Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM you promised, what's up?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2020, 07:16 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Default GM you promised, what's up?

While global B is a great technological advancement, not having the ability to tune the car is holding back many industries and hurting more than it helps

the solution is a simple one, GM has a contract you sign that "unlocks" the tune, and absolves GM of warranty on drive train parts.

You tune it, you break it, it's on you. NOT having the ability to tune the car keeps quite a few industries hand cuffed developing innovation for the car

OK GM, you promised, now what's up??? You want to sell cars, great, but you are holding back many enthusiasts and it's becoming a Cadivette NOT Americas sports car

SEMA and other enthusiasts maybe can help here. I'm not understanding why this continues to be back burner now that the car is on streets

Seems like it's win win. GM can sell more clutches, tranny, and engines when we blow them up trying to go faster. And yes the new vette is quick, but not so fast

60-120 needs some help Twin turbos and other mods are useless without the tune. Give us the keys to unlock the potential of the corvette.

GM owes the corvette heritage and enthusiasts that for sure.
The following 4 users liked this post by Rkreigh:
ArmchairArchitect (06-08-2020), TCKT B8 (06-09-2020), The Clevite Kid (06-08-2020), vetteandv (06-08-2020)

Popular Reply

06-08-2020, 07:46 AM
Phil1098
Race Director

Received 11,614 Likes on 4,642 Posts

They promised to have an open architecture that anyone can mod? Could you show some proof of that? They got right on opening the ECU of the ZR-1 too didn't they.
Old 06-08-2020, 07:33 AM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

Lol.. No really... Liability lawyers will love that...
The following 3 users liked this post by rrsperry:
CorvettoBrando (06-08-2020), MikeyTX (06-10-2020), mracer14 (06-08-2020)
Old 06-08-2020, 07:40 AM
feeder82
Melting Slicks

Received 987 Likes on 626 Posts

Don't forget emissions laws
The following 4 users liked this post by feeder82:
acrace (06-08-2020), CorvettoBrando (06-08-2020), MikeyTX (06-10-2020), mracer14 (06-08-2020)
Old 06-08-2020, 07:46 AM
Phil1098
Race Director

They promised to have an open architecture that anyone can mod? Could you show some proof of that? They got right on opening the ECU of the ZR-1 too didn't they.
The following 9 users liked this post by Phil1098:
CorvettoBrando (06-08-2020), DJGold (06-08-2020), ISHLISS (06-09-2020), jimmyb (06-08-2020), MikeyTX (06-10-2020), Mr Snappy! (06-08-2020), mracer14 (06-08-2020), thrilled (06-08-2020), Tracy (06-08-2020) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-08-2020, 08:03 AM
90sundevil
Melting Slicks

Received 745 Likes on 379 Posts

That is why they are building a Z06 in a year or so and then a ZR1.
Old 06-08-2020, 08:03 AM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by feeder82
Don't forget emissions laws
I agree here. Emissions certifications encompass hardware and software as a package. If GM gives permission to alter the EPA certified factory tune, they are violating that certification. Before the E99 ECU, GM never gave permissions to invade the EMS. Sharp programmers just did it. I see the new architecture as GM handshaking with the EPA to keep 3rd party tuners out as much as possible. I think the permissions that were alluded to by GM would need to be purely non street, non licensed cars dedicated to track use only.

BTW, the EPA has cracked down on some of the larger tuners that hang out a shingle and advertise they can alter the certified EMS for street use.
The following 2 users liked this post by BlindSpot:
CorvettoBrando (06-08-2020), Foosh (06-10-2020)
Old 06-08-2020, 08:04 AM
roader
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

So what happens when you buy a used car within the warranty limit, take it to the dealer, and there is no warranty?

I realize how dumb an argument it is but you know there is a lawyer who will take it up and win
The following 2 users liked this post by roader:
Foosh (06-10-2020), MikeyTX (06-10-2020)
Old 06-08-2020, 08:13 AM
Phil1098
Race Director

Originally Posted by Rkreigh
I'm not understanding
This is accurate, you need to ask yourself why they would they use E99 that requires a GM handshake? Not only is there emissions, but also vehicle security that in the past has proven to be easily defeated. If the aftermarket guys are so inclined I guess they can just develop a whole new ECU for the car, GM doesn't owe them anything.

