Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is there so much beef between Corvette and Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2020, 08:16 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by punky
Nice little disposable go cart for track days, I get that. Would you pick up a first date in a Miata?
When I was 17? Sure, I would have been happy to have a Miata. Of course, there was no such thing as a Miata when I was 17 (1973), so I picked up my dates in one of the CRAPPY English inspirations for the Miata...a 1970 TR6.
Now, the Miata is not on my list...but that doesn't make it any less a very cool little car that's an absolute blast to drive. So, generalize away, you're just confirming the comments a lot of folks make about Corvettes and their owners (it's NOT complimentary)
Old 08-27-2020, 09:09 PM
CJ Willys
Le Mans Master

Received 506 Likes on 295 Posts

Bought my (used) GS from a Porsche dealer. Got a tour of the garage. Wish I could afford a 911.
Bought my 2nd Corvette, a Z06, brand new. Add both vettes together, and still cheaper than that 911.
And a vette will hang all day with those Porsche's.
Old 08-27-2020, 09:20 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,263 Likes on 2,187 Posts

Originally Posted by themonk
because some people are incapable of liking anything other than what they own or in some cases in here, want to own but can't for whatever reason. It's like this, these people are the same ones who asked the hot popular girl to the HS prom., she said no so all of a sudden she's an ugly bitch.....same principle applies here.
This.

Everyone is too emotionally attached to their car. They own a corvette, THAT corvette is the best. Oh i bought a C5Z because that's the last of the pure bred corvettes! I don't like the C7 styling therefore it is not the best! My C5Z is the best!

lolllllzzz

That mentality is the funniest.

I personally own a corvette because it's great performance/looks for the dollar. Would i love to own other cars over this C7Z? You bet.

I would get a GTR, i think it's a better car. But i didn't get that because no V8.

I would get a 911 turbo s, that is definitely a better car. But i didn't because i don't wanna buy used and new they cost too much.

I would love to get a GT2RS, that is light years better than ANY corvette ever made period, callaway, hennessey, whatever, it is tiers, and tiers meaning multiple, above any corvette. I didn't get that because i simply can't afford it.

Some people use their emotions too much on this site.

Last edited by Z0HS1CK; 08-28-2020 at 06:38 AM. Reason: Spelling errors
Old 08-27-2020, 09:21 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by CJ ******
Bought my (used) GS from a Porsche dealer. Got a tour of the garage. Wish I could afford a 911.
Bought my 2nd Corvette, a Z06, brand new. Add both vettes together, and still cheaper than that 911.
And a vette will hang all day with those Porsche's.
And?
Old 08-27-2020, 10:41 PM
mazurekd
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 150 Posts

Old 08-28-2020, 01:48 AM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
What? You don't like it when someone gives you a little of your own medicine?

You are letting your insecurities get the best of you again.
Old 08-28-2020, 02:23 AM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Phil1098
This is not true. I have friends that have been multi millionaires for years and don't even look at Porsches. This may be hard to understand, but there are those with money that simply don't like them. One who has been making over seven figures every year for the last 35 years thinks they're just VWs. (he also views Ferraris as kit cars). One friend is very down to earth and if you saw him on the street you would wonder if he had to work til 70 to retire, has one of the greatest Corvette collections in the country. Most bought new and professionally stored and maintained from every year ZR-1, Z06, etc., just millions of dollars in Corvettes. He wouldn't ride in a Porsche. You seem to think Corvette owners ran out of money and since they can't afford a Porsche, they had to settle for the POS Corvette, it's not the case. There are some that go check to check that are Corvette owners, but in the same light there are those with a Porsche and no furniture behind the drapes in their McMansion, but from the street they "look" successful.
For your friends sake, I am sure he is a better person than you painted him to be. If not, he is an arrogant *** that is in no way a car enthusiast....but probably better described as a narrow minded Corvette loyalist such as a few very obvious notables on this forum. I get the fact that you have a strong bias for Chevrolet since you sell them, so that makes sense. I think we all know there are many Corvette owners that can own whatever they wish, but their are a lot more that own Corvettes that are hard working individuals and it’s the top of their spending threshold. GM continues to market the Corvette as a bang for the buck car......and at $60k achieves that goal. I bought a Corvette when I could have easily bought a 911 and since that time I have purchased a 911. So yes Phil....you are talking about people like me. I am one of those as you say that “chose a POS Corvette when I could have bought a more expensive car....what in the hell was I thinking😏....but I am not brand loyal and I wanted a C7. Very good possibility my next car may be a Z06. I get bored with cars quickly and like different experiences.

