Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Love my C8 , but hate the road noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2022, 06:41 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,658 Likes on 6,654 Posts

Originally Posted by JD'S WHITE 93
Funny I think it should make more noise.
Tadge said the same thing about "good sound!". He said they worked hard to make the cabin quite since the loud part of the engine; i.e., Water Pump, AC Compressor, Alternator and Bicycle Chain driving the cam are all close to your ear.

He said the short exhaust makes it quieter than the C7. They tried to get some good intake air sound close to your ear via the thin side glass versus the very thick 9 mm glass separating the cabin from the engine (which he said they copied from Ferrari!) When I added a low restriction air filter I followed the air intake path he mentioned. See pic. No question NPP is more quite than my C7s- TOO QUIET!

Passage starts from rear fender scoop (both sides.)

I tracked the path from the intake air passage coming from the air filter with my fiberoptic camera!

Last edited by JerryU; 06-27-2022 at 06:49 PM.
Old 06-27-2022, 06:46 PM
JD'S WHITE 93
Le Mans Master

Received 1,338 Likes on 675 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
Tadge said the same thing about "good sound!". He said they worked hard to make the cabin quite since the loud part of the engine; i.e., Water Pump, AC Compressor, Alternator and Bicycle Chain driving the cam are all close to your ear.

He said the short exhaust makes it quieter than the C7. They tried to get some good intake air sound close to your ear via the thin side glass versus the very thick 9 mm glass separating the cabin from the engine (which he said they copied from Ferrari!) When I added a low restriction air filter I followed the air intake path he mentioned. See pic. No question

NPP is more quite than my C7s- TOO QUIET!

Passage starts from rear fender scoop (both sides.)

I tracked the path from the intake air passage coming from the air filter with my fiberoptic camera!

Interesting post thanks for sharing.
The following users liked this post:
JerryU (06-27-2022)
Old 06-27-2022, 11:15 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,935 Likes on 1,369 Posts

Originally Posted by thebroz1138
None of the replies here have addressed this possible problem. Could the Active Noise Canceling be broken on the car? Maybe someone knows how to test it.

Perhaps the radio has to be on for this to work?
Active Noise Cancellation only works on low frequencies. Most tire noise is above that threshold. The radio does not need to be on for it to work.

I've noticed the road noise varies a lot by road surface. Given the tire size, I am not surprised there is a fair amount of road noise.
Old 06-27-2022, 11:44 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,949 Likes on 2,177 Posts

While I chuckled at a few of the snarky remarks Id suggest selling the corvette and buying a new lexus two door or the mercedes SL.

probably more suited to your expectations and if you do this while demand is still red hot for the c8 you will make money on the entire endeavor.

not every car is for every owner.

personally I find the c8 z51 with mrc I own a little quiet and I am opting for a z06 not so much for the performance but for the more visceral driving experience.

i want more. You want a little less. Nothing to be ashamed of. Just a personal preference. Rather than try and modify the car etc...just sell it , make a profit and move on.

ive heard jaguars f type v8 is rather loud as well so probably best to avoid.

the new mercedes SL looks sweet and I hear the lexus two v8 sc500 is a hell of a lucury sports car.

the c8 leans a little more towards sports car and although many of us previous corvette owners find the c8 quiet your expectations are not being met.

sell as is and make the profit. Buy a lexus or a mercedes 2 door luxury coupe or convertible.

the upcoming electric revolution hopefully will bring you even greater choices.

thanks for sharing and good luck
Old 06-27-2022, 11:59 PM
See8
Pro

Received 649 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
While I chuckled at a few of the snarky remarks Id suggest selling the corvette and buying a new lexus two door or the mercedes SL.

probably more suited to your expectations and if you do this while demand is still red hot for the c8 you will make money on the entire endeavor.

not every car is for every owner.

personally I find the c8 z51 with mrc I own a little quiet and I am opting for a z06 not so much for the performance but for the more visceral driving experience.

i want more.
well, you can do with Enzo Ferrari did and start your own car company.

but in all honesty I think your car search for the holy grail is going to come up empty.

