Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor Trend's hot lap of the C8 for PCOTY

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2021, 04:37 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,768 Likes on 3,180 Posts

Originally Posted by improviz
Please. You're so desperate to beat up on the C7 to win in typical fanboy fashion that you're using apples-oranges comparison to "prove" it. As per a direct comparison of C7 Z51 to C8 Z51, the car was 0.9 faster. That it wasn't faster than a GS with all of its aero, wider track and wider tires proves nothing other than better aero, wider track, larger brakes, and wider tires help with lap times. Wow. What a revelation.
good lord. Where to begin?

The C8 Z51? Vs GS non Z07 downforce? Do you know the figures? I do.... even a GS Z07 doesn't have as much df as the C8 Z51. Not to mention the C8 Z51 has less drag and MORE DOWNFORCE.

But obviously you're emotional about your C8. I understand. Its the C8 forum.

When my C8 Z06 shows up? I'm sure I too will have some biases. But I do not overlook facts as presented by Chevrolet on paper.

And nowhere (understandably) is tadge or any other Chevrolet spokesperson ever going to bring up a lap time of a C7 GS non or Z07 running against the C8. Because its counterproductive. Because the C8 Z51 is not there yet. There is a good chance they make a few tweaks here and there and get it to be as fast. At that time they will most certainly bring up the C8 Z51 vs the old C7 GS.

In the context of Laguna Seca and this car? It did admirably. But i would've expected it to be quicker given the SS 1LE time.. i was pretty surprised by that.. i won't lie.. but that SS 1LE is dam good.. at spring mountain they use that 1LE for everything except ZR1 classes. And if they have a hot shoe in the Z06 class they used to switch to the C7 Z51. So seeing the 1LE be quicker in Randy's hands (given his love for the ME and RE cars) I am a little floored.

Or is it that Randy owning a 4cyl 1LE Camaro play into that? Why would Randy buy that car unless it blew him away?
The following 3 users liked this post by 23/C8Z:
911Hunter (01-03-2021), chubbs6350 (01-05-2021), ZRacerLE (01-03-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 04:39 PM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Originally Posted by sprayer
Which is funny since during the unveil they spent a considerable amount of time showing track driving and talking about how well it is designed for track use.
Is there a point in your sentence for a 15 year old person or older?
Old 01-03-2021, 04:41 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by foo.c
What's absurd about the track alignment? -3.0 degrees of camber is in the ballpark for any track alignment that I've ever seen.
How do you determine what camber setting your particular car must have? One size fits all? Ball park, indeed.
The following users liked this post:
911Hunter (01-03-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 04:48 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

There is a C8 Derangement Syndrome complete with a laughable degree of jealousy well demonstrated in this thread by the usual trolls and Debbie Downers.
ArmchairArchitect (01-03-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 04:52 PM
sprayer
Drifting

Received 900 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by Telepierre
Is there a point in your sentence for a 15 year old person or older?
From your previous post it would imply Chevrolet may not have fully focused on track capability of the C8 in design and focused on other areas. If I read into your post correctly, I disagree because of all the attention that was given to the track capability of the car during the unveil.

The designers/engineers stuffed up. People have given Shaka grief over his negative comments about the C8 design but maybe he is onto something. Maybe Jim Mero was onto something too.

Old 01-03-2021, 04:54 PM
sprayer
Drifting

Originally Posted by punky
There is a C8 Derangement Syndrome complete with a laughable degree of jealousy well demonstrated in this thread by the usual trolls and Debbie Downers.
2016 Camaro owners have nothing to be jealous about.
The following 2 users liked this post by sprayer:
23/C8Z (01-03-2021), 911Hunter (01-03-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 04:58 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,669 Likes on 8,312 Posts

You missed the BIG one.
Does it do it for free OR is he a gun for hire?
What exactly is your point?

I'm sure Randy Pobst makes a nice living as a consultant for many manufacturers. His experience and skill are valuable commodities. However, for the purposes of this comparo, I don't think he was a "gun for hire" compensated by Ford, Lamborghini, or Porsche.

