Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Actual owners of C7 Z06 move to C8 - thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2020, 05:02 AM
Mixedup
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Default Actual owners of C7 Z06 move to C8 - thoughts?

I searched and couldn't find much on the question - I've got a '19 C7 Z06 A8 and am thinking of going to a C8 ... who has already done that and what are your thoughts now of the C8 vs your C7 Z06?

Thanks in advance for anybody sharing their ACTUAL experiences.

Popular Reply

10-02-2020, 09:58 PM
Shinobi'sZ
Le Mans Master

Received 440 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Savoy2001
There are people who have done it. Those that hang here typically will tell you it is totally worth it. Ditch the old crusty c7 z. C8 rules in every which way and mages toast for you in the morning.
Those that hang here and say such things probably have never owned both cars and are not capable of making comparisons that have any true value...it does appear though that they read a bunch of magazines and watch videos. Although the C8 is a great leap for Corvette, the C8 Z51 Stingray is not better than a C7Z06 really other than anything than 0-60...and that can be debated based on whose driving a C7Z. Where the C8 attracts the most attention is in the looks department.

How do I know....it's simple see below. If the C8 was so much better than my C7Z I would sell mine in a heart beat. The thing is it's not. the C8 is great, and the Z51 feels very good on the track, the 0-60 is impressive...but about the same as my Tesla P3. If I had to sell my C7Z to buy a C8 I would not have done it, but I may consider selling my C8Z51 for the C8Z06.

Old 10-02-2020, 05:34 AM
Savoy2001
Melting Slicks

Received 2,477 Likes on 1,108 Posts

There are people who have done it. Those that hang here typically will tell you it is totally worth it. Ditch the old crusty c7 z. C8 rules in every which way and mages toast for you in the morning.

Those that mostly hang in the z06 forum will tell you don’t do it. C7 z still legendary and nothing else like it around for the money and a true corvette experience with fe etc. especially if you’re going for a m7.

Last edited by Savoy2001; 10-02-2020 at 05:34 AM.
Old 10-02-2020, 05:39 AM
cardude4
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a 2016 ZO6 A8 2lt coupe and moved to a 2020 C8 coupe z51 2lt mag ride front lift both car are great but the 2020 C8 is just a better car in every area except storage but I noticed your car is a vert so you wont have any issues with storage
Old 10-02-2020, 05:22 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

There are threads on the forum about it. The C7 Z is a sweet car. I mean 650 hp. But supposedly the C8 holds it’s own against it.
I almost bought a 2019 new Z06 while waiting for the 2022 Z06 but didn’t pull the trigger
Old 10-02-2020, 06:00 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,241 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Originally Posted by cardude4
I had a 2016 ZO6 A8 2lt coupe and moved to a 2020 C8 coupe z51 2lt mag ride front lift both car are great but the 2020 C8 is just a better car in every area except storage but I noticed your car is a vert so you wont have any issues with storage
This.

The C8 is the better car overall. Only thing the C7Z really has left as an advantage is the extra 150hp.

That's it. You put wheels and drop the C8, it'll look better than a C7Z. And a dropped C7Z looks incredible. The C8 looks better than that.

Plus a C8 will absolutely crush a C7Z from 0-100 or so. I think there was a video i saw a couple months back of a C8 being a C7Z 0-112 to be exact. I think it was 112 i may have to check. Either way it absolutely annihilated the C7Z.

Not bad for a base car!
Old 10-02-2020, 07:32 PM
DirtyZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

This is probably a sign that I'm old now, but for me it's not about absolute horsepower per se; I love my 2017 Z because while it's powerful, it also has a feel to it where if you want it to be, it can be absolutely ridiculous and absurd. The C8 is refined and awesome in a good way, but for me I like the car to have a bit of that raw edge to it as well. So I'm going to wait and see what the C8 Z06 is like. And of course, I'm also a token lifetime manual driver, and can't imagine dropping the M7, so we'll see how that goes as well.
Old 10-02-2020, 09:58 PM
Shinobi'sZ
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Savoy2001
Those that hang here and say such things probably have never owned both cars and are not capable of making comparisons that have any true value...it does appear though that they read a bunch of magazines and watch videos. Although the C8 is a great leap for Corvette, the C8 Z51 Stingray is not better than a C7Z06 really other than anything than 0-60...and that can be debated based on whose driving a C7Z. Where the C8 attracts the most attention is in the looks department.