Last edited by Phil1098; 06-08-2020 at 08:14 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Phil1098:
keagan (06-08-2020), MikeyTX (06-10-2020), Tracy (06-08-2020)
Old 06-08-2020, 10:39 AM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 383 Likes on 307 Posts

While global B is a great technological advancement, not having the ability to tune the car is holding back many industries and hurting more than it helps

the solution is a simple one, GM has a contract you sign that "unlocks" the tune, and absolves GM of warranty on drive train parts.

You tune it, you break it, it's on you. NOT having the ability to tune the car keeps quite a few industries hand cuffed developing innovation for the car

OK GM, you promised, now what's up??? You want to sell cars, great, but you are holding back many enthusiasts and it's becoming a Cadivette NOT Americas sports car

SEMA and other enthusiasts maybe can help here. I'm not understanding why this continues to be back burner now that the car is on streets

Seems like it's win win. GM can sell more clutches, tranny, and engines when we blow them up trying to go faster. And yes the new vette is quick, but not so fast

60-120 needs some help Twin turbos and other mods are useless without the tune. Give us the keys to unlock the potential of the corvette.

GM owes the corvette heritage and enthusiasts that for sure.
wow.... I remember the same topic with the C6 and the dealerships flashing the tunes back to factory setting and what kind of mods would void the warranty. F..k Im old....Im going to take a nap....

Clif
The following 2 users liked this post by z06clif:
MikeyTX (06-10-2020), The Clevite Kid (06-08-2020)
Old 06-08-2020, 11:19 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,213 Likes on 6,018 Posts

Originally Posted by roader
So what happens when you buy a used car within the warranty limit, take it to the dealer, and there is no warranty?

I realize how dumb an argument it is but you know there is a lawyer who will take it up and win
Happens already... there have been multiple reports of people buying used C7s, then go in for warranty work and find out there is no warranty due to the prior owner's modding. Many times the owner puts the car back to stock and dumps it at Carmax or similar.
The following 3 users liked this post by RapidC84B:
Foosh (06-10-2020), kratedisease (06-09-2020), MikeyTX (06-10-2020)
Old 06-08-2020, 02:20 PM
Mr Snappy!
Melting Slicks

Received 590 Likes on 163 Posts

This is VERY simple....Don't like it? Don't buy it. GM owes you NOTHING
The following 2 users liked this post by Mr Snappy!:
MikeyTX (06-10-2020), Old-Timer (06-08-2020)
Old 06-08-2020, 02:36 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
Happens already... there have been multiple reports of people buying used C7s, then go in for warranty work and find out there is no warranty due to the prior owner's modding. Many times the owner puts the car back to stock and dumps it at Carmax or similar.
This is why you have to do your home work. For both my used C7 and used GT350 I contacted Ford and GM directly and verified that the factory warranty was in place. For both cars I had them inspected on a lift for any sign of modification. 9 times out of 10 a tuned car will have had a aftermarket headers, exhaust, fueling, etc. It's easy to spot when a car is either running aftermarket parts or you can see that the car has had work done.

I had Ford provide me something called an Oasis report which has the full history of the car and all the service notes.

It's some extra steps but peace of mind. I do think any used car with a blocked or flagged warranty should be legally disclosed at time of purchase by the selling dealer. Some of these dealers will even still try to upsell an aftermarket warranty which is even worse.

Old 06-08-2020, 03:56 PM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Phil1098
This is accurate, you need to ask yourself why they would they use E99 that requires a GM handshake? Not only is there emissions, but also vehicle security that in the past has proven to be easily defeated. If the aftermarket guys are so inclined I guess they can just develop a whole new ECU for the car, GM doesn't owe them anything.

do they run emissions test at WOT??? No they don't do they. Cmon guys, there is "room" for emissions with twin turbos and other mods that don't necessarily make the car more dirty for compliance.

Policy isn't done by engineers either. If I made the car more durable AND cleaner and higher performing should I not be allowed to??? Milder cam specs and turbos allow that as the cam can be more emissions friendly and still make power

why do you think so many manufacturers have gone this route. Smaller displacements, emissions cams, turbos for torq. Corvette will soon follow, I'm just not fond of waiting and paying more than needed to get there. And NO I don't care about the warranty, if I mod it, I own those mods and if I break it, shame on me, I own the fix too.

