Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 vs F8

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2020, 09:12 AM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

Originally Posted by sprayer
Yes it looks pretty ordinary, not to mention my house gutters have a better paint job than the C8 as I don't have any flaking issues.
All previous gen corvettes look better design wise. The C8 in terms of design and looks is a total abomination. They turned an icon of a car into a turd looks wise.
The headlight bulge from the profile picture looks like a frog with its eyes popping out.

WIth that one post, you show...(You just got added to the ignore list, with a lot of people from the PRC section... enjoy your life. goodbye).
Old 09-10-2020, 09:42 AM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 9,008 Likes on 4,335 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

Somebody needs to get on the phone to Ferrari & let them know they put outdated round tail lights on their car, what were they thinking

The Ferrari is simply a work of art. Every aspect of the design flows together to form a stunning vehicle. Regardless of price, the design of the C8 is not cohesive and doesn’t flow together to create a better whole. It looks ok from certain angles, but from others it’s just awful.

Now that C8 in the video with the aftermarket spoiler, wheels & being lowered does look better than the standard C8, but the side scoop/beak on the door is simply ugly & looks like an afterthought.

I also admit that I don’t really care for any Base/Stingray of any generation as to me they always look like they’re almost there, but too plain. The C6 was the last generation where the design truly flowed together cohesively. Once they started throwing in angles on the C7, it started looking more hodge podged together & got worse on the C8 Stingray. Interestingly, the clay model of the C8 that was shown in some of GMs videos did actually look good and have proportions that flowed. Why they didn’t go with that, who knows

Remember everyone loved the C4 when it debuted & the Corvette faithful jumped at the chance to purchase one (51.5k produced in the first year), but now I don’t ever see anyone saying they are dying to pick up an ‘84. The same thing here, it’s new, it’s different, it’s “the best ever” & anyone that says anything to the contrary is labeled a “hater” (my middle-schoolers don’t even use that term anymore btw).

Really hoping for a C8.R-looking Z06
The following 3 users liked this post by JABCAT:
blb078 (09-10-2020), NytmereZ (09-10-2020), Rock0720 (09-10-2020)
Old 09-10-2020, 09:55 AM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 750 Likes on 432 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

710 hp vs. 495 hp. Why would anyone be shocked?

Old 09-10-2020, 10:33 AM
TxLefty
Le Mans Master

Received 900 Likes on 583 Posts

Originally Posted by Z0HS1CK
An na fpc will still put a c8z in supercar category. A tt fpc, which I doubt, will only enhance those credentials.

the older vettes were good, just not great. Too flawed. C7 zr1 is close but the manual stops it and the auto is just straight garbage. So that's why it's not a supercar.

c8 stingray is close but too mild to be an actual supercar. Even though it destroys already. Especially from a dig. A c8z will fix all these problems.
No, sorry, it still won't be a supercar. lol
The following 3 users liked this post by TxLefty:
B747VET (09-11-2020), NytmereZ (09-10-2020), Rock0720 (09-10-2020)
Old 09-10-2020, 11:19 AM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,312 Likes on 2,225 Posts

Originally Posted by TxLefty
No, sorry, it still won't be a supercar. lol
All info about it suggest otherwise. But even though it's a matter of opinion, the c8 variants will surely be as much as a supercar than ever before, at least in comparison to previous corvettes lol. Previous ones weren't close. Except maybe the c7 zr1. But even then that was flawed big time.
Old 09-10-2020, 01:20 PM
saleentim
Burning Brakes

Received 243 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by blb078
Didn't see this posted so feel free delete if it has been. Starts at about 6:30, might want to brace yourselves...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Lxt6PEMHy4
Wow.. and beauty and a beast. That thing moves out!

In a very different way than the C8.

But yes, these 2 cars should not be compared in any way.