Pobst didn't even vote. He simply posted lap times, which were utilized by the judges as only one of many factors in their ratings. I've met, talked with, and followed him for years. He, like most professional drivers, tend to be as brand agnostic as anyone can be. Privately, they tend to be the most critical of the car they've been hired to drive.

Moreover, having been an independent consultant, the good ones are paid to be objective, as painful as that may sometimes be for the client.

Last edited by Foosh; 01-03-2021 at 05:17 PM.
911Hunter (01-03-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 05:00 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,768 Likes on 3,180 Posts

that 6th gen is a machine. Amazed by it really. It just doesn't Kickstart the old blood pumper like the corvettes do for me. Neither does any Mustang or a Challenger but you can't deny the camaro and the Mustang are nipping at the heels now.
ZRacerLE (01-03-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 05:24 PM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

From your previous post it would imply Chevrolet may not have fully focused on track capability of the in design and focused on other areas. If I read into your post correctly, I disagree because of all the attention that was given to the track capability of the car during the unveil.

The designers/engineers stuffed up. People have given Shaka grief over his negative comments about the C8 design but maybe he is onto something. Maybe Jim Mero was onto something too.
Corvette reveal is 40 minutes and 30 seconds long. The word track mentioned two times for a total of seven seconds.
You are making stuff up!
JerryU (01-03-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 05:33 PM
sprayer
Drifting

Corvette reveal is 40 minutes and 30 seconds long. The word track mentioned two times for a total of seven seconds.
You are making stuff up!
Oh ok the video playing in the background was to illustrate what?
Why did GM bother taking the car to Germany for testing spending all that money, when it was not a priority? No tracks in USA they could have used and saved a boat load of cash.

The fact they went ME is enough to tell you that they chased track performance. 7 seconds haha and I am making stuff up.

Now that track performance is a let down, it gets swept under the carpet as not being important. I bet if the track times were favourable it would be a huge talking point. Now it has to get swept under the carpet, no choice.

Let us also not forget the Z51 package. What is that for again? Track?

Last edited by sprayer; 01-03-2021 at 05:43 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by sprayer:
911Hunter (01-03-2021), Foosh (01-04-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 05:45 PM
improviz
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by 19/C7Z
good lord. Where to begin?

The C8 Z51? Vs GS non Z07 downforce? Do you know the figures? I do.... even a GS Z07 doesn't have as much df as the C8 Z51. Not to mention the C8 Z51 has less drag and MORE DOWNFORCE.

But obviously you're emotional about your C8. I understand. Its the C8 forum.

When my C8 Z06 shows up? I'm sure I too will have some biases. But I do not overlook facts as presented by Chevrolet on paper.

And nowhere (understandably) is tadge or any other Chevrolet spokesperson ever going to bring up a lap time of a C7 GS non or Z07 running against the C8. Because its counterproductive. Because the C8 Z51 is not there yet. There is a good chance they make a few tweaks here and there and get it to be as fast. At that time they will most certainly bring up the C8 Z51 vs the old C7 GS.

In the context of Laguna Seca and this car? It did admirably. But i would've expected it to be quicker given the SS 1LE time.. i was pretty surprised by that.. i won't lie.. but that SS 1LE is dam good.. at spring mountain they use that 1LE for everything except ZR1 classes. And if they have a hot shoe in the Z06 class they used to switch to the C7 Z51. So seeing the 1LE be quicker in Randy's hands (given his love for the ME and RE cars) I am a little floored.

Or is it that Randy owning a 4cyl 1LE Camaro play into that? Why would Randy buy that car unless it blew him away?
No, but what you do that I find annoying is keep posting repeatedly cherry-picked data (ONLY data from C8 from this particular test, ONLY data from GS C7's instead of C7 Z51's) to support your argument, which seems to be that the C7 is a superior track car. Who has said this? Pobst? NO. Any of the major automotive publications? NO. So what do you do? Keep citing the savagegeese video as the be-all, end-all comparison between C7 and C8, and keep broadcasting his video over and over as though it's the definitive source on the matter. He complains of terrible understeer on track. Did Pobst? NO. Who is savagegeese? A top-flight racer with a winning record like Pobst? I seriously doubt it. So why is his opinion worth 1/10th that of Pobst's? Why don't we rope in Logan Paul as well for his feedback?

