Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Potential deadly defect found in the C8

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2020, 01:29 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by Foosh
But what Jabcat failed to recognize is that both chainsaws and lawn mowers have also had new safety design features mandated over the years. On my zero-turn Kubota, if I don't engage the parking brake, shut off the blade, and rise from the seat, an engine kill switch swings into action.
I'm sure they do, but after awhile there's only so much you can do to prevent people from themselves.

Or the alternative is nothing, meaning, not even a knife can be produced or used. Yes, there are "safetys" that can be made, instituted, etc. but only up to the point where something is, or becomes basically inoperable or non-functioning. In some cases....

If the cutting blade on a chain saw is so guarded that there's no way you can cut off your leg or even cut your leg, it doesn't cut anything. Unless "we" (the designers, not me or you) begin putting in sensors all over the place that determines where the blades are relative to your body, recognizes a leg vs. a log, sees an arm and dead-switches the blade, etc.

OTOH a real handle on an inside door panel is doable. But that's called, back to the past, not the future.

Last edited by AORoads; 09-14-2020 at 01:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Foosh (09-14-2020)
Old 09-14-2020, 01:31 PM
RACE U
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Louisville Ky NCM Lifetime Member 429 (Member Since 1993)
Received 261 Likes on 182 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '16

Originally Posted by jimmyb
Sorry, but when the OP came up with this insanely overstated and dramatic thread, he set the standard and he got what he deserved.
And frankly, I doubt this happened in the first place.
And i am just sorry. You are one of the jerk corvette owners that porshe owners talk about. And if i get in trouble wirh rhe mods for making it personal, so be it. I have done nothing more personal than you did to the original poster, who is new to corvettes and this forum. So much for a HELPFUL forum community. He thought he was bringing up something legitimate (which it is if someone has died from not knowing where the energency handle is located (regardless of how stupid the guy was for not knowing and dying).
The following 2 users liked this post by RACE U:
cor28vettes (09-14-2020), Foosh (09-14-2020)
Old 09-14-2020, 01:32 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by mschuyler
And he has a PhD. He just forgot that part.
Phd. in everything, this Dude has more distinguished expert hats than you can count. Hilarious.
Bob A. (09-17-2020)
Old 09-14-2020, 01:56 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by RACE U
And i am just sorry. You are one of the jerk corvette owners that porshe owners talk about. And if i get in trouble wirh rhe mods for making it personal, so be it. I have done nothing more personal than you did to the original poster, who is new to corvettes and this forum. So much for a HELPFUL forum community. He thought he was bringing up something legitimate (which it is if someone has died from not knowing where the energency handle is located (regardless of how stupid the guy was for not knowing and dying).
There are many ways for the OP to state his case. The way he stated his was both overly dramatic and and childish. So, if you think I'm a jerk for calling him out for multiple reasons, so be it. Seriously..."potential deadly defect"? I have my doubts that it actually happened.
As far as the very sad story of the older gentleman and his dog, I have sympathy for his family, but in the end, his death was his fault. He was in a C6 coupe, with TWO ways out of the car (manual door release OR take the top out). He certainly shouldn't be dead.

PS. I realize that it's 2020 where NO ONE is responsible for themselves, but this thread is absolutely ridiculous and you know it. The guy sat in his car, in a garage, for 15 minutes and it DID NOT occur to him to:
Roll the window down and use the outside door handle?
Climb over to the passenger side and go out THAT door?
Pull the owners manual out of the glove box and look up "doors"?
Etc...

PSS. Had he NOT made this so freaking dramatic, he would not have gotten dramatic answers back. I wonder if he knew where the fire bottle trigger was in his "race" cars?
BTW, I owned THREE Corvettes with this system (2 C6's, 1 C7). NONE of my cars EVER had a door button do what he described. I have been a member here for 15 years and I have NEVER read of this happening.

Last edited by jimmyb; 09-14-2020 at 04:01 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jimmyb:
Bob A. (09-14-2020), Lacquer (09-14-2020)
Old 09-14-2020, 02:01 PM
crazycargirl
Instructor

Received 824 Likes on 128 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

you can always pop the top off if its a coupe
Bob A. (09-17-2020)
Old 09-14-2020, 02:07 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,104 Likes on 855 Posts

And i am just sorry. You are one of the jerk corvette owners that Porsche owners talk about. And if i get in trouble with the mods for making it personal, so be it. I have done nothing more personal than you did to the original poster, who is new to corvettes and this forum. So much for a HELPFUL forum community. He thought he was bringing up something legitimate (which it is if someone has died from not knowing where the emergency handle is located (regardless of how stupid the guy was for not knowing and dying).
Agree & beginning to wonder if I'll even conclude a 2021 purchase. All smiles @ delivery.

There appear to be a ton of grumpy old men with C8's. Some of these C8 threads are kinda like reading the Politics & Religion forum. I ain't no youngster @74 (as of yesterday) but I'm getting there. Will I join the crowd in 2021? Stay tuned.

