Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

But the Z06 spy shots wing is ugly?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2020, 01:12 AM
ProfessorDeath
Safety Car

Received 165 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Originally Posted by TLS_Addict
Wing on my 2000 SS is better integrated.
Yep. I had a ‘98 Z28 and that spoiler integration was sexy. Even the T/A, Firehawk, and WS-6 had sexy spoilers. It added to the look. This is garbage.
The following users liked this post:
GTUnit (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 01:39 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,206 Likes on 6,015 Posts

Originally Posted by lisagurl
I do not care how it looks just give me more than 200 MPH.
Why? So you can brag at Cars & Coffee?
The following 7 users liked this post by RapidC84B:
ArmchairArchitect (06-30-2020), blue_bomber697 (06-30-2020), GTUnit (06-30-2020), mammoth713 (06-30-2020), NytmereZ (06-30-2020), stormcloak (07-17-2020), vndkshn (06-30-2020) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-30-2020, 02:28 AM
ProfessorDeath
Safety Car

Received 165 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Originally Posted by RapidC84B
Why not? 200 mph isn’t too easy to reach at $100k.
JadeRaven (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 07:23 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ProfessorDeath
Why not? 200 mph isn’t too easy to reach at $100k.
Literally what's the point? The base C8 goes 194 if you have the room to run it out. You won't use it at an auo-x, you'll never hit that speed at a trackday, you'll never hit that speed on a spirited blast on a back road, you'll never hit that speed on a highway jaunt, you'll never hit that speed on a Corvette club cruise, or in the 1/4 mile, or even a standing mile race.... the only time you'd hit that speed is if you're doing something like the Silver State Classic out west running for speed.

So what's the point?

Cars designed to go fast around a race track often how a lower top speed... see Z51 vs. base C8, because ultimate top speed doesn't matter for almost anything.

Last edited by RapidC84B; 06-30-2020 at 07:23 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by RapidC84B:
ArmchairArchitect (06-30-2020), blue_bomber697 (06-30-2020), rb185afm (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 09:49 AM
JVi
Drifting

Received 968 Likes on 490 Posts

I do not care how it looks just give me more than 200 MPH.
It still won't keep up.
Love the one you're with.
Markno9 (07-08-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 09:56 AM
Glenn Quagmire
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 604 Likes on 283 Posts

Looks cartoonish...no thanks. And, as a ZR1 owner, I don’t hate wings.
GTUnit (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 10:06 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

I hate these big wings. They are stupid looking. Almost none of us will ever have the need for what they can do at extremely high speeds. The look at me "big wing" effect works for some people and once again most of whom will never,ever, use or have the need for all this down force or whatever they do. I guess some guys are into the car cruise "who has the biggest wing", must be the guy who has exceptional driving skills, right? These things are hideous and ruin the lines of gorgeous sports cars and is why some manufacturers employ active aero in this regard.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:41 AM
lisagurl
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

I suspect an automated wing will be available as they improve stopping and handling. Jim Hall and his chaparral was the start.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:47 AM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

I wound personally like to see active aero on the C8 track-oriented versions, especially a wing that can air brake.
JockItch (07-04-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 11:37 AM
autox40
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by punky
I hate these big wings. They are stupid looking. Almost none of us will ever have the need for what they can do at extremely high speeds. The look at me "big wing" effect works for some people and once again most of whom will never,ever, use or have the need for all this down force or whatever they do. I guess some guys are into the car cruise "who has the biggest wing", must be the guy who has exceptional driving skills, right? These things are hideous and ruin the lines of gorgeous sports cars and is why some manufacturers employ active aero in this regard.
But some of us do use the downforce of the big wings. I'm glad a team of factory engineers design a complete working system, rather than me having to guess which aftermarket parts will give me the performance I'm after. There seems to always be an option without the wing and splitter for those who don't like or need it.
Old 06-30-2020, 12:51 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyBobbyInc
But some of us do use the downforce of the big wings. I'm glad a team of factory engineers design a complete working system, rather than me having to guess which aftermarket parts will give me the performance I'm after. There seems to always be an option without the wing and splitter for those who don't like or need it.
I have no doubt that there are a few who have the need for this down force on road courses. This is in reality a very small number of people who need a "big wing" and will actually realize what it is intended for. Lets call a spade a spade and just acknowledge the fact that most guys want this wing for the look at me factor and will never have the skills or the opportunity to use it.
Old 06-30-2020, 01:01 PM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06zilla
Looks like handle bars off a bicycle.
For some reason they can't get the rear end right on these cars, the rest of the
car looks pretty good.
Terrible design, come on GM!
Says the man sporting a C7 in his avatar. You have lost your taste credibility sir.
Old 06-30-2020, 01:30 PM
autox40
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 96 Posts