Old 09-10-2020, 01:30 PM
saleentim
Burning Brakes

Received 243 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by rrsperry
Well, since I'm not ever going to be able to afford a F8, (and I really wouldn't want to if I could...) I'll settle for a C8... I'll bet you that the C8 is better for most things than the F8 is... (utility, comfort, cost and ease of maintenance, repair cost crash repair, insurance...-) Easily 90% of the performance at less than 1/3d the cost...
That's something a poor person says.

Originally Posted by Phil1098
Not much of a surprise, the very fact it is compared at all to most exotic ME cars is a win in my eyes.
It's not being compared here.. It's just being embarrassed. Very big difference.

the c8z will be GM's first supercar. All previous corvettes couldn't make the cut. C8 stingray is close. But c7 and prior, nope.
Wrong as usual.

Originally Posted by punky
Really?
This is ugly in your mind?
Yes, it is ugly and this picture looks nothing like the car in real life. Nothing flows and the rear end is horrendous. Looking directly from the front you'd think it was great, then when you look anywhere else, it is garbage.

All info about it suggest otherwise. But even though it's a matter of opinion, the c8 variants will surely be as much as a supercar than ever before, at least in comparison to previous corvettes lol. Previous ones weren't close. Except maybe the c7 zr1. But even then that was flawed big time.
Your definition of super car has changed with the wind on this forum. No, this corvette is not anywhere near a super car. People would take your opinions a little more seriously if they weren't so nut hugging and biased.

Last edited by saleentim; 09-10-2020 at 01:30 PM.
The following 9 users liked this post by saleentim:
23/C8Z (09-10-2020), B747VET (09-15-2020), chubbs6350 (09-10-2020), ClydeFrog (09-10-2020), golddog (09-10-2020), NFARVW (09-11-2020), Rock0720 (09-10-2020), Sub Driver (09-10-2020), TxLefty (09-10-2020) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-10-2020, 02:43 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,389 Likes on 2,075 Posts

Originally Posted by saleentim
That's something a poor person says.

Anyone that can afford a new base Corvette is not "poor" based on any objective measure. It would put them in the top 1% globally in income. You have a very warped sense of what being poor really is. People who can afford an F8 are very wealthy compared to the rest of the world.
The following 2 users liked this post by Racer X:
ArmchairArchitect (09-11-2020), Z0HS1CK (09-10-2020)
Old 09-10-2020, 03:06 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by Racer X
Anyone that can afford a new base Corvette is not "poor" based on any objective measure. It would put them in the top 1% globally in income. You have a very warped sense of what being poor really is. People who can afford an F8 are very wealthy compared to the rest of the world.
Which is ironic because all the *** backwards comments are coming from c6 owners lol.

Haha get with the ******* program. Making fun of a new high tech Corvette and you're driving the old **** lmaoooooo
Old 09-10-2020, 03:30 PM
golddog
Melting Slicks

Received 2,902 Likes on 993 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10,'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

^^^ Why do you have to end every one of your sentences with lol??? OMG every post!! WTF.

Last edited by golddog; 09-10-2020 at 03:31 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by golddog:
23/C8Z (09-10-2020), B747VET (09-11-2020)
Old 09-10-2020, 03:36 PM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Originally Posted by golddog
^^^ Why do you have to end every one of your sentences with lol??? OMG every post!! WTF.
Maybe the beta thinks typing like a 14 year old girl helps add some credibility and proves him right.
The following 3 users liked this post by Sub Driver:
23/C8Z (09-10-2020), B747VET (09-15-2020), golddog (09-10-2020)
Old 09-10-2020, 03:46 PM
chubbs6350
Burning Brakes

Received 833 Likes on 369 Posts

Which is ironic because all the *** backwards comments are coming from c6 owners lol.

