Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Executive Chief Engineer Explains Why the C8 Corvette Was "Mid-Engine or Bust"

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2020, 02:02 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 4,015 Likes on 1,690 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb
Boy, this place is just chock FULL of engineers...who have NEVER designed a totally new car from the ground up..
You got me there. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...

Old 12-01-2020, 02:31 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,244 Likes on 2,175 Posts

Originally Posted by RMS73
Not a big fan of TJ, but I do give him much credit for getting a mid engine corvette approved by GM management - not an easy task.

For the manual trans crowd I believe using an electric floor shifter instead of rods/cables would have been acceptable - only difference would have been no clutch pedal. Just replace the steering wheel paddles with the floor shifter. I believe the no manual trans was because of emissions.
just the thought of that idea is laughable In terms of the direction the Corvette is headed and/or where it wants to be in the consumers minds. Back in the day when I went to car meets often people loved asking about my car, until I told them it was a manual. They kept saying why? I said I like shifting gears (my mind has changed since then lol). Then they said yeah that's good but if you're buying a car that's built for performance, why go with the one that has the disadvantage? And I thought about it and at first I didnt care what he said, similar to the fanboys preaching here. I said I love rowing gears, it feels good etc.

Until I started to drive more autos. Watching my buddies with autos destroying manual cars. Watching other guys from across the country just having a blast with their fast auto. Its convenient. Its confidence inspiring and it's just more efficient.

Try driving a c7z to the limit on the street. You cant.

Go drive a hellcat to the limit in the street. You'll have so much fun you'll get speeding tickets left and right.

Auto saves lives. And is saving the car life lolllzz
Old 12-01-2020, 04:51 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Z0HS1CK
just the thought of that idea is laughable In terms of the direction the Corvette is headed and/or where it wants to be in the consumers minds. Back in the day when I went to car meets often people loved asking about my car, until I told them it was a manual. They kept saying why? I said I like shifting gears (my mind has changed since then lol). Then they said yeah that's good but if you're buying a car that's built for performance, why go with the one that has the disadvantage? And I thought about it and at first I didnt care what he said, similar to the fanboys preaching here. I said I love rowing gears, it feels good etc.

Until I started to drive more autos. Watching my buddies with autos destroying manual cars. Watching other guys from across the country just having a blast with their fast auto. Its convenient. Its confidence inspiring and it's just more efficient.

Try driving a c7z to the limit on the street. You cant. Go drive a hellcat to the limit in the street. You'll have so much fun you'll get speeding tickets left and right.

Auto saves lives. And is saving the car life lolllzz
What's your point? You can't drive a Honda Civic or a Ford F150 "too the limit" on the street, without getting a speeding ticket. What car are you driving these days? Just curious.

BTW - Your holiday sweater looks great, but it might be time to open up the window shades in Moms basement. You could use some color:

Holiday Photo of Z0HS1CK
Old 12-01-2020, 05:17 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,956 Likes on 5,345 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06M3
Before the C7 Z06 was introduced, wasn't Tadge the one who said it would be the most track capable Corvette ever, even with an A8? That's now a laughable statement
It was at the time. There are a hell of a lot of them at track events throughout the year and they are top dogs on the track. Have owned a C7 Z06 for 5 years that I track all the time and it is still one hell of a performer on the track. The cooling system is stock and I have never had an overheat situation. Coolant temp runs 219 to 225 and oil temp runs 269 to 275. You can run full tilt all day with those temps.

Bill
Old 12-01-2020, 05:34 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
It was at the time. There are a hell of a lot of them at track events throughout the year and they are top dogs on the track. Have owned a C7 Z06 for 5 years that I track all the time and it is still one hell of a performer on the track. The cooling system is stock and I have never had an overheat situation. Coolant temp runs 219 to 225 and oil temp runs 269 to 275. You can run full tilt all day with those temps.

Bill
That's what i'm saying. Whatever car is on the horizon, salesman tadge will hype it up. Can't blame him. I would do the same thing if i was in his shoes. It's what pays the bills. Even if i have to lie to the consumer that's what i would do to sell the car.

