Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did y’all get charged over MSRP once delivered?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2020, 10:13 AM
Spowell637
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 28 Posts

Radley Chevrolet are you listening?
Old 08-15-2020, 10:13 AM
C8 wantabe
Cruising

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by EloyGarcia
I just found out today my dealer is adding +$10K over sticker price once my car gets delivered. I was not told that when I put my $5k deposit down. They also told me I could have my $5K back when the car arrives since I had a trade in I wanted to use.
Did y’all get charged over sticker price even though you made an order?
I thought I heard GM told dealers not to do that for the C8. I feel like I should contact someone at GM. Any opinions?
I believe you have an implied contract and I would file an injunction for 150 bucks.. this way they cannot sell the vehicle until it’s resolved. If they sell the car while the injunction is in place then you have a larger claim against the dealer.
Old 08-15-2020, 01:37 PM
C6Tim
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by lrobe22
People have reported having a written agreement with final price, yet still the dealer bait and switching at delivery saying “take it or leave it”.
If a customer has the details in writing with no fine print saying the dealer has the option to change the terms of the contract without notice then they have a great case for breach of contract. I feel sorry for the OP but he made a rookie mistake trusting a dealership. DO NOT go into a dealership to negotiate a car deal. Stay home and complete the build with the salesman via email and include specific verbiage in the end of what you understand the deal to be and once they reply acknowledging the price you have a contract. Only go to a dealership to look at colors and options and don't allow them to pressure you to stay and talk money. Have an excuse already prepared why you cannot stay and get their contact info to begin negotiating via email from the comfort of your couch. The chances of you making a bad decision while at home feeling no pressure is low while the chances of you making a terrible decision is high if they have you cornered in a cubicle at the dealership. We have all been there... you start out talking to the lowest level salesperson for an hour or so while he/she goes back and forth to talk to their mgr. Then the next level begins when the salesman eventually brings in his/her first line supervisor and before you know it you have been there for hours.

The bottom line is there really is no excuse for getting taken by a dealership these days. Be patient, do your homework and never believe anything unless you get it in writing. Salesman live off sales so even the most honest among them are tempted to do whatever it takes to make the most money to provide for their families so don't make the mistake of thinking they are your friend because they certainly are not.
Old 08-15-2020, 02:28 PM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,942 Likes on 2,428 Posts

I always buy from MacMulkin and never ever worry about funny games. The small dealers have been nothing but trouble for me.
Old 08-15-2020, 05:15 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,656 Likes on 6,653 Posts

Originally Posted by EloyGarcia
I believe the Dealer made the order. I just walked in one day, asked if they had any available, they brought me 8 papers with the all the options, prices and even status of the cars and they said I could pick which ever one I liked. Picked one and it showed the MSRP price, then I gave them $5K to claim it and that was about it. No where did it say +$10K anywhere and it was never mentioned. Kinda disappointed.
The sales manager told me they charged the “first batch of customers” +$15K and the second batch was $10k and that’s the lowest it would go.
“Non-negotiable”
Originally Posted by C8broughtmeback
These stories keep coming in and I feel horrible for all these people waiting for many months only to find the dealer changes the rules in the middle of the game...
If the OP just walked in and the dealer had a car for him to drive or soon to drive, yep $10,000 over MSRP is about right! If you waited a year to get one like many of us that would be bad! Does not sound like the OP waited a year!

Yep, the large Chevy/BMW/Mercedes Dealer in town told me they would be asking over MSRP for their limited C8 allocations. Fair, supply and demand and you know up front! This February when I had the wife's BMW SUV in for service he told me they got their asking $12,000 over MSRP for one and over that for the other because the person wanted the first in town!

Last edited by JerryU; 08-15-2020 at 05:19 PM.
Old 08-15-2020, 05:27 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
That doesn't matter - "final" price can be specified in the contract as "at MSRP".
Yep, I've purchased 3 from Kerbeck and paid exactly what was quoted. Great folks. For my early 2014 Z51, I place an order soon after the January 2013 launch with one of the few dealers offering to sell at MSRP, Hendrick in Cary NC. Kerbeck was not talking 2014 orders at that time. I had an agreement at MSRP and neither of us new what that would be until May! Could have gotten my refundable $1000 back as I could have from Kerbeck up until it got close to them placing a "Build Order."
Old 08-15-2020, 05:44 PM
Telepicker
Racer

Received 183 Likes on 44 Posts

MacMulkin rules!
Liam Doyle at MacMulkin rules!
waiting area with restaurant and free snacks at MacMulkin rules!
Authorized Rolex Dealer across from MacMulkin. Longs Jewelers. Go buy a Daytona while waiting for your C8.
Nashua, NH
Old 08-15-2020, 10:40 PM
Verboten993
Pro

Received 138 Likes on 82 Posts

What other fees did you pay?

destination
tax
title & registration
DOC
?
Old 08-16-2020, 04:08 AM
60minman
Heel & Toe

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow...sorry for your ordeal there. Now I'm wondering what sort of nightmare I might be walking into as well. I'm at 3300(as of Aug 10th) so in a month or two I'll be heading down to pick mine up. Ordered it in March and the dealer told me....twice..."some dealerships will go above sticker but we are not going to do that. You'll pay the msrp that it ends up being. Just wanted you to understand that up front". I said "OK thanks I'm good with that." I do have the full work order onhand with the msrp listed. But, now I'm starting to have my doubts. I have not been notified yet of any adjustments.

