Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 day old C8 engine replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2020, 08:57 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,766 Likes on 3,179 Posts

To the contrary. Unlike buying a House. Which has an independent inspection (hopefully thorough). Buying a vehicle is usually the second largest financial purchase you make.

Ridiculous you say?? Not even close. Its what should happen.. catastrophic failure requiring huge disassembly of your brand new vehicle is not acceptable. And the titling registration etc?? Should all be held for 30 days. They can do it..

Tesla does it.. GM can do it.. you can purchase a Tesla and get extension after extension before having to keep it (until very recently and it will be back watch).

Again,, coming from a person not faced with that stress and aggravation of course you would "poo-poo" it. Hopefully one day you get to experience something like that. Then come back and preach.
Old 11-15-2020, 09:08 AM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,377 Likes on 2,068 Posts

I am curious what happened to the engine that the dealer and presumably GM said they would replace the engine? The TSB would suggest the fix replace the valve springs. Perhaps badly scored cylinder walls, or a hole in a piston? If it was just a bent valve, they would just replace to valve.

if I was the owner and keeping numbers matching (no real reason worry about this), I would ask this question.
Old 11-15-2020, 09:15 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Who looks to see if an engine has been replaced under warranty when buying a car.
Amazing how the OP gets himself bent over for $20,000 but then worries about diminished value. Wow.
Old 11-15-2020, 09:18 AM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Originally Posted by 19/C7Z
To the contrary. Unlike buying a House. Which has an independent inspection (hopefully thorough). Buying a vehicle is usually the second largest financial purchase you make.

Ridiculous you say?? Not even close. Its what should happen.. catastrophic failure requiring huge disassembly of your brand new vehicle is not acceptable. And the titling registration etc?? Should all be held for 30 days. They can do it..

Tesla does it.. GM can do it.. you can purchase a Tesla and get extension after extension before having to keep it (until very recently and it will be back watch).

Again,, coming from a person not faced with that stress and aggravation of course you would "poo-poo" it. Hopefully one day you get to experience something like that. Then come back and preach.
Tesla does it...NOT! Then again, Tesla would do anything to sell a car and stay in the game. What an example to follow...a company that sold less than 400,000 units last year compared to GM's 7.7 million. You use that as an example once the amateurs found it to be unsustainable in the real world?

So, since I have been personally involved in more of these cases than you have ever heard of, you are saying I can preach about it? I lost a transmission in a '75 Impala, an engine in a '93 Eldorado, and an engine in a '99 911...all my personal cars. As a 40 + year new car dealer, I have seen far more cases than you ever will. Dream on partner...it is a really stupid idea!
Old 11-15-2020, 09:49 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,348 Likes on 14,002 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by Jeffthunbird
I doubt Chevy will offer compensation other than to replace the motor and warrantee it.
I agree. Have them replace the engine and enjoy your car. Diminished value - zero.
Old 11-15-2020, 10:06 AM
midigike
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 141 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by YO-EL
If it was me, I'd want a different car..
Its one thing if it happened after a month or so, but 2 days, under 100 mi... No...
I have a friend who is a mechanic and the local Chevy dealer. I didnt believe him at first, but he says they are pulling and replacing motors all the time. In all models. The worst engine he said was the 5 cylinder motors that were in the first trailblazers.
Old 11-15-2020, 10:09 AM
C7sebringgs
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 47 Posts

Don't think the dealer going to take the car back and return your money. That is what the warranty if for. You might be lucky you are getting a new engine unlike all the others who are just getting their valve springs replaced. Who knows what kind of problems they will have down the road if those broken valve springs caused internal engine damage. If it were me, I would rather buy your car with a new engine than one with valve springs replaced.
Old 11-15-2020, 10:37 AM
HOTXFIL
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I can't be the only person dying to know how a brand-new car winds up with zero oil in it...
Old 11-15-2020, 10:37 AM
joeking
Safety Car

