Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Flying Frunk Club...!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2020, 07:17 PM
blackmagicZ
Melting Slicks

Received 400 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by MesquiteTim
id like to see the video because the story sounds fishy. The headlight button only works when the fob is within 3 ft of that button. Maybe there is a typo in the manual?

I just went out to the garage to see if I could open the hood and the back trunk if the car is unlocked. I left the fob in the house. They will open as long as the car is not locked. I went back inside the house and got the fob, went back into the garage and pushed the lock button. Then I put the fob back in the house, went out to the garage and tried to open the hood, it was locked.

Moral of this story, always lock your car.
The following users liked this post:
VIPKLR (09-16-2020)
Old 08-20-2020, 08:02 PM
ChristianAnarchist
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm not taking any chances. I've rigged a simple chain system from hardware store parts for about $10. I've used 5 stout key rings, about 13" of small but stout chain and a clip like a doggie collar. (I really should get some pics uploaded - maybe later).

One ring goes on the hood lock U-bar with a short piece of chain with another ring and then the clip thingy. Two rings go over the two nubbins in the trunk for the cargo net (the cargo net helps keep the rings from falling off and the last ring is in the center of a chain that fastens to both of the cargo net nubbin rings. It's an extra step to clip the clip thingy to the ring on the cargo net chain thingy every time I open the trunk but I'm willing to do it for the piece of mind...

If I'm not to lazy I'll try to follow up with some pics but tomorrow I'm putting in the extra oil in the trans because I'm tracking it Friday (in the beginner class because I'm a beginner...)

P.S. You do have to be careful when closing the hood that the ring on the U bar does not fall into the lock causing a possible jam. The weight of the chains will pull it into the trunk if you make sure to give it a guiding hand...
Old 08-20-2020, 08:48 PM
MesquiteTim
Advanced

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by blackmagicZ
I just went out to the garage to see if I could open the hood and the back trunk if the car is unlocked. I left the fob in the house. They will open as long as the car is not locked. I went back inside the house and got the fob, went back into the garage and pushed the lock button. Then I put the fob back in the house, went out to the garage and tried to open the hood, it was locked.

So anyone can open a C8 frunk if the car is not locked. Brilliant. It's NOT a trunk, it's a HOOD. I predict another update coming.
Old 08-20-2020, 09:02 PM
shiumai
Burning Brakes

Received 1,104 Likes on 496 Posts
Modified C8 of the Year 2021 Winner

Here's something I found interesting buried in this thread: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...eum-to-az.html

The OP wrote: "The most unpleasant part was the apprehension of waiting for the frunk to pop open. While in a parking garage in Nashville I was in park using my phone to get the address of the hotel when I heard a pop, pop. Both the trunk and frunk opened. The Red warning light and bell went off. I closed them and it never happened again though my TPMS has quit working since and will not reload."

Thoughts on this?

Last edited by shiumai; 08-20-2020 at 09:02 PM.
Old 08-20-2020, 09:17 PM
CanAm Ken
Racer

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by MesquiteTim
id like to see the video because the story sounds fishy. The headlight button only works when the fob is within 3 ft of that button. Maybe there is a typo in the manual?
Nope.... Not a fish story. Right after my buddy told me about his C8, I tried it on mine.. When unlocked I pressed the frunk release button on the nose, and the frunk latches opened. When the car was locked with the fob the latches did not release (and the frunk did not open).

In an earlier comment (above), apparently the trunk can also be opened with the "body button" as well (with the car unlocked)--to me that is not so much a problem, because the frunk popping open would present more serious consequences.

Others: you might want to try opening your frunk with the release button when the car is unlocked........ I hope my buddy and I aren't the only ones..... Then again, I wished none of us were....

Yep. ALWAYS lock your C8, I guess. Techology.... 'tis a wonderful thing......

Last edited by CanAm Ken; 08-20-2020 at 09:24 PM.
Old 08-20-2020, 10:00 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,656 Likes on 6,653 Posts

I think the passive locking is a great feature. Even like the beep when it happens as makes anyone that is around know it's locked! I have always used when it has been an option as in both C7s. No big deal to get the FOB when in the garage. When working on the car it's in my pocket,

Last edited by JerryU; 08-20-2020 at 10:02 PM.
Old 08-20-2020, 10:59 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,383 Likes on 2,070 Posts

Of corse the trunk and frunk are unlocked and will open when the car is unlocked. The back hatch opens on my Enclave and my Excursion.

Heck I think on some Ford SUVs the back hatch opens when you stick your foot under it.

I f you car is unlocked they can open th door and open your frunk and trunk from inside the car.

I must be missing your really important revelation.
The following 4 users liked this post by Racer X:
JerryU (08-21-2020), Kubicide (08-20-2020), Neverenough14 (08-21-2020), speedlink (08-21-2020)
Old 08-20-2020, 11:37 PM
blackmagicZ
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Racer X
Of corse the trunk and frunk are unlocked and will open when the car is unlocked. The back hatch opens on my Enclave and my Excursion.

Heck I think on some Ford SUVs the back hatch opens when you stick your foot under it.

I f you car is unlocked they can open th door and open your frunk and trunk from inside the car.