That said, the C7Z is HEAVILY flawed. And i have one, going on 4+ years now. No i never tracked it but i do beat on the car the weekends it gets taken out. When it's summer time, the car still pulls strong, even with the AC on and it's 90 degrees out. But of course repeated pulls will get the car to really extreme temps. Temps i never experienced but perhaps i let the car cool down sufficiently enough so it doesn't overheat.

And then in the winter, when i still use the car, the car is basically useless in 1st 2nd and sometimes 3rd. I really can only have fun playing in 4th in the lower rpm's, about 2500-5000.

That's why i respect cars like the GTR or M5's that have all wheel drive and all that power. Because if gives you so much confidence you can plant your car any time, any mph, virtually any weather condition.

My buddies hellcat is planted. And he makes close to 1000rwhp. Manual cars can't do that. They are ice skating everywhere. It's the worst.
Old 12-01-2020, 07:03 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Lebowski
You got me there. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...

Sure you did, dude

See what I did there?

Last edited by jimmyb; 12-01-2020 at 07:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Big Lebowski (12-03-2020)
Old 12-01-2020, 07:14 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

That said, the C7Z is HEAVILY flawed. And i have one, going on 4+ years now. No i never tracked it but i do beat on the car the weekends it gets taken out. When it's summer time, the car still pulls strong, even with the AC on and it's 90 degrees.
If it’s so flawed, why do you own one? I’m asking because you spend a lot of time complaining about the Corvette. Maybe you should trade up and get a C8?

And then in the winter, when i still use the car, the car is basically useless in 1st 2nd and sometimes 3rd. I really can only have fun playing in 4th in the lower rpm's, about 2500-5000.
This is just common sense with a wide Summer tire, rear wheel, large horse power car. All the things that made you go “ooh ahh” when you bought it. If you did so, knowing you needed to drive it year round, that’s on you. Buy a $10k Winter driver and store it. Problem solved.

That's why i respect cars like the GTR or M5's that have all wheel drive and all that power. Because if gives you so much confidence you can plant your car any time, any mph, virtually any weather condition.
This is just common sense. Thank you for the Public Service Announcement.

My buddies hellcat is planted. And he makes close to 1000rwhp. Manual cars can't do that. They are ice skating everywhere. It's the worst.
Any car “skating everywhere” has more to do with 2-wheel vs. AWD, the tires, torque and the skill of the driver far more than the transmission. Anyone suggesting otherwise, is selling something.
Old 12-01-2020, 07:27 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

That's what i'm saying. Whatever car is on the horizon, salesman tadge will hype it up. Can't blame him. I would do the same thing if i was in his shoes. It's what pays the bills. Even if i have to lie to the consumer that's what i would do to sell the car.

That said, the C7Z is HEAVILY flawed. And i have one, going on 4+ years now. No i never tracked it but i do beat on the car the weekends it gets taken out. When it's summer time, the car still pulls strong, even with the AC on and it's 90 degrees out. But of course repeated pulls will get the car to really extreme temps. Temps i never experienced but perhaps i let the car cool down sufficiently enough so it doesn't overheat.

Being very serious...why don't you sell it? If I was this unhappy with a car, it would be GONE.
Old 12-01-2020, 07:34 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Lebowski
If it’s so flawed, why do you own one? I’m asking because you spend a lot of time complaining about the Corvette. Maybe you should trade up and get a C8?

Any car “skating everywhere” has more to do with 2-wheel vs. AWD, the tires, torque and the skill of the driver far more than the transmission. Anyone suggesting otherwise, is selling something.
Yeah that comment makes no sense. I’ve driven automatic Hellcats several times on the stock tires and you can lose traction easily. The car on stock tires is under tired.

Automatic transmissions don’t eliminate wheel spin.

