Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DCT vs Automatic

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2020, 05:55 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,647 Likes on 6,646 Posts

^^^
Learn something everyday by driving and good Forum info!

Last edited by JerryU; 12-25-2020 at 05:56 PM.
Old 12-25-2020, 06:14 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,249 Likes on 2,179 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
^^^
Learn something everyday by driving and good Forum info!
You are definitely one of my sources of anything C8 related.

You know your stuff man!! Thanks for providing all the great info!
The following users liked this post:
JerryU (12-26-2020)
Old 12-25-2020, 09:01 PM
JT#7
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
You've obviously never owned a vehicle with the outstanding German-built ZF8. It is bullet-proof and universally praised. It is well-known the GM A8 was problematic, and DCT's have sucked on occasion as well.

The ZF8 is used by Alfa-Romeo, Audi, BMW, FCA, Jaguar/Land Rover, and Mercedes-Benz among others. They are infinitely tunable depending upon whether the manufacturer is going for sporty vs. sedate, and most have controls for changing the shift characteristics.

I've owned cars with ZF8s tuned such they are almost indistinguishable from the excellent PDK, and BMW among others have dumped DCTs in favor of the ZF8.
I've only owned a couple of BMW's 15 years ago, not the others. Just stating that MY experience with the tranny's with torque converters in the vettes and Ford Edge in the last 5 years both sucked.
Old 12-28-2020, 07:10 AM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 619 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
Understanding the difference between the Tremec DCT and a "slushbox" automatic will help explain some of the issues folks have expressed! It's NOT a "slushbox" (thank goodness or I'd be driving something else!) It does NOT have a fluid coupling torque converter that can provide smooth power from 0 speed and allow the car to creep forward say in stop-and-go traffic by modulating the brake pedal. Some have complained about the DCT NOT operating like their "slushbox!"

SIDEBAR
Think of the DCT as two standard shift transmissions (which it is. ) Each with it's own clutch. When you slow down, unlike a standard shift where you would disengage the clutch, the Tremec DCT 1st gear clutch does NOT disengage. It slips as some folks do with a standard shift when on an incline to keep it from rolling back (not good practice but can be done.) Not a problem with the C8 DCT as the clutch is bathed in transmission fluid that has a large liquid to liquid cooler. As the Chief Corvette Engineer said, it is not an excess wear issue, it's built to handle that slippage.

So as you slow down, at about ~3 mph the 1st gear clutch starts to slip, it has to so the engine doesn't stall. You can feel the slip (if you are preceptive.) So sure, you have to keep your foot on the brake or it will creep forward! Just as you must with a "slushbox" but the difference is with a "slushbox" there is no transition speed. The torque converter can transfer power smoothly from 0 mph.

Therefore in bumper-to-bumper traffic I would treat it more like a standard shift and let the car in front move a few car lengths then release the brake pedal so the clutch can fully engage and move forward. You can let it creep with the clutch slipping BUT you'll feel the difference. When I pull slowly into my garage, as the mirrors come close to the door edge, it does feel different than say the wife's BMW X5, which has a good "slushbox" (if that is possible.)

PS: Understand many folks are not gearheads and don't want to think thorough the mechanical differences but some of the "silent majority" who view Threads might appreciate this way of thinking about what's happening! Having only driven standard shifts for my DD in 60 years, getting used to the DCT was an issue. I drove in Manual Mode for a month AND when I came to a Stop Light pulled both shift paddles, which disengages BOTH clutches (the only way to disengage the clutches.) Then I released the downshift paddle when stopped and kept the upshift paddle depressed until ready to move forward. On a flat surface no need to keep my foot on the brake! BUT for the past 3 months drive a different way. I have Z MODE set with Power in Track, which provides a much more aggressive drive (as I was used to in my 2017 Grand Sport, etc.) I now am used to the slight slipping and don't bother with pulling both shift paddles to put them in neutral as I come to a stop. Most fun Vette of the 6 I have owned.

Just use the Tremec DCT to it's advantage and forget those old "don'ts" with DCT's as that is for older ones!
JerryU, it’s good to point this stuff out. Many drivers don’t realize any of this stuff that you have said. I believe most people step on the gas to go and step on the brake to:stop. I’m more or less like you I feel what the transmission is doing, manual , the old style automatic. And probably also the DCT when I get my hands on one.

Old 12-28-2020, 07:35 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,647 Likes on 6,646 Posts

^^^^
Yep for the ~75% of Vette owner's who drove "automatics" it is different. The "slushboxes," as I refer to them, all have a fluid coupling torque converter that can transmit power smoothly from 0 mph. And the wife has had some excellent "automatics" like her XJ Jag, CTS Caddy, followed by a Porsche Cayenne and her most recent two BMW X5 SUVs. Good "slushboxes' but no where near the Tremic DCT in performance and software options it provides.

And agree with the comment that the clutch slippage. which starts below ~3 mph, gets smoother with time. But as I pull into the garage and the driver's mirror tip gets 2 to max 3 inches from the wood door molding (my indicator that I have the needed clearance on the passenger side) I go very slowly. Feels much different than pulling into the garage with the wife's SUV! It's NOT like a "slushbox" automatic.

That said, IF you want to drive like a slushbox automatic, your option put it in Tour Mode and have at it! But if you're at all perceptive, when stopping at a red light or trying to creep forward in bumper to bumper traffic (like you can do with a "slushbox") it "feels" different.

For those who would like the "feel" a great performance transmission I suggest setting Z MODE with POWER set to TRACK. Can set all other controllable variables where you would like: Ride, eBoost, Steering and NPP. It's like driving a different car with very quick upshifts and most noticeable downshifts. It also never goes into V4 mode and will seldom shift past 5th or 6th. It will NOT downshift with modest throttle changes since you'll have plenty of torque in the lower gears. If just cruising on a section of road you can use the upshift paddle and go to higher OD gears. I drive it Z MODE 90% of the time.

Last edited by JerryU; 12-28-2020 at 07:47 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JerryU:
Lacquer (12-29-2020), Z0HS1CK (12-29-2020)
Old 12-29-2020, 05:36 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,249 Likes on 2,179 Posts

^^^awesome insight jerryu!! You really do know a lot about the C8!!! Thanks for the info!!!!
Old 12-30-2020, 02:12 AM
Grimlock13
Melting Slicks

Received 139 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by RAGS747
I have a 4C as well, in fact going to get her out of the garage now. Agree with what you say exactly, you do want your foot on the brake when stopped though.
Yes, I do keep my foot on the brake. Was just making the point that it doesn't creep if you don't.

I also treat it like a manual and wait for traffic to start moving and a gap form instead of inching forward in little bits.

Quick Reply: DCT vs Automatic