Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front hood popped open today

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2020, 02:37 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

I must say that everyone's ingenuity in coming up with various "tethers" is impressive. BUT....
I would pull fuse 18. If you get a Frunk flying with a "tether" and damage still occurs, GM has an EASY out to NOT repair the car on their dime. Especially the tethers that are on the left or right side of the metal loop. I can see the hood being pulled way out of alignment.
The following 3 users liked this post by jimmyb:
bhvrdr (08-10-2020), jackfrostpdx (08-11-2020), RapidC84B (08-10-2020)
Old 08-10-2020, 02:39 PM
bhvrdr
Safety Car

Received 2,352 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb
i must say that everyone's ingenuity in coming up with various "tethers" is impressive. But....
I would pull fuse 18. If you get a frunk flying with a "tether" and damage still occurs, gm has an easy out to not repair the car on their dime. Especially the tethers that are on the left or right side of the metal loop. I can see the hood being pulled way out of alignment.
100%
Old 08-10-2020, 03:05 PM
gtr
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by RapidC84B
I pulled fuse 18 until GM comes out with a fix.
If fuse 18 goes out would the button inside the trunk even work? If not, how can this electronic crap pass safety laws?
Old 08-10-2020, 03:28 PM
Carl44
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 53 Posts

How hard would it be to unplug the latch? That way you have only a mechanical connection. carl
Old 08-10-2020, 03:32 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,983 Likes on 1,219 Posts

Originally Posted by gtr
If fuse 18 goes out would the button inside the trunk even work? If not, how can this electronic crap pass safety laws?
One could confirm by looking at a wiring diagram. Anyone with a subscription?
Old 08-10-2020, 03:39 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,203 Likes on 3,404 Posts

Originally Posted by gtr
Probably won't work. Wont work if the battery is dead either.
Old 08-11-2020, 10:50 AM
LJT
Racer

Received 267 Likes on 148 Posts

if you pulled fuse #18, would you please open the hood and press the button in the trunk and listen for the open sound. Maybe the button in the trunk is on the fuse for the battery tender plug next to the button?????
Old 08-11-2020, 10:55 AM
Oneslackr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 167 Posts

Why doesn't GM issue an OTA update that makes it so the frunk latch won't operate while the vehicle is in gear/moving? It seems like a simple solution or is there something that would prevent them from doing so?
Old 08-11-2020, 11:04 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,840 Likes on 1,157 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by Oneslackr
Why doesn't GM issue an OTA update that makes it so the frunk latch won't operate while the vehicle is in gear/moving? It seems like a simple solution or is there something that would prevent them from doing so?
Because that's against the law. The storage compartment HAS TO open given the child safety release.
Old 08-11-2020, 11:04 AM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,203 Likes on 3,404 Posts

That's the way it is supposed to work (other than the child escape latch in the frunk). And when people test the switches that is the way it works.
Old 08-11-2020, 11:30 AM
Oneslackr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jvp
Because that's against the law. The storage compartment HAS TO open given the child safety release.
Why does the latch need to be operational while the vehicle is gear/moving? I can't imagine some kid would crawl into the frunk & close the lid & just stay inside there for who knows how long until the vehicle drives away. I would think if some kid crawled in there & shut the lid by mistake or on purpose or someone shut the lid on them that the first thing they would do is hit the interior safety release button immediately to get back out.
Old 08-11-2020, 11:36 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,840 Likes on 1,157 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Why does the latch need to be operational while the vehicle is gear/moving?
It's what the law says. Argue with the government, not with GM here.

(ii) When the passenger car is moving forward at a speed less than 5 km/h, the release mechanism must release the trunk lid from the primary latching position or latch system, and may release the trunk lid from all latching positions or latch systems;

(iii) When the passenger car is moving forward at a speed of 5 km/h or greater, the release mechanism must release the trunk lid from the primary latching position or latch system, but must not release the trunk lid from the secondary latching position or latch system.

Last edited by jvp; 08-11-2020 at 11:39 AM.
Old 08-11-2020, 12:06 PM
Oneslackr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jvp
It's what the law says. Argue with the government, not with GM here.
Yes, the good old government & their laws to save us from ourselves. I guess the best fix so far, as many have recommended, is pulling fuse 18 & just using the emergency release cable left of the brake pedal to get into the frunk. It seems like a better fix than messing around with tethers etc...
Old 08-11-2020, 12:11 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Analysis of two of the videos posted... suggests human error. I'm not convinced yet but it does appear, based on reading this, that it could be human error even when someone is sure their frunk was down...

https://www.corvetteblogger.com/2020...F6q_InxHUr0aog
Old 08-11-2020, 12:22 PM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Received 755 Likes on 332 Posts

Yes, the good old government & their laws to save us from ourselves. I guess the best fix so far, as many have recommended, is pulling fuse 18 & just using the emergency release cable left of the brake pedal to get into the frunk. It seems like a better fix than messing around with tethers etc...
That's not really a fix when the problem is that someone leaves the frunk lid ajar and then goes driving -- as is probably the case in most if not all instances. Just like the flying roof club, whose membership is made up of people who don't properly latch the roof panel.