Last edited by thill444; 12-01-2020 at 07:34 PM.
Old 12-01-2020, 08:08 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by jimmyb
Being very serious...why don't you sell it? If I was this unhappy with a car, it would be GONE.
I don't know what to get next. It's that simple.

I'm not a corvette enthusiast, nor a GM fanboy. I like a lot of cars.

I like the C7Z, i just don't wanna be shifting anymore. And there was a VERY VAGUE thought of getting a C7Z in auto but i forgot how terrible that is, even though i'd probably would enjoy that more, going WOT at least.

When they announce the C8Z already, is when i finalize my next move. But it's looking like i'm going for the charger redeye for 3 years to put me into the C8Z in 2024, probably around the same time as if i waited while still owning my C7Z. I'm not owning this car any longer. Already had it a little over 4 years. I want to get into a new toy. Winter is going to be a long one.
Old 12-02-2020, 09:32 AM
ticat928
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Tage is the Most forthcoming executive of any company, I know, period.

It probably gets him in trouble at times sharing too much information, but The higher ups let it go due to the value he adds to GM

If I had executive responsibility at a company I would also not point out that a manual transmission increases warranty claims.

Let high profit margin Porsche fill that niche.

In order to keep a $60,000 entry level price allow the engine management system to downshift when cylinder pressures get too high at low speed lugging events when in too high a gear.
Old 12-02-2020, 11:02 AM
auburn2
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts

Well call it a success.

C8's going for 110-120+ and people buying them.
$75k and $90
Local chevy dealer by me has a C8 for 73k. My local dealer. The dealer that called me over so i can actually SIT in a C8 and play with it (not drive it).

I told them is that true? He said yes and no. And that car will eventually sell close to 100k. Not sure how or if that's even legal but he said he had one similar C8 like that, and sold for 20k+ over the advertised price.

These cars are selling like hotcakes!
You can find numerous examples on autotrader between $75k and $90k
Old 12-02-2020, 11:05 AM
auburn2
Racer

While ford and especially dodge are doing awesome damn things with their cars, GM really gave us nothing. They gave us the camaro which will soon be out. And then there's the corvette.
???? Ford is getting rid of most of their cars and the Lincoln brand is getting rid of all of them.
Old 12-02-2020, 11:13 AM
auburn2
Racer

I don't know what to get next. It's that simple.

I'm not a corvette enthusiast, nor a GM fanboy. I like a lot of cars.

I like the C7Z, i just don't wanna be shifting anymore. And there was a VERY VAGUE thought of getting a C7Z in auto but i forgot how terrible that is, even though i'd probably would enjoy that more, going WOT at least.

When they announce the C8Z already, is when i finalize my next move. But it's looking like i'm going for the charger redeye for 3 years to put me into the C8Z in 2024, probably around the same time as if i waited while still owning my C7Z. I'm not owning this car any longer. Already had it a little over 4 years. I want to get into a new toy. Winter is going to be a long one.
I am not trying to be a jerk, but I don't get what is so terrible about traditioinal autos. Like you I am not a GM fanboy, my garage currently includes a C4 corvette (M), a jaguar XKR (A) and a mercedes S65 (A) as well as more mundane Fords, Chevys and a Buick (all autos).

I get while people want a manual, I like driving them and I understand why some enthusiasts miss the 3rd pedal. I always like to keep at least one 3-pedal car in the garage, even if it has to be an old truck. At the same time I understand why most prefer not to have a 3-pedal car and to let the car do the shifting.

Having driven Ferraris, Maseratis and Porsches with a DCT though, I don't understand what a DCT brings to the table over a traditional hydromatic. I get that people want an automatic, but to me a slushbox with paddle shifters (like on a C7 or my Mercedes) just seems better than a DTC in every single way.