Received 290 Likes on 195 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

I think GM should do a buyback and then resell it to the dealership. The problem is the OP paid more than MSRP and this makes things way more complicated. Had the OP paid MSRP it would be very easy just to let GM take the car and buy another one. I do believe you should receive some sort of compensation. You most like are driving a free loaner car while yours is being repaired. A couple thousand dollars compensation would seem fair to me however it may be tough to get that out of GM. I hope all goes well for you.
Old 11-15-2020, 10:56 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,634 Likes on 6,636 Posts

Originally Posted by midigike
I have a friend who is a mechanic and the local Chevy dealer. I didnt believe him at first, but he says they are pulling and replacing motors all the time. In all models. The worst engine he said was the 5 cylinder motors that were in the first trailblazers.
Funny, that 5 cylinder Issuzo engine that GM was putting in the Colorado caused me to buy my 3rd Vette! Not the engine, which sound good on paper, BUT the lack of a standard shift! Details below!

SIDEBAR
Loved my S-10 with every HD option offered by Chevy: Quick Steering, HD suspension, HD sway bars, HD shocks with a 5th Hop Shock (that reduced axle wrap-up,) Posi, lowered 3 inches from the factory, Aluminum Wheels and low profile tires. I Installed Polyurethane sway bar bushings, duals with FlowMaster muffler, Hypertech Programmer, B&M short throw shifter for the 5 speed, a sub-woofer w/amp and a fiberglass bed cover painted the truck's silver color. It was September 2007 and time for a new vehicle. Loved the truck so looked into the S-10 replacement the Colorado.

Looking at GM info and build options, the higher hp 5 cylinder engine from their "partner" Issuzo sounded good on paper. (Turned out that higher power was all at top end and the engine a dog!) BUT the issue was the transmission, it was not shown as available with a standard shift. Thought can't be, so went to the dealer. Salesman agreed that can't be right I'll call the Chevy district office and check. I sat their for what felt like 10 minutes and when he walked back to his office, standing in the doorway he said, "Looks like you'll have to upgrade to an automatic." That was not something you should said to a gearhead who has only had standard shift DD's all the time I had been driving! Already irritated from sitting there ~10 minutes I stood up, said "You don't understand an automatic is NOT an upgrade it's a non issue!" I walked out!

Since I had 2 Vettes prior to the S-10, thought- time for another! Called Kerbeck and ordered a 2008- my 3rd Vette!

Last edited by JerryU; 11-15-2020 at 11:05 AM.
Old 11-15-2020, 11:33 AM
Wass
Melting Slicks

Received 136 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

^^^^^^ THIS... not a big deal if you never go looking. But... and here's the rub... if you go to trade it in to someone who actually looks over the car or to sell it and they have an independent inspection? It will be obvious that it was done. Tooling marks, clips ties? Routing of harnesses etc etc will NOT be on the same condition.. they can't even pull a panel without leaving marks. Plenty on here have had that happen. ****. I went to pick up my wife's 2 week old caddy from the dealer today and refused it because they BROKE THE PANEL THEY HAD TO REMOVE TO ACCESS UNDERNEATH. If I didn't pop the liftgate? I wouldn't have noticed until it became "my problem". Not detrimental but new is NEW not reconditioned or replaced like crap.

Saw panel was loose fitting felt HOW loose and low and behold. You're kidding yourselves with this mystical magical fairy who can pluck an engine out and replace it unscathed. You're insane.

means nothing. ^^^^^ just because your carfax doesn't show it see below.

exactly (regarding carfax notes).

I have had PLENTY of vehicles which were dealer maintained and SHOWED EVERY LITTLE PROCEDURE DONE AT THE DEALERSHIP TO THE CARS INCLUDING AN 08... so you better believe if the dealer uses the carfax reporting service it will show ENGINE REPLACEMENT at whatever mileage it was.
The engine was replaced by Ourisman Chevrolet during Sept.-Oct. 2014 with mileage just under 12,989. GM bought the car back and it was then sold at auction to Faulkner Pontiac. I bought it from Faulkner in December 2014 with full disclosure. Here is the full Carfax with no indication the engine was replaced. My earlier post had cropped part of the image.

