Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!!!!!!! Factory car cover stained my car!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2020, 11:04 AM
JP Vincent
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear. Beautiful color Listen to the others who are suggesting a detailer who is good at paint correction — and I would start with those who have a good reputation for putting clear wrap on a car — since they usually correct the paint first (taking out all the orange peel). I suspect that will remove these “stains” and you’ll have an even better looking car. Forget trying to do it yourself—as it doesn't sound like you have the experience to properly take a DA polisher to it with the necessary products/procedures to do it properly (not that you couldn’t learn to do so).

As for car covers—I’ve had my own crappy experience with them—so don’t use them any more. Most recently had an indoor cover on a car (not a vette but also fiberglass/composite) that was stored for a few months. Had a leak in the kitchen that went through the garage ceiling and soaked the front of the cover—and by the time I discovered it the cover was dry but the paint had blistered. After discussing with several body shops (most of whom were unsure of exactly why it would have blistered) one explained that as the water drained through the Sheetrock it was contaminated by the various chemical compounds in the Sheetrock, including lye—and that’s what blistered the paint.

Good luck and and keep us posted—but I truly think this can be corrected.
The following users liked this post:
pdr (08-16-2020)
Old 08-15-2020, 11:11 AM
z06inVB
Race Director

Received 1,108 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by ByRiver
Since buying my first Corvette five years ago, I've found out it isn't supposed to be driven in the rain. The seller told me he owned the car for three years and it has never been in the rain. I thought he was nutty when he told me that. It sounded so strange. I drove it in the rain three days after I bought it. After a wash it looked just as shiny as the day when I picked it up from that guy.

Then after joining CF, I see where a Corvette can't or shouldn't sit outside overnight without being covered. All my vehicles sat outside in the parking lot while I'm at work, and the paint seems perfectly fine. Even after years of being outdoors and being covered with snow. Cars were meant to be outside, they aren't leather sofa's.
I have always just driven my Vettes. Done everything from snow to flooding to hail. Sometimes I could use the garage but most times not. Sure they got some battle scars but it was all part of the fun of driving them.

I never have gotten the stress people put themselves through over trying to keep these things perfect.
The following 3 users liked this post by z06inVB:
ByRiver (08-15-2020), fpfaeth (08-16-2020), RapidC84B (08-15-2020)
Old 08-15-2020, 11:23 AM
ValenciaOrange
Pro

Received 192 Likes on 110 Posts

I would just stop and wait for some answers from the dealer or who ever you contacted. Don’t turn the screw one more time. You know what will happen. Hopefully you will get this resolved quickly.
Old 08-15-2020, 11:26 AM
SpeedyD
Melting Slicks

Received 144 Likes on 70 Posts

I can understand you want this fixed and you want to toy with it yourself but you are very likely doing more damage than good. Go to dealership and insist they pay for your choice of detailer to handle it. This is out of your league and let someone who knows what they are doing take care of it. Not trying to be a jerk - just don't want to see you mess up your car more.
Trebor (08-15-2020)
Old 08-15-2020, 11:41 AM
TARANTULA
Melting Slicks

Received 1,035 Likes on 468 Posts

I used a cover on my black Porsche for years while part at the airport for days never had a problem. Good luck OP.
Old 08-15-2020, 12:15 PM
Second Vette
Drifting

Received 642 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by JDSC7VETTE
There is no soft inner liner on tyvec house wrap either.
Gee whiz, I did not know that...

Back to watching Reruns of This Old House for me.
Old 08-15-2020, 01:18 PM
BigBoyRon
Pro

Received 337 Likes on 199 Posts

Just drive the car. You can't see the stains from the driver's seat. I really can't see stains in the pictures.
Old 08-15-2020, 01:38 PM
SD1
Burning Brakes

Received 343 Likes on 170 Posts

To the OP, sorry that you are having problems, if you are in St. Augustine, pm me or come by and let us look at it.

AND, I bet $20 bazillion dollars, somewhere on that cover is a tag that reads.... "Made in China"
V RED 08 (08-15-2020)
Old 08-15-2020, 02:00 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,923 Likes on 1,365 Posts

Originally Posted by thill444
Why would GM cover this under warranty and let him Lemon Law? I seriously doubt that. It's not a paint defect from the factory. It's a paint defect from using a car cover in his environment. This can happen to any car, it's not a Corvette issue.
Because it was a GM car cover and a GM car. Unless they had specifically stated not to use the GM outdoor cover outdoors, GM is liable. This is cut and dry. If GM didn't take responsibility right away, I would get a lawyer.

Last edited by Michael A; 08-15-2020 at 02:00 PM.
Old 08-15-2020, 02:01 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BigBoyRon
Just drive the car. You can't see the stains from the driver's seat. I really can't see stains in the pictures.
Yeah, right.
Old 08-15-2020, 02:04 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by z06inVB
I have always just driven my Vettes. Done everything from snow to flooding to hail. Sometimes I could use the garage but most times not. Sure they got some battle scars but it was all part of the fun of driving them.

I never have gotten the stress people put themselves through over trying to keep these things perfect.
Good for you, but this is a brand new car. Just like some people look like slobs, and other take care of their appearance, the same applies to care.
Old 08-15-2020, 02:33 PM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
Because it was a GM car cover and a GM car. Unless they had specifically stated not to use the GM outdoor cover outdoors, GM is liable. This is cut and dry. If GM didn't take responsibility right away, I would get a lawyer.
I believe the OP corrected his error that it was a GM cover. It was aftermarket.
Old 08-15-2020, 03:41 PM
tobaccokid
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts

Unbelievable logic. The ceiling leaks above car w/cover yet the leak is not blamed, but it's the covers fault.

