Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Only ONE track focused car in the C8 lineup?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2020, 02:14 PM
New car dude
Drifting

Received 514 Likes on 344 Posts
Default Only ONE track focused car in the C8 lineup?

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2020/08/no-the-corvette-c8-z06-will-not-have-a-twin-turbo-v8-video/ I believe this article about sums up the future variants in the C8 lineup. DO NOT count on the ZR1 or Zora to meet track day needs, and there is a MAJOR reason the Z06 is being benchmarked against a 991 GT2RS. That reason might be ULTIMATE track performance from the C8 series. Dont look at strictly hp numbers for track cars either. The ZR1 and Zora are to be luxury point and shoot GT cars, according to this article. I believe GM authority is right on the money this time out.

Popular Reply

08-31-2020, 08:49 PM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

I’m going to stir the pot.. if you are driving your car to the track, you will never be as fast. In the back of your lizard brain, you know you’ll have to walk home if you screw up. And to be fast, you have to be willing to wad the car up. Back when I was racing, guys would ask me to drive and evaluate their cars. I had two questions. Is your ego going to be hurt, if I’m 2 seconds faster than you are? Who pays for it if I wad it... if I had to pay, I was way more cautious. I’d give them my opinion, based on what I felt, but there was always more left. (Never wadded one, but did get a few dirty...lol)

Anyway, buy a real track car. A single seat F2000, or Mazda... more fun too..
Old 08-31-2020, 05:13 PM
jcp911s
Melting Slicks

Received 1,583 Likes on 795 Posts

Originally Posted by New car dude
https://gmauthority.com/blog/2020/08/no-the-corvette-c8-z06-will-not-have-a-twin-turbo-v8-video/ I believe this article about sums up the future variants in the C8 lineup. DO NOT count on the ZR1 or Zora to meet track day needs, and there is a MAJOR reason the Z06 is being benchmarked against a 991 GT2RS. That reason might be ULTIMATE track performance from the C8 series. Dont look at strictly hp numbers for track cars either. The ZR1 and Zora are to be luxury point and shoot GT cars, according to this article. I believe GM authority is right on the money this time out.
Yes, but are they available at Costco?
The following 2 users liked this post by jcp911s:
Corvette310 (09-01-2020), mikemote (09-01-2020)
Old 08-31-2020, 08:49 PM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

I’m going to stir the pot.. if you are driving your car to the track, you will never be as fast. In the back of your lizard brain, you know you’ll have to walk home if you screw up. And to be fast, you have to be willing to wad the car up. Back when I was racing, guys would ask me to drive and evaluate their cars. I had two questions. Is your ego going to be hurt, if I’m 2 seconds faster than you are? Who pays for it if I wad it... if I had to pay, I was way more cautious. I’d give them my opinion, based on what I felt, but there was always more left. (Never wadded one, but did get a few dirty...lol)

The following 6 users liked this post by rrsperry:
Corvette310 (09-01-2020), Foosh (09-02-2020), Me Hole (09-02-2020), Racingswh (09-01-2020), Tonycan (09-02-2020), Vernon (09-02-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-31-2020, 09:54 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,978 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Originally Posted by rrsperry

True Dat

multi purpose machines are never as good as dedicated machines.
Old 08-31-2020, 10:04 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,768 Likes on 3,180 Posts

Default Just an observation. I'd love for someone to point out any flaws with this one.

can't wait. Should sell better than the last Z28! (Sarcasm)

Or maybe the 1LE ZL1! (Again sarcasm).

Who knows maybe the corvette faithful will feel different this time? I mean the FRC didn't sell. And birthed the Z06 which did but....? it needed to be tamed so more and more creature comforts and HP (C6Z) and boom. Big fat pig (C7Z) with tons of power but they sold a ***** ton of em. Convertibles too. Z07 OPTION CONVERTIBLES!

gotta get over it. Z06 IS NOT GOING hard-core racer. Great dream though (even though they wouldn't sell enough to make the investment worth it because we have about 50 C7Z06 or ZR1 drivers combined that actually track it.. the other 7000 take it once in a blue moon or never and want the comforts (even though they swear they could do without them lmao)

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 08-31-2020 at 10:06 PM.
Old 08-31-2020, 11:45 PM
YLWFVR75
Le Mans Master