Hell yes Phil, people sometimes over buy......it can be an emotional decision for many. As a salesman, you capitalize on that fact on a daily basis.....but that applies for most all car brands and makes. However, I have not found that to be the norm in either my Corvette or Porsche clubs I have been involved with. All great people that love cars. Here’s the tough part for a handful of the most hardened loyalists. They just can’t wrap their heads around the fact that someone could like a Corvette but give the nod to a Porsche. Funny isn’t it!

Last edited by Dr. ice; 08-28-2020 at 02:37 AM.
Old 08-28-2020, 02:31 AM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
Actually, those of my friends who own Porsches are really nice people. Most of the ire toward Porsche owners here can be attributed to just a few people like Dr. Ice, who is very prolific with his opinions on Corvette Forums (despite not currently owning any Corvette at all, and not being very knowledgeable about cars at all), and his dismissive and "superiority attitude" comments toward Corvette owners.
So my theory so far is that he managed to snag a "gold-digger" wife, (geez, who would want anything like that unless they were really incapable of getting any friends at all) and he needs to keep posturing to keep her from running off with a poor biker.

I do think that the best thing for Porsche owners and enthusiasts would be to somehow persuade him to take a break, since he is quite an embarrassment to the brand, even if he isn't smart enough to realize that himself.
You are like putty in my handI see you have thin skin and are easily frustrated. You are taking this waaaay to seriously. We are just talking cars, so chill and enjoy.

Last edited by Dr. ice; 08-28-2020 at 02:33 AM.
Old 08-28-2020, 02:45 AM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Phil1098
If this was "The sports car forum", then I understand this thread, but since it's the Corvette Forum, it seems a bit ridiculous looking for fans of other cars here. This is where Corvette fans go, it's a little spot for them. Go to a New York Yankees forum and ask why everyone can't love the Red Sox.
Do you only watch and cheer for one team? You may have a favorite, but it doesn’t mean you don’t like rooting for a few other teams as well. Lots of us are like that. That’s called an analogy.....hope you got the drift👍
Old 08-28-2020, 09:28 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb
When I was 17? Sure, I would have been happy to have a Miata. Of course, there was no such thing as a Miata when I was 17 (1973), so I picked up my dates in one of the CRAPPY English inspirations for the Miata...a 1970 TR6.
Now, the Miata is not on my list...but that doesn't make it any less a very cool little car that's an absolute blast to drive. So, generalize away, you're just confirming the comments a lot of folks make about Corvettes and their owners (it's NOT complimentary)
Any car was great when we were 16. I obviously meant now. Could you imagine picking up a first date in a Miata? I don't think so.
Old 08-28-2020, 09:38 AM
walleyfisher
Le Mans Master

Received 1,664 Likes on 740 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist- Modified
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C7 of the Year Winner -- Modified
2020 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Any car was great when we were 16. I obviously meant now. Could you imagine picking up a first date in a Miata? I don't think so.
Why not, my first date was in a Vega GT with a 4 speed

This thread is waaaay too serious, I don't believe for minute Corvettes drivers hate Porsche owners, or Porsche drivers hat Corvette drivers, all just fun ribbing, Just like the Ford/Chevy thing. I do appreciate a good looking Porsche being a Corvette owner, and I am sure there are Porsche owners who appreciate a good looking Corvette. I really enjoy funny ribbing between car guys. I really enjoy watch Corvettes and Porsches trading paint on the track lap after lap and even better when the Corvette comes out on top
The following users liked this post:
TARANTULA (08-28-2020)
Old 08-28-2020, 10:06 AM
jcp911s
Melting Slicks

Received 1,583 Likes on 795 Posts

Originally Posted by walleyfisher
Why not, my first date was in a Vega GT with a 4 speed

This thread is waaaay too serious, I don't believe for minute Corvettes drivers hate Porsche owners, or Porsche drivers hat Corvette drivers, all just fun ribbing, Just like the Ford/Chevy thing. I do appreciate a good looking Porsche being a Corvette owner, and I am sure there are Porsche owners who appreciate a good looking Corvette. I really enjoy funny ribbing between car guys. I really enjoy watch Corvettes and Porsches trading paint on the track lap after lap and even better when the Corvette comes out on top
A concise, thoughtful, and, (dare I say), eloquent statement. You have elevated this discussion/debate to a higher standard of self-examination, and by extension awareness.

You have left us all with only one intelligent response.......

BLOW ME!
Old 08-28-2020, 10:32 AM
walleyfisher
Le Mans Master

Received 1,664 Likes on 740 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist- Modified
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C7 of the Year Winner -- Modified
2020 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by jcp911s
A concise, thoughtful, and, (dare I say), eloquent statement. You have elevated this discussion/debate to a higher standard of self-examination, and by extension awareness.

