Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leather interior colors/materials

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2020, 10:02 PM
gbf_98070
Racer

Received 291 Likes on 109 Posts
Default Leather interior colors/materials

Can anyone tell me what is the difference between “natural Mulan leather” and “natural Napa leather?”
Old 08-15-2020, 10:23 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,124 Likes on 6,194 Posts

Mulan leather is a manufactured leather made by grinding up leather scraps, mixing with bonding agents and then forming sheets. The "pattern" is embossed into the material.

Napa leather is real natural leather. It has a softer feel than Mulan.
The following 4 users liked this post by Zymurgy:
JerryU (11-04-2020), jimmie jam (06-05-2023), p4snow (06-06-2023), plygph (08-16-2020)
Old 08-15-2020, 11:43 PM
ValenciaOrange
Pro

Received 192 Likes on 110 Posts

Now I know. Thank you.
Old 08-16-2020, 09:39 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,655 Likes on 6,652 Posts

Originally Posted by gbf_98070
Can anyone tell me what is the difference between “natural Mulan leather” and “natural Napa leather?”
Yep, as Zumurgy said, Mulan is GM's name for man made bonded faux leather. GM has said Napa is only on the hi end seat C7 and C8 "seating surface." But for the 1st time, I have seen, they publish that the side bolsters on the highest level C8 GT2 seats are Mulan! It had been speculated that was the case BUT now it's in writing. Every time you see the word "leather" in GM deceptions, it's Mulan. Frankly no big deal IMO as my 3LT 2014 C7 dash, which was Mulan, looked like my 2LT 2017 Grand Sport, which was Vinyl! Both pass under embossing rolls in manufacture and looked like "real" leather! In fact since some 3LT dashes shrunk around the vents, Vinyl was apparently better, few if any reports of dash issues.

A negative of bonded leather (often used on future) is it can dry out and shrink with heat. The furniture industry warns about having it in a hot sunny area or around floor heating vents! The dash is subjected to the hot sun. Assume Vinyl, if anything, stretches! Sure hope GM learned from the C7 and made my C8 3LT dash from Vinyl! Although I have no issues with my 3LT dash in 3 1/2 years.

Last edited by JerryU; 08-16-2020 at 09:46 AM.
Old 08-16-2020, 06:04 PM
jcp911s
Melting Slicks

Received 1,583 Likes on 795 Posts

Yeah, "leather" has become a generic term for automotive upholstery material.... frankly, as long as it doesn't look like crushed velor, doesn't stain, doesn't collect condensation in humid weather, and comes as standard equipment, I really don't want to know how it is made.

BTW, the Mongolian Alcantara is an endangered species...
Old 11-06-2022, 09:07 AM
vettenrg
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is an old thread but I have a question for the group... given the different interior materials, what do I use to clean the interior? For example, do I use leather conditioner on every surface that looks leather? And Armoural on the obvious "plastic" parts? I have heard that using Armoural on leather is not good so I don't want to mess up! Thanks.

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
Mulan leather is a manufactured leather made by grinding up leather scraps, mixing with bonding agents and then forming sheets. The "pattern" is embossed into the material.

Napa leather is real natural leather. It has a softer feel than Mulan.
Old 11-06-2022, 10:06 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^
The Owner's Manual says water with a little soap! Even the real tanned animal hide Napa leather is coated with thin plastic for protection.

BUT it also says IF you use a cleaner:

To prevent dirt particle abrasions, regularly
clean the vehicle's interior. Before using
cleaners, read and follow all safety
instructions on the label. While cleaning the
interior, open the doors and windows to get
proper ventilation. Newspapers or dark
garments can transfer color to the vehicle’s
Use cleaners specifically designed for the
surfaces being cleaned to prevent
permanent damage to the vehicle. Apply
all cleaners directly to a cleaning cloth.
Do not spray cleaners on any switches or
controls.