Received 189 Likes on 91 Posts
SE Michigan Coordinator
CI 3, 4, 5, 6, 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'11,-'13-'14-'15
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Unfortunately a lot of people will buy the Z06 just to impress others. Will never see a track but will be regularly seen at the local Culver's ice cream cruise night for the early bird dinner specials.
The following 4 users liked this post by YLWFVR75:
23/C8Z (09-01-2020), CorvetteBrent (03-18-2021), dcarr (09-01-2020), mikemote (09-01-2020)
Old 09-01-2020, 08:07 AM
New car dude
Drifting

Originally Posted by 19/C7Z

Who knows maybe the corvette faithful will feel different this time? I mean the FRC didn't sell. And birthed the Z06 which did but....? it needed to be tamed so more and more creature comforts and HP (C6Z) and boom. Big fat pig (C7Z) with tons of power but they sold a ***** ton of em. Convertibles too. Z07 OPTION CONVERTIBLES!

gotta get over it. Z06 IS NOT GOING hard-core racer. Great dream though (even though they wouldn't sell enough to make the investment worth it because we have about 50 C7Z06 or ZR1 drivers combined that actually track it.. the other 7000 take it once in a blue moon or never and want the comforts (even though they swear they could do without them lmao)
Hate to break the news to you, but yes the Z06 is most likely going to be the MOST hardcore track car offered at ANY time in corvettes history including the possibility of MULTIMATIC suspension like the Camaros used. Benchmarking will tell you that a GT2RS is barely a road car to begin with. All reports say the same thing as well with advanced AERO for anything but putting around and checking out scenery.
The following 2 users liked this post by New car dude:
CorsoZ06 (09-01-2020), ZRacerLE (09-02-2020)
Old 09-01-2020, 08:58 AM
CorsoZ06
Pro

Received 245 Likes on 123 Posts

....the Z06 is most likely going to be the MOST hardcore track car offered at ANY time in corvettes history.... Benchmarking will tell you that a GT2RS is barely a road car to begin with. All reports say the same thing as well with advanced AERO for anything but putting around and checking out scenery.
Anything less would be a disappointment. I hope the options list is very limited as well. Less is more on the Z06.
The following 2 users liked this post by CorsoZ06:
Basil2000 (09-02-2020), ZRacerLE (09-02-2020)
Old 09-02-2020, 12:37 AM
Sean2000C5
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed the Z06 doesn’t need to be more than a track focused piece but will be interesting to see how Chevy plays it and if they offer a package that helps cut weight and improve performance within the model.
Old 09-02-2020, 05:05 AM
ZRacerLE
Melting Slicks

Received 3,304 Likes on 1,517 Posts

Originally Posted by 19/C7Z

Do you think it's possible the Z07 package will be the hardcore racer package the same way the 1le package is on the ZL1? The base ZL1 is a very comfortable GT car. The 1LE package transforms the car into a track beast.

Last edited by ZRacerLE; 09-02-2020 at 05:08 AM.
Old 09-02-2020, 08:17 AM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

Hate to break the news to you, but yes the Z06 is most likely going to be the MOST hardcore track car offered at ANY time in corvettes history including the possibility of MULTIMATIC suspension like the Camaros used. Benchmarking will tell you that a GT2RS is barely a road car to begin with. All reports say the same thing as well with advanced AERO for anything but putting around and checking out scenery.
Multimatic suspension is undriveable on most roads. It might be a track option for the Z06 but it will not be standard because, again, 99% of Corvette owners will not track this car.

I track my cars but there is no way I would get a Z06 with a multimatic suspension. I have test driven the ZL1 1LE multiple times and that car beats you up bad. Unless you drive on flat, very smooth roads. then it would be fine.

The C8 is far more GT car than track car, and GM knows it's buyers.
The following users liked this post:
Vernon (09-02-2020)
Old 09-02-2020, 09:19 AM
ZRacerLE
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by thill444
Multimatic suspension is undriveable on most roads. It might be a track option for the Z06 but it will not be standard because, again, 99% of Corvette owners will not track this car.

I track my cars but there is no way I would get a Z06 with a multimatic suspension. I have test driven the ZL1 1LE multiple times and that car beats you up bad. Unless you drive on flat, very smooth roads. then it would be fine.