The following users liked this post:
23/C8Z (11-15-2020)
Old 11-15-2020, 11:41 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Ask for what? take the new engine and move on.
These will never be classic collectibles. That kinda stopped around 72ish
Old 11-15-2020, 11:44 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,766 Likes on 3,179 Posts

Dealers can absolutely do this.

Sitting here in the garage on a project literally waiting for paint to dry i read a response to my post about being involved in so many cases blah blah blah. OK. Sure.

On the radio just played a lia commercial. Love it or leave it 48 hours.

As for talking about Tesla and they're not in the game. Man your head is deep in the sand buddy. Sit back and watch the ride musk is going to take them all on. His Tesla is already worth 5x GM and Ford... COMBINED. His factories are going up everywhere and more and more supporting network. Why do you think Mary pulled everyone she could and announce all electric etc? Because that's what she cares about? No. Its because the future passed them right by. GM is 10 years behind. Ford less because they had at least 1 eye open.

Back to the point. The C8... THE HOTTEST CAR IN HISTORY... that dealer doesn't want it back because the OP paid 20k over? Shame on them. There's still morons, i mean people with deep pockets that will pay it.

The OP is that quintessential owner who SPENT WAY OVER MSRP but doesn't have the FU money to back it up and is now in that spot... love and learn.. I wouldn't give 2 ***** about # matching. I would however care the engine was pulled. Thats a game of Russian roulette hell a ttans swap is. THEY DON'T GO BACK THE SAME WAY STOP KIDDING YOURSELF. The amount of extra care to make certain GM ISN'T PAYING FOR. So unless you PULL the mechanic aside, pay him another 40hrs of book to do it the "correct from a-z way"? Things will be shortcut broken. Not put back with care and 100% not torqued to spec everywhere. I worked in that business for a long time and STILL DO.
Old 11-15-2020, 12:04 PM
MagicGlass
Drifting

Received 1,232 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by Stash101
I just purchased my new C8 brought it home making sure not to exceed 75 miles per hour. Took it out the next day and received a warning “oil is at 0 percent. Had to get a tow to the dealer. After the engine was checked out the mechanic fold tow of the valves in the engine broke. Chevy is offering to replace the engine with a née one.

My concern: I will no longer have a matching number vehicle.

question. Should I be concerned about a non matching number vehicle? If so what should I ask for from the dealer and Chevy? I want the car but after paying 20k over list I have reservations. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Have the new engine put in it really doesn't matter like it used to as long as you save all the engine replacement documentation. I would insist by calling GM customer service that GM gives you the longest/best extended warranty they offer for your troubles. This could happen right at the plant while testing and guess what they are going to drop in a new motor that isn't stamped and you would never know it. There is a tag/bar code on the engines with the vin on it have the Dealer carefully remove it and transfer it to the new motor.

Last edited by MagicGlass; 11-15-2020 at 12:10 PM.
Old 11-15-2020, 12:14 PM
919cw313
Le Mans Master

Received 2,683 Likes on 1,408 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by midigike
... 5 cylinder motors that were in the first trailblazers.
Try again.
Old 11-15-2020, 01:07 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by EasyLivin
I would want a new car. If GM doesn't step up then get a lawyer.
And just what do you think a lawyer is going to do? GM has an army of lawyers that have been dealing with problems like this for years. It sucks that the engine blew up but GM is only obligated to repair the defective part or parts
The following users liked this post:
JerryU (11-15-2020)
Old 11-15-2020, 01:31 PM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Dealers can absolutely do this.

Sitting here in the garage on a project literally waiting for paint to dry i read a response to my post about being involved in so many cases blah blah blah. OK. Sure.

On the radio just played a lia commercial. Love it or leave it 48 hours.

As for talking about Tesla and they're not in the game. Man your head is deep in the sand buddy. Sit back and watch the ride musk is going to take them all on. His Tesla is already worth 5x GM and Ford... COMBINED. His factories are going up everywhere and more and more supporting network. Why do you think Mary pulled everyone she could and announce all electric etc? Because that's what she cares about? No. Its because the future passed them right by. GM is 10 years behind. Ford less because they had at least 1 eye open.