Life is a series of trade-offs. Same with cars.
Old 06-28-2022, 08:14 PM
Crazy Cowboy
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 120 Likes on 91 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by Crazy Cowboy
Working on it tomorrow actually!
I was actually amazed at how thin a lot of the cabin is on the C8. Drove the car for a couple hundred miles beforehand and I have to say it seems like there’s a lot of tire noise and drivetrain noise. Specifically probably transmission or rear end type of noise. Found a couple spots that really let that noise in. Surprisingly the install was not much different than on the C7. I will say the C8 is quite a bit quieter than the C7 but there is definitely quite a bit of room for improvement on outside noise getting in. The exhaust inside the car is actually kind of too quiet even at the loudest setting, but what I found over the years is that the guys doing long road trips and tours with the cars enjoy it to be nice and quiet on the Long highway cruises with the windows open and the stereo on or the passenger conversation.

Working on the step-by-step instructions and pictures and putting the kits together. Should be available on the website maybe by this weekend. We also just got a couple new types of insulation that are even more effective but weigh a little more. That may also be an optional selection for the guys who just want the car be vans quiet as possible.

PLEASE SUBSCRIBE TO CRAZY COWBOY'S YOUTUBE PAGE:
The following 3 users liked this post by Crazy Cowboy:
CGZO6 (06-29-2022), lion shf (10-09-2022), Michael A (10-07-2022)
Old 06-28-2022, 10:33 PM
BoxFlyer
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I noticed the OP had a HTC. I have a 2022 HTS and had the exact problem. I mean LOUD. Mixture of tire and wind and hard to pin down. I check all the door weather stripping, roof, windows, frunk, you name it. BTW my daily driver is a MBZ SUV, but I own a 1996 355 Spider and that rag top is quieter. Found the problem - turns out it was the top not latching evenly leaving an air gap. The top up looked perfectly even, did not leak water when I washed it, Turns out it was caused my faulty right motor on top. Since the repair all is good.
lion shf (10-09-2022)
Old 10-06-2022, 10:43 PM
Crazy Cowboy

Cruise-In V Veteran

Some pics from another quieted down C8 for those guys who want a nice comfortable more luxury touring feel on those long trips and tours. 👍🏼

www.ExoticVette.com
The following 3 users liked this post by Crazy Cowboy:
dohabandit (10-06-2022), Michael A (10-07-2022), thebroz1138 (10-06-2022)
Old 10-07-2022, 08:50 AM
tsigwing
Burning Brakes

Received 979 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Cowboy

Some pics from another quieted down C8 for those guys who want a nice comfortable more luxury touring feel on those long trips and tours. 👍🏼

www.ExoticVette.com
What's the install procedure like? How long for an average joe to install?
Old 10-08-2022, 08:28 AM
Crazy Cowboy

Cruise-In V Veteran

It’s a full day job for a first timer. Comes with instructions and pictures on how to do it. It is surprisingly similar to the C6 and C7 for how it is all put together inside. One thing that did surprise me was that the C8 uses almost the same amount of extreme (heavy first layer) material as the C6 and C7 which have the trunk. I think because the console is larger and the rear wall as well. I just got this text yesterday from a customer and forum member: (I won’t put his name without his permission)

Just took a 200 mile trip down to Statesboro, GA. I went to school here and my Mom’s from here. I drove the C8. The high pitched HISSSSSS is way down. Even with the top down, the radio is easily heard. I’m very happy with the results!

I have been doing Corvette insulation kits and a vendor on the forum for almost 20 years and these kind of emails and messages always make me so happy. For the customer and that I’m doing something that makes others have more enjoyment with their car.

www.ExoticVette.com
Old 10-08-2022, 08:31 AM
Crazy Cowboy

Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by tsigwing
What's the install procedure like? How long for an average joe to install?
I looked at my last post and wanted to clarify “a full day job” meaning probably 6-8 hours if you’re taking your time. It could be done 5-6 hours by some, longer maybe by others. Some guys do it over a weekend or a couple days but it can be done in one day. Youngest installer on one of our kits is 14 years old and oldest was 82! At around half that age now, I can say that I’ll be happy to be able to bend over at 82
Old 10-08-2022, 06:48 PM
Green Streaker
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts

I have a 2021 Z51 and find the road noise is highly dependent on the road surface. It can be very loud or nearly none.
The following 3 users liked this post by Green Streaker:
16falcon (10-09-2022), Crazy Cowboy (10-08-2022), JimB. (10-08-2022)
Old 10-08-2022, 06:51 PM
JimB.
Instructor

