Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picture/Avatar on Infotainment Screen

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2021, 06:09 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,579 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Originally Posted by Stingray Sam
I don’t have OCD. I have CDO because I need it to be in alphabetical order.
Old 04-20-2021, 06:13 PM
C8J
Le Mans Master

Received 3,152 Likes on 1,717 Posts

Originally Posted by Broken Halo
I heard back from my neighbor on the GM Infotainment design team. This was his response:

"I did get the response from the design folks and they are aware of this desire. This might be possible when we bring google automotive services to the C8 because that will allow the user to setup profiles and bring some content through their google cloud account."
Then it will just be which Big Brother will know all about you - even more.
Old 02-06-2022, 09:19 PM
JRYELLOWCORVETTE
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

The following 3 users liked this post by JRYELLOWCORVETTE:
arcticblast (02-07-2022), Blaque Diamond Wheels (02-07-2022), marc4427 (02-07-2022)
Old 02-07-2022, 11:17 AM
BIG Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 4,684 Likes on 1,862 Posts

I don’t feel the benefit outweighs the risk. Today it’s an innocent jpeg of an Air Force girl. Tomorrow it’s a virus-infected pic downloaded off a foreign website and after uploading it to your C8 your whole C8 locks up, or worse the brakes shut off while driving. And at the minimum if your C8 starts acting wonky, you’ll expect it to be repaired under warranty, at GM’s expense. Or at worst the C8 fails to respond to steering/braking and if there are fatalities, GM makes headlines because their vehicles lose control. Doesn’t seem to me its’s worth it!
The following users liked this post:
3LZR21U (11-07-2023)
Old 02-07-2022, 10:05 PM
0Blaque Diamond Wheels
Former Vendor

Received 388 Likes on 226 Posts

Absolutely gorgeous!
Old 02-08-2022, 12:54 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Received 8,543 Likes on 4,277 Posts

Originally Posted by C8J
Then it will just be which Big Brother will know all about you - even more.
GM already uploads a crapload of data from your car, even if you don't use OnStar. If you have a cell phone, Big Brother already knows more about you than he'll find out from your car. And if you drive a car, any car, everything you do is recorded in the on-board "black box." Oh, and the infotainment system already runs on Android, just not "Android Automotive, which is not the same as Android Auto. Don't expect to see an upgrade to Android Automotive for you existing C8, though.
Old 11-06-2023, 08:38 AM
Kcin74
7th Gear

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm gonna dredge this post up from the dead because I was just looking into this myself.

Originally Posted by Broken Halo
My neighbor is on the 'Infotainment Group' team at GM.
Let your neighbor know that the inability to upload custom avatars isn't the biggest fail, I get it, that could open vulnerabilities they don't want to deal with. The biggest fail is that the included avatars are so incredibly LAME to begin with. Flowers, scenery and patterns? FFS. How about Chevy logos in the colors of the car? Corvette emblems? Checkered flags, racing helmets with different color visors, carbon ceramic brakes, Z51 logos. The list of stuff that would be a staggering improvement over what was already provided is endless.
The following 5 users liked this post by Kcin74:
Deus_Meridius (11-07-2023), djp2313 (11-07-2023), INTIMIDAT3R (11-08-2023), Red Mist Rulz (11-06-2023), Tin-can (11-08-2023)
Old 11-06-2023, 03:25 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Received 8,543 Likes on 4,277 Posts

I just read that Google is working on allowing users to choose a custom background in Android Auto, for whatever that's worth. Usually I have a map displayed full screen when in AA, so I'm not sure a custom background accomplishes anything there.

In any case, GM has moved on from the infotainment system in the 2020 - 2023 to a Google supplied system in the 2024, so it's a safe bet we'll never see an update to the earlier software.
Old 11-06-2023, 06:19 PM
sshallen
Burning Brakes

Received 679 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG Dave
I don’t feel the benefit outweighs the risk. Today it’s an innocent jpeg of an Air Force girl. Tomorrow it’s a virus-infected pic downloaded off a foreign website and after uploading it to your C8 your whole C8 locks up, or worse the brakes shut off while driving. And at the minimum if your C8 starts acting wonky, you’ll expect it to be repaired under warranty, at GM’s expense. Or at worst the C8 fails to respond to steering/braking and if there are fatalities, GM makes headlines because their vehicles lose control. Doesn’t seem to me its’s worth it!
LOL