Also, why is it that Pobst's constant complaining about the C7's tail-happy handling and the fact that it was the only car he ever was forced to lap with traction control turned on, counts for nothing? Clearly, while pointing out some room for improvement in the C8's handling, he was crystal clear that he felt that it was vastly superior to the C7 on the track.

Similarly, you repeatedly keep comparing the C7 GS, which has much wider tires front and rear, larger brakes, etc. and totally avoid any Z51-to-Z51 comparison. Why? Because in that one, obviously, the C8 wins as it did in this Car & Driver track comparison,
, and you can't have that, now can you? For whatever reason, you're trying to play up only apples to oranges comparisons and this comparison, and avoid apples to oranges and other comparisons (except, of course, savagegeese, which just coincidentally features an apples-orange comparison). Are you seriously going to argue that if mounted with commensurately wide and sticky rubber, the C8 would not take a C7 GS on a track? If not, then what's the point in about comparing a wider-tired, wider-tracked, and larger-braked C7 GS to a C8 and ignoring all comparisons of the Z51 to Z51? Better traction = better lap times. Wow.

My point is that if you look *sum total* at how the C8 has performed against these cars at other tracks, same day, same driver (in one case, Pobst), and how it performed against the Z51 C7 which wasn't the full-blown track-updated beast that the C7 GS was, then it becomes pretty apparent that it's a pretty stellar track performer. It's also obvious that GM, having much higher profit margins in a Z06, isn't going to go full-tilt bore on the C8, because, well, they want to sell more Z06's. Kind of obvious...

Simple question: What did GM do when going from Z51 to GS? What was the objective? And how did they accomplish it? How do the end results compare with a C7 Z51's?
https://media.chevrolet.com/media/in...port/2017.html

Last edited by improviz; 01-03-2021 at 05:46 PM.
Old 01-03-2021, 05:48 PM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Foosh
What exactly is your point?

I'm sure Randy Pobst makes a nice living as a consultant for many manufacturers. His experience and skill are valuable commodities. However, for the purposes of this comparo, I don't think he was a "gun for hire" compensated by Ford, Lamborghini, or Porsche.

Pobst didn't even vote. He simply posted lap times, which were utilized by the judges as only one of many factors in their ratings. I've met, talked with, and followed him for years. He, like most professional drivers, tend to be as brand agnostic as anyone can be. Privately, they tend to be the most critical of the car they've been hired to drive.

Moreover, having been an independent consultant, the good ones are paid to be objective, as painful as that may sometimes be for the client.
My point is you were taking the "Saint" Pobst route...
He comes across as a likeable and professional ex-racer. Now he is a marketeer. He gets paid in the car selling industry; judges and all. Looks like we agree on motives.
As for results, I take a huge exception with your good/objective dichotomy. Almost naive I would say.
In the selling industry the good ones are paid to communicate a pre determined selling outcome spoofing their way to it.
"The C8 has regular tires....Oh really!? LoL!

Old 01-03-2021, 05:52 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Keep saving your change, you just might have enough for a C8 when the C9s are on the street. Until then, in your case, hater gotta hate. Nothing wrong with driving an older model. You flaunt your insecurity about doing so with your daily hate rants on the C8. It is entertaining. Do you realize what a fool you make of yourself this way?
JerryU (01-03-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 05:58 PM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Oh ok the video playing in the background was to illustrate what?
Why did GM bother taking the car to Germany for testing spending all that money, when it was not a priority? No tracks in USA they could have used and saved a boat load of cash.

The fact they went ME is enough to tell you that they chased track performance. 7 seconds haha and I am making stuff up.

Now that track performance is a let down, it gets swept under the carpet as not being important. I bet if the track times were favourable it would be a huge talking point. Now it has to get swept under the carpet, no choice.