Last edited by auburn2; 12-02-2020 at 11:16 AM.
Old 12-02-2020, 11:27 AM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,382 Likes on 2,070 Posts

Originally Posted by auburn2

Having driven Ferraris, Maseratis and Porsches with a DCT though, I don't understand what a DCT brings to the table over a traditional hydromatic. I get that people want an automatic, but to me a slushbox with paddle shifters (like on a C7 or my Mercedes) just seems better than a DTC in every single way.
The hydraulic coupling makes it less efficient than a DCT. Also in many (all) implementations the slushbox has slower down shift times and slower response between inputs at the paddle and execution of the shift in manual mode.

However the hydraulic coupling can also give torque multiplication (until the convertor is locked) that the DCT does not.

If there were not some benefit of one transmission over the other in some way, all the transmissions would be one single type, with the same number of gears, or at least gear range (thinking CVT)
Old 12-02-2020, 11:28 AM
drs
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 278 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaka
Thanks for sharing!
Old 12-02-2020, 12:15 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by auburn2
I am not trying to be a jerk, but I don't get what is so terrible about traditioinal autos. Like you I am not a GM fanboy, my garage currently includes a C4 corvette (M), a jaguar XKR (A) and a mercedes S65 (A) as well as more mundane Fords, Chevys and a Buick (all autos).

I get while people want a manual, I like driving them and I understand why some enthusiasts miss the 3rd pedal. I always like to keep at least one 3-pedal car in the garage, even if it has to be an old truck. At the same time I understand why most prefer not to have a 3-pedal car and to let the car do the shifting.

Someone said it best in the c7z section. They said there comes to a point in hp where a manual is useless.

Is anyone a fan of the youtube channel autotopnl? He drives a lot of cars. To the limit too. More than anyone here. He made a comment about the supra that made over 1200. It was a manual. He said why would anyone want this much power in a manual? An auto will plant the car a lot better than a manual. Imagine going wot and you stab that clutch for a shift. You throw the momentum and when you grab that next gear and stomp on the throttle, you can probably kiss your *** goodbye.

An auto doesnt have any interruptions. Not to mention a lot of performance auto cars have torque management so you dont have to throw your entire engines hp output every single time You put your foot down.

My favorite auto is actually a ZF 8 speed. Which uses a torque converter. It is very forgiving and doesnt have that herky jerky some dct cars have. Some M cars are like that. It's not terrible you just have to adjust your driving style a bit. Cant creep it like a regular auto etc.

I'm getting a c8 no matter the engine, hp or if there is a manual option. I'm definitely not going for any manual anymore. But that's just me. Once my c7z goes, the manual lifestyle goes with it. I'm tired of it. If you guys love it that's awesome..more power to you. I'm just saying gm did it right giving the c8 a dct only. Its elevates the car. That's why supercars have dct. Imagine ferrari announcing their f12 or their 488 is getting a manual. No one would buy it. Buyers will be like wtf why.

Going fast, shifting gears and enjoying the car can happen all at the same time. These days, performance autos gives us all of that.

Get notified of new replies

To Executive Chief Engineer Explains Why the C8 Corvette Was "Mid-Engine or Bust"

Old 12-02-2020, 12:25 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Ummm... Guess which car goes for more on the used market. A manual Ferrari or automatic? A manual Lambo or automatic? A manual Corvette or an automatic?

If a modern Ferrari or Lambo offered both an auto and manual version of their current cars the manual ones would resale for more money.
The following 2 users liked this post by thill444:
Big Lebowski (12-03-2020), Foosh (12-02-2020)
Old 12-02-2020, 12:29 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,669 Likes on 8,312 Posts

The same is true of almost any manual sports car. While it's still early, it appears manual C7s are moving faster in the used market and showing signs of bringing higher sales prices. That trend should only accelerate going forward.
Old 12-02-2020, 12:47 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Foosh
The same is true of almost any manual sports car. While it's still early, it appears manual C7s are moving faster in the used market and showing signs of bringing higher sales prices. That trend should only accelerate going forward.
A clean low mileage manual C7 ZR1 is going to likely to really be worth something down the road.
The following users liked this post:
Foosh (12-02-2020)

Quick Reply: Executive Chief Engineer Explains Why the C8 Corvette Was "Mid-Engine or Bust"