The C8 is far more GT car than track car, and GM knows it's buyers.
Seems like they could and would do it for the C8Z the way they did for the ZL1. I think they found the formula that works. It's a $7500 suspension package for the ZL1 that the hardcore track people buy, but makes the car legendary like the ZLE has become. If you want a GT ride, then you simply don't buy it. With the CF wheels, it probably makes it a $20K package like the GT500. I'd buy it. I'd end up spending more than that modding it in to a track beast anyways. The ZLE is a street legal track car you don't have to mod and has a track day warranty. Looking for a C8Z just like that.
Old 09-02-2020, 10:01 AM
JazzVA
Pro

Received 261 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by BADBIRDCAGE
True Dat

multi purpose machines are never as good as dedicated machines.
For this reason I'm tracking my Miata and street driving the Corvette. I can "wad up" the Miata without too much worry which isn't true for the Corvette.
Old 09-02-2020, 10:04 AM
etekberg
Drifting

Received 256 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by thill444
I know nothing about the 1LE, but your post made me look some stuff up. Are you sure that is from the shocks and not from the rigid frame mounts on the 1LE? Anytime I hear of rubber mounts being replaced with metal I think harsh street manners.
Old 09-02-2020, 10:12 AM
ZRacerLE
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by etekberg
I know nothing about the 1LE, but your post made me look some stuff up. Are you sure that is from the shocks and not from the rigid frame mounts on the 1LE? Anytime I hear of rubber mounts being replaced with metal I think harsh street manners.
It's from the hard mounted suspension bits, not the dampers.
Old 09-02-2020, 10:30 AM
New car dude
Drifting

Originally Posted by ZRacerLE
It's from the hard mounted suspension bits, not the dampers.
The entire system is designed for track use including the dampers. This isnt just a hard mounted suspension kit, but a integrated track focused system for hardcore racing application. The firm has formula 1 experience, as well as track focused production car application.
Old 09-02-2020, 10:37 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,206 Likes on 6,015 Posts

Originally Posted by rrsperry

There's a massive difference between competing and having fun at a trackday weekend. Sure if you want to compete you need to be willing to destroy the equipment. If you want to enjoy your sports car at 80-90% in a controlled environment then there's nothing wrong with enjoying a track weekend.

I laugh at people who've never raced just casually toss around "just buy a racecar". You have no idea how much expense goes into a dedicated track car.
The following 2 users liked this post by RapidC84B:
ClothSeats (09-02-2020), stormcloak (09-02-2020)

Get notified of new replies

To Only ONE track focused car in the C8 lineup?

Old 09-02-2020, 11:23 AM
ZRacerLE
Melting Slicks

The entire system is designed for track use including the dampers. This isnt just a hard mounted suspension kit, but a integrated track focused system for hardcore racing application. The firm has formula 1 experience, as well as track focused production car application.
I agree. That's why I bought a ZLE and a Colorado ZR2. I wanted the integrated system that was designed to work together. I track the ZLE and off road track the ZR2. Both vehicles are unreal at speed. I'm just saying the harshness from a pot hole in the ZLE is from the hard mounted suspension bits. Yes, the springs are stiff and the dampers are super viscous, but it's the hard pieces that are usually soft rubber that push the ride quality to uncomfortable for most people (not me ).
Old 09-02-2020, 11:27 AM
ZRacerLE
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RapidC84B
There's a massive difference between competing and having fun at a trackday weekend. Sure if you want to compete you need to be willing to destroy the equipment. If you want to enjoy your sports car at 80-90% in a controlled environment then there's nothing wrong with enjoying a track weekend.

I laugh at people who've never raced just casually toss around "just buy a racecar". You have no idea how much expense goes into a dedicated track car.
I have to add that you get the track day warranty too if you keep it stock with these latest vettes and 1le camaros. Much more attractive than building a race car and maintaining it... not to mention these latest gen vettes and camaros lap with a lot of purpose built race cars.
Old 09-02-2020, 11:30 AM
etekberg
Drifting

Received 256 Likes on 122 Posts

I must say, that 1LE sounds awesome. When I first heard about it, I guess I just saw the Z06 motor and assumed that was it. I didn't know about the other stuff. I would love to have one; usually too harsh is just about right for me.

Quick Reply: Only ONE track focused car in the C8 lineup?