Old 11-07-2023, 01:09 PM
wbear
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Ha Ha I have to chuckle, we don't have to worry about which of the crappy supplied pics to choose from on the 24 Google infested Infotainment system.
Chevy/google removed the option to have ANY pic for your profile! They also removed the option to assign/tie your profile to one of the fobs.
Unless I am a fool and am totally missing the oblivious and can't figure it out.
20 -23 systems are totally different from the 24 the have forced on us. Making it better? Hardly, how about making more $ from Us. Yeah.

I spent yesterday researching and calling every Chevy help #. They are clueless and keep reading off the 20-23 manuals which are not the same!
The screen is not even close to the same. You can assign a name for your profile and that shows on the screen but that's it.
If you guys know how to do it I'm all ears, I mean eyes!

There are a tons of videos on setting up the 20-23 system that go into detail and are nicely done. But not one single video or written article for that matter I can find now specific for the 24 google version.

As a side note here is a good article about the future and what we are loosing. I'm not sure if this concerns the 24 system right now but they saw contacts from our phones will not be able to be accessed anymore through the sytem. Great!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/samabue...h=183fcb7d1dd7
The following users liked this post:
sprtplt (11-07-2023)
Old 11-07-2023, 03:26 PM
3LZR21U
Melting Slicks

Received 891 Likes on 587 Posts

...and somehow Ambient Lighting is "uncecessary fluff"? Where are all those negative nancy's for this thread?

Seems to me it would be simple enough to offer a "make your own pic" option like Thespian posted--by simply allowing the user to "snapshot" from various cameras/angles on/around the car. No internal access needed. Just park somewhere appealing to yourself, and use the 360 view to take a pic. Done.
Old 11-07-2023, 03:55 PM
Korbek
Melting Slicks

Received 2,029 Likes on 835 Posts

Originally Posted by Neverenough14
Are you only able to choose 1 of the 8 or so lame options for your picture? Can you load your own picture/avatar?
Can honestly say I never once cared to look at this. I didn't even know there were options to change any picrures in infotainment.

I LOVE the C8's performance. But I'd be perfecrly happy with an analog instrument cluster and no "infotainment" display at all if they would offer it as an option. Just give me my engine, steering, and suspension settings as toggle switches and the infotainment loses all utility. I dont use android auto or apple car play, and use my cell phone for navigation needs (can download maps on cell for offline use in rural areas).

I have honestly felt like infotainment was a solution in search of a problem. But to each their own for those that like it!

Last edited by Korbek; 11-07-2023 at 04:03 PM.
Old 11-07-2023, 03:56 PM
Korbek
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 3LZR21U
...and somehow Ambient Lighting is "uncecessary fluff"? Where are all those negative nancy's for this thread?

Seems to me it would be simple enough to offer a "make your own pic" option like Thespian posted--by simply allowing the user to "snapshot" from various cameras/angles on/around the car. No internal access needed. Just park somewhere appealing to yourself, and use the 360 view to take a pic. Done.
Ambient lighting is 100% unnecessary fluff. But so is infotainment IMO (see above).

Also, it's Nancies. You don't pluralize words by adding appostrophe -s.

(Just yanking your chain btw. I don't care about internet grammar. This post just seemed like a perfect opportunity to go there, lol.)
Old 11-07-2023, 09:03 PM
3LZR21U
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Korbek
I'd be perfecrly happy with an analog instrument cluster and no "infotainment" display at all if they would offer it as an option. Just give me my engine, steering, and suspension settings as toggle switches and the infotainment loses all utility. I dont use android auto or apple car play, and use my cell phone for navigation needs (can download maps on cell for offline use in rural areas).

I have honestly felt like infotainment was a solution in search of a problem. But to each their own for those that like it!
Ambient lighting is 100% unnecessary fluff. But so is infotainment IMO (see above).
Fair points. But also entirely irrelevant and tangential--let alone antithetical to the entire zeitgeist of the c8. There are plenty of no-frills cars that can be had for similar coin. Everything from an FRS/BRZ to a Mx5 to a Nissan Z to an Evora to a Shelby Cobra to a Viper. C8 is the most "grand tourer" generation of Corvette made yet--it's not even close imho. Lack of grand tourer capability/feel is why vette's have seldom been used for Cannonball attempts (besides the obvious "looks like a damn fast sports car". Even a rented mustang set a record recently--but few, if any, corvettes.