Haha get with the ******* program. Making fun of a new high tech Corvette and you're driving the old **** lmaoooooo
Usually when people talk like you they own nothing, I'm willing to bet quite a bit of money that you don't own a c7 Z06.
The following 2 users liked this post by chubbs6350:
golddog (09-10-2020), JABCAT (09-10-2020)
Old 09-10-2020, 05:13 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 9,008 Likes on 4,335 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by chubbs6350
Usually when people talk like you they own nothing, I'm willing to bet quite a bit of money that you don't own a c7 Z06.
In every post he shows he knows absolutely nothing about Corvettes, the history of Corvettes (i.e. each new gen is always compared to higher cost exotics), constantly bashes on C6s & C7s yet supposedly owns a C7Z. Doesn’t realize that some of the “old sh*t” is still more desired & valuable than the brand new stuff. And yes, has the intellectual capacity of a 14-year old. An easy choice for the blocked list
The following 4 users liked this post by JABCAT:
chubbs6350 (09-10-2020), golddog (09-10-2020), NytmereZ (09-14-2020), sprayer (09-11-2020)
Old 09-10-2020, 05:50 PM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Received 1,351 Likes on 906 Posts

He's either a C7Z owner or a C6Z owner. That's probably why lol

Time will make those cars obsolete. The real machines are coming
I'm sure a lot of people would love to have an obsolete 57 Fuelie or 63-67 Stingray.

Performance is one measure, but pure beauty in the lines is another thing. Ferrari designers know everything must work together. Not the design by committee that GM had on the Stingray. It looks like a bunch of mongoloids were given the task of designing it. One group on square design, another two on rectagles, a few more on trapezoids. And they just threw them all together. It's just trying way to hard to be something it can't ever be. Look at how many people are waiting for the Z06 and hoping that it takes care of some of the horrible lines and aspects.
The following 3 users liked this post by ChumpVette:
23/C8Z (09-10-2020), B747VET (09-15-2020), sprayer (09-11-2020)
Old 09-10-2020, 05:51 PM
OKsweetrides
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Let's be real, there is an extremely small subset of buyers cross shopping a C8 or F8. I love driving the 488S, and the F8 is the next iteration of that line and it's at a competitively great price for what it is, and it's far an away more comfortable than the C8. Ferrari dealership are *infinitely* more customer friendly than GM could ever hope for. The C8, and the C8Z will still cost less than a year or two's of depreciation on a new ME Fcar, but that's not why I like the F car more or, like it less.

GM has done well, and it's a 99% solution to 95% of buyers. The previous generations (excluding the manual trans C7 ZR1) will depreciate as they are obsolete in all forms. There's no last-of-breed, no special exotic nature to differentiate. Case in point; my RFZ06 lost half, but who cares? I liked the looks. Then GM made arctic white available to the masses and it lost it's luster. If you are buying a car to penny pinch, you can't afford it. GM's job is to churn their factories as hard as possible, exotics don't have that mission.
Curiously; I do know people who got tired of waiting for their C8 and picked up low miles 488's an new Hcans. Are they hating the c8? No, it's simply they recognize a good value. They'll snag one after the production gets back up. That kind of buyer is not cross shopping; they want the hardware, the experience, the emotion. That benefits the brand and the spirit.

And if I care about track times, I won't choose any of them. There are far superior options out there if I want to chase laptimes that unless the cars on factory invite lists, I can post better times for far cheaper. But wait! I can hear the naysayers b***h about how it's not like to like. Pray tell, how many track boogers your car has ever had? Bench-racers are broke-racers, and broke-racers don't drive. So for the here and now, and those that drive; it goes to simply which experience do you prefer more? The C8 is great, and I think it's got some funky aesthetic, but it's hard to knock the intrinsic value for what it is. *NOT* what it is hyped to be. Not saying it's a world beater. But it's a damn good startin' point. I'm not offended it's compared to the 458, which I sure as hell hope the Z06 takes the head off of, or even the turbo twins: 488/F8;. It doesn't get my panties in a twist. On a mechanicals basis, if GM does do the flat plane V8 for the Z06 and keeps it nat asp; it'll be the absolute swan song of that breed of car.

Racer X summed it up succinctly: If you want to keep time perfectly, get a Timex. That adage is on point.