Bottom line, an efficient car is a clean car.

To other points as to "why I think this has been promised"

Yes there are many videos from Tadge promising clients, and while I agree with you all that it's not likely, it needs to happen.

As some may recall, during discussions with Tadge, GM was going to work with "qualified" tuners to allow modifications. Maybe only the "big guys" get that.

And to not buying one, C8 is great "out of the box" but every factory compromise for price target, durability, warranty ect.... has to be considered by GM, not me. I like pushing the performance envelope and that take some responsibility for doing that.

As the old saying goes, "if you don't break it, maybe you aren't pushing it hard enough"

or "pill it till you kill it" for the nitrous guys. Point is, there is performance waiting to be unlocked. Tuning the tranny too after better clutch, ect... for improved engagement & driver feel with a stronger piece.

If you sign an agreement that the car will still pass the emissions compliance testing and GM is responsible not responsible for any damage to the drivetrain *(nor should they)* maybe there will be an after market for the c8

Or

that the car cannot be used on public highway *RACE CAR ONLY

or not!!!!

I don't have A C8 so I really could care less. As for the tuners, good luck. Guess they'll be modifying supras and other mod friendly foriegn junk huh? Don't complain to me when one of those straight sixes shows you and even uglier set of tail lights and blows by you for less dough.

It's already happening. I'll stick with my old junk which is still way cheaper, faster, lighter, and easy to tune. have fun with your lock box.

Last edited by Rkreigh; 06-08-2020 at 03:58 PM.
Old 06-08-2020, 04:05 PM
Corvette#2
Safety Car

Received 394 Likes on 247 Posts

I can see both sides.

What's the harm in GM making the C8's ecu hackable ? They don't have to endorse it, but don't make it impossible to play with.

On the other hand, if you want more speed, buy a Z06/ZR1/Zora etc. It's like complaining when Intel/AMD won't let the consumer overclock the cheaper model.
Old 06-08-2020, 04:20 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

do they run emissions test at WOT??? No they don't do they. Cmon guys, there is "room" for emissions with twin turbos and other mods that don't necessarily make the car more dirty for compliance.

Policy isn't done by engineers either. If I made the car more durable AND cleaner and higher performing should I not be allowed to??? Milder cam specs and turbos allow that as the cam can be more emissions friendly and still make power

why do you think so many manufacturers have gone this route. Smaller displacements, emissions cams, turbos for torq. Corvette will soon follow, I'm just not fond of waiting and paying more than needed to get there. And NO I don't care about the warranty, if I mod it, I own those mods and if I break it, shame on me, I own the fix too.

Yes there are many videos from Tadge promising clients, and while I agree with you all that it's not likely, it needs to happen.

As some may recall, during discussions with Tadge, GM was going to work with "qualified" tuners to allow modifications. Maybe only the "big guys" get that.

And to not buying one, C8 is great "out of the box" but every factory compromise for price target, durability, warranty ect.... has to be considered by GM, not me. I like pushing the performance envelope and that take some responsibility for doing that.

As the old saying goes, "if you don't break it, maybe you aren't pushing it hard enough"

or "pill it till you kill it" for the nitrous guys. Point is, there is performance waiting to be unlocked. Tuning the tranny too after better clutch, ect... for improved engagement & driver feel with a stronger piece.

If you sign an agreement that the car will still pass the emissions compliance testing and GM is responsible not responsible for any damage to the drivetrain *(nor should they)* maybe there will be an after market for the c8

Or

or not!!!!

I don't have A C8 so I really could care less. As for the tuners, good luck. Guess they'll be modifying supras and other mod friendly foriegn junk huh? Don't complain to me when one of those straight sixes shows you and even uglier set of tail lights and blows by you for less dough.

It's already happening. I'll stick with my old junk which is still way cheaper, faster, lighter, and easy to tune. have fun with your lock box.
Let me make life easy for you and end your angst.