No wonder society is in such disrepair these days. Place the blame exactly where it belongs - the leak, duh, and it's no effort whatsoever to throw a flat sheet of very thin plastic sheet, like used in body shops, to sit on top of the cover. Reason is not only if a ceiling has the possibility of a leak but it will keep a lot of the dust off as the dust can easily penetrate a fabric car cover. A plastic car cover can be considered if you know how to deal with the possibility of condensation, the type/construction of building, and its air handling systems.

Have used many different types of covers in different application for the past 50 years - old cars, new cars, restored cars, right up the present. Never had a problem.

Last edited by tobaccokid; 08-16-2020 at 02:00 PM.
Old 08-15-2020, 03:52 PM
Neverenough14
Pro

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Ragtop 99
If the cover was advertised for outdoor use, it is time to contact the dealer. You are not the only person to have an issue with the C8 factory car cover, GM part # 84865968. That person is working with his dealer to get GM to cover the cost of fixing his car. His car suffered staining to both painted areas and it damaged his XPEL PPF.

Go to your dealer first if you want any chance of being reimbursed.
I guess I am glad they are backordered. Cancelling my order.
Old 08-15-2020, 05:04 PM
6speedsteve
Drifting

Received 488 Likes on 313 Posts

What sets Covercraft's Weathershield HP apart is its advanced solution-dyed production process. Every fiber that's spun together in this impressive fabric is dyed from the inside out, rather than merely getting a surface treatment. This cutting-edge technique makes your Weathershield HP Car Cover fade resistant, so its color remains vibrant even when exposed to harsh sunlight. Plus, it will not transfer onto light-colored paint jobs!

Old 08-15-2020, 08:31 PM
Fat Mike
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 730 Likes on 610 Posts

Good luck OP. I am confident you will get this sorted out.
Old 08-15-2020, 10:38 PM
50MileSmile
Burning Brakes

Received 213 Likes on 97 Posts

A few thoughts for the OP I don’t think have been expressed here. Most are highly unlikely but possible.

1. Did you inspect your car carefully under different types of light before taking it home? Is there even a 1% chance this paint defect could have happened in the paint shop at Bowling Green, and it’s subtle enough that it passed the assembly plant’s (and your) inspections? (Believe it or not, there have been paint problems reported on Corvettes coming out of Bowling Green.)

2. Was the car bone-dry (everything, including the doorjambs) when you put the cover on? I’ve used many covers from different manufacturers over the years with no problems, and some of them discouraged putting a cover on a wet car. I’ve been told that water trapped under a breatheable or “waterproof” cover is different than water hitting the cover from outside. Water trapped under a cover could chemically react with the cover and its chemicals and the environmentally “safer” paints now in use for cars, causing a stain to “sublimate” into or through the clearcoat, especially in hot conditions. You’ve probably seen the real sublimation process on signs, trophy plates and employee-of-the-month plaques, where the words and pictures seem to be covered with a clearcoat - but actually they’re sublimated into the clearcoat by heat to make them scratch- and vandal-proof. I had a light-gray stain happen on a white, clear-coated surface after I dripped gray primer on it. About 3/4 of the primer came off with chemicals and polishes, but the rest worked its way into the clearcoat, where it still irritates me every time I look at it. The only solution is a repaint.

3. Have you dye-tested the cover to see if you can pull any color out of it? Take a 100% cotton white towel dampened in cold water and rub a small area on the underside of the cover. Did any of the car cover’s color transfer to the towel? If so, you know the dye in the cover isn’t very stable and could bleed when wet. If you don’t get any discoloration on your white towel, try it again with hot water.

4. As others have said here, stop screwing with the damaged areas. In my garage, I have about every chemical/wax/cleaner/polish for use by hand or machine known to mankind, and I’ve also (almost) learned when not to use them. Leave it to the pros.

If this happened to me, I’d be going absolutely berserk - and I hope you get it resolved soon.

The following 2 users liked this post by 50MileSmile:
AORoads (08-17-2020), Michael A (08-16-2020)

Get notified of new replies

To HELP!!!!!!! Factory car cover stained my car!!!!!!!

Old 08-16-2020, 06:04 AM
JDSC8VETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 2,899 Likes on 1,161 Posts

Originally Posted by Second Vette
Gee whiz, I did not know that...

Back to watching Reruns of This Old House for me.

I know it felt ICKY right. I said it was a material like Tyvec house wrap. I have no idea why you would think it would be anything like a quality car cover.

Did you ever notice when the dealer leaves one of those cardboard floor protectors after servicing your car they aren’t anything like a quality floor mat?
Old 08-16-2020, 11:25 AM
craig1952
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Logically car covers are an accident waiting to happen. The only times I have ever used them is when I’ved stored a car for winter. I hand washed the car and let it completely dry. I also washed the cover. If both aren’t perfectly clean you’re asking for problems.
I do hope your car gets fixed to your satisfaction!
Old 08-16-2020, 12:58 PM
StFarmer
Instructor

Received 124 Likes on 35 Posts

It’s a little late for you but watch this

Quick Reply: HELP!!!!!!! Factory car cover stained my car!!!!!!!