Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chinese parts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2020, 09:42 AM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

Default Chinese parts?

Does anyone know the percentage of Chinese-made parts that are used in the C8? Just curious.

Thanks.
Old 11-22-2020, 10:01 AM
sblvro
Pro

Received 326 Likes on 158 Posts

50%? The hybrid might be 100%!
The following users liked this post:
kratedisease (11-22-2020)
Old 11-22-2020, 10:15 AM
Vette_Pilot
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts

Old 11-22-2020, 10:36 AM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 4,079 Likes on 1,726 Posts

Originally Posted by quick04Z06
Does anyone know the percentage of Chinese-made parts that are used in the C8? Just curious.

Thanks.
Not sure about “G-YNA” specifically, but the Chevy Corvette is usually in the top 10 in terms of Index ranking the most American made vehicles. The 2020 C8 Corvette was ranked #8 in 2020, down from #5 in 2019.

https://www.cars.com/articles/the-ca...erican-422711/
The following 3 users liked this post by Big Lebowski:
ArmchairArchitect (11-23-2020), JerryU (11-22-2020), W1NSLOW C8 (11-22-2020)
Old 11-22-2020, 06:01 PM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the answers.

See this link:

https://www.american.edu/kogod/resea...auto-index.cfm

The 2019 Corvette with the automatic transmission had 68% US or Canadian made parts. That still does not really answer my question, but I guess it gets close. Anyone who can tell me the percentage of Chinese made parts in a C8 Corvette, I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 11-22-2020, 07:40 PM
New car dude
Drifting

Received 514 Likes on 344 Posts

Thanks for the answers.

See this link:

https://www.american.edu/kogod/resea...auto-index.cfm

The 2019 Corvette with the automatic transmission had 68% US or Canadian made parts. That still does not really answer my question, but I guess it gets close. Anyone who can tell me the percentage of Chinese made parts in a C8 Corvette, I would greatly appreciate it.
Why?
Old 11-22-2020, 09:28 PM
Propspinner
Pro

Received 738 Likes on 283 Posts

I’m thinking the valve springs were probably made in China.
The following 2 users liked this post by Propspinner:
Blade2382 (11-22-2020), Flex182 (11-23-2020)
Old 11-23-2020, 07:52 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

This is getting harder to tell. Parts for sub assemblies could be sourced from China and the completed part could be assembled in USA. Suppliers to GM do not have to identify the source of parts in their components.
The following 2 users liked this post by b4i4getit:
New car dude (11-23-2020), stevestig (11-24-2020)
Old 11-23-2020, 08:26 AM
New car dude
Drifting

Received 514 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
This is getting harder to tell. Parts for sub assemblies could be sourced from China and the completed part could be assembled in USA. Suppliers to GM do not have to identify the source of parts in their components.
Everyone on this forum does realize that NO 6000 series or 7000 series aluminum is produced in North America. Let that sink in a little bit before saying made in America for anything. Whats even more interesting is more legislation was created by the same people that enacted sanctions to facilitate more raw material outsourcing. Almost all polymer manufacturing comes from China. All electronic cable and harnessing is produced there as well. Has anyone ever thought about where all or most lighting or bulbs are produced? Where does the base chemicals for ALL car paint come from? The list goes on and on, but the devices we are using to write this should have been a tip off.
The following 2 users liked this post by New car dude:
Losbot (11-23-2020), Warp Ten (11-24-2020)
Old 11-23-2020, 08:41 AM
C8J
Le Mans Master

Received 3,153 Likes on 1,718 Posts

Just like the labels on food, there needs to be more delineation. "Made IN" should not be the same as Assembled IN or Produced in. If the raw materials is sourced from China (or anywhere else) regardless of manufacture, that should be known. Parts content needs to be labeled as to source of materials, not just point of manufacture or assembly - IMO.

This China syndrome is far worse than the Japanese Syndrome of the 60s and 70s. They at least learned and improved and became rather excellent in a decade or so later. Not to mention that they were never even this bad. China has had multiple decades and the crap is getting worse, not better. Wally world has done civilization a big disservice. It's forced manufacturing down a hole so deep, It's hard to see if it will ever get out. Personally, I do not blame China for the result, it's the greedy Fortune CEOs creating this by forcing crap manufacturing from Chinese sources. And like most things, an uneducated public doesn't refuse to buy crap.
The following 2 users liked this post by C8J:
exracer28 (11-24-2020), tobiasjenkins (11-23-2020)
Old 11-23-2020, 09:30 AM
tobiasjenkins
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Keep in mind, some companies will say made in the US or where ever - but they are made in china. When the product arrives, part of it is disassembled then reassembled so they can say made in the US - misleading consumers. Business in the US is not honest at all (when talking about corporations). Not saying this is how Chevy does business, but one (or more) of their suppliers might.
Old 11-23-2020, 09:35 AM
ericok
Instructor

Received 156 Likes on 70 Posts

Almost every electronic sub-component is made in China: capacitors, resistors, inductors, integrated circuits, transformers, relays, connectors. Could be assembled in USA but the component parts come from China.