I have no doubt that there are a few who have the need for this down force on road courses. This is in reality a very small number of people who need a "big wing" and will actually realize what it is intended for. Lets call a spade a spade and just acknowledge the fact that most guys want this wing for the look at me factor and will never have the skills or the opportunity to use it.
Oh, I agree with that.
Old 06-30-2020, 01:44 PM
Mongoo$e
Cruising

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I would love to complain.....however I dont have the money to even think about buying one to complain.
But this is built in a wind tunnel by engineers, and puts function over form. So is it really stupid if it works?
Old 06-30-2020, 01:55 PM
lisagurl
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

I do not even know what cars and coffee is. I want to get far and fast from the people using distractions on the road. If you are out there alone there is little chance of getting hit by another driver.

I do not belong to any club that would have me. I have been in too many places to conform to a culture of friends.

Last edited by lisagurl; 06-30-2020 at 02:00 PM. Reason: profile
Old 06-30-2020, 01:57 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

I do not even know what cars and coffee is. I want to get far and fast from the people using distractions on the road. If you are out there alone there is little chance of getting hit by another driver.
LOL.... so you're going to go 200+ on a public road?

Old 06-30-2020, 02:00 PM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyBobbyInc
Oh, I agree with that.
So...a few philosophical ramblings. There are many reasons why someone is into a particular look of a car, and not all of them can be captured here but for the most part the reasons why we go for a particular style of car can be summarized as:

1) The car reminds the buyer of that car he he wanted when he was growing up. This buyer typically loves retro styling, clean lines, does not like change. Typically not a fan of more exotic cars on the market.
2) The car represents the next evolution in design. This buyer likely had a vision for what the next version of their beloved car should be and was lucky enough that the designers just so happened to agree. Typically a fan of more exotic cars on the market. The danger, if the designers vision doesn't match the buyer's, the brand may lose a fan to another car company (at least for a while).
3) The car represents art. This buyer typically loves innovation in all forms, and looks at cars as three dimensional paintings, all special in their own way, though some more interesting than others. The Ferraris, Paganis, and the Koeneggseggs of the world typically win the styling awards here. Form over function is an important factor for this buyer as the next big thing will always be faster.
4) The car represents speed. This buyer cares about speed and to hades with anything else. This buyer wants to win on the track (or the street) and could care less how it looks if it makes him faster. This buyer cares more about function over form. This is the guy with nitrous and drag radials on a car that was meant to go around corners.
5) The car represents status. This buyer cares about what the Jones down the street are buying and what they think will create a great conversation pieces. Not a real car guy. Likes to have fancy things to brag about. Sadly, this is most of the market. You don't typically find this guy at your local car club event. If he is there, he doesn't want to talk about your car so much as he wants to show you his. This buyer doesn't understand the lines of the car or what a fancy wing represents, he is only able to ape what others have told him or what's printed in an article.
6) The car represents an investment. This buyer doesn't really drive his car, as driving puts miles on it. He may be a car guy, but he is an investor first. You won't see too many of these in the Corvette world as few Corvettes are valued at above sticker price currently if made after about 1980. He might be active on a forum or in a club, but he's more of a window shopper in that he doesn't participate a lot. He's largely there to see what the market value for his car is. This guy helps preserve the car for future generations but at the same time...congrats on the most expensive paperweight you'll ever own.

Corvette guys most often seem to fall into category #1, #2, or #4. We end up fighting over what the car should look like as a result as some want tradition, some want their own vision of the future, and some just want top tier speed at a reasonable price. Occassionally you get the odd #5, but that guy really wants a Ferrari and just can't afford it. #3 is rare in Vetteworld as the styling is often somewhat conservative, with practicality and budgetary constraints.

With respect of a fancy Koeneggseggesque wing, if you like retro styling, yeah I can see why you don't like that. That style is reserved for the #3 and #4s of the car world. Maybe a few #5s who just want to talk about it.

