Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 or GT4 one will stay

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2020, 10:56 AM
Carl44
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 53 Posts

going to play with the alignment to see if it changes my feeling about the handling. . checked the front total toe last night it was .080"(spec is .2 .1 per-side degree=.076") reset to .015" seemed to sharpen up the turn in. Ill reset the front camber to about -1.75 after about 1000m to let it settle which is about as much as i want on the street /sport setup. I do my own set ups(last 30years) i have slip plates scales camber/caster and toe gauges. very accurate but time consuming 4-6hrs for a full setup. . will up date on results and feel as i change the settings. carl
The following 4 users liked this post by Carl44:
2slow2speed (08-23-2020), bcmarly (08-23-2020), serendib (08-23-2020), stevesvette (08-25-2020)
Old 08-23-2020, 11:07 AM
acroy
Le Mans Master

Received 1,451 Likes on 875 Posts

I have been very tempted by GT4 both the 2016 and 2020. Super precise driver's car which I like. Manual only which I like. Hold their value.
buuuut - the shock tower issue. And way over geared, much to tall, so they feel like a dog around town
I can 'afford' a toy up to 100k or so, but I still have an archaic 550whp C5z in the garage. Can't find anything else that pushes my buttons, and can blow the tires off at will, anywhere near the price. Feels small, light agile compared to later models. Nice to have choices
The following 2 users liked this post by acroy:
bcmarly (08-23-2020), stevesvette (08-25-2020)
Old 08-23-2020, 11:13 AM
bcmarly
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 363 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by lrobe22
rennlsit doesn’t have a punky or newcardude. They happily welcome opinions on other cars because they don’t attach their self worth (like some here) based on how their car compares to other ones.
Hardly, they have their, trolls, haters and detractors, especially when it comes to Corvettes. I've been a member since my 991S.
The following users liked this post:
Thunder22 (08-23-2020)
Old 08-23-2020, 11:30 AM
OKsweetrides
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by lrobe22
rennlsit doesn’t have a punky or newcardude. They happily welcome opinions on other cars because they don’t attach their self worth (like some here) based on how their car compares to other ones.
Maybe not rennlist (but there are many self-inflating egos there) but when you wipe the track floor with their cup cars in person, they go full Karen on excuses.

The GT4 is a great car. If it has plates, it's not a track car. Too many compromises for any car. It's purely my opinion that a chassis should be pushed to the limits to really see how it can feel, perform, and bring that physicality to the emotions. I can see why it's sporty and has that sporty attitude; it's a great platform. Much that a C8 is quite likely to be a wonderful GT machine (haven't driven in one, but sat in some). But I surmise it feels as big driving as like a 458/88/f8 whereas I think a Huracan and NSX feels "small."

Last edited by OKsweetrides; 08-23-2020 at 11:33 AM.
Old 08-23-2020, 12:24 PM
chubbs6350
Burning Brakes

Received 832 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
I think we should all go over to Porsche enthusiast sites like rennlist and post up how we owned or drove both the porsche gt4 or 911 blah blah blah and decided the corvette was a better choice..

how well would that go over if we did that ad nauseum at rennlist.

at a certain point these porsche are better threads just belong in the “other car” section of this site.

once in awhile they are entertaining but after awhile these types of threads become to look a bit like a desperate attempt by porsche fans etc...to “show “ us corvette enthusiasts how even though the porsche is slower in acceleration and on track times than the corvette...lthe porsche is the better vehicle.

we get it...porsches are wonderful pieces of german engineering...

in porsche enthusiast minds porsches are preferred.

Feel free to post up links to the porsche sites where multitudes corvette owners go over..post up on the porsche forums how the corvette is the better performance vehicle...and we have repetitive corvette fan boys bending the rules of common courtesy to drive home the point how and why corvettes are quicker faster less expensive blah blah blah...

we just dont do it. At a certain point its called class.

no offense to anyone in particular yet class and good manners should Prevail even among the facelss world of the internet.

once in awhile a good ribbing is fun.....yet at some of the ongoing levels of repetitiveness it gets a bit overdone.