How do I know....it's simple see below. If the C8 was so much better than my C7Z I would sell mine in a heart beat. The thing is it's not. the C8 is great, and the Z51 feels very good on the track, the 0-60 is impressive...but about the same as my Tesla P3. If I had to sell my C7Z to buy a C8 I would not have done it, but I may consider selling my C8Z51 for the C8Z06.

Last edited by Shinobi'sZ; 10-02-2020 at 10:02 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by Shinobi'sZ:
23/C8Z (10-03-2020), Afreeman13 (08-04-2022), Null Pointer (10-04-2020), Rock0720 (10-03-2020), Savoy2001 (10-03-2020), thebishman (10-03-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-02-2020, 10:13 PM
gbf_98070
Racer

Received 291 Likes on 109 Posts

650 hp is more than I need. It’s like going around with a loaded gun and feeling the big guy. Often I pass a truck and I’m going 130 as I’m abeam him. I don’t like the automatic transmission and the moment around the driver is uncomfortable with the mass at the extremes. I’ve seen some vicious spins from other C7 drivers although it’s never happened to me. That said I have loved the car and feel sad about selling it. It is a monster.
Old 10-03-2020, 05:32 AM
Savoy2001
Melting Slicks

Received 2,477 Likes on 1,108 Posts

Originally Posted by gbf_98070
650 hp is more than I need. It’s like going around with a loaded gun and feeling the big guy. Often I pass a truck and I’m going 130 as I’m abeam him. I don’t like the automatic transmission and the moment around the driver is uncomfortable with the mass at the extremes. I’ve seen some vicious spins from other C7 drivers although it’s never happened to me. That said I have loved the car and feel sad about selling it. It is a monster.
The car is only as vicious as you make it. Learn throttle control and the car is super civil or wild beast. That is up to the driver to control that and honestly is not hard.

Last edited by Savoy2001; 10-03-2020 at 05:33 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Savoy2001:
gbf_98070 (10-03-2020), Near Miss (10-03-2020)
Old 10-03-2020, 07:18 AM
jipper
Burning Brakes

Received 478 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by Shinobi'sZ

this is very intriguing to me...I bought a 17 z51 m7 last year with the thought of buying a 19z m7 in 2022....I just am stuggleing with going to an auto and I don’t track the car so as long as I am happy with the performance and know that I’m not going to get owned all day by Tesla’s then I’m ok.....for the c8 I’m just not there yet on the looks or being able to step away from a manual which worries me about staying in the brand long term

I had wanted a vette since I was 14 and now i am not sure I want the next one, but I would love the benefits of a mid engine car, just can’t get over the tranny and some of the looks right now. Cool to hear the z06 is pretty close in many respects if that’s the way I decide to go
Old 10-03-2020, 07:22 AM
90sundevil
Melting Slicks

Received 745 Likes on 379 Posts

I had a 2015 Z06 automatic and could not get rid of it fast enough, what a total garbage trans. I did buy another C7 but it was a 19 Grand Sport Z07 manual which I love, not only is it a manual but the last year of the manual tans in a Corvette. I thought about trading it in when I bought my C8 but decided it was a special car and kept it. The C8 is much better all around other than it is not a manual trans which I can accept because the dual clutch trans in the car is fantastic and is almost as good as the PDK in my Porsche Turbo S.

Last edited by 90sundevil; 10-03-2020 at 07:24 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Z0HS1CK (10-03-2020)
Old 10-03-2020, 07:29 AM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by 90sundevil
I had a 2015 Z06 automatic and could not get rid of it fast enough, what a total garbage trans. I did buy another C7 but it was a 19 Grand Sport Z07 manual which I love, not only is it a manual but the last year of the manual tans in a Corvette. I thought about trading it in when I bought my C8 but decided it was a special car and kept it. The C8 is much better all around other than it is not a manual trans which I can accept because the dual clutch trans in the car is fantastic and is almost as good as the PDK in my Porsche Turbo S

One of the best most accurate post in this section in a while.

A C8 and a turbo s?? Well i'm definitely jealous of you for sure dude. Congrats.

