Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SERIOUS PROBLEM: Hood opened at 30mph

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2020, 01:01 PM
benplace
Racer

Received 428 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by CRABBYJ
Took the liberty to enhance Lux’s first photo then I took these pics of my AW C8 which appears to verify that his frunk hood was indeed close.

LUX: “I saw youtube videos and even read articles where youtubers and GM spokesperson blames it on user error. I guarantee you guys this is not user error. I even reviewed the photos I took 15 seconds before it happened. My hood was definitely closed. I did not open the front trunk for the last 100 miles either. It should have blown open at 100mph if that was indeed the case.”

“First 2 are photos taken 15-30 seconds before the hood flies open.”

It would be easy for the button to accidentally be pressed as you sat down in the car with it in your pocket.
The following 3 users liked this post by benplace:
DJGold (08-03-2020), Jungle_Viper (08-05-2020), kratedisease (08-10-2020)
Old 08-03-2020, 01:02 PM
JVi
Drifting

Received 968 Likes on 490 Posts

These frunk lids are like popcorn. Happening everywhere.
https://canadiancorvetteforums.com/t...warning.40095/
Old 08-03-2020, 01:03 PM
benplace
Racer

Received 428 Likes on 113 Posts

The car/computer recognizes the hood is open, it would seem they could release a software update to where the car will not go into drive with it open.
The following 2 users liked this post by benplace:
DJGold (08-03-2020), ZL-1 (08-03-2020)
Old 08-03-2020, 01:06 PM
Classic-Chevy-Guy
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 161 Posts

My .02.

I believe the problem is with the switch inside the Frunk.

Since the Frunk switch is for emergencies, it most likely bypasses the safety interlocks. So nothing shows up on the display.

We need to have someone crawl into the Frunk and hit the switch while the car is moving SLOWLY!!!
The following 3 users liked this post by Classic-Chevy-Guy:
Dirtnap_TX (08-03-2020), PurpleLion (08-06-2020), Tracy (08-03-2020)
Old 08-03-2020, 01:08 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

Originally Posted by benplace
The car/computer recognizes the hood is open, it would seem they could release a software update to where the car will not go into drive with it open.
The problem appears to be that the hood is not actually open when users start driving. There are multiple reports, with pictures, showing the hood flush before they started driving.

I don't see why they cannot program the electronic latch to not release if the car is in any gear but park.
Old 08-03-2020, 01:10 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,197 Likes on 3,401 Posts

Originally Posted by benplace
I wholeheartedly believe this is user error but at the same time GM needs to do something about this.
I am not aware of any other vehicles that allow the front hood to be popped out with a click of a button, and I know it won't work in drive. Not working in drive doesn't change the fact that you can easily hit the button in your car right before starting it or putting it in gear.
As with most cars, a rear trunk doesn't have this issue.
Like others have mentioned, GM needs to do something before someone dies. Maybe not allowing the car to be put in drive if the frunk is not latched?
If you attribute this to user error you'd have to make the following assumptions (unless you think he isn't telling the truth):
1) The OP accidentally pushed a frunk release button after he took the picture.
2) He didn't see the big warning signal on the DIC.
3) Even with the radio off, he didn't hear the chime.
4) What he thought sounded like the frunk latch releasing at 30 mph was something else.
5) He was so excited after the frunk opened that he still didn't see the warning or hear the chimes after he stopped.

Both Mclaren and Tesla have front opening frunk that open with a single button push and no secondary latch.

Having said that, I do think they need something like Tesla has where it requires you to physically dismiss a warning on the infotainment screen before you can drive the car with the frunk open.
The best solution would be to have an ergonomic safety latch that can easily be found and opened with one hand.
The following users liked this post:
yub (08-03-2020)
Old 08-03-2020, 01:11 PM
SuprChrgdC7
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

i would install a safety chain w latch, just to be safe. Just enough room for u to unclip it by hand while not opening the hood more than afew inches. I had a hood open on my old mustang, scared the sh*t outta me.
Jim2003 (08-14-2020)
Old 08-03-2020, 01:14 PM
Pisswilly
Melting Slicks

Received 836 Likes on 372 Posts

Seal hood shut with BearBond tape, pull fuse and don’t drive.
Old 08-03-2020, 01:14 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by SuprChrgdC7
i would install a safety chain w latch, just to be safe. Just enough room for u to unclip it by hand while not opening the hood more than afew inches. I had a hood open on my old mustang, scared the sh*t outta me.
And I bet that Mustang had a secondary safety catch.
My point being that it isn't fail-safe.
Old 08-03-2020, 01:17 PM
CJ Willys
Le Mans Master

Received 505 Likes on 295 Posts

Just do like the Mustang guys ...
mre1974 (08-05-2020)
Old 08-03-2020, 01:18 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by RKCRLR
There is no separate safety catch. A single push of the button fully releases the latch.
If you want to see body flex look at the body on frame cars (boats) of the sixties. Their latches managed to hold (well, almost all the time).
This is not a body flex issue.
I build my cars according to DOT sec. 49.
https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/571.113
Old 08-03-2020, 01:23 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Shaka
I build my cars according to DOT sec. 49.
https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/571.113
"S4.2 A front opening hood which, in any open position, partially or completely obstructs a driver's forward view through the windshield must be provided with a second latch position on the hood latch system or with a second hood latch system."