I must be missing your really important revelation.
‘It’s not a revelation, it’s being aware that anyone can pop the hood when you’re away from the car. If you happen to return to the car from the rear, you may not notice the hoods been opened and drive off, and not see or hear the warning.
Old 08-21-2020, 12:16 AM
CanAm Ken
Racer

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

‘It’s not a revelation, it’s being aware that anyone can pop the hood when you’re away from the car. If you happen to return to the car from the rear, you may not notice the hoods been opened and drive off, and not see or hear the warning.
Yep, Blackmagic....well said.... 'zackly my point. Anyone would casually walk past the front of your C8 and quickly pop the frunk, without making much of a scene..... and now, it appears some non-Corvette folks realize what an unlatched frunk can result in...... so yes..... from now on, I'll lock my C8, even in my driveway of my home.....

Last edited by CanAm Ken; 08-21-2020 at 12:19 AM.
Old 08-21-2020, 12:39 AM
blackmagicZ
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CanAm Ken
Yep, Blackmagic....well said.... 'zackly my point. Anyone would casually walk past the front of your C8 and quickly pop the frunk, without making much of a scene..... and now, it appears some non-Corvette folks realize what an unlatched frunk can result in...... so yes..... from now on, I'll lock my C8, even in my driveway of my home.....
‘Thank you.
Old 08-21-2020, 08:30 AM
C8J
Le Mans Master

Received 3,152 Likes on 1,717 Posts

Originally Posted by CanAm Ken
.....I'll lock my C8, even in my driveway of my home.....
I don't dare leave my C8 in my driveway. It is always in the garage. Once I reach 500 under cover - less often driven - not a daily driver. Since some have seen it, they just park their car and walk up now. No way, is it going to be available to the "public" without me there. The interest and "respect" is nice, but not safe yet. Even worse on the interstate. Keeping to off roads for now.
Old 08-21-2020, 08:58 AM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

they[gm] should have put a mechanical safety latch like they have in the last 50 years and this wouldnt have happened,,

but they let the GOV tell them how to build cars

all because some ''STUPID POS'' politician thought they knew better then an engineer,that built cars for a living
Old 08-21-2020, 09:13 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,656 Likes on 6,653 Posts

^^^
Yep had a reach in and manually trip a safety latch on my 1st car a 1941 Ford! My 5 prior Vettes were the safest in that regard, all opened with front hingers. BUT also had 2 Corvairs with Frunks that had a 2 position lock safety switch that did NOT require "reaching in to trip the lever." Granted no electronics, they used a key! BUT they built ~2 million and don't recall an issue every raised. AND we had Ralph Nader spewing his BS safety info, which was driver error! He'd be a great creating hysteria poster if we had a Forum at the time!

Agree the Corvair did not have a politician dictated kids pull lever in those FRUNKS! Not needed, kids back in the day were smarter!

Last edited by JerryU; 08-21-2020 at 09:19 AM.
89talon (08-24-2020)
Old 08-21-2020, 09:49 AM
gbf_98070
Racer

Received 291 Likes on 109 Posts

Horsepower Obsessed reported today that GM is halting C8 deliveries while they develop and distribute an over the air software patch to address the uncommanded frunk openings. Does anyone know about this?
Old 08-21-2020, 11:02 AM
HyperX
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

https://carbuzz.com/news/chevrolet-s...htiNiMFoZBzlkI
Old 08-21-2020, 11:19 AM
C8J
Le Mans Master

Received 3,152 Likes on 1,717 Posts

Reposting Breaking News
As I mentioned, i contacted the CC re the Frunk and OTAU. Following is their reply

Thank you for providing your feedback. We will certainly provide this to our team.
We recently got an update on the OTA recall and the OTA update is targeted to be complete by the night of August 25th. We get out information directly from Chevrolet. What we have to communicate is the information that Chevrolet provides to our group
Undy (08-21-2020)
Old 08-21-2020, 11:50 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,669 Likes on 8,312 Posts

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500
they[gm] should have put a mechanical safety latch like they have in the last 50 years and this wouldnt have happened,,

but they let the GOV tell them how to build cars

all because some ''STUPID POS'' politician thought they knew better then an engineer,that built cars for a living
The government did not tell them how to design the C8 system. It only makes decisions about whether someone is in compliance with a rule or law. No one else has a problem complying with this simple federal safety requirement. GM created this problem all by themselves.

NHTSA does not assess a vehicle for compliance with safety requirements before it goes into production. Manufacturers are expected to comply and only intervene later when the agency learns they may have not.

Last edited by Foosh; 08-21-2020 at 12:16 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To The Flying Frunk Club...!

Old 08-21-2020, 12:40 PM
blackmagicZ
Melting Slicks

This is what I got updated this morning.
Old 08-21-2020, 03:33 PM
Greg G
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Why 26MPH? They should have made it so the car would not move!
Old 08-21-2020, 04:37 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by gbf_98070
Horsepower Obsessed reported today that GM is halting C8 deliveries while they develop and distribute an over the air software patch to address the uncommanded frunk openings. Does anyone know about this?
Very old news.

Quick Reply: The Flying Frunk Club...!