JMO and the cayman , boxster and 911 are great cars... I drove both brands and prefer corvettes.

corvettes have more of a beast persona while porsches are more about german workmanship and efficiency Of design .

not an insult . Just an observation.
I think we see so many of these Porsche threads because this is the first time a lot of Porsche guys are buying a corvette, now that it's mid engine. The OP was very respectful and obviously loves cars, he is one of the few who actually has a c8 so he put a deposit down early and was likely very excited to get one.
I like these threads cause i love cars, and I'm not brand loyal, i didn't realize the c8 section was only for threads to cheer each other on
The following 3 users liked this post by chubbs6350:
Foosh (08-23-2020), Les (08-24-2020), serendib (08-23-2020)
Old 08-23-2020, 01:11 PM
bcmarly
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Many Rennlisters can't stand to have their prized possession compared to the corresponding Corvette, deal with it!! Enthusiasts both on and off the track as well as automotive "journalists" have, and always will compare the two brands. Those who are secure with their purchase will be happy with their decision and if they want to make a lateral move there are plenty of used Porsches in their price point comfort zone.

Last edited by bcmarly; 08-23-2020 at 01:12 PM.
ArmchairArchitect (08-23-2020)
Old 08-23-2020, 01:15 PM
Carl44
Instructor

Car brand loyalty is like religion and motor oil ,when you believe you believe,and nothing anyone says will ever change your mind...i remember growing up there were Chevy guys and ford guys. funny how nothing has changed over the last 50 years.carl
michael510 (08-23-2020)
Old 08-23-2020, 01:19 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,675 Likes on 8,313 Posts

If you criticize anything on a brand-centered forum, you'll be be attacked. Some are better than others, but the Corvette faithful are more rabid than most. On the positive side, there is solid minority of car enthusiasts here who get it.

Last edited by Foosh; 08-23-2020 at 01:22 PM.
Old 08-23-2020, 02:31 PM
Anthony Chan
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
If you criticize anything on a brand-centered forum, you'll be be attacked. Some are better than others, but the Corvette faithful are more rabid than most. On the positive side, there is solid minority of car enthusiasts here who get it.
You don't even have to criticize. Even bringing up another brand and complimenting it will make you a hater.
64drvr (08-23-2020)
Old 08-23-2020, 04:06 PM
pauly1119
Drifting

Received 401 Likes on 230 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'11

What do you expect? I noticed the C8 forums are a little more sensitive but the same would happen given the reverse on a Porsche forum.
Old 08-23-2020, 04:12 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,950 Likes on 2,178 Posts

Look at how many responses to my suggestion of swapping out the runflats to non runflats.

Ignore my suggestion at your own peril.

the added stiffness on the runflat sidewall as well as the added unsprung weight on any vehicle will deliver a much more direct steering quickness and better feel if you go with a high performance non runflat tire. Remove runflats and the car shrinks around you. You can either take my word for it or you can swap out the runflats to find what you are looking for Carl44.

on the track the c8 will beat a cayman gt4 ...if carl44 you are looking to improve the driver feel aspect my suggestion stands...

the answer for an improvement is not in the area of suspension but rather non runflats.

twenty years, quarter of a million miles in corvettes with and without runflats not to mention a couple of decades of non corvette sports cars as well.

good luck. Feel free to sell off your c8 as it seems they are going for an easy 25 over msrp plus tax ...

withonly 400 or so miles...thats not a bad way to cost effectively move up to the 90 grnd 2022 c8 z06..

since you already have the gt4...not a bad way to roll into a c8 z06 for the cost of whatever you paid for your current corvette.

have fun guys. Try not to use the old adage anyone who responds to a porsche tread in the c8 section as a corvette brand fanboy..

it pretty much sounds disrespectful.

obviously if we are on the corvette forum.....99 percent of us reading are corvette enthusiasts.

