Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leather conditioning and protection

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2020, 09:24 PM
Stpete
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Thank you Rob! Simply brilliant
The following users liked this post:
Rob4092xx (10-07-2020)
Old 10-06-2020, 11:59 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,439 Likes on 14,048 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I would follow what the owner's manual states. What it recommends works very well.
Old 10-07-2020, 06:46 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,655 Likes on 6,652 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
I would follow what the owner's manual states. What it recommends works very well.
BUT it's not exactly like many "Forum Experts" insist that only a mild soap and water should be used! Here is what the C8 Owner's Manual states (page 280 of the PDF under Interior Care Heading; )
After the "use mild soap and water" it states: "Use cleaners specifically designed for the surfaces being cleaned to prevent permanent damage. Apply all cleaners directly to the cleaning cloth. Do not spray cleaners on any switches or controls. Remove cleaners quickly. Before using cleaners, read and follow all safety instructions on the label. While cleaning the interior, open the doors and windows to get proper ventilation."

My experience with my wives' white leather interior in her BMW X5 SUV. She would wear designer Jeans and had a blue stain on the driver's side seat bolster. She could not get it off. She asked me what I use on my Vette (unusual for her to ask me about cleaning anything!) I applied the Zaino Leather Spray Cleaner (indicates good and safe for leather or vinyl) to a microfiber cloth and got it back to white. Could not see any blue.

As I mentioned in the about post used the same Zaino Leather Cleaner on a black 1/2 inch long spot on my C8 Natural Dipped passenger door panel. Worked great!

TO EACH THEIR OWN!

Last edited by JerryU; 10-07-2020 at 06:55 AM.
Old 10-07-2020, 07:24 AM
Alea_Iacta_Est
Pro

Received 270 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
BUT it's not exactly like many "Forum Experts" insist that only a mild soap and water should be used! Here is what the C8 Owner's Manual states (page 280 of the PDF under Interior Care Heading; )
After the "use mild soap and water" it states: "Use cleaners specifically designed for the surfaces being cleaned to prevent permanent damage. Apply all cleaners directly to the cleaning cloth. Do not spray cleaners on any switches or controls. Remove cleaners quickly. Before using cleaners, read and follow all safety instructions on the label. While cleaning the interior, open the doors and windows to get proper ventilation."

My experience with my wives' white leather interior in her BMW X5 SUV. She would wear designer Jeans and had a blue stain on the driver's side seat bolster. She could not get it off. She asked me what I use on my Vette (unusual for her to ask me about cleaning anything!) I applied the Zaino Leather Spray Cleaner (indicates good and safe for leather or vinyl) to a microfiber cloth and got it back to white. Could not see any blue.

As I mentioned in the about post used the same Zaino Leather Cleaner on a black 1/2 inch long spot on my C8 Natural Dipped passenger door panel. Worked great!

TO EACH THEIR OWN!
Jerry, you bring up a good point. There is a distinction between cleaners and conditioners. In the aftermarket world, there are separate products but it pays to look closely at the cleaner product as some suppliers add their "conditioners" in the cleaner formula along with fragrances, etc., so it's more than just simple soap. The safest product to use, as the manual states is mild soap and water. I think there are a few cars manufacturers out there that supply their own "cleaners" that ensures you're not using a cleaner that does more damage than good. My wife's Jaguar came with a product Jaguar supplies specifically compatible with their interior finishes.

JerryU (10-07-2020)
Old 10-07-2020, 08:00 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^
Yep, agree. Since I use Zaino products on the exterior bought their cleaner and conditioner when I had my 2014 C7 with 3LT Kalahari (tan) interior.

SIDEBAR
For the C8 use their products in a simple way, approved by Sal at Zaino. I use Zaino Z-5 polish "without mixing with their activator so zero waste." Can only apply one layer and then as Sal states, "set it immediately with their Z-CS (clear seal.)" Love Clear Seal as it's apply and let dry- no removing or rubbing! Thanks 5 minutes. It can be used just by itself as I do for wheels, side skirts and some plastic parts. Sal says you can apply their Z-6 immediately on top to get even more "pop." I occasionally use it between polish applications.