Last edited by OKsweetrides; 09-10-2020 at 06:12 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by OKsweetrides:
4thC4at60 (09-11-2020), NytmereZ (09-10-2020), skank (09-10-2020)
Old 09-10-2020, 06:19 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by ChumpVette
I'm sure a lot of people would love to have an obsolete 57 Fuelie or 63-67 Stingray.

Performance is one measure, but pure beauty in the lines is another thing. Ferrari designers know everything must work together. Not the design by committee that GM had on the Stingray. It looks like a bunch of mongoloids were given the task of designing it. One group on square design, another two on rectagles, a few more on trapezoids. And they just threw them all together. It's just trying way to hard to be something it can't ever be. Look at how many people are waiting for the Z06 and hoping that it takes care of some of the horrible lines and aspects.
I would bet more people would want a modern day corvette over the old stuff.

Btw, why are you quoting me and talking about ferrari vs the C8? Any person with a brain will choose a ferrari 10 times out of 10 over a corvette. Yes even whatever the C8Z looks like and whatever is powering it, i would choose a ferrari. It's a no brainer.

But you're clearly missing the point.

The C8 we have now is a BASE.

Look at the C6 BASE. Look at the C7 BASE. The C8 looks better than both the C6 and C7. C7 looks "OK" in stingray form. The C6 is just too god damn old and not good looking anymore. Even the C6Z/ZR. They're just old styling.

I don't look at those cars and think, "yeah maybe someday i'll own another C6". No, never. It doesn't appeal to me at all. The **** is old. I don't even look at C6's on the road when in my Z. I make sure my head isn't facing their direction because i want them to know i think a C7 is better than a C6 . Regardless if it's dropped, with awesome looking wheels, has 1000rwhp. Bulletproof engine and trans. Featured in a **** ton of magazines. Has models putting their sweaty *** *** on the seats for the photoshoots, no i don't think a C6 looks good at all anymore. IT was the reason why i upgraded from a C6 to a C7Z in less than 2 years. When i originally had planned on a 4 year run with the C6 at least. I was about to do a procharger on my C6 until i said **** this, i rather get a better corvette. Newer looking, recent gen, fresh warranty, faster, looks better etc.

Old 09-10-2020, 08:22 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Hold on bro.... like I’ve said numerous times, I love the C8, but aside from the engine being put in the back.... what makes the C8 so high tech? It’s a warmed over LT1 from the C7.... still pushrod like every other corvette in history(sans c4 LT5) don’t say the tranny... DCT should have been put in years ago and is not new tech. also if you are the true car guy that you say you are, why are you ragging on previous models? I’m a car guy that has owned or do own multiple vettes, vipers, mustangs, and camaros, I never dog another brand or model, they all have cool things about them. The C6 ZR1 is still the best Vette I have ever owned to date
The following users liked this post:
golddog (09-11-2020)

Get notified of new replies

To C8 vs F8

Old 09-10-2020, 08:29 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by OKsweetrides
Let's be real, there is an extremely small subset of buyers cross shopping a C8 or F8. I love driving the 488S, and the F8 is the next iteration of that line and it's at a competitively great price for what it is, and it's far an away more comfortable than the C8. Ferrari dealership are *infinitely* more customer friendly than GM could ever hope for. The C8, and the C8Z will still cost less than a year or two's of depreciation on a new ME Fcar, but that's not why I like the F car more or, like it less.

GM has done well, and it's a 99% solution to 95% of buyers. The previous generations (excluding the manual trans C7 ZR1) will depreciate as they are obsolete in all forms. There's no last-of-breed, no special exotic nature to differentiate. Case in point; my RFZ06 lost half, but who cares? I liked the looks. Then GM made arctic white available to the masses and it lost it's luster. If you are buying a car to penny pinch, you can't afford it. GM's job is to churn their factories as hard as possible, exotics don't have that mission.
Curiously; I do know people who got tired of waiting for their C8 and picked up low miles 488's an new Hcans. Are they hating the c8? No, it's simply they recognize a good value. They'll snag one after the production gets back up. That kind of buyer is not cross shopping; they want the hardware, the experience, the emotion. That benefits the brand and the spirit.