Last edited by JerriVette; 08-23-2020 at 05:05 PM.
flyingbunnys (08-23-2020)
Old 08-23-2020, 04:31 PM
bcmarly
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Do you include yourself in that solid minority who get it? I haven't seen you on Rennlist, do you go by a different name?
Old 08-23-2020, 04:47 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,675 Likes on 8,313 Posts

I don't like Rennlist and am not a member. I'm on the 718 Forum. I'm not a Porsche fanboy either.

I "get it" in terms of being completely brand agnostic. I'm am an equal opportunity praiser and criticizer of every manufacturer in the market. I purchase what most strikes my fancy at any given time and for a given purpose. The C6, C6 Z06, and C7 Z51 all rung my bell at one point in time.

There is so much misinformation here and on internet forums in general. Just a couple of posts above, there is a member talking about stiffer sidewalls on Michelin runflats. If that poster had educated himself, he'd know that Michelin has repeatedly published the fact that sidewalls on Michelin ZPs are exactly the same as their non-ZP counterparts. Sure, there is a very small increase in unsprung weight due an extra band next to the inner sidewall that supports the tire only when at zero pressure. However, compounds, sidewalls, handling, and ride quality are exactly the same when inflated comparably. Yes, ancient "runflats" were different animals.

Last edited by Foosh; 08-23-2020 at 05:07 PM.
Old 08-23-2020, 04:47 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

The sooner you realize that on CF you're not allowed to like any other car or car brand the sooner you'll fit in. Also, your political views has to align with the majority or you're labelled as a traitor to your country and despise all that is good, tried and true.

I like Porsches, I like Corvettes, I like Mustangs, I'm non-partisan, am all for whatever makes my life easier, treat others how you would want to be treated and I'm a proud half black, half white Canadian with a **** ton of relatives living in the good ol' U S of A, don't like it f'k you, put me on your ignore list.
The following 3 users liked this post by themonk:
Foosh (08-23-2020), Pacha's Z06 RF (08-23-2020), stormcloak (08-24-2020)
Old 08-23-2020, 04:51 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by chubbs6350
Punky and his great grandson new car dude go to tons of car shows that's where they talk smack about all the cars they can't ever afford
"never afford", how stupid of you as you have no concept of what I can afford. You would be shocked and I could care less whether you believe that or not as you and some of the other Porsche humping *** clowns here are of the mind set that a person who doesn't drive a what ever can't afford one. So small minded but the perspective that your limited cerebral capacity affords you.
ArmchairArchitect (08-24-2020)
Old 08-23-2020, 05:43 PM
Carl44
Instructor

Update
now that i finished the 500m run-in I thought Id put my foot in it (no i dont do launch control) .. I'll tell you one thing this is one fast car! Its a rocket, the fastest car ive ever owned was a 996 GT2 a 3.5-60/11.5 1/4m car. this feels a lot faster . I always had a soft spot for a big old American V8s this cars power is very impressive. Now ill play with the chassis set up see if i can tighten up the feel.. time will tell. carl

Last edited by Carl44; 08-23-2020 at 05:45 PM.
ArmchairArchitect (08-24-2020)
Old 08-23-2020, 06:24 PM
64drvr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,871 Likes on 888 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Look at how many responses to my suggestion of swapping out the runflats to non runflats.

Ignore my suggestion at your own peril.

the added stiffness on the runflat sidewall as well as the added unsprung weight on any vehicle will deliver a much more direct steering quickness and better feel if you go with a high performance non runflat tire. Remove runflats and the car shrinks around you. You can either take my word for it or you can swap out the runflats to find what you are looking for Carl44.

on the track the c8 will beat a cayman gt4 ...if carl44 you are looking to improve the driver feel aspect my suggestion stands...

the answer for an improvement is not in the area of suspension but rather non runflats.

twenty years, quarter of a million miles in corvettes with and without runflats not to mention a couple of decades of non corvette sports cars as well.

good luck. Feel free to sell off your c8 as it seems they are going for an easy 25 over msrp plus tax ...

withonly 400 or so miles...thats not a bad way to cost effectively move up to the 90 grnd 2022 c8 z06..

since you already have the gt4...not a bad way to roll into a c8 z06 for the cost of whatever you paid for your current corvette.

have fun guys. Try not to use the old adage anyone who responds to a porsche tread in the c8 section as a corvette brand fanboy..

it pretty much sounds disrespectful.

obviously if we are on the corvette forum.....99 percent of us reading are corvette enthusiasts.
I’ve had a different experience with good runflats, like Michelins feeling more responsive/feedback, and a stiffer ride accordingly.

