Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Plastic Protection Film Is On The Corvette When It Ships From The Plant?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2020, 11:34 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,923 Likes on 1,365 Posts

Default What Plastic Protection Film Is On The Corvette When It Ships From The Plant?

I know the Corvette ships from the assembly plant to the dealer with the cloth like car cover. I was wondering what plastic protection film is also applied to the outside finish. If anyone has pictures that would be even better.

Last edited by Michael A; 12-12-2020 at 11:36 PM.
Old 12-13-2020, 12:07 AM
rm50
Melting Slicks

Received 202 Likes on 73 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

There is no factory applied protection film applied.
Old 12-13-2020, 12:28 AM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,106 Likes on 6,184 Posts

Originally Posted by rm50
There is no factory applied protection film applied.
While there is no Paint Protection Film from the factory, there are some areas that are shipped with self-adhesive plastic covers. For example, the upper portion of the "boomerang" is wrapped. I have seen photos showing other areas covered as well. I'll try to find them and post them here.
Old 12-13-2020, 12:39 AM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,106 Likes on 6,184 Posts

Last edited by Zymurgy; 12-13-2020 at 12:45 AM.
The following users liked this post:
vetteish (12-13-2020)
Old 12-13-2020, 12:52 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Zymurgy, thank you for the photos. I am surprised how little film they do apply. I guess the cover does the job, and they just cover a few "wear points".
Old 12-13-2020, 06:23 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,641 Likes on 6,641 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
I know the Corvette ships from the assembly plant to the dealer with the cloth like car cover. I was wondering what plastic protection film is also applied to the outside finish. If anyone has pictures that would be even better.
Unlike the C7 there is no "protective film" designed to provide "permanent protection." On my 2014 Z51 and Grand Sport it discolored especially on the edges so I removed it on both. I had aftermarket full length side skirts on the 2014 Z51 and ordered the Stage 2 aero option for the Grand Spot that came with full length side skirts. Not the 3/4 skirts that came standard on the Grand Sport and Z06.
Old 12-13-2020, 09:58 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JerryU
Unlike the C7 there is no "protective film" designed to provide "permanent protection." On my 2014 Z51 and Grand Sport it discolored especially on the edges so I removed it on both. I had aftermarket full length side skirts on the 2014 Z51 and ordered the Stage 2 aero option for the Grand Spot that came with full length side skirts. Not the 3/4 skirts that came standard on the Grand Sport and Z06.
Thanks, Jerry. I was referring to the temporary white films that they put on cars to protect them from the plant to the dealer. Good to know about there being no permanent protective films, too.
Old 12-13-2020, 10:58 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^^
Sorry. FWIW, I was surprised on how well the GM supplied cover was attached and protected the car. I was tracking my car's delivery via OnStar and sending messages to the small Chevy Dealer's Service Manger who did the Courtesy Delivery- same one also who did my 2017 Grand Sport. Great guy. Lost tracking and assumed it would be coming the next day. The Service Manager called around 3 PM and said the truck arrived and did I want to see the GM covering removed. I said yes would be there ASAP. They are 30 miles away and was there in 45 minutes.

He told me the car carrier driver usually helps remove the covering so he can sign off that all is OK. However he had 3 more C8's and was driving to the Southern part of the State so left. He said he only signed for what he could see so we'll take a close look. Took two people to get all the attachments and cover off. The Dealer's son, who doesn't work there, came to help as it was their 1st C8!

There were some coverings like, as I recall, over the mirror glass. You can see a few white plastic coverings in these pics. Car was perfect, no defects found that night or the next day when their Corvette Tech did the PDI.

Last edited by JerryU; 12-14-2020 at 06:07 AM.
The following users liked this post:
vetteish (12-14-2020)
Old 12-14-2020, 12:32 AM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,236 Likes on 3,469 Posts

A shame they don't always seem to be as careful building and inspecting the cars as when shipping them. For example, when applying the "wrap" one might think mismatched color side intake edge pieces would be noticed. Oh yeah, "Not my job."
Old 12-14-2020, 05:19 AM
EasyLivin
Race Director

Received 3,160 Likes on 1,359 Posts

My car was pretty dirty under the cover... I assume the transport truck got caught in the rain and the cover is far from air and water tight...
Old 12-14-2020, 06:52 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^^
As noted and seen in my post #8, mine was was quite clean when it arrived.

DETAILS:
It was not in Bowling Green long from when it showed "produced." When checking it's location using MyChevrolet.com via OnStar, Saturday and Sunday it was in Bowling Green. On Monday I first located it in TN then several stops in GA, then in Western SC in a Mall at 6 PM. Lost tracking info Tuesday. Turned out the car had several stops in the SC and didn't arrive to the Courtesy Delivery Dealer in NE SC until ~3PM. No rain those day.

Had instructed the Service Manager NOT to wash it and when I got it home it was clean. I washed, clay bared and applied Zaino Z5 polish (without mixing with accelerator) followed immediately by their CS (Clear Seal, which is a 10 minute apply and let dry! Sal at Zaino says the CS sets the Z5 polish.) Like all their products, have to apply sparingly! Hard to overemphasis that point! I usually just use the CS by itself on wheels and rocker panels.

However must have rained while sitting in Bowling Green as there were a lot of water spots on the flat black panels in the engine compartment. Used Meguiar's Water Spot Remover, which got most of it. Then used 2 coats of their Ultimate Black. Had used that on my 3 1/2 year old GM splash guards removed from my 2014 Z51 and before installing on my 2017 Grand Sport. After 3 coats they looked new! Have to rub it in with "elbow grease," or could use a DA. For the C8 I used modest elbow grease and finished with a microfiber cloth.

Mention that as have been caught in rain for ~60 miles and washed the C8 a number of times with no effort to prevent water going through the hatch vents. Very little water gets in after washing. I just use a towel in the engine compartment when drying the car and a quick wipe with a detail spray to remove the small amount of dirt. No more water sports to deal with. I'm not OCD so good enough for me!

Last edited by JerryU; 12-14-2020 at 07:03 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To What Plastic Protection Film Is On The Corvette When It Ships From The Plant?

Quick Reply: What Plastic Protection Film Is On The Corvette When It Ships From The Plant?