Never rub any surface aggressively or
with too much pressure.
. Do not get any exposed electrical
components wet.
. Do not use laundry detergents or
dishwashing soaps with degreasers. Do
not use solutions that contain strong
or caustic soap.
. Do not heavily saturate the upholstery
when cleaning.
. Do not use solvents or cleaners
containing solvents.
. Do not use disinfecting wipes that are
scented or contain bleach. Do not use
wipes or cleaners that show a color
transfer to the wipe or change the
appearance of the interior surface
when used.
. Do not use scented or gel-type hand
sanitizers. If hand sanitizer comes in
contact with interior surfaces of the
vehicle, blot immediately and clean
with a soft cloth dampened with a
mild soap and water solution.

All that said have not had to use my preferred Zaino cleaner on my 2020 Natural Dipped. However, wife had white leather (probably faux) on her prior BMW X5 SUV. Her new designer jeans caused a blue stain on the bolster. She asked me what I used (very surprising.) I was able to remove it with my Zaino leather, vinyl cleaner! I have their "conditioner" that says leather and vinyl but seldom use it and then ONLY on my Nappa leather seats. Smells nice!
The following users liked this post:
vettenrg (11-06-2022)
Old 11-06-2022, 12:07 PM
vettenrg
3rd Gear

Thanks for the reply!
JerryU (11-06-2022)
Old 11-06-2022, 12:46 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Received 8,571 Likes on 4,287 Posts

Originally Posted by vettenrg
This is an old thread but I have a question for the group... given the different interior materials, what do I use to clean the interior? For example, do I use leather conditioner on every surface that looks leather? And Armoural on the obvious "plastic" parts? I have heard that using Armoural on leather is not good so I don't want to mess up! Thanks.
Even Mulan "real leather" is coated in plastic. Except for real high end cars, ALL automotive leather is coated for wear resistance and ease of cleaning. So a leather treatment is probably not going to even penetrate to the real leather.

And in a 2LT, the "leather" on the dash, console and doors is actually TPU (ThermoplasticPolyUrethane) or "synthetic leather" And in a 3LT, the only Napa is the seat inserts (unless you get the microsuede inserts - in which case there's no Napa at all. The dash, console and doors are all Mulan.
Old 11-06-2022, 01:00 PM
vettenrg
3rd Gear

Thanks! Good information to know. Well, that makes cleaning much easier! Shouldn't have wasted money on the leather conditioner I purchased!
Old 11-06-2022, 01:40 PM
undecided1965
Burning Brakes

Received 477 Likes on 286 Posts
Default Let's define real high end.

Originally Posted by Red Mist Rulz
Even Mulan "real leather" is coated in plastic. Except for real high end cars, ALL automotive leather is coated for wear resistance and ease of cleaning. So a leather treatment is probably not going to even penetrate to the real leather.

And in a 2LT, the "leather" on the dash, console and doors is actually TPU (ThermoplasticPolyUrethane) or "synthetic leather" And in a 3LT, the only Napa is the seat inserts (unless you get the microsuede inserts - in which case there's no Napa at all. The dash, console and doors are all Mulan.
What's real high end? Most german cars have leather when they advertise leather.
mefly2 (11-06-2022)
Old 06-05-2023, 07:36 AM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

Sorry to hear that you are having this problem
Old 06-05-2023, 12:57 PM
89Roadster
Race Director

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Saw this on numerous occasions when I was shopping for a C7, even saw it on a '19

Old 06-05-2023, 01:09 PM
papillion
Safety Car

Received 2,381 Likes on 1,168 Posts

Default Perception vs Reality

Originally Posted by undecided1965
What's real high end? Most german cars have leather when they advertise leather.
Most low end BMWs use a synthetic called Sensatec. Mid range have a variation on real leather. Caveat it is heavily processed, pressure embossed to simulate a leather grain, coated, etc. Even the high end BMWs with Nappa leather, the leather is processed and coated with a polymer sealant for stain resistance and durability. So 'advertised' and fact are both interpretations. And I wouldn't consider a BMW as high end. Expensive for sure. But high end interiors are Bentley, RR, Bugatti.
Old 06-05-2023, 07:39 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Received 8,571 Likes on 4,287 Posts