Last edited by Atari_Prime; 06-30-2020 at 02:01 PM.
Rob97rr (06-30-2020)

Get notified of new replies

To But the Z06 spy shots wing is ugly?

Old 06-30-2020, 03:05 PM
Rob97rr
Burning Brakes

Received 777 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Atari_Prime
So...a few philosophical ramblings. There are many reasons why someone is into a particular look of a car, and not all of them can be captured here but for the most part the reasons why we go for a particular style of car can be summarized as:

1) The car reminds the buyer of that car he he wanted when he was growing up. This buyer typically loves retro styling, clean lines, does not like change. Typically not a fan of more exotic cars on the market.
2) The car represents the next evolution in design. This buyer likely had a vision for what the next version of their beloved car should be and was lucky enough that the designers just so happened to agree. Typically a fan of more exotic cars on the market. The danger, if the designers vision doesn't match the buyer's, the brand may lose a fan to another car company (at least for a while).
3) The car represents art. This buyer typically loves innovation in all forms, and looks at cars as three dimensional paintings, all special in their own way, though some more interesting than others. The Ferraris, Paganis, and the Koeneggseggs of the world typically win the styling awards here. Form over function is an important factor for this buyer as the next big thing will always be faster.
4) The car represents speed. This buyer cares about speed and to hades with anything else. This buyer wants to win on the track (or the street) and could care less how it looks if it makes him faster. This buyer cares more about function over form. This is the guy with nitrous and drag radials on a car that was meant to go around corners.
5) The car represents status. This buyer cares about what the Jones down the street are buying and what they think will create a great conversation pieces. Not a real car guy. Likes to have fancy things to brag about. Sadly, this is most of the market. You don't typically find this guy at your local car club event. If he is there, he doesn't want to talk about your car so much as he wants to show you his. This buyer doesn't understand the lines of the car or what a fancy wing represents, he is only able to ape what others have told him or what's printed in an article.
6) The car represents an investment. This buyer doesn't really drive his car, as driving puts miles on it. He may be a car guy, but he is an investor first. You won't see too many of these in the Corvette world as few Corvettes are valued at above sticker price currently if made after about 1980. He might be active on a forum or in a club, but he's more of a window shopper in that he doesn't participate a lot. He's largely there to see what the market value for his car is. This guy helps preserve the car for future generations but at the same time...congrats on the most expensive paperweight you'll ever own.

Corvette guys most often seem to fall into category #1, #2, or #4. We end up fighting over what the car should look like as a result as some want tradition, some want their own vision of the future, and some just want top tier speed at a reasonable price. Occassionally you get the odd #5, but that guy really wants a Ferrari and just can't afford it. #3 is rare in Vetteworld as the styling is often somewhat conservative, with practicality and budgetary constraints.

With respect of a fancy Koeneggseggesque wing, if you like retro styling, yeah I can see why you don't like that. That style is reserved for the #3 and #4s of the car world. Maybe a few #5s who just want to talk about it.
I like your insightful "ramblings"! And for the most part I agree, I would just add that some of us don't fit into just one category. I see myself as a blend of 1 and 2, and maybe even a little bit of 3 and 4 mixed in for good measure! (I know, I'm weird.)

Old 06-30-2020, 03:32 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 608 Posts

True....but you also stated the reason why many people buy a Corvette...so add the wing and get double the looks👍
Old 06-30-2020, 06:48 PM
JadeRaven
Pro

Received 228 Likes on 129 Posts

Literally what's the point? The base C8 goes 194 if you have the room to run it out. You won't use it at an auo-x, you'll never hit that speed at a trackday, you'll never hit that speed on a spirited blast on a back road, you'll never hit that speed on a highway jaunt, you'll never hit that speed on a Corvette club cruise, or in the 1/4 mile, or even a standing mile race.... the only time you'd hit that speed is if you're doing something like the Silver State Classic out west running for speed.

So what's the point?

Cars designed to go fast around a race track often how a lower top speed... see Z51 vs. base C8, because ultimate top speed doesn't matter for almost anything.
You are boring.
The following 2 users liked this post by JadeRaven:
neoattilahun (07-01-2020), WICKEDFRC (07-16-2020)

Quick Reply: But the Z06 spy shots wing is ugly?