Last edited by Z0HS1CK; 10-03-2020 at 07:30 AM. Reason: putting the lollzzzzz here.....lollzzzzz
Old 10-03-2020, 08:02 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,768 Likes on 3,180 Posts

Originally Posted by Shinobi'sZ

I SCOURED the forum and couldn't remember who had these two PLUS a Tesla!! I am picking up a Model Y Performance today and was curious on your thoughts regarding the ICE v Electric.. i am going to hang on to my C7Z in the short term as i am #41 iirc on the list for a C8Z (whenever that is) from Mike Furman but i am so curious if driving the electric performance versions of Tesla will make me want to drive the ICE performance car less and less.. I'm obsessed with it. --- Does the Electric car get old after a while?

great stable of cars. living the dream. we should all be so blessed!!

OP - I had the opportunity to get a C8 instead of my C7Z and i passed on it. it was at MSRP early order i would have received the car within the first month they started to arrive. i kick myself for not doing it from purely a financial investment pov.. who'd a thought?? not me... but i think the question is how do you enjoy your C7Z? do you like to roll into it from speed? 40 50mph? up to what? where the C8 falls short is from a roll. it's not SLOW by any means but it is left in the dust by a C7Z from a roll.. like 10mph difference in the 1/4 or i looked into this a while back and the 100 to 150 time was maybe 4 seconds difference. even 60 to 130 is a couple of seconds.. that's the difference between a smile and a "ok". there are a few C8 owners that made this switch on youtube. one is this guy
https://www.youtube.com/c/RearWheelDrive/videos

he doesn't regret moving into the C8 but every time he is beyond any acceleration having to do with a standing start he compares it to his former C7Z and is visibly and verbally begging for more power. understandably.

then there's this guy who sold his C8 and is in the market for a C7Z or other car that is faster and fun as well as can be modified
this video shows you what a C8 owner who beats on his car v others thinks about driving a C7Z...
now this is the infamous video that a member here uses as the only race in history that will matter in a C8 v C7Z battle.. notice how hard the C7Z goes by the C8.. this race was the beginning to the end of this owner's fun with the car... (purely acceleration stand point - the final straw was an E85 GT mustang walking him on the highway)
here is a video this kid compares the pdr and dash timer to the dragy and is pretty confused. (specifically when comparing his 2.9 zero to 60 on his dash timer to the Dragy which showed an accurate time of 3.46 and and 3.24 with 1ft rollout - and that was on a -1.01% downgrade)

OP - if you just want to cruise around and enjoy a new generation of corvette. engage in that experience and better materials inside a new fresh look etc etc? the C8 is a no brainer. if the rush you get is from raw hp/tq? nothing this side of a ZR1's pricetag is better than the LT4 cars (2 seat sports car).

those videos above is why i stuck to my guns and am waiting for the C8Z... i know after the newness wore off and the look became more normal without oooooo ahhhhhs, i would miss the power on tap at all times the LT4 brings. it's TT fpc C8 or bust for me.

good luck. both are amazing cars. how can you really go wrong?

but if the C8 has another 100hp it would be the most amazing best of both worlds car out there.. maybe the C8Z will have 200 more and make all of us happier?

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 10-03-2020 at 08:08 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by 23/C8Z:
Savoy2001 (10-03-2020), Shinobi'sZ (10-03-2020), sidewinder77 (10-04-2020)
Old 10-03-2020, 08:48 AM
gbf_98070
Racer

Received 291 Likes on 109 Posts

I can control the throttle just fine. What I have a problem with is controlling MYSELF. I’ve exceeded 150 mph on multiple occasions. It didn’t happen because I lost control of the throttle, it happened because I was having too much fun.
sidewinder77 (10-04-2020)
Old 10-03-2020, 11:36 AM
Shinobi'sZ
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 19/C7Z
I SCOURED the forum and couldn't remember who had these two PLUS a Tesla!! I am picking up a Model Y Performance today and was curious on your thoughts regarding the ICE v Electric.. i am going to hang on to my C7Z in the short term as i am #41 iirc on the list for a C8Z (whenever that is) from Mike Furman but i am so curious if driving the electric performance versions of Tesla will make me want to drive the ICE performance car less and less.. I'm obsessed with it. --- Does the Electric car get old after a while?

great stable of cars. living the dream. we should all be so blessed!!