Old 09-14-2020, 02:12 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,383 Likes on 2,070 Posts

LOL . . . Yep everyone carries a sharp knife with them wherever they go. And when a car is burning or filling up with water, there's so much time to act.
A lot of men I know do. Maybe you hang out with a less prepared crowd. And just because there is so little time to react when the car is filling with water or on fire that is why I carry a sharp knife, a combo seat belt cutter/glass breaker, and determine the methods for emergency egress. You would think a man as smart as you claim to be, would do the same. A smart person is prepared, other survive by luck. Luck favors the prepared.

Life is hard, some people die because they go through it blissfully ignorant. I feel sorry for them and their families.
The following 2 users liked this post by Racer X:
CorvetteBrent (09-15-2020), Steve_R (09-14-2020)
Old 09-14-2020, 02:21 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

He did bring up something legitimate, that people should familiarize themselves with their car, and know how to get out of it in an emergency. However he chose a style of delivery that completely obliterated any useful message. That communication failure is completely on him. As is panicking and being unable to get out of his car for 15minutes, instead of being rational and reaching over and reading his owners manual that was likely in the car with him. Pro race car drivers should not panic like that. Had he chosen to claim a lot of other careers, I might have been more understanding.
The following 4 users liked this post by Racer X:
Bob A. (09-14-2020), jimmyb (09-14-2020), Lacquer (09-14-2020), Steve_R (09-14-2020)
Old 09-14-2020, 02:25 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,669 Likes on 8,312 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer X
A lot of men I know do. Maybe you hang out with a less prepared crowd. And just because there is so little time to react when the car is filling with water or on fire that is why I carry a sharp knife, a combo seat belt cutter/glass breaker, and determine the methods for emergency egress. You would think a man as smart as you claim to be, would do the same. A smart person is prepared, other survive by luck. Luck favors the prepared.

Life is hard, some people die because they go through it blissfully ignorant. I feel sorry for them and their families.
I said nothing about what I do to be prepared, yet you leap to erroneous conclusions knowing nothing about me. All of my remarks relate to the state of human nature and human factors engineering design principles, and I've been focused upon safety matters my entire professional career in many different venues.

Rest assured I am well prepared for almost any eventuality, and I am very familiar with all of my own equipment.

Last edited by Foosh; 09-14-2020 at 02:35 PM.
CorvetteBrent (09-15-2020)
Old 09-14-2020, 02:34 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,123 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by B-Myster
The electronic door button in the corvette has been around since the 2005 C6 along with a manual release so this isn't something new to the C8. Read the manual and relax.
Bingo!! Nothing new here. Been this way when the mechanical opening mechanism was eliminated starting with the first C6 in favor of an electrical solenoid to save weight. Reading the Owners Manual is Fundamental.
Old 09-14-2020, 02:40 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Yep, a lot of dumb designs hang around for years, and folks live with and accept them. It's not about solenoids. The same 3 gens you speak of still have a mechanical release.

Last edited by Foosh; 09-14-2020 at 02:43 PM.
Old 09-14-2020, 02:50 PM
Phil1098
Race Director

Received 11,628 Likes on 4,652 Posts

Originally Posted by GOLD72
Bingo!! Nothing new here. Been this way when the mechanical opening mechanism was eliminated starting with the first C6 in favor of an electrical solenoid to save weight. Reading the Owners Manual is Fundamental.
Just because something has been done a certain way (and by no one else) doesn't make it normal or intuitive. There are lots of first time Corvette owners with this car and there are guys like me who thought they were done with Corvette years ago, but have come back. I hadn't been in a C6 or a C7 so the door open button without a door handle was new to me. I was ignorant of the button, that's OK, by definition ignorance is a lack of knowledge and so when something is done completely different and you've never seen it or knew of it, the knowledge doesn't come in by osmosis. When I was shown all the controls, it's fine and I didn't need to be shown twice, but it isn't an automotive norm either. I agree one should always look at the owners manual, but a proper delivery should be provided by the selling dealer too. Kind of reminds me of 30 years ago throwing the keys to a Saab to someone that never owned one and ask them to move the car. Ten minutes later they still couldn't find the ignition switch.
Old 09-14-2020, 02:52 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

I said nothing about what I do to be prepared, yet you leap to erroneous conclusions knowing nothing about me. All of my remarks relate to the state of human nature and human factors engineering design principles, and I've been focused upon safety matters my entire professional career in many different venues.

Rest assured I am well prepared for almost any eventuality, and I am very familiar with all of my own equipment.
Great so really you are not worried about you self, because you have enough sense to prepare yourself.

You worry about it because it is your profession to save people from themselves because they don't care enough or are too lazy, or ignorant to save themselves. Not too stupid, because really anyone capable of getting a driver's license is "smart" enough to learn it. So really you are saying it is partly your fault that people are getting less and less capable of taking care of themselves. Your are one of the people that is pushing us towards the world of "Idiocracy".