Let us also not forget the Z51 package. What is that for again? Track?
Seven seconds! and you are making stuff up. You literally are. You are making up a juxtaposing of your interpretations of Tadge & Co. are saying and showing. 99% of the ME talk is driving dynamics, visibility, seating position. No beating the C7 GS. No Nurburing record.
Those are just voices...

Old 01-03-2021, 06:16 PM
chubbs6350
Burning Brakes

Received 831 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by improviz
I see. So your claim is that Chevrolet mounted up these wider tires on a GS (wider than a C7 Z51) and yet they offer zero benefit on a track? That sure seems to differ with what they've said in their press releases. It also seems to differ with actual lap times between the GS and the C7 Z51. How do you explain these faster lap times? Magic?
So you're saying the only difference in lap times between the c7gs and the c7z51 is the tires?

It doesn't matter anyway, unfortunately the ME gas powered corvette is finished this generation, and judging by the lap times discussed in this thread, the switch to me hasn't been a huge advantage as expected on the track, it might be easier to drive at the limit, or feel better, but in the end, after all things considered, the c8 has failed in its mission, it has dct, more hp and mid engine handling/traction yet barely beats its 7 year old brother
911Hunter (06-25-2022)
Old 01-03-2021, 06:28 PM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by chubbs6350

after all things considered, the c8 has failed in its mission, it has dct, more hp and mid engine handling/traction yet barely beats its 7 year old brother
No, it has failed YOUR mission not ITS mission. Big difference.
Old 01-03-2021, 06:37 PM
chubbs6350
Burning Brakes

Received 831 Likes on 368 Posts

No, it has failed YOUR mission not ITS mission. Big difference.
Well my mission is all about looks, and it looks awesome from the front, so I'm hoping the rear gets cleaned up somehow and I'll be buying c8z, I actually like how corvette looks different every generation and I love all of them differently.

Get notified of new replies

To Motor Trend's hot lap of the C8 for PCOTY

Old 01-03-2021, 07:18 PM
foo.c
Pro

Received 412 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaka
How do you determine what camber setting your particular car must have? One size fits all? Ball park, indeed.
Again, what is absurd about the alignment settings?
Old 01-03-2021, 07:26 PM
sprayer
Drifting

Originally Posted by punky
Keep saving your change, you just might have enough for a C8 when the C9s are on the street. Until then, in your case, hater gotta hate. Nothing wrong with driving an older model. You flaunt your insecurity about doing so with your daily hate rants on the C8. It is entertaining. Do you realize what a fool you make of yourself this way?
​​​​​​Guess it sucks knowing the facts after all the hype. Gotta love all the clowns bagging other cars and now eating humble apple pie you included. The SS being faster must have hit a nerve. Or maybe the Porsche GT4 that you have bagged constantly beating the C8 did it.

Some of us knew what was going on. You are finding out now.

Last edited by sprayer; 01-03-2021 at 07:28 PM.
Old 01-03-2021, 10:48 PM
Phil1098
Race Director

Received 11,610 Likes on 4,640 Posts

​​​​​​Guess it sucks knowing the facts after all the hype. Gotta love all the clowns bagging other cars and now eating humble apple pie you included. The SS being faster must have hit a nerve. Or maybe the Porsche GT4 that you have bagged constantly beating the C8 did it.

Some of us knew what was going on. You are finding out now.
It's pretty obvious that the C8 is about 3 miles under your skin. You hate the car, you hate GM, and yet you come here almost every day to do what? Your pathetic attempt at changing absolutely one persons mind has failed as miserably as is possible. You're so blinded by hatred you can't see anything but the worst in everything. So the difference in price between a 2021 C8 with Z51 and mag ride (less freight, like Porsche base price is shown) is $33,410 less than a zero option GT4. That's within $500 of throwing in a 2021 Camaro LT1 package with the 455 HP V8. So you actually think that the GT4 is an entire V8 Camaro more of a car than the C8? Don't look now, the C8 is still selling way over list and the line is still miles long, think about that, add that to your long list of failures.
The following 2 users liked this post by Phil1098:
JerryU (01-03-2021), Telepierre (01-04-2021)

Quick Reply: Motor Trend's hot lap of the C8 for PCOTY