As for the EV getting old, sometimes it feels like it does then I go to drive it and realize how much I like the features. I just had the full self drive update performed. I purchased it when I bought the car but it wasn't available yet. Once it was available I got a message on my Tesla App. I set up an appointment, the Tesla tech drove to my house, installed the new computer, and left sending me a text when it was done. I never got off my Zoom meeting and the install was complete. Pretty cool.
Thanks buddy I'm in my early 50's and been working since I was 14 nothing really ever handed to me other the ability to get work which I do feel blessed for. All the stuff comes and goes. I have owned many different cars and am not a car snob...pretty much like all manufacturers efforts to make performance cars.

I have wanted a Corvette since I was 10 years old and couldn't start affording any until I was 30 years old...nothing but Pony Cars and bikes up until that point.

I still feel like my Tesla is as fast if not faster to 60 then my C8, and with the 2650 on my C7Z there is no contest. I take other Tesla (hardcore) owners that despise ICE cars in rides in both my C7 and C8 and they all love the C8 for the Tech.....nerds. lol.

The C8 is the first car I have owned where people stop in their tracks, take pics, stop by my garage (strangers), and give thumbs up no matter where I'm driving. With my other Vettes it's more like they don't want you to see them looking, with the C8 it's "yeah I'm looking" it's because the car looks great. The fact the C8 base model with the Z51 competes so well with other higher end cars is a testament to the engineering, something Corvettes since the C4 started to rise up again from the dismal 70'-80's.

I'm just going to be struggling when that Telsa Plaid comes out vs. waiting for a C8Z. I hope GM drops an EV motor in the front to help with acceleration and power but able to reduce GHG emissions at the same time. The EV cars are coming in full force and no amount of forced induction is going to fix it.

Congrats on the Y. I never and I mean never thought I was going to buy a Tesla...once I did I haven't had a regret about it. As for it getting old...not really just when I feel like it is I drive it and all of the features remind me how cool a car it is.

Last edited by Shinobi'sZ; 10-03-2020 at 11:47 AM.
Old 10-04-2020, 01:50 PM
Scianalytical
Heel & Toe

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i just got my elkhart lake blue C8 in after 15 months waiting,. traded my bad to the bone 2019 C7 Z06, shadow grey. Foe sure the Z06 is a mean machine. I was hesitant on trading it in towards the C8. the C8 is a different kind of driver, I think more usable power. The Z06 was just a Horse Power Monster. I miss it but no regrets as the days go by. The C8 is about as close as you can get to Supercar other than going out and spending $300,000. And the looks and attention you get from the public is pretty cool, Even Grandma is looking at this car when it goes by.

No Regrets!!!!!! .
Z0HS1CK (10-04-2020)
Old 10-04-2020, 03:03 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by Scianalytical
i just got my elkhart lake blue C8 in after 15 months waiting,. traded my bad to the bone 2019 C7 Z06, shadow grey. Foe sure the Z06 is a mean machine. I was hesitant on trading it in towards the C8. the C8 is a different kind of driver, I think more usable power. The Z06 was just a Horse Power Monster. I miss it but no regrets as the days go by. The C8 is about as close as you can get to Supercar other than going out and spending $300,000. And the looks and attention you get from the public is pretty cool, Even Grandma is looking at this car when it goes by.

No Regrets!!!!!! .
Well said!!!

Congrats on owning a C8 man! You have a lot of jealous people wanting one!

I'm one of them!! lol
Old 10-04-2020, 03:03 PM
CaryBob
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 345 Likes on 222 Posts

I traded a C7 manual Z06 on a C8 HTC and I’m ecstatic. The C8 is more comfortable, rides better, quicker on the street, feels more nimble, and has lots more cool technology. I wasn’t sure at first about giving up the horsepower, but the C8 is just so much better in so many ways.
Z0HS1CK (10-04-2020)
Old 10-04-2020, 03:17 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by CaryBob
I traded a C7 manual Z06 on a C8 HTC and I’m ecstatic. The C8 is more comfortable, rides better, quicker on the street, feels more nimble, and has lots more cool technology. I wasn’t sure at first about giving up the horsepower, but the C8 is just so much better in so many ways.
Nice!!

This is great news for future C8 owners!

Get notified of new replies

To Actual owners of C7 Z06 move to C8 - thoughts?

Quick Reply: Actual owners of C7 Z06 move to C8 - thoughts?