It has a second latch position. The problem is a single push of the button releases both positions.

Last edited by RKCRLR; 08-03-2020 at 01:27 PM.
ZL-1 (08-03-2020)
Old 08-03-2020, 01:25 PM
GOC
Burning Brakes

Received 199 Likes on 114 Posts

OP, was the hood latch ripped/detached at the front where it locks? This type of thing happens with composite hoods when a lot of air gets under the hood and eventually rips the hood away from the latch. That's why people should use hood pins with aftermarket CF hoods. The air is supposed to be diverted to the 2 sides with the center front bumper covered up and since there is a storage compartment under the hood, air pressure under the hood is supposed to be minimal. But apparently there is still a lot of air getting under.

Most people would expect OEMs to make composite hoods good enough to go without hood pins or don't put it on the car. Some ways to fix it is to completely seal off any air pressure from getting under the hood and make the hood stronger, use hood pins/latches or add vents into the hood. Though vents will not work for storage in the rain and car washes.
Old 08-03-2020, 01:43 PM
DRock9
Instructor

Received 149 Likes on 75 Posts

@Shaka where did you get your Engineering degree? Masters I assume?
Old 08-03-2020, 01:44 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

"S4.2 A front opening hood which, in any open position, partially or completely obstructs a driver's forward view through the windshield must be provided with a second latch position on the hood latch system or with a second hood latch system."

It has a second latch position. The problem is a single push of the button releases both positions.
I bet the DOT will have an issue with an electrical system for that purpose. It will be recalled for 2021. I was on a first name basis with the chief of the DOT. He complimented me on my thoroughness which was better than Chrysler he said. If you look at my headlamps, I had to be able to over ride the electric motor manually like Corvette pop up head lamps. My headlamps on the mirrors were approved because at the time, there as no law saying how far back you can have the headlamps provided there is no glare on the windshield. You can't have an electrically or hydraulically operated emergency brake. They are very particular with safety critical items. Steering linkage, collapsible steering columns, lighting, etc. is better to purchase certain items from an OEM. A hood latch would fall into that category as doors do.

Last edited by Shaka; 08-03-2020 at 01:46 PM.
Old 08-03-2020, 01:48 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Shaka
I bet the DOT will have an issue with an electrical system for that purpose. It will be recalled for 2021.
Perhaps, but this is the same approach that McLaren and Tesla use so they would need recalls also.
The following 2 users liked this post by RKCRLR:
Shaka (08-03-2020), SingleTrackMinded (08-03-2020)
Old 08-03-2020, 01:53 PM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Received 1,260 Likes on 558 Posts

Originally Posted by Newdude
I would go to here: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

And fill out a formal complaint. The more complaints, the more they can press GM to figure this out 100%.
Did you have your PDR on? Mine is set to always be recording this would be a good video to help GM figure it out. I bet its a signal issue coming from the fob or the little switch in the front right side, I just don't see its a latch issue other than not having a safety latch. Something is telling the latch solenoid to open, it needs a signal from something unless the solenoid is defective.

Have you ever popped open your frunk using the button under the bumper area? If yes see if that button sticks?

Last edited by fasttoys; 08-03-2020 at 02:02 PM.
Shaka (08-03-2020)

Get notified of new replies

To SERIOUS PROBLEM: Hood opened at 30mph

Old 08-03-2020, 01:57 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

Originally Posted by GOC
OP, was the hood latch ripped/detached at the front where it locks? This type of thing happens with composite hoods when a lot of air gets under the hood and eventually rips the hood away from the latch. That's why people should use hood pins with aftermarket CF hoods. The air is supposed to be diverted to the 2 sides with the center front bumper covered up and since there is a storage compartment under the hood, air pressure under the hood is supposed to be minimal. But apparently there is still a lot of air getting under.

Most people would expect OEMs to make composite hoods good enough to go without hood pins or don't put it on the car. Some ways to fix it is to completely seal off any air pressure from getting under the hood and make the hood stronger, use hood pins/latches or add vents into the hood. Though vents will not work for storage in the rain and car washes.
Most people seem to have this happen when they are going 30mph or less. I can't imagine that at those speeds there is enough airflow that would result in the hood being ripped from the latch. Otherwise we would see way more reports of this happening and especially on track where people are going well over 100mph+.
Old 08-03-2020, 02:00 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Perhaps, but this is the same approach that McLaren and Tesla use so they would need recalls also.
If the DOT deems the latch is unsafe by field and insurance report, they will do it effective immediately and there will be a recall on all vehicles so equipt. They changed the side impact requirement when I built my second roadster. The structure was accepted by my CAD hard files. If an unsatisfactory field report following an impact was submitted, I would have to have an actual crash test. The EPA gives no breaks. The insurance institute, PVT, gives no quarter.
Old 08-03-2020, 02:07 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,669 Likes on 8,312 Posts

NHTSA, which an agency within DOT, will generally signal they are moving toward a mandatory recall if the manufacturer doesn't do it voluntarily. Most manufacturers then take the voluntary recall route these days.
The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
B747VET (08-04-2020), Shaka (08-03-2020)

Quick Reply: SERIOUS PROBLEM: Hood opened at 30mph