People blame China for producing crap but it's not entirely true. China can make quality products but most stuff sourced from there is based solely on price. Thus you get bottom feeding end products.

Last edited by ericok; 11-23-2020 at 09:39 AM.
Old 11-23-2020, 09:40 AM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by tobiasjenkins
Keep in mind, some companies will say made in the US or where ever - but they are made in china. When the product arrives, part of it is disassembled then reassembled so they can say made in the US - misleading consumers. Business in the US is not honest at all (when talking about corporations). Not saying this is how Chevy does business, but one (or more) of their suppliers might.
I do not think American companies are somehow more corrupt than Asian companies....

What I do think has changed over the last 40 or 50 years is many public companies, for many reasons, are all in for quarterly profits no matter what it does to the company's reputation five or 10 years down the road. Very shortsighted, but that is how our current system works.

Last edited by quick04Z06; 11-23-2020 at 09:45 AM.
Old 11-23-2020, 09:41 AM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Propspinner
I’m thinking the valve springs were probably made in China.
Certainly thinking the same thing, or at least the alloy from which they were made.

Old 11-23-2020, 10:45 AM
TxLefty
Le Mans Master

Received 893 Likes on 580 Posts

I do not think American companies are somehow more corrupt than Asian companies....

What I do think has changed over the last 40 or 50 years is many public companies, for many reasons, are all in for quarterly profits no matter what it does to the company's reputation five or 10 years down the road. Very shortsighted, but that is how our current system works.
Pretty much. Companies are managed to maximize the quarterly bonuses for management. Back in the "good old days" we were strongly lectured about corporate responsibility to the community, employees, etc. There are some companies around that still believe in that kind of stuff, Home Depot for one, many electric utility companies still operate with those values. I'm sure there are others, but not nearly as many as there should be.
Old 11-23-2020, 11:19 AM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,156 Likes on 6,206 Posts

Originally Posted by ericok
Almost every electronic sub-component is made in China: capacitors, resistors, inductors, integrated circuits, transformers, relays, connectors. Could be assembled in USA but the component parts come from China.

People blame China for producing crap but it's not entirely true. China can make quality products but most stuff sourced from there is based solely on price. Thus you get bottom feeding end products.
I must take issue with the integrated circuits portion of your statement. Most major IC makers have manufacturing facilities scattered across the globe, including right here in the U.S. Texas Instruments, AMD, Intel, Qorvo and others. According to the Semiconductor Institute of America, 52% of US semiconductor companies manufacturing is done in the US. 30% is done in Asia which includes much more than China - Taiwan, Korea, Philippines, Singapore and Malaysia all have strong semiconductor manufacturing. Semiconductors are the third largest manufactured US export China is a significant consumer of integrated circuits, but they are not a major manufacturer of integrated circuits.
The following users liked this post:
ericok (11-23-2020)
Old 11-23-2020, 11:28 AM
papillion
Safety Car

Received 2,412 Likes on 1,176 Posts

Default Just the Facts

Slowly inexorably, we have allowed our mfg base to dwindle in scope. Making fewer and fewer spare parts, pieces, and end products. And become dependent on Chinese sourcing. I have a friend who buys for a mid sized small equipment producer. In Chinese towns you'll never here of, there might be a dozen mini factories that make and compete for the parts he wants. More so needs. Dozens of Chinese cities are the size of our largest NYC. Ones that you can't find can't spell and sadly can't do without. Dangerous commentary. The Chinese are an existential threat should they choose to be. So far we are better their customer than their foe. Today, we should hope it remains that way. Not a fatalist but surely a realist.

Last edited by papillion; 11-23-2020 at 11:30 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Chinese parts?

Old 11-23-2020, 02:50 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 4,079 Likes on 1,726 Posts

Anyone who can tell me the percentage of Chinese made parts in a C8 Corvette, I would greatly appreciate it.
I'm beginning to think that Quick04Z06 is that guy from "Gremlins" always complaining about all the foreign parts in his tractor.

Old 11-23-2020, 04:23 PM
catnaround
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

It's a global economy.... nothing you can do about it
Old 11-23-2020, 04:57 PM
Losbot
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 430 Likes on 246 Posts

I believe it really did start with Wal-Mart. There's a few documentaries about it and I worked at a large company that had Wal-Mart as a client. They were on the verge of bankruptcy and decided to bring in some cheap garbage into the US. Domestic companies could not compete with that and were forced to setup shops in China to stay competitive.

Wal-Mart is also a corporate bully. They'd place manufacturers into meeting rooms and just pit them against each other for lower prices. Sometimes they'd come back to us and TELL US what they're going to pay and if you didn't like it, then too bad. We also had to do all their homework for them and determine what THEIR sales were going to be every quarter and year. The sort of stuff that you'd think they would be figuring out. Nope. they make you do all the work.

Problem is once you're in their stores, the sheer volume of sales is what kept you "profitable". You had to find ways to cut corners. The profit per piece was crap but it was their volume. Wal-Mart made up about $55M/year in sales for us. Our #2 customer was about $5M/year.

Too many people in this country just want the lowest price so everything is basically disposable junk now.

Quick Reply: Chinese parts?