Received 104 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Green Streaker
I have a 2021 Z51 and find the road noise is highly dependent on the road surface. It can be very loud or nearly none.
Very true.
Old 10-09-2022, 03:30 PM
sanman55
Racer

Received 158 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by herbf1
Well been driving my C8 2lt for about one month. I really love the car ! My only complaint is the amount of loud road noise . at low speed it is bad but to me at high speed above 70 its really bothersome .This is the first corvette I have owned other then a 1962 so I have nothing to compare it to. However the interior road noise is much louder then my 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee and very much louder then my e350 Mercedes. I am wondering if this is normal or I have a problem ? Thinking maybe the bose noise cancelling is not working correctly or I am missing some sound deadening ? Or this normal but I would hope not. I have looked through this forum and could not find others with this concern so any advise would be great !
Thanks in advance
Herb Fraser
I do not know what people are talking about...Mine is as quiet as ANY car I have ever had and I am 75 years old...Top up or down I do not notice anything at all... Maybe I am just getting deaf
langhorne_bill (10-09-2022)
Old 10-09-2022, 04:45 PM
swift93
Racer

Received 230 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by 704set
Run flats are noisy. If you ditch them, how do you handle a flat?
I've had terrible luck with tires in the last few years. The latest was on wife's E450 with run flats that claim to be good for 50 miles at 50mph. She only made it ten miles and called for a flatbed. The truck driver mentioned he has had many runlets not make the 50 miles.
Old 10-09-2022, 05:03 PM
Ringmaster
Racer

Received 304 Likes on 132 Posts

I've done a trip or two with my C8 coupe. Only road noise I've noticed is road surface dependent and run flat tire noise on that particular surface. If you want a quieter car get rid of your run flats. I switched away from run flats on my BMW and it made a huge difference in noise and handling. After saying that, I find the C8 runflats to be great in all respects except for some road surfaces.
Old 10-09-2022, 05:20 PM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

Location: S/W ,Fla-Ohio State Football isn't a matter of life or death,Its Much More serious than that
Received 1,142 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by herbf1
Well been driving my C8 2lt for about one month. I really love the car ! My only complaint is the amount of loud road noise . at low speed it is bad but to me at high speed above 70 its really bothersome .This is the first corvette I have owned other then a 1962 so I have nothing to compare it to. However the interior road noise is much louder then my 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee and very much louder then my e350 Mercedes. I am wondering if this is normal or I have a problem ? Thinking maybe the bose noise cancelling is not working correctly or I am missing some sound deadening ? Or this normal but I would hope not. I have looked through this forum and could not find others with this concern so any advise would be great !
Thanks in advance
Herb Fraser
Its not supposed to be a Mercedes !!

Get notified of new replies

To Love my C8 , but hate the road noise

Old 10-09-2022, 08:00 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,150 Posts

Just got back from a 2000 mile tour. All I can say is I don’t use the phone while driving, Siri, the gm navigation both can’t hear commands, the gm system even says there is too much background noise. Need to turn the radio up and down depending on the road surface.

Need to get that kit!
Old 10-10-2022, 11:13 AM
CaptainFester
Pro

Received 599 Likes on 261 Posts

i dont own one yet, but honestly i crank my music almost 100% of the time in whatever im driving, and have been told the bose 2lt package is solid. so thats my take.

personally agree with the others who say you cant compare your merc to a corvette but more for the idea that i dont think chevy wanted a quiet car and merc does.
Old 10-10-2022, 11:36 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,671 Likes on 8,313 Posts

Old thread, but it bears repeating: A high performance sports car gains much of its potential from very wide, sticky tires. The more tire surface contacting the road, the more noise, and there's probably at least 4X more tire on the road than on an average vehicle, which means a lot more tire noise.

The majority of the noise in the cabin is tire noise.

Lastly, Michelin ZPs (aka "runflats") are no more noisy than the non-ZP versions of the same tire. They have identical rubber compounds and tread blocks. The difference is in the inner sidewall, which does not contribute to road noise.

Last edited by Foosh; 10-10-2022 at 11:47 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Foosh:
hdrider1 (10-10-2022), langhorne_bill (10-10-2022), RKCRLR (10-10-2022)

Quick Reply: Love my C8 , but hate the road noise