They key to using Zaino products is hard to overstate, "have to use very little!" Sounds crazy but if you don't follow their "one small dime size spray" using their a cotton pad applicators it's harder to remove the Polish and The Clear Seal will streak. Used properly it's very quick and a small bottle will last several years!

Understand there are many good products available. To Each Their Own!

Last edited by JerryU; 10-07-2020 at 08:12 AM.
Old 10-07-2020, 08:38 AM
robertbruce
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,222 Likes on 1,580 Posts

TO EACH THEIR OWN!
I have been using Zaino for years. The cleaner works great and the Leather In a Bottle is worth using just for the smell. I had a spot on my 11 GS which water wouldn't touch and it cleaned right up with Zaino Leather Cleaner. Sorry Owners Manual.
Old 10-07-2020, 08:48 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by robertbruce
I have been using Zaino for years. .... Sorry Owners Manual.
Actually as I posted, the C8 Owner's Manual does say use a mild soap and water BUT unlike the many "Forum Experts" does NOT say that is all that can be used!

It says when using a cleaner, be sure it's safe and put on a cloth don't spray directly!

Last edited by JerryU; 10-07-2020 at 08:50 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JerryU:
robertbruce (10-07-2020), vetteish (10-07-2020)
Old 10-07-2020, 11:31 AM
919cw313
Le Mans Master

Received 2,684 Likes on 1,408 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Actually as I posted, the C8 Owner's Manual does say use a mild soap and water BUT unlike the many "Forum Experts" does NOT say that is all that can be used!

It says when using a cleaner, be sure it's safe and put on a cloth don't spray directly!
OM probably doesn't say to NOT clean your windshield with a hammer or to remove bugs from the paint with a blow torch, either.
The following 3 users liked this post by 919cw313:
DAC17 (10-07-2020), Firehawk21 (10-12-2020), Foosh (10-07-2020)
Old 10-07-2020, 11:40 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 919cw313
OM probably doesn't say to NOT clean your windshield with a hammer or to remove bugs from the paint with a blow torch, either.
Guess you missed my point IT DOES SAY you can use other cleaners but to put it on a rag, etc. Several of us have said on this Thread we removed marks with a quality cleaner unlike some "Forum Experts" who insist it's NOT needed.

I proved it worked and was needed on my wifes' white leather in her BMW and yesterday getting a dark black mark off my "Natural Dipped" C8 interior with my Zaino Leather Cleaner.

"Forum Experts" would be wearing the "GM Soft Touch" material (whatever it is on the door panel) scrubbing with "mild soap" and water to perhaps get it off!

Problem giving everybody rides in my C8, few ever asked with my C7s etc!

Last edited by JerryU; 10-07-2020 at 11:43 AM.
Old 10-07-2020, 04:46 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

These threads were a mess on both the C6 and C7 forums. Looks like most C8 owners get it. No wars about which conditioner is best NONE LOL.
Skid Row Joe (10-10-2020)
Old 10-10-2020, 05:17 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,011 Likes on 2,891 Posts

Originally Posted by DAC17
The principle of "just use is a damp towel" has been correct for years. I got sucked into the cleaner/conditioner stuff a long time ago for probably the same reason most people do. You want to feel like you're doing something good for your car by using these products. It's the same idea with people putting premium gas in a car that calls for regular. There are no additional benefits, but it somehow "feels better" to the owner. And don't underestimate the power of marketing!
Correct. It's amazing the amount of unecessary snake oil that people push, even though it's unecessary and does nothing positive for the surfaces.
Old 10-10-2020, 06:01 PM
thatsmydog
Instructor