I don't hate to disagree with you. C8 is the car I've been waiting 30 years for. It's virtually impossible for it to have too much "fluff"--from my vantage point. I'd take stuff like air-scarf in a heartbeat if it were available.
Old 11-08-2023, 12:07 PM
Kcin74
7th Gear

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

. I dont use android auto or apple car play, and use my cell phone for navigation needs (can download maps on cell for offline use in rural areas).
Why would you use your phone for navigation purposes and not use AndroidAuto or Carplay? Your navigation would display on the larger integrated screen instead of having the phone pinned up on the dash somewhere, your prompts would play over the cars stereo system. It's still your phone.... but better.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kcin74:
tadda (11-08-2023), Vega$Vette (11-08-2023)
Old 11-08-2023, 12:12 PM
Korbek
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Kcin74
Why would you use your phone for navigation purposes and not use AndroidAuto or Carplay? Your navigation would display on the larger integrated screen instead of having the phone pinned up on the dash somewhere, your prompts would play over the cars stereo system. It's still your phone.... but better.
No need. I connect to car via bluetooth so the audio directions play over car speakers anyway, and dont need to see the map on my infotainment screen. I honestly almost never even look at that screen. The only thing I need to do is adjust volume and skip song tracks, neighter of which require me to look at the screen.

My MyMode and Zmode were set up for the only two ways I prefer to drive the C8, so in 18 months I never even needed to change drive mode settings at all.

Like I said to each his own but the big tablet in the middle of the dash is nothing more than an eyesore to me. I think the car could function just fine without it.
Old 11-08-2023, 12:18 PM
Korbek
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 3LZR21U
Fair points. But also entirely irrelevant and tangential--let alone antithetical to the entire zeitgeist of the c8. There are plenty of no-frills cars that can be had for similar coin. Everything from an FRS/BRZ to a Mx5 to a Nissan Z to an Evora to a Shelby Cobra to a Viper. C8 is the most "grand tourer" generation of Corvette made yet--it's not even close imho. Lack of grand tourer capability/feel is why vette's have seldom been used for Cannonball attempts (besides the obvious "looks like a damn fast sports car". Even a rented mustang set a record recently--but few, if any, corvettes.

I don't hate to disagree with you. C8 is the car I've been waiting 30 years for. It's virtually impossible for it to have too much "fluff"--from my vantage point. I'd take stuff like air-scarf in a heartbeat if it were available.
I will definitely agree on airscarf. That provides actual utility for cold weather top down driving. My SLK has it. But it doesnt have a massive infotainment screen or any of the other stuff I view as fluff (except maybe ambient lighting?? I think it has that but have never used it in 14 years of owning SLKs).

Creature comforts are great. Added fluff that improves neither performance nor comfort is stuff I view as fluff. If I could get an new SLK 55 with the C8's performance, while retaining the SLK's tiny minimalist radio screen and analog gauge cluster, it would be the perfect car.

I will admit to liking some of the 3LT color options & carbon fiber trim though, so I suppose I am being a little hypocritical bc that is all aesthetic stuff... aka fluff... but I guess to me once it goes into electronic stuff I'm not on board. Those new "threaded" dashes with a giant 3 foot long digital disolay for instance. Talk about BARF.

But at any rate I always try to simply say "to each their own", bc we all want different things from our cars. If I can swing it one of these days financially, I want one of those Superformance grand sport vettes. Those are my kinda car!! Modern vette engine in a classic chassis with a manual trans and no digital displays AT ALL. I hope I can get the $$ together for one some day soon.

Last edited by Korbek; 11-08-2023 at 12:27 PM.
Old 11-08-2023, 04:10 PM
3LZR21U
Melting Slicks

I also dislike visible/contrast stitching. I think it's passing fad that will look quite dated in time.

Quick Reply: Picture/Avatar on Infotainment Screen