And if I care about track times, I won't choose any of them. There are far superior options out there if I want to chase laptimes that unless the cars on factory invite lists, I can post better times for far cheaper. But wait! I can hear the naysayers b***h about how it's not like to like. Pray tell, how many track boogers your car has ever had? Bench-racers are broke-racers, and broke-racers don't drive. So for the here and now, and those that drive; it goes to simply which experience do you prefer more? The C8 is great, and I think it's got some funky aesthetic, but it's hard to knock the intrinsic value for what it is. *NOT* what it is hyped to be. Not saying it's a world beater. But it's a damn good startin' point. I'm not offended it's compared to the 458, which I sure as hell hope the Z06 takes the head off of, or even the turbo twins: 488/F8;. It doesn't get my panties in a twist. On a mechanicals basis, if GM does do the flat plane V8 for the Z06 and keeps it nat asp; it'll be the absolute swan song of that breed of car.

Racer X summed it up succinctly: If you want to keep time perfectly, get a Timex. That adage is on point.

**** timex

Last edited by NytmereZ; 09-10-2020 at 08:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
4thC4at60 (09-11-2020)
Old 09-10-2020, 08:30 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by NytmereZ
Hold on bro.... like I’ve said numerous times, I love the C8, but aside from the engine being put in the back.... what makes the C8 so high tech? It’s a warmed over LT1 from the C7.... still pushrod like every other corvette in history(sans c4 LT5) don’t say the tranny... DCT should have been put in years ago and is not new tech. also if you are the true car guy that you say you are, why are you ragging on previous models? I’m a car guy that has owned or do own multiple vettes, vipers, mustangs, and camaros, I never dog another brand or model, they all have cool things about them. The C6 ZR1 is still the best Vette I have ever owned to date
What makes the C8 not high tech in relation to previous corvettes?

New infotainment, better gauge cluster, the DCT, the natural design of the mid engine. Everything is one up. Hell even when you pop the "trunk" to show off the engine it still looks more aesthetic than popping the hood on previous corvettes. The C8 engine bay looks like art when previous corvettes, it's just engine.

And everyone has their own opinion on what a car guy is. Some people think if you own a manual car you're a car guy. Some people think if you work on your own car you're a car guy. I like cars. Doesn't mean i have to like EVERY SINGLE CAR on the road. Do i have to like ford fiestas too in order to be qualified as a "car guy"?

If i was talking **** about a car i never owned, that's one thing, which some people here do. But i have owned a C5, i owned a C6, i still own my C7Z. I use them, abuse them, trade/sell them, and move on to the next best thing.

Like i said before i'm not a corvette enthusiast. If the C8 debut sucked, i would've moved on. I wouldn't even be here typing. I would have traded my C7Z probably last summer or last winter for a hellcat, GTR, something AMG etc.

But the C8 stingray is so impressive, i wanna stick around for what comes next. If it's not going to be realistic of me having a C8 variant at least in 3 years, i'll upgrade to the C8 stingray from my C7Z. UPGRADE to the C8 stingray. And i can patiently wait for the C8Z.

And the C6ZR isn't the greatest IMHO. you may think so. Of course the C6 guys will think so. I don't.

The C6ZR, i said it here numerous times, has the BEST engine GM put out in a factory corvette. I did also say the C6ZR sounded the BEST in stock form.

But so far the very best corvette CURRENTLY is the C7 ZR1. But i still wouldn't want to own one. Because the new stuff is here/coming soon anyway. I like new stuff.
Old 09-10-2020, 08:35 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by NytmereZ
**** timex
Soooooo many beautiful Swiss watches like Breitling etc. Why would anyone buy that albatross?