I get it though...."if it aint in writing." The dealership is a rather small one in Tennessee...only 16 or so total allocations.
Old 08-16-2020, 06:30 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^
Hmm, if you ordered this past March, you may not have picked what color etc you wanted or you were very lucky. If it was a car that someone ordered, the dealer placed the build order then the customer backed out, that's possible. GM was not taking orders for dealer stock ONLY for cars sold to customers was my understanding. Either way sounds like you may get "hit" with some extra's.

If you picked the cars specific's then perhaps the dealer had an allocation left when the last 2020 "Build Order" window was opened by GM. Then you were lucky and expect less concern since they went out of their way to tell you they are "only charging MSRP." However they knew what price they would be invoiced so no reason not to have you sign a sales agreement with the price and any extra's listed.

Last edited by JerryU; 08-16-2020 at 06:40 AM.
Old 08-16-2020, 09:08 AM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 620 Likes on 456 Posts

I understand the 3 largest Corvette dealers would never ask for more money than what was agreed to. Which is usually MSRP or lower.
Old 08-20-2020, 10:06 AM
HKH
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 56 Posts

Call Macmulkin and talk with a human. Excellent people and one of their conditions of employment is they cannot lie to a customer. I was 371 on their list when they received my check on 7/29. There is a thread somewhere on here discussing the MacMulkin wait list.
Old 08-20-2020, 10:10 AM
HKH
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 56 Posts

Denoyer Chevrolet in Albany New York sells C8's below MRSP. The catch is they have 60 people on their wait list and a handful of allocations.
Old 12-24-2020, 09:30 AM
Crzkoot
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert13567
Something I am worried about, 5k is what I put down at rick hendrick
Don't be surprised they are adding on extra. Had to pay 5,000.00 extra on mine that I just picked up from them. Long story and it really is sad that they do this as Rick Hendrix is a top dealer in the US with lots of locations. Good Luck. So the salesman actually told me after the sale they bought a used one for 20k over and selling it for 30 k over invoice like thats suppose to make me fell better...
There are times when the state steps in on gasoline price gouging, wish they would do something about this practice. Ford does it to. Saw a used GT500 and they were selling it for 110,000.00 on there showroom floor.
Old 12-24-2020, 09:43 AM
ZaXxon
Advanced

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Paid MSRP for mine. $150 "doc fee". That was it.
Old 12-24-2020, 09:46 AM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,592 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Most dealers have lived up to their claim of MSRP. Some don't I believe mine will. We will see, If he doesn't, I'll walk - on principal
Old 12-24-2020, 09:57 AM
Warp Ten
Drifting

Received 598 Likes on 350 Posts

Which Rick Hendrick? There are 4-or more of them..

Get notified of new replies

To Did y’all get charged over MSRP once delivered?

Old 12-24-2020, 10:45 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

I can't believe this thing got brought back to life.
Everyone needs to read post #4 and all your questions will be answered

Last edited by jimmyb; 12-24-2020 at 10:45 AM.
The following users liked this post:
919cw313 (12-24-2020)
Old 12-24-2020, 11:04 AM
Jeff Eikenberry
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

I’d be shocked if it were Rick Hendricks, of NASCAR fame. I’ve purchased my last two Corvettes from his dealership network and never had any issues. Placed my orders with no down payments, and only paid MSRP. In fact, I canceled my C8 ordered thru them, and when the car was produced, they suggested I take a couple of days to be certain I really wanted to cancel. Glad they did, as I reconsidered and took delivery. This was back in Early March (my vin ends in 0610). They assured me they could easily sell the car, but wanted to be certain I really didn’t want it. Can you imagine what they could have sold this nicely optioned Z51 for?

If your issue is truly with the Rick Hendrick of NASCAR fame, I’d definitely contact his corporate headquarters and explain your concerns. Also, there is an “official “ post showing dealers who were selling C8’s at MSRP, and there are a large number of Hendrick dealers who were selling MSRP. None were shown as not.

Good luck!
Old 12-24-2020, 01:24 PM
Crzkoot
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

what dealer?

Quick Reply: Did y’all get charged over MSRP once delivered?