Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

All Season Performance Tires with a Z-51

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2020, 08:03 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,991 Likes on 1,148 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Just drive the summer tires all year round until they wear out and then buy the tires you want.

unless your planning on driving in snow storms the summer tires with active handling etc will be just fine.

Good advice. A spirited corvette driver, even not going to the track should wear out the tires within a year or so.

If you don’t want to wait, I bought and sold Z06 c7 tires on the forum and it was a very popular item to buy or sell. Not that big of a deal to sell those tires. A little tricky to ship but that all works out too.
Old 08-24-2020, 09:16 PM
Italianfox
Burning Brakes

Received 811 Likes on 375 Posts

My C7 is Z-51. My C8 will not be. On the C7 I mounted A/S tires on the OEM rims and bought a second set of machined face black rims and mounted The Pilot Sports on them. Summer Tires/rims will be up for sale as soon as they come off in October. I just haven't gotten around to listing them yet. To be honest I really don't notice much difference with the A/S and I'm somewhat of a spirited driver. The first time I drove the 2016 on a 40 degree day i was stopping at a traffic light at the end of my development and nearly slid through the intersection. I was doing about 30 mph at the time. A/S were on the next week.
Old 08-24-2020, 10:57 PM
OldJedi
Drifting

Received 614 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by jiminfresno
I like the added safety of the Electronic Slip differential for traction and control, and the Bremko Brakes for safety, I like the sound of the performance exhaust and I like the looks of the Front Splitter and rear spoiler which all come with the Z-51 package. Additionally I think the Z-51 package would maybe help resale.
Z51 is $6000. NPP is $1200, Front Splitter $150, Rear Spoiler $200. The base car has Brembo brakes just smaller rotors, Z51 will give you the electronic slip diff. and extra cooling. If you are not going to track the car, I really not sure you need the Z51 package especially if you need the A/S tires. On resale, Z51 is worth $2500-$3000 after 5 years. I keep going back and forth myself on this subject as well especially after the $1000 increase and MR available w/o Z51. But for me it is just the opposite. In South Florida I have no need for All Season tires but would prefer the PS4 tires and extra cooling. There are a lot of forum members going to high wing spoilers and selling their Z51 spoilers. Personally I would prefer mine without the spoiler. If the extra cooling was as easy to install as a rear spoiler, I might skip on Z51. Just a thought.
Old 08-24-2020, 11:35 PM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,074 Likes on 532 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

I ordered a set of Michelin PS4 ZP all season tires from tire rack $1280 delivered
Old 08-25-2020, 10:12 AM
HKH
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 56 Posts

I ordered 4 snows and rims for a Honda from Tire Rack in last December. I ordered on line at 3:20 PM and UPS delivered them the following morning at 10:20, mounted and balanced. There was no way I could have bought the same locally and had them that fast..
Old 08-25-2020, 10:31 AM
Panfish
Melting Slicks

Received 1,455 Likes on 838 Posts

Originally Posted by Marcho Polo
Just curious, but if you are never going to track, why Z51 at all?
Only way to get Mag ride on a 2020.
The following users liked this post:
fastwheels (09-01-2020)
Old 08-25-2020, 11:32 AM
jiminfresno
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 43 Posts

If you ordered a Z51 and do not live in Florida but in a climate where the winter can get below 45 degrees fahrenheit, it will be dangerous to drive the Hi Performance Summer tire. This is why GM has to offer an All Season that they put on the Base C8 as on option for the Z51. Many of us will not take our Z51 to the track. For the uninformed this could be dangerous as you will not stop when the temperature is below 45 degrees and in freezing forget it.

TIRE TECH: DON'T DRIVE SUMMER PERFORMANCE TIRES IN COLD TEMPERATURES

In anticipation of the next time Mother Nature extends her cold reach, drivers with vehicles equipped with summer performance tires need to know those tires are not designed for near- or below-freezing temperatures on clear roads, nor in slush, snow and ice.

When faced with near- and below-freezing temperatures, drivers should leave their summer performance tire-equipped vehicle at home and drive a vehicle equipped with all-season or winter tires.

Summer performance tires feature tread compounds engineered to provide traction in warm to hot ambient temperatures. They were never intended to experience near- and below-freezing temperatures, nor the wintry driving conditions that often accompany them.

As ambient temperatures get colder, typically in the 40-45° Fahrenheit range, summer performance tires lose a noticeable percentage of traction as their tread compound rubber properties change from a pliable elastic to inflexible plastic. The tire industry uses the term "glass transition" to describe the temperature where a summer performance tire's grip/slip performance changes dramatically. This means the summer performance tires that provide predictable traction in warm to hot conditions will be found to be very challenging to drive in cold to freezing temperatures. This is especially true when the tires first begin to be driven or if the driver aggressively applies gas pedal pressure with today's turbocharged fours or high-torque sixes and eights. Fortunately, glass transition is a reversible condition that allows the tires' normal traction to return as the ambient temperatures climb.

If ambient temperatures drop to near- or below-freezing, driving or rolling a vehicle equipped with summer performance tires risks the possibility of tread compound cracking. Tread compound cracking is a permanent condition that requires the tires to be replaced. The other condition that can be caused by running summer performance tires in cold temperatures is the possibility of chipping away the edges of the tread blocks.