You are in the business of making excuses for people. I don't have the desire to protect people that don't care enough themselves, to learn. My job is to protect my family , and maybe my friends, not strangers that don't want to protect themselves from the most basic aspects of life. I won't make excuses for them either. With you, it is always someone else's fault.
The following 3 users liked this post by Racer X:
Bob A. (09-14-2020), skank (09-16-2020), Steve_R (09-14-2020)
Old 09-14-2020, 03:09 PM
Eppieguy
Melting Slicks

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Since the car doesn't meet your standards I'll be happy to take it off your hands, I'll come by with 10k and take the heap off your hands.
Old 09-14-2020, 03:10 PM
Bob A.
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SG_Ret
A little perspective here. The guy posted something he thought was worth mentioning. Certainly, if he'd read the manual, he would have known about the emergency door release. Likely something that wasn't mentioned by the dealership when the car was delivered. (and it should have been), When I took deliver of my BMW they covered the safety trunk release... I know when I picked up my 2015 C7, that was never covered, yet they told me about ONStar and my Navigation system. Also tried to sell me wheel and tore insurance. On my drive home, if I had gotten into a accident and my electronics failed, I'd likely be wondering how the hell to get out of the car too.

Okay, so shame of the OP for not reading his manual. Double shame on the dealership for not covering the emergency door pull.

No need to get nasty on the forum. A simple reference to the owners manual about the door emergency pull and issue is resolved. GM may need to look at the door release button if it has a tendency to jam and stick.

Nuff said..............
I think the issue amongst many was how dramatic he was when he says “potentially deadly”!
jimmyb (09-14-2020)
Old 09-14-2020, 03:19 PM
Bob A.
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
Sorry, Bob, I disagree. In his post #1, "I tried many different methods to get the door to open but failed." He doesn't talk about the GM reminders until post #16 as you said, but that's AFTER posts stating/mentioning "the handle" in posts # 6, 9, 10, 13, and 14.
Sorry AORoads, I also disagree with you! Yes, the handles are mentioned, but he makes it seem that he previously knew about GM’s warnings to folks about those handles. I think you need to reread the comments, then maybe you’ll see what I’m saying!
Old 09-14-2020, 03:27 PM
dio55
Racer

Received 190 Likes on 62 Posts

Did you also forget the roof come off FROM THE INSIDE ....
Lacquer (09-14-2020)

Get notified of new replies

To Potential deadly defect found in the C8

Old 09-14-2020, 03:38 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Racer X
Great so really you are not worried about you self, because you have enough sense to prepare yourself.

You worry about it because it is your profession to save people from themselves because they don't care enough or are too lazy, or ignorant to save themselves. Not too stupid, because really anyone capable of getting a driver's license is "smart" enough to learn it. So really you are saying it is partly your fault that people are getting less and less capable of taking care of themselves. Your are one of the people that is pushing us towards the world of "Idiocracy".

You are in the business of making excuses for people. I don't have the desire to protect people that don't care enough themselves, to learn. My job is to protect my family , and maybe my friends, not strangers that don't want to protect themselves from the most basic aspects of life. I won't make excuses for them either. With you, it is always someone else's fault.
Wow, that's a bizarre perspective and exercise in contorted logic. Human factors design isn't about making excuses for anyone, especially when a more human error-tolerant design is generally not more costly. It is a way of thinking that was largely absent in the past from engineering school curricula, but it has now become much more mainstream.

It was also analogous to the old Apple v. Microsoft design approaches, but the latter moved more toward Apple for competitive reasons.

Last edited by Foosh; 09-14-2020 at 03:54 PM.
Old 09-14-2020, 03:46 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Phil1098
Just because something has been done a certain way (and by no one else) doesn't make it normal or intuitive. There are lots of first time Corvette owners with this car and there are guys like me who thought they were done with Corvette years ago, but have come back. I hadn't been in a C6 or a C7 so the door open button without a door handle was new to me. I was ignorant of the button, that's OK, by definition ignorance is a lack of knowledge and so when something is done completely different and you've never seen it or knew of it, the knowledge doesn't come in by osmosis. When I was shown all the controls, it's fine and I didn't need to be shown twice, but it isn't an automotive norm either. I agree one should always look at the owners manual, but a proper delivery should be provided by the selling dealer too. Kind of reminds me of 30 years ago throwing the keys to a Saab to someone that never owned one and ask them to move the car. Ten minutes later they still couldn't find the ignition switch.
LOL, that exact thing happened to me, when my neighbor dropped off his keys, and asked me to test drive his Saab 900 Turbo to see if something he was concerned about was normal. I had to call him to find the ignition.

Last edited by Foosh; 09-14-2020 at 03:47 PM.
Old 09-14-2020, 04:04 PM
jmaci
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Everybody is being way to critical of this guy. You are forgetting he was in the garage when lock in his car...that make it 10x worse!!!

Quick Reply: Potential deadly defect found in the C8