If you want to mod a C8 LT2 you CAN have it tuned. Here you go. Just give up your warranty and any future downloads as your ECU will now be standalone...but tunable

https://www.hptuners.com/product/zr1...hange-service/

I am an HP tuners user for 8 years now. I've tuned lots of different cars both domestic/foreign. I follow tuning and the challenges with gov't agencies such as the EPA. It is not a matter of you possibly producing an even cleaner engine after a custom tune, The problem is - the EPA hasn't certified it (and won't unless you're a manufacturer), but they do have a pretty big legal hammer.

To your statement about HP left on the table with the C8, every single car out there has power left on the table. Even my Bentley Continental has an easy 110 hp on the W12 if I want to go chase it. Nothing more than a tuning mod.

Hopefully the HP Tuner's E99 ECU option will satisfy since you stated you're willing to give up the warranty or sign something with GM. Just go for it.
The following users liked this post:
c6tech (06-11-2020)
Old 06-08-2020, 04:20 PM
Red67John
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 195 Posts

Or

or not!!!!

Seriously? Then what’s with the debate?

It doesn’t seem likely that, for all the reason already stated above, GM can legally unlock the box. To many regulatory and civil $$$ at risk. That burden isn’t on GM, it’s on the aftermarket to crack it.
Old 06-08-2020, 04:21 PM
Grumps' Garage
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Let's keep in mind part of the security on the ecu is exactly that these days.....security. These cars are now OTA enabled by design. I will be looking to pull more performance out of my C8 after the warranty is out. FIrst year midengine, dct etc. and i think warranty is very valuable. I would like to pull about 600-650 horse when it is time to play though. Hoping by then the tuning issue will be resolved.

Get notified of new replies

To GM you promised, what's up?

Old 06-08-2020, 04:28 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Red67John
Seriously? Then what’s with the debate?

It doesn’t seem likely that, for all the reason already stated above, GM can legally unlock the box. To many regulatory and civil $$$ at risk. That burden isn’t on GM, it’s on the aftermarket to crack it.
Already cracked.
Old 06-08-2020, 04:28 PM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BlindSpot
Let me make life easy for you and end your angst.

If you want to mod a C8 LT2 you CAN have it tuned. Here you go. Just give up your warranty and any future downloads as your ECU will now be standalone...but tunable

https://www.hptuners.com/product/zr1...hange-service/

I am an HP tuners user for 8 years now. I've tuned lots of different cars both domestic/foreign. I follow tuning and the challenges with gov't agencies such as the EPA. It is not a matter of you possibly producing an even cleaner engine after a custom tune, The problem is - the EPA hasn't certified it (and won't unless you're a manufacturer), but they do have a pretty big legal hammer.

To your statement about HP left on the table with the C8, every single car out there has power left on the table. Even my Bentley Continental has an easy 110 hp on the W12 if I want to go chase it. Nothing more than a tuning mod.

Hopefully the HP Tuner's E99 ECU option will satisfy since you stated you're willing to give up the warranty or sign something with GM. Just go for it.

thanks but that is a ZR-1 mod and NOT a c8 mod. no provision for DCT tuning.

I don't have any angst. I'd just like GM to support enthusiasts with the corvette platform as they have for years until Global B.

some folks are still serious about performance and I feel GM should find a reasonable and logical way to support that and increase the bottom line not hurt it.

if yall want to settle for less, so be it. Some want to push the performance envelope which is why we buy a corvette in the first place.

I know I do.
Old 06-08-2020, 04:33 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

thanks but that is a ZR-1 mod and NOT a c8 mod. no provision for DCT tuning.

I don't have any angst. I'd just like GM to support enthusiasts with the corvette platform as they have for years until Global B.

some folks are still serious about performance and I feel GM should find a reasonable and logical way to support that and increase the bottom line not hurt it.

if yall want to settle for less, so be it. Some want to push the performance envelope which is why we buy a corvette in the first place.

I know I do.
An E99 is an E99. Different data, but that's what you'd be modding anyway...just like an E38 is an E38 or an E67 is an E67. All of these platforms are used in numerous GM vehicles. If you know what to look for in the tune it doesn't matter what body is surrounding the engine.

To clarify, the HP Tuners "modified" E99 exchange unit is NOT a tuned ECU. It is an E99 with the firewall removed making it a standalone disconnected ECU that GM can no longer access. The tune STILL has to be done by a competent tuner.

Last edited by BlindSpot; 06-08-2020 at 04:49 PM.

Quick Reply: GM you promised, what's up?