Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why wouldn't Chevy let me sit in the C8?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2020, 11:45 PM
ZERRY 316
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
I have bought a few vehicles without even sitting in one. I don't think not sitting in one is going to be a deal breaker. After all, any car nowadays has infinite number of adjustments to seating. And on the other side of things, is a particular seat really going to make you fall in love with the rest of the car's attributes? Personally, I have found it takes several days of driving to get a new car's seat just right anyway.
Have you bought a few cars without driving them?
Old 06-26-2020, 11:47 PM
ZERRY 316
Racer

Originally Posted by Zevo
Every time a new Corvette comes out Chevy dealers start acting like they have something really special. 18-24 months later, they will discount the hell out of their super special Chevy. Lexus dealers know how to treat their customers. It’s too bad Chevy dealers can’t be half of what Lexus dealers are like. Corvettes are always good. GM not so much
NOT GM, it was a salesperson at a Chevrolet dealership.
Old 06-26-2020, 11:50 PM
ZERRY 316
Racer

Originally Posted by Minh Do
I did call and complain, car salesman denied it ever happening and the manager sided with him. Im just going to call and complain to Chevy corporate because at this point what else can I do?
Are you a democrat? asking for a friend.....
Old 06-26-2020, 11:56 PM
ZERRY 316
Racer

Originally Posted by sprayer
Imagine that you walk into a clothes store and they say look but you can't try them on. If you want one you just have to buy it and hopefully you like it.

I don't even know why the builders build display homes for people to walk around in. Who would buy that after so many people have walked through it.

Is it really that hard for GM to give every dealer a car so that people can sit in it. Just 1 car for each dealer they can use as a display car. That would be just too much common sense. They rather send the cars to the crusher.
And they should let you wear those clothes for a few days and live in that house a few months and GM should GIVE every dealer (5000) a free car. OK Todd.
Old 06-27-2020, 12:01 AM
ZERRY 316
Racer

Originally Posted by fake
This will make u feel better! Own gto vettes etc all my life.My year book mentions i am a car guy like my wife 4 speed or walk that was in the late nineteen sixtys.After work one day went to look at new Corvettes dressed in my jeans and contruction clothing, not dirty because i had a crew of eight doing most of the grunt work. Now i was worth at that time a couple of million dollars and had a payroll of each week of ten thousand. I went to three Chevrolet dealers over a period of a week and no one would give me the time of day! Pissed was not the word, well i ran El Caminos as my company car for many years and finally touched base with the owner of Frody Chevrolet in West Hartford Ct were i bought my young son a new Z24 Convertible from the owners daughter. I asked her what was the problem with these dealers and she said we have two asses for every Corvette we sell and we give priorty to those walking thru the front door who we can sell at list and do not want any lookers only buyers . So be happy they let you in the show room let alone look at the car.
You are the American dream come true, made millions even though you are grammaticality challenged. (spelling ain't good either).
Old 06-27-2020, 12:05 AM
ZERRY 316
Racer

Originally Posted by Z0HS1CK
That's another thing.

I feel like the corvette brand should have parted ways with chevy for the mid engine production.

Because it's the first of it's kind, the greatest thing, they should have call the corvette, "corvette Z", then corvette ZR1 etc.

Instead of chevy corvette z06 etc.

Similar to what the hyundai did with their genesis. It used to be hyundai genesis. But now genesis is it's own brand new. Genesis G70 etc.

I feel like corvette earned it's right to be separated from chevy because it's so special now. Greatest generation is here!
If you feel it's the goat, use a capital "c"
Old 06-27-2020, 12:08 AM
ZERRY 316
Racer

Originally Posted by dexterkatt
"I guess he didn't like Italians like me because he watched The Godfather and The Sopranos and thought we were all Gangsters."

You're not? Damn!
Not "gangster", "guido"
Old 06-27-2020, 12:12 AM
sprayer
Drifting

Received 900 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by ZERRY 316
And they should let you wear those clothes for a few days and live in that house a few months and GM should GIVE every dealer (5000) a free car. OK Todd.
Why wear the clothes for days? You try them on if they fit or not. If they don't fit you put it back on the rack. Prob farted in, sweated in, but they go back on the rack for the next person to buy as brand new.

OP wanted to sit in a car to see how it feels. I would do the same if I was going to drop 60k plus on a car. If they are so worried about wearing out the seat maybe a seat cover could minimise the damage and floor mats.

​​​The car does not need to be free. But GM can offer it to them at cost price perhaps so they can have one on the show room floor to display.

​​​​​

Last edited by sprayer; 06-27-2020 at 12:13 AM.
Old 06-27-2020, 12:19 AM
tdrake2020
Pro

Received 321 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
Not at all surprising. Most Corvette buyers don't want a car that has had everybody and their cousin sitting in it. When they become more common you will find dealerships that will even let you test drive one - but not currently.
I agree. I doubt that it's a race thing. Right now if it were my C8 I wouldn't want anyone of any race sitting in my C8.
Old 06-27-2020, 12:20 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

If the car is SOLD and no longer belongs to the dealer, there should be a sticker on it saying so and the car should be locked and it shouldn't be on the showroom floor....period.
Old 06-27-2020, 03:59 AM
C8Jake
Race Director

Received 5,416 Likes on 2,535 Posts

Why wouldn't Chevy let me sit in the C8?
Why won't Toyota let me sit in a Supra?