You have left us all with only one intelligent response.......

BLOW ME!
See, just my point...Now I respond "Why, are all your other dick sucking buddies still in their basement?" (asking for a friend)

Last edited by walleyfisher; 08-28-2020 at 02:44 PM.
Old 08-28-2020, 12:26 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Ah...typical internet stupidity...you give me an idiotic scenario that CANNOT/WILL NOT happen as I am 63 years old and married just so you can be right...as far as you know.

I'll make it easy for you. Am I going to buy a Miata? No. I have a 2021 HTC waiting on an allocation.
Would I be embarrassed to own/drive a Miata? Not in the least. They are fun cars with one of the GREATEST manual transmissions EVER offered.
michael510 (08-28-2020)
Old 08-28-2020, 01:14 PM
semperfi1946
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

I agree - I have owned many Corvettes from a 63 Split window to a 2018 Z06, and I am awaiting my new 2021 Z51. I have also owned a 911 Turbo, which was a fine car, but which spent a lot time at the dealer for little problems, like faulty electric window motor, touchscreen problem, etc. My 2018 Z06 and 2016 Z51 did not have 1 problem. I feel the C7 and C8 are such a jump forward in every way, but especially performance and styling-while Porsche is still a very old looking design that you either love or hate. Porsche also rips you off like no other, because by the time you purchase all the options you need to have a nicely appointed car-you are spending 20-30K more and service is very expensive. In California Porsches are as common as a Prius, but I have only seen 1 C8. I think when you put a C8 next to a Porsche, for me- it is like looking at a Volkswagen Beetle next to a Lambo Huracan - no comparison.
DaveFerrari458 (08-28-2020)
Old 08-28-2020, 01:55 PM
GSjoe
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default I Must Just Be Dumb...or something.

Yup, I must be dumb or something. Before reading this thread I was never aware of any Corvette vs Porsche beef. Perhaps it's just because I'm a car guy and have always been one. I'm 81 years old and I still love cars...especially sports cars. The love affair started in 1955 when on my way to high school I saw a new (first year) Thunderbird in the Ford dealer's showroom. I was so "taken" by the car that day that it almost cost me a girlfriend! When I started college several years later I really got the urge to purchase the car I lusted over, but I really couldn't afford to buy even a used Thunderbird. The best I could do was to buy a used MGA. As time went on I continued to buy two-seaters...several more MGAs, an MGB and a gaggle of Triumphs. Starting my firs real job in 1963 (a high school teaching job) I purchased my first Corvette, a 1963 C2 roadster. Not long afterward I purchased a used Porsche 356 coupe that needed some engine work. Previously having done some work on air-cooled VW engines I knew the early Porsche engines were very similar. The C2 Corvette and the 356 Porsche were vastly different, but I loved driving both. As time went on and my income grew--though always modest--I bought both new and used iterations of each make. I also owned some other makes--a 1973 Ferrari Dino and a real 1968 427 AC Cobra. Through all of this, though, I can count the numerous Corvettes and Porsches I've owned and cherished. Yes, I've owned sixteen Porsches of all types--air and water cooled (356, 911, 944S2, Boxster, etc.). I've also owned ten or eleven Corvettes: C2, C3, C4 and C6. With regard to the C4, my first was a 1984 but since 1990 I've owned three ZR-1s. Even now in my "advanced" years I've got my eyes on a new C8 which may well soon be in my garage. It will occupy the space next to my very enjoyable daily driver, a 2002 Ford Focus SVT. Yup, I'm a car junkie of the first order. Often there's been both a Corvette and a Porsche in my garage. They're both cars...different of course, but both wonderful to drive and own. In summary, I've been totally unaware of any rivalry between owners and/or non-owners because I'm a car guy and I associate with fellow car guys...guys who love cars.
The following 4 users liked this post by GSjoe:
Iron Leopard (08-28-2020), michael510 (08-28-2020), TARANTULA (08-28-2020), trooper (08-29-2020)
Old 08-28-2020, 02:42 PM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 661 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by GSjoe
Yup, I must be dumb or something. Before reading this thread I was never aware of any Corvette vs Porsche beef. Perhaps it's just because I'm a car guy and have always been one. I'm 81 years old and I still love cars...especially sports cars. The love affair started in 1955 when on my way to high school I saw a new (first year) Thunderbird in the Ford dealer's showroom. I was so "taken" by the car that day that it almost cost me a girlfriend! When I started college several years later I really got the urge to purchase the car I lusted over, but I really couldn't afford to buy even a used Thunderbird. The best I could do was to buy a used MGA. As time went on I continued to buy two-seaters...several more MGAs, an MGB and a gaggle of Triumphs. Starting my firs real job in 1963 (a high school teaching job) I purchased my first Corvette, a 1963 C2 roadster. Not long afterward I purchased a used Porsche 356 coupe that needed some engine work. Previously having done some work on air-cooled VW engines I knew the early Porsche engines were very similar. The C2 Corvette and the 356 Porsche were vastly different, but I loved driving both. As time went on and my income grew--though always modest--I bought both new and used iterations of each make. I also owned some other makes--a 1973 Ferrari Dino and a real 1968 427 AC Cobra. Through all of this, though, I can count the numerous Corvettes and Porsches I've owned and cherished. Yes, I've owned sixteen Porsches of all types--air and water cooled (356, 911, 944S2, Boxster, etc.). I've also owned ten or eleven Corvettes: C2, C3, C4 and C6. With regard to the C4, my first was a 1984 but since 1990 I've owned three ZR-1s. Even now in my "advanced" years I've got my eyes on a new C8 which may well soon be in my garage. It will occupy the space next to my very enjoyable daily driver, a 2002 Ford Focus SVT. Yup, I'm a car junkie of the first order. Often there's been both a Corvette and a Porsche in my garage. They're both cars...different of course, but both wonderful to drive and own. In summary, I've been totally unaware of any rivalry between owners and/or non-owners because I'm a car guy and I associate with fellow car guys...guys who love cars.