Since both of these conditions only occur as the result of what's considered improper use or storage, they are not typically covered by the manufacturer's warranty.
Old 08-25-2020, 11:41 AM
montanaman
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Italianfox
My C7 is Z-51. My C8 will not be. On the C7 I mounted A/S tires on the OEM rims and bought a second set of machined face black rims and mounted The Pilot Sports on them. Summer Tires/rims will be up for sale as soon as they come off in October. I just haven't gotten around to listing them yet. To be honest I really don't notice much difference with the A/S and I'm somewhat of a spirited driver. The first time I drove the 2016 on a 40 degree day i was stopping at a traffic light at the end of my development and nearly slid through the intersection. I was doing about 30 mph at the time. A/S were on the next week.
There is it is. GM should be smart enough to know this and sold all C7's with these ice skates for tires. They should know that 90% of the people who buy these cars don't ever plan on tracking them so why they out these on a every C7 remains a mystery to me. I pulled mine off after 200 miles. Huge difference.
Old 08-25-2020, 11:44 AM
montanaman
Racer

Originally Posted by Panfish
Only way to get Mag ride on a 2020.
And that is an oversight on GM's part as well. When I bought my C7 Stingray ( 2017 M7) I DID NOT want the Z51 package as it was never going to be tracked but I DID want the all important MAG RIDE option as it is the most significant upgrade on that car. So can you get a non-Z51 in 2021 with Mag Ride? .
Old 08-25-2020, 11:47 AM
montanaman
Racer

Originally Posted by Foosh
I really do think there are base car C8 owners out there that might well trade for a set of summer tires. There are many who believe they are better. I am not one of those people when talking about street use.
Better for track use all day long. For driving daily in our broken roads.... they are garbage. Ask me how I know..
Old 08-25-2020, 11:51 AM
HARVEY T.GLUCK
Drifting

Received 651 Likes on 151 Posts

Default All Season

Well still in QUANDARY—My Convertible is in and will be taking Delivery .. Saw the Prices for the Michelin but need a good installer on Long Island and get them through them so I can Swap......DIVIDED OPINION ON WHAT TO DO...DO NOT KNOW WHAT THE PERFORMANCE TIRES ARE WORTH EITHER??????????

Old 08-25-2020, 12:19 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,105 Likes on 6,184 Posts

Tirerack will deliver directly to the shop/installer.
Old 08-25-2020, 12:35 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,187 Likes on 3,394 Posts

Originally Posted by HARVEY T.GLUCK
Well still in QUANDARY—My Convertible is in and will be taking Delivery .. Saw the Prices for the Michelin but need a good installer on Long Island and get them through them so I can Swap......DIVIDED OPINION ON WHAT TO DO...DO NOT KNOW WHAT THE PERFORMANCE TIRES ARE WORTH EITHER??????????
America's Tire/Discount Tire will often match the total installed price of other places and they will often buy take-offs. I'd give them a call if you have a local store.
Old 08-25-2020, 12:54 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by montanaman
And that is an oversight on GM's part as well. When I bought my C7 Stingray ( 2017 M7) I DID NOT want the Z51 package as it was never going to be tracked but I DID want the all important MAG RIDE option as it is the most significant upgrade on that car. So can you get a non-Z51 in 2021 with Mag Ride? .
That has been corrected on 21 models. MSRC will be a stand-alone option on base cars.
Old 08-25-2020, 12:55 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Originally Posted by montanaman
Better for track use all day long. For driving daily in our broken roads.... they are garbage. Ask me how I know..
Garbage is an overstatement, but I agree the all-season is a much better street tire, and the max perf summers are only better on a track.
Old 08-25-2020, 12:57 PM
srosenbldr
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 18 Posts

[QUOTE=papillion;1602065967]We put Michelin AS 3+ ZP tires on our C7. With C7 Z51 OEM specs, they were our only ZP option so...... But they are great tires. Discount guy says we should get a few more miles from them vs. the Pilot Super Sports. Didn't think that would make much difference given the car is gone when our C8 arrives. But the longer the wait, the more miles we rack up.[/Q

Put the AS3+ on my C7 Z51 and LOVED them. Not as good on track, but much better for the other 99% of the time.
Old 08-25-2020, 01:17 PM
montanaman
Racer

Originally Posted by HARVEY T.GLUCK

Beautiful car man. Congrats. You may have better luck selling your OEM super slicks but being in Montana I did not and the Discount Tire who put on my AS/3 plus tires had zero interest in giving me any money for the SS's that only had 300 miles on them. You may have an easier time in with the masses that live around you. I basically factored the additional cost into the car and I was right as the first 200 miles with the OEM tires I knew they had to go.

Some here say they sold them and shipped them but I can't imagine that happening now. Shipping costs are way up due to Covid panic and shipping 4 huge tires would cost hundreds of dollars.

Get notified of new replies

To All Season Performance Tires with a Z-51

Old 08-25-2020, 03:35 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

You guys are fortunate to have a great UHP all-season option. I just purchased a 2019 Porsche 718 with 235/35-20 fronts and 265/35-20 rear. There are no UHP all-seasons available in those sizes. I was pissed to find out about that after I took delivery. I'd have to buy a set of 18" or 19" wheels to get a decent one.
Old 08-25-2020, 03:49 PM
Z06-MAN
Racer

Received 676 Likes on 225 Posts

AS3 or AS 4 no problems, I put the AS3’s on my 16 Z06 went to NH Speedway last week with my buddies, car handles the turns like SS summer tires, no issues at all! The new all weather AS4’s will be fantastic, post your stock tires for sale on the forum, they will be gone in no time!
Old 08-25-2020, 04:12 PM
DES C8
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

so you pick up your car at NCM in JAN/FEB... you can't drive it home !

Quick Reply: All Season Performance Tires with a Z-51