Back to the point. The C8... THE HOTTEST CAR IN HISTORY... that dealer doesn't want it back because the OP paid 20k over? Shame on them. There's still morons, i mean people with deep pockets that will pay it.

The OP is that quintessential owner who SPENT WAY OVER MSRP but doesn't have the FU money to back it up and is now in that spot... love and learn.. I wouldn't give 2 ***** about # matching. I would however care the engine was pulled. Thats a game of Russian roulette hell a ttans swap is. THEY DON'T GO BACK THE SAME WAY STOP KIDDING YOURSELF. The amount of extra care to make certain GM ISN'T PAYING FOR. So unless you PULL the mechanic aside, pay him another 40hrs of book to do it the "correct from a-z way"? Things will be shortcut broken. Not put back with care and 100% not torqued to spec everywhere. I worked in that business for a long time and STILL DO.
You know what the problem with trying to be the smartest guy in the room is...all the other smart guys. There have been literally millions of smart guys in the business who have already tried what you are advocating but you are not experienced enough to know it is a been there-done that item. They have been doing this thing for more than a hundred years and you should be able to figure out...if it were plausible and worked it would already be a fact. Even Tesla tried it and figured out it won't work!

Get notified of new replies

To 2 day old C8 engine replacement

Old 11-15-2020, 02:18 PM
mjross
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 126 Posts

Just having the engine replaced and you live happily ever after is not always the case. A lot depends on the knowledge of the techs replacing the engine. Sometimes good, some times not so good. Take my word for it, this can be a real buzz kill. Sadly, it’s looking like there will be some buzz kills in the near future.

Last edited by mjross; 11-15-2020 at 02:19 PM.
Old 11-15-2020, 02:30 PM
RJMC5
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Stash101
I just purchased my new C8 brought it home making sure not to exceed 75 miles per hour. Took it out the next day and received a warning “oil is at 0 percent. Had to get a tow to the dealer. After the engine was checked out the mechanic fold tow of the valves in the engine broke. Chevy is offering to replace the engine with a née one.

My concern: I will no longer have a matching number vehicle.

question. Should I be concerned about a non matching number vehicle? If so what should I ask for from the dealer and Chevy? I want the car but after paying 20k over list I have reservations. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
With respect to the OP, my biggest concern would be the correct installation of the new engine (without the valve issues) and acquiring the longest and best possible warranty extension for the car. Numbers matching would be the least of my concern. If it were me I would narrow it down to two realistic options.

1. New engine install, request extended warranty beyond what was given/purchased initially, loaner vehicle during repair, and a "Good Faith/Preferred Customer" gift card for parts/accessories at the dealership and enjoy driving it till the engine blows up again (just kidding), drive the heck out of it.

2. Sell it quickly with the transferable extended warranty/s and get as much over MSRP as I can. May or may not be able to make up the additional 20K, but may get close before all the "C8 paying over MSRP" dust settles.

Sound realistic?

Old 11-15-2020, 02:34 PM
mjross
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by RJMC5
With respect to the OP, my biggest concern would be the correct installation of the new engine (without the valve issues) and acquiring the longest and best possible warranty extension for the car. Numbers matching would be the least of my concern. If it were me I would narrow it down to two realistic options.

1. New engine install, request extended warranty beyond what was given/purchased initially, loaner vehicle during repair, and a "Good Faith/Preferred Customer" gift card for parts/accessories at the dealership and enjoy driving it till the engine blows up again (just kidding), drive the heck out of it.

2. Sell it quickly with the transferable extended warranty/s and get as much over MSRP as I can. May or may not be able to make up the additional 20K, but may get close before all the "C8 paying over MSRP" dust settles.

Sound realistic?
Nope! Difficult if not impossible to get more than MSRP. However, there might be someone desperate enough to pay more. As a savvy buyer, I’d use this unfortunate incident as leverage.

Quick Reply: 2 day old C8 engine replacement