Originally Posted by undecided1965
Yes, they're real leather. And coated with a plastic sealer, just like the leather in a Corvette. Buy a Rolls and your butt is touching cowhide. Buy a Bimmer or Mercedes, and it's touching a layer of plastic.
Old 06-06-2023, 09:51 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^^
Not so sure all German Cars use real leather. Here is why. In certain countries you cannot call products like Mulan leather. Argentina was one. Australia sued Toyota some time for calling a seat material they use (SofTex) leather and won. Toyota is now more honest that GM and most US furniture sellers and say:
SofTex is a synthetic leather material that is used in Toyota vehicles. It’s meant as an alternative to leather. The material is designed from thermoplastic polyurethane, otherwise known as TPU.
Toyota offers SofTex because it cleans easily and is virtually maintenance-free. It also resists spills. Even though it’s not leather, it remains soft to the touch, but at half the weight.
With the construction, it generates about 85% less CO2 emissions. Considering this gas is the primary driver of climate change, it’s easy to see how SofTex is better for the environment.
It’s also rated at 99% less Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) than traditional synthetic leather, making it a healthier option. Furthermore, it doesn’t include animal-based materials.

I checked and the Law in Germany and for many products cannot call faux leather "leather." BUT cars are exempt (at least were!) Probably for competitive reasons. Some believe (or want to believe) Mulan is real leather! And GM words don't say it's not (also don't say it is!) Yet in their literature they use the word leather. Like Chryslers Corinthian Leather that was faux leather!
Old 06-06-2023, 12:28 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 549 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
^^^^
Not so sure all German Cars use real leather.
I checked and the Law in Germany and for many products cannot call faux leather "leather." BUT cars are exempt (at least were!) Probably for competitive reasons. Some believe (or want to believe) Mulan is real leather! And GM words don't say it's not (also don't say it is!) Yet in their literature they use the word leather. Like Chryslers Corinthian Leather that was faux leather!
Here's a post from CF forum that discloses the LT3 interiors for C8's are made by Faurecia a French company. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-corvette.html. From the article: Faurecia who also makes interiors for Bugatti, Ferrari, Audi, and Mercedes Benz among others. Faurecia recently signed a contract to make interiors for 6 million BMW vehicles. https://www.bmwblog.com/2018/03/30/b...lion-vehicles/. Given no other information than the references, it's reasonable to believe the leather interiors in C8's are similar to those of German cars.

Owning a C6, I was interested to read that the LT3 interiors for C6's were made by Lear Industries. No problem with my LT3 interior. Still looks like it did when I got the car.

Last edited by 68/70Vette; 06-06-2023 at 12:37 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Leather interior colors/materials

Old 06-06-2023, 12:33 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,204 Likes on 3,405 Posts

Originally Posted by 68/70Vette
Here's a post from CF forum that discloses the LT3 interiors for C8's are made by Faurecia a French company. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-corvette.html
Faurecia assembles the interior components but they don't make the materials. They likely use whatever materials the car manufacturers specify. I.e., Chevrolet likely specifies different materials than Bugatti. And they assemble the interiors for all C8s, not just 3LT trim levels.
Old 06-06-2023, 12:49 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 549 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by RKCRLR
Faurecia assembles the interior components but they don't make the materials. They likely use whatever materials the car manufacturers specify. I.e., Chevrolet likely specifies different materials than Bugatti.
My guess is that the materials used are subject to negotiation between Faurecia and GM. It looks like Faurecia's manufacturing processes are highly keyed to the properties of the material, the "leather" they use. Faurecia looks like a huge company, I'd imagine they manufacturer their interior materials, so have them as a subcontractor means you most likely are constrained to use their interior material. Yes, I also think that the really high end automobile manufacturers, like I've read of Rolls Royce in the past, do specify their own leather sources.
Old 06-06-2023, 01:48 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,204 Likes on 3,405 Posts

The leather is supplied by Bader (which also has a bonded leather). The other soft touch materials are Alura Elite (a TPO) provided by Haartz:
The following 2 users liked this post by RKCRLR:
langhorne_bill (06-07-2023), Two vets (06-07-2023)

Quick Reply: Leather interior colors/materials