What he said !! Total agreement !!
trooper (08-29-2020)

Get notified of new replies

To Why is there so much beef between Corvette and Porsche?

Old 08-28-2020, 03:24 PM
Weston
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron Leopard
Why cant these two fanbases get along?

And when did this rivalry start? In the 80s? When the C4 was destroying any and every Porsche it came up against?

I dont know what's worse. Corvette vs Porsche or Sony vs Microsoft.
Because God forbid everyone doesn't agree with my own consumer choices!

But seriously, I don't see any real problem between the groups, only some friendly rivalry. Go to the track at any sort of non-make-specific event and the two coolest groups of drivers you'll ever meet are Corvette guys and Porsche guys. The Corvette guys were humble and friendly back when I managed to get a turbocharged Acura Integra to consistently keep up with their top lap times (C5 Z06 era), but while things were constantly breaking on my heavily modified car, they drove their near-stock Vettes to and from the track with no issues the whole weekend and beat most everyone. That stuck in my mind, and I bought my first Vette (a C6) a few years later, and then traded that in for a C7 as soon as I could get my hands on one. The Porsche guys were similarly cool, as long as they were the ones who cared to venture out beyond just Porsche Club events. I also raced 944's for a while and the 911 guys were cool to us despite us having basically junkyard Porsches. So, not a lot of "beef" from either group, in my experience.

I bought a 991 GT3 as well last year, because, you know... Corvettes and 911s are wildly different cars and it's pretty silly to act like it's an apples vs apples comparison. I appreciate the traits, challenges, and different driving styles of both of them. My C7 is supercharged with a fully built motor and is undeniably faster in a straight line, while the GT3 absolutely destroys it in literally every other category, but it's still fun to throw the C7 around in corners. People who can only see stats on paper aren't people who actually drive cars in any meaningful way. There's something unique to enjoy about most any car.

I also enjoy my current 145 whp non-turbo total-POS Integra race car, because again, totally different car with some fun traits of its own... It's nothing to cry over if I wreck it, most people have never seen a well-setup well-driven FWD car, it turns fast enough laps to humble many egos on public open lapping days, and low-budget racing is where the most wheel-to-wheel competition is. In this car, I know I've earned my wins, I didn't buy them.

Name:  p1H73Hf.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  541.1 KB

Last edited by Weston; 08-28-2020 at 03:30 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Weston:
Iron Leopard (08-28-2020), michael510 (08-28-2020), trooper (08-29-2020)
Old 08-28-2020, 03:25 PM
CJ Willys
Le Mans Master

Received 506 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by TLS_Addict
And?

And. One day I hope I’m rich enough to buy a 911.
A couple track instructors have given me rides. Wow!
Old 08-28-2020, 06:01 PM
bartruff1
Racer

Received 269 Likes on 121 Posts

Because insecure people with low self esteem need affirmation .....validation that they are making the right judgement.....
Z0HS1CK (08-28-2020)

Quick Reply: Why is there so much beef between Corvette and Porsche?