Corvette purchased from Kerbeck and highly recommend them.

Quick Reply: Kerbeck Q - Time from 5k deposit to order code