Get notified of new replies

To C8 or GT4 one will stay

Old 08-23-2020, 11:53 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,950 Likes on 2,178 Posts

O
I don't like Rennlist and am not a member. I'm on the 718 Forum. I'm not a Porsche fanboy either.

I "get it" in terms of being completely brand agnostic. I'm am an equal opportunity praiser and criticizer of every manufacturer in the market. I purchase what most strikes my fancy at any given time and for a given purpose. The C6, C6 Z06, and C7 Z51 all rung my bell at one point in time.

There is so much misinformation here and on internet forums in general. Just a couple of posts above, there is a member talking about stiffer sidewalls on Michelin runflats. If that poster had educated himself, he'd know that Michelin has repeatedly published the fact that sidewalls on Michelin ZPs are exactly the same as their non-ZP counterparts. Sure, there is a very small increase in unsprung weight due an extra band next to the inner sidewall that supports the tire only when at zero pressure. However, compounds, sidewalls, handling, and ride quality are exactly the same when inflated comparably. Yes, ancient "runflats" were different animals.
dumping the runflats is solid advice if you orefer a more nimble, quicker more responsive steering, a more svelte, smaller tighter and athletic handling machine...........at least as far as c7 michelin runflats are concerned,

if you are a enthusiast looking for a sports car driving experience where the car feels smaller and more athletic I would again make that suggestion. Im sorry foosh if that doesnt line up with your analogy of michelins new c8 runflat tires.

we can agree to disagree.

As far as this whole discussion on Brand agnostic? Thats kind of weird terminology. No offense but I dig all sports cars. Hell if I meet a car enthusiast and he is driving a brand Im less than enthusiastic about but he is smiling and enjoying himself and his car.....thats all i need to congratulate him and cheer him on.

i want to find out why and what makes him so happy. So much so that he is enjoying life. Many enthusiasts feel that way.

But to come to a brand forum....to say less than flattering things about that brand behind a keyboard and then become bewildered or shocked or excited after suggesting negative things about that brand is a bizarre effort.

doesn't take a rocket scientist to know gaining a reaction is going to occur.

With all due respect ..,Working with severely mentally handicapped individuals has given me over the years great insight to the value of weighted reactions and that often children or in this case adults can not distinguish the difference in value between positive or negative attention.

In laymans speak...some people need attention and they dont care if its negative or positive attention. As long as they get more desperately needed attention.

I might suggest an introspective look inside for all those spouting off brand agnostic as a term to just be empowered to garner attention and possibly be insulting. Being agnostic does not remove common courtesy just because you state you are agnostic.

the internet forums are so distant from actual interpersonal relationships...there is no threat or danger from negative behavior patterns and negative comments do in fact solicit far more attention.

no offense intended to anyone in particular. More of a discussion of fascinating human behaviors.

Last edited by JerriVette; 08-23-2020 at 11:59 PM.
Old 08-24-2020, 07:45 AM
911Hunter
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by punky
Can a GT4 do 0-60 in 2.8 seconds? NO, the C8 does.
Can a GT4 do a 1/4 mile in 11 seconds? NO, the C8 does.
Jut straight line speed is not what is important in a well balanced performing sport car.
The following 2 users liked this post by 911Hunter:
ArmchairArchitect (08-24-2020), stormcloak (08-24-2020)
Old 08-24-2020, 07:50 AM
fzust
Burning Brakes

Received 1,129 Likes on 460 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
Keep the one that flips your skirt. At the end of the day, that's what is important.
Wow, this really distills the argument! Seriously.
OnPoint (08-24-2020)

Quick Reply: C8 or GT4 one will stay