Last edited by Speednet; 08-11-2020 at 12:23 PM.
Old 08-11-2020, 12:26 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

Originally Posted by Speednet
That's not really a fix when the problem is that someone leaves the frunk lid ajar and then goes driving -- as is probably the case in most if not all instances. Just like the flying roof club, whose membership is made up of people who don't properly latch the roof panel.
Well you would think this would be a common occurrence with other mid engine sports cars. But just Googling around using Porsche 911 and Cayman/Boxster as a baseline and I can't really find claims of peoples frunks popping open while driving. And they have sold a crapload of those cars.

So are Corvette owners just more blind, deaf, and dumb than Porsche owners?

Does GM need to administer an IQ/hearing/eye test before buying a C8?

Last edited by thill444; 08-11-2020 at 12:28 PM.
Old 08-11-2020, 12:39 PM
Bucco Bar
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 45 Posts

Hey Speednet!
Are you a shill for GM?
Norm

Get notified of new replies

To Front hood popped open today

Old 08-11-2020, 01:13 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,383 Likes on 2,070 Posts

Why does the latch need to be operational while the vehicle is gear/moving? I can't imagine some kid would crawl into the frunk & close the lid & just stay inside there for who knows how long until the vehicle drives away. I would think if some kid crawled in there & shut the lid by mistake or on purpose or someone shut the lid on them that the first thing they would do is hit the interior safety release button immediately to get back out.
Since it is based on a 3 year old child, I am not sure they will figure it out. When you are going to teach your 3 year old what to do, make sure you are in a closed garage where your neighbors won’t see you closing your child in the trunk.
Old 08-11-2020, 02:54 PM
Oneslackr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Speednet
While I'm sure some have been user error (i.e. leaving their frunk hood partially open) I can't believe it has been the cause every single time. If it is the only cause as you, GM, Mike Davenport (i.e. Chevy Dude), & others think then there are a bunch of deaf & blind C8 drivers. I would certainly notice a big 'Hood Open 82 MPH Top Speed' message on the dashboard, even if I didn't hear the warning chime for some reason before pulling onto the road.
Old 08-11-2020, 08:11 PM
Bucco Bar
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 45 Posts

I would really like to put this issue to rest...it won't go away.
Tomorrow I will be getting my car back after 5 weeks. I am both looking forward to my ride and anxious,I only have around 550 miles on it. I will be talking with my dealer and then slowly and attentively driving to my hardware store to pick up the stuff that I will be needing to do a tether. A buddy will be helping me with the tether since he has all of the tools and I do not.
Then I hope that this problem will just go away and I will be able to trust the software and mechanics of the car along with becoming comfortable with the Corvette experience.! Soon there will be a permanent fix,I am sure.
Just one more time,I will explain my particular experience. My pop-up occurred on 6/30. I had not opened my frunk for about 2 weeks prior to that date and drove about 200 miles during that ensuing time period.
I was driving in an easy manner,going about 35 mph. I did see a warning message and pulled over as soon as I could,but the frunk popped. I was slowing down from 35 with it opened. I heard no chime,probably because it was not on a high volume.
I did speak with GM/Chevy a couple of times....once I told them that I contacted my insurance company they stopped the conversation...no surprise. I have also talked to the National Traffic Safety people more than a couple of times. They were very helpful. My insurance company cut a check and told me not to be concerned and that they will deal with the red tape and GM. Done deal.
I have tried to analyze how this happened. My frunk was closed,that I am sure. Is there a fault with the latch? Is it not robust enough? How about the FOB? In driving GM for 30 years I have never had an issue with a fob popping a trunk,latch or window by accident. Never. I always put my fob in the cup holder or tray,so I am discounting the fob as a problem here.. I am talking a good number of GM vehicles for me and my wife during this time.
So it comes down to electronics,sensors and latch. We shall see!
I look forward to driving my C8,safely and with confidence.
Thanks to everybody for their input here and on other forums.
Good luck.
Norm

Last edited by Bucco Bar; 08-11-2020 at 08:11 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bucco Bar:
Foosh (08-12-2020), V RED 08 (08-11-2020)

Quick Reply: Front hood popped open today