Last edited by C8Jake; 06-27-2020 at 05:53 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by C8Jake:
punky (06-27-2020), Z0HS1CK (06-27-2020)
Old 06-27-2020, 04:32 AM
vrybad
Le Mans Master

Received 708 Likes on 391 Posts

Because I drove an hour to see it AFTER the salesman on the phone said I could sit in it? Maybe that's why?
Should have mentioned that from the start.
Grow up.
The following users liked this post:
Skid Row Joe (06-27-2020)
Old 06-27-2020, 05:32 AM
RACE U
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Louisville Ky NCM Lifetime Member 429 (Member Since 1993)
Received 261 Likes on 182 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '16

Originally Posted by Sin City
A Chevy dealer is not "Chevy"

I think the world of Covid 19 has changed everything.
A chevy dealership is chevy. A dealer represents chevy as its agent. This is a legal issue.
Old 06-27-2020, 05:46 AM
RACE U
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Louisville Ky NCM Lifetime Member 429 (Member Since 1993)
Received 261 Likes on 182 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '16

Was the corvette you were wanting to sit in sold, awaiting delivery? If the car was sold, it would make perfect sense.

Also, how were you dressed when you went to the dealership? Like it or not, if you were dressed sloppy, that would give the salesman a perception resulting in you not being able to sit in the car.

And finally, when you first approached the dealer staff, did you tell them you wanting to buy a C8, or did you just tell them you would like to sit in one? If they dont perceive you as a buyer your situation would not surprise me.

Also, had you done much research on the C8 before going to the dealership? The majority of corvette buyers know exactly what they want have researched pricing, etc.

I know it wont make you feel any better, but the only time I could sit in a C7 Z06 was at the corvette museum at a labor day event and never was allowed to drive one before purchasing.
green2000 (06-27-2020)
Old 06-27-2020, 06:33 AM
jimmypop13
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 40 Posts

Guys this is easy to explain. He said it's sterling McCall of houston. If you live in the area you would understand. This place used to be Monday Chevrolet. For the 18 years I've been driving it's been the worst Chevy dealer to deal with for anyone that's remotely a fan of sports cars. They tack on all sorts of add-ons to the price like cheap bowtie stickers, pinstripe stickers, cheap tint, something like LoJack, etc... They keep everything locked most the time. I think they had a huge mark up with the c8 reservations too. I would never consider this place in a million years. Makes perfect sense that they wouldn't let you sit in Vette. They do everything else *** backwards too
Old 06-27-2020, 06:43 AM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,237 Likes on 2,172 Posts

Originally Posted by C8Jake
Why won't Toyota let me sit in a Supra?
Why would you want to?

Just go to your local BMW dealer and sit in a Z4.

Same thing.
Old 06-27-2020, 07:33 AM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,731 Likes on 3,009 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Like the others have posted, was the car already a sold unit? I don't think that there are many dealers in the USA that have a C8 for sale on the lot

Get notified of new replies

To Why wouldn't Chevy let me sit in the C8?

Old 06-27-2020, 09:50 AM
IdRatherBGolfing
Drifting

Received 930 Likes on 492 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C8 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2921 C8 of the Year 2021 Modified Finalist

Try Parkway Chevrolet. They show 4 for sale. The pictures on their website show the actual cars so I believe they are actually for sale.

Good Luck.
Old 06-27-2020, 09:51 AM
Phil1098
Race Director

Received 11,607 Likes on 4,638 Posts

Originally Posted by RACE U
A chevy dealership is chevy. A dealer represents chevy as its agent. This is a legal issue.
Most dealerships are independently owned and operated. They run their business the way they want, they have signage and other requirements to be a dealer, but they are NOT Chevrolet. They can tell every customer that walks in to go FO if they choose, but it won't be long and they would fold. I know Ford has some company owned dealerships that they put who they want in management positions to run the store, that's completely different.
Old 06-27-2020, 10:02 AM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Originally Posted by sprayer
Why wear the clothes for days? You try them on if they fit or not. If they don't fit you put it back on the rack. Prob farted in, sweated in, but they go back on the rack for the next person to buy as brand new.

OP wanted to sit in a car to see how it feels. I would do the same if I was going to drop 60k plus on a car. If they are so worried about wearing out the seat maybe a seat cover could minimise the damage and floor mats.

​​​The car does not need to be free. But GM can offer it to them at cost price perhaps so they can have one on the show room floor to display.

​​​​​
There are approximately 2300 Chevrolet dealers in the U.S. that have taken the steps to sell the C8. Besides the fact that would have been almost every car produced before the shutdown, it would represent around 150 million dollars of inventory investment by someone. All of this would be for the purpose of promoting a car that is basically sold out for at least MSRP for the first two years and gaining. That certainly would have been a tremendous business plan so every kid on the block could sit in and wear out new C8s!
Zymurgy (06-28-2020)

Quick Reply: Why wouldn't Chevy let me sit in the C8?