Received 94 Likes on 48 Posts

I'm planning to go with the gray seats in my C8, but SO MANY people on this forum are saying that the gray seats will show dirt, and importantly, jeans will stain them. But if the seats are not real leather, then will this staining really occur? And can good soap remove the staining if it does occur? Thanks, experts
Old 10-10-2020, 07:04 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Alea_Iacta_Est
Jerry, you bring up a good point. There is a distinction between cleaners and conditioners. . My wife's Jaguar came with a product Jaguar supplies specifically compatible with their interior finishes.
Originally Posted by robertbruce
I have been using Zaino for years. The cleaner works great and the Leather In a Bottle is worth using just for the smell. I had a spot on my 11 GS which water wouldn't touch and it cleaned right up with Zaino Leather Cleaner. Sorry Owners Manual.
Originally Posted by thatsmydog
I'm planning to go with the gray seats in my C8, but SO MANY people on this forum are saying that the gray seats will show dirt, and importantly, jeans will stain them. But if the seats are not real leather, then will this staining really occur? And can good soap remove the staining if it does occur? Thanks, experts
Read the above! After my wife tried to remove her Blue Jean stain from her BMW white seats I used Zanio Cleaner. It work great- she was surprised. It works on Leather, Vinyl or GM's faux "leather" they call Mulan.

The C8 Owner's Manual states you can use "cleaners" designed for the purpose and put on a rag, don't spray directly. OR you can follow the "Forum Experts" who say it's not needed. I've read that BS for years and find "cleaners" work and are better than soap and water. If you're going to worry get black! Your choice!

Last edited by JerryU; 10-10-2020 at 07:08 PM.
thatsmydog (10-10-2020)
Old 10-10-2020, 07:52 PM
Rob4092xx
Drifting

Received 295 Likes on 108 Posts

Cleaners definitely work and do not harm the seats so long as you use something gentle. Zaino cleaner probably works good. I use Woolite at 20 to 1 with water. Just be sure no matter what you use that you wipe it off with a clean, fairly damp towel. You want to get all the cleaner residue off. As far as blue jean transfer, it is impossible to get all of it off. You will just have to live with some of it.

Read the above! After my wife tried to remove her Blue Jean stain from her BMW white seats I used Zanio Cleaner. It work great- she was surprised. It works on Leather, Vinyl or GM's faux "leather" they call Mulan.

The C8 Owner's Manual states you can use "cleaners" designed for the purpose and put on a rag, don't spray directly. OR you can follow the "Forum Experts" who say it's not needed. I've read that BS for years and find "cleaners" work and are better than soap and water. If you're going to worry get black! Your choice!
thatsmydog (10-10-2020)
Old 10-10-2020, 08:01 PM
Alea_Iacta_Est
Pro

Received 270 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob4092xx
Cleaners definitely work and do not harm the seats so long as you use something gentle. Zaino cleaner probably works good. I use Woolite at 20 to 1 with water. Just be sure no matter what you use that you wipe it off with a clean, fairly damp towel. You want to get all the cleaner residue off. As far as blue jean transfer, it is impossible to get all of it off. You will just have to live with some of it.
I like black interiors for the blue jeans reason. My wife's Jaguar with Ivory leather is a pain. It is the perforated leather which is a poor visual even brand new. Very hard to keep clean. An "aftermarket" product that has worked well for me is the Lexol CLEANER (NOT CONDITIONER) the cleaner is a mild PH corrected soap that you mix in water like you would Dawn dish soap. It is a good soap! Soap being the operative.

Last edited by Alea_Iacta_Est; 10-10-2020 at 08:06 PM.
thatsmydog (10-10-2020)
Old 10-10-2020, 09:55 PM
thatsmydog
Instructor

Received 94 Likes on 48 Posts

I'm not worried enough to get a black interior. Just not my thing. I wish the gray were a bit darker, or tan was offered on the 1LT, but I will just get the gray/white seats and buy some of this high quality soap you mention. Thanks for the advice!
Old 10-10-2020, 10:21 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,011 Likes on 2,891 Posts

Originally Posted by thatsmydog
Yes, it'll clean up with a neutral pH detergent. That's the price you pay for having a light colored interior. Lite Grey, Natural Dipped......they're both going to show staining & dirt like crazy. The C8 demo unit had Natural Dipped interior - and it was filthy. GM Employees didn't even care enough to clean it after each display session....

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 10-10-2020 at 10:22 PM.
Old 10-11-2020, 11:34 AM
Fritzep
Instructor

Received 113 Likes on 50 Posts

I have read on this forum and other places that some people are putting ceramic coating on their seats. One person with a Tesla and the white leather seats, swears by it. He said it made wiping up the blue dye from his denims pants easy.....

Quick Reply: Leather conditioning and protection