Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM you promised, what's up?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2020, 04:40 PM
Phil1098
Race Director

Received 11,610 Likes on 4,640 Posts

Originally Posted by Rkreigh
As some may recall, during discussions with Tadge, GM was going to work with "qualified" tuners to allow modifications. Maybe only the "big guys" get that.
I have mentioned this over the past several months. I could easily see the big tuners paying $$$ to be GM Performance Certified (just made that up BTW) or something after they have made agreements and have some equipment purchased by GM to maintain the security built into the car with OTA updates and such.
Old 06-08-2020, 05:31 PM
Chrisrokc
Drifting

Received 170 Likes on 58 Posts

I believe this was said during the NYC interviews, but I can't seem to find the video. I have not seen it written down. It was discussed when they were talking about the aftermarket and how the new ECU will play with that. I would imagine there will be something in the future that will allow for tuning by aftermarket vendors. GM sells crate motors and all sorts of performance related items. I can see them selling you an ECU that is compatible.

If not, stand-alone ECU's will become popular.
Old 06-08-2020, 05:48 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by feeder82
Don't forget emissions laws
oh yeah, and the orig. owner signs this dumpy deal and sells the car two months later. next owner: the stuck-ee? when s/he goes in for warranty work. oh great idea among the others reasons why not-to do this listed above.
Old 06-08-2020, 08:59 PM
GetOutOJail
Racer

Received 375 Likes on 129 Posts

Apparently the OP did not see the video interview from the NCM Bash with Tadge and Harlan where he pretty much said it best. What the heck is the deal with the first 2700 people getting their new vettes which are AMAZING out of the gate, they are essentially base model or base+ cars, and all these Youtubers and bloggers are tearing up their cars, putting super chargers, twin turbos, nitrous, wife bodies and everything else on them within 5 minutes of getting them. Seriously! The man most responsible for this car was beside himself. And I agree. This car was built to be enjoyed as it is. Granted they want to appeal to a younger audience. But those guys do their mods and then 3 months later it’s the next car they have to show themselves ripping apart. I get that there’s a segment of buyers who are all about having all the mods they can get so their virtually one-off car is even more outrageous and unique. But getting mad that a car that has only had 2700 units produced hasn’t had its tuning abilities unlocked for ALL the customers that want it is just nuts.

Either wait for them to unlock it which I’m sure they will when more cars are on the road - and then have at it. Or do what you really should do, and get a 2023 Z06, 2024 ZR1, or if you can afford it, the Zora. Why people want to rip up a brand new car is just beyond me. I get it if you just can’t wait to track the car and want to push the limits of the Z51 on track. Clearly that car is never going to have a long shelf life. But it’s just crazy to me all of the people who are buying this beautiful car and from day one covering it in giant vinyl wraps with Captain America crap on it or, even worse, doing something that voids the warranty on a first year car.

I get it, I’m showing my age (50) finally. And you buy the car, you should do what makes you happy with it. Just frustrating to those of us still waiting to finally own this already legendary car Hearing people complain that they really are pissed GM won’t let them take their new car and mess with something in weeks it took engineers 7-8 years to get just right. But hey, what do I (or Tadge) know.
The following 2 users liked this post by GetOutOJail:
2vettefamily (06-10-2020), johnodrake (06-08-2020)
Old 06-08-2020, 09:11 PM
Grumps' Garage
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Took me bit to remember where but I knew I remembered seeing something on 'someone having a way around ecu".
https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/p...nearly-700-hp/

No i dont believe everything, or most, of what I read on internet and the wording would lead me to believe they are not accessing ecu, Still peaked my curiosity.
Old 06-08-2020, 09:26 PM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 390 Likes on 244 Posts

EPA~ Hello, GM.
GM~ Hello, EPA.
EPA~ We understand that you allow owners to tamper with your certified emission systems.
GM~ Well, they signed a paper absolving GM for what they might do.
EPA~ That is against the Federal law. We fined Harley Davidson $20 million for this. We fined Chrysler $50 million for this. We fined VW a coupla billion for this. What do you think we're gonna do to you?
GM~ Let us "pass"as we have signed papers?
EPA~ Nope. Not just NOPE, but a big, steaming bucket of NOPE!
GM~Well, how much is it going to cost GM? The stockholders are not going to be happy about this. The 'rona really beat up our bottom line this year.
EPA~ We are not concerned with your bottom line.
GM~ Yeah but...Rkreigh said it would be a "win-win" for everybody. And he's on the "CorvetteForum."
EPA~ Well, maybe a "win-win" for the EPA, but not GM.
GM~ How can we rectify this?
EPA~ In the future, DO NOT ALLOW ANY ECM's to be "tamperable" and we just might let you stay in business. Otherwise, see VW...

There you have it, pretty much.

And this is the "good" outcome, when dealing with the EPA...

Last edited by NORTY; 06-08-2020 at 09:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Telepierre (06-09-2020)
Old 06-08-2020, 09:34 PM
K-TownMike
Melting Slicks

Received 731 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette#2
I can see both sides.

What's the harm in GM making the C8's ecu hackable ? They don't have to endorse it, but don't make it impossible to play with.

On the other hand, if you want more speed, buy a Z06/ZR1/Zora etc. It's like complaining when Intel/AMD won't let the consumer overclock the cheaper model.
Whats the premium gonna be on the Z06 over a base car? 30 grand?

Just because someone can afford a c8 doesn't mean they can also affird a Z, ZR1 or whatever.
Old 06-08-2020, 09:50 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Received 8,543 Likes on 4,277 Posts

Originally Posted by Rkreigh
do they run emissions test at WOT??? No they don't do they. Cmon guys, there is "room" for emissions with twin turbos and other mods that don't necessarily make the car more dirty for compliance.
It is simply illegal to modify the emissions equipment. Period. That includes the exhaust. Whether it passes the specific tests is immaterial. The fines amount to big bucks, and the EPA is getting more serious about enforcement. GM may, eventually, allow tuners to unlock the ECU. But you can bet the contract will require the tuner to offer their own engine and drivetrain warranty equal to GM's (like Callaway dow now), and perform their own emissions certification and get Fed approval.
Old 06-08-2020, 09:55 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Originally Posted by BlindSpot
Let me make life easy for you and end your angst.

If you want to mod a C8 LT2 you CAN have it tuned. Here you go. Just give up your warranty and any future downloads as your ECU will now be standalone...but tunable

https://www.hptuners.com/product/zr1...hange-service/

I am an HP tuners user for 8 years now. I've tuned lots of different cars both domestic/foreign. I follow tuning and the challenges with gov't agencies such as the EPA. It is not a matter of you possibly producing an even cleaner engine after a custom tune, The problem is - the EPA hasn't certified it (and won't unless you're a manufacturer), but they do have a pretty big legal hammer.

To your statement about HP left on the table with the C8, every single car out there has power left on the table. Even my Bentley Continental has an easy 110 hp on the W12 if I want to go chase it. Nothing more than a tuning mod.

Hopefully the HP Tuner's E99 ECU option will satisfy since you stated you're willing to give up the warranty or sign something with GM. Just go for it.
The ZR1 doesn't have Global B nor anywhere near the level of encryption of the communications between modules the C8 does. Assuming that because they cracked the ZR-1 they can crack the C8 is nonsense. It's like saying that if you can crack a 4 digit pin on my phone you can also crack a 128 byte long password encrypted with 256 bit AES encryption on my server.
The following 2 users liked this post by Red Mist Rulz:
Phil1098 (06-10-2020), Telepierre (06-09-2020)
Old 06-08-2020, 09:56 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Already cracked.
By whom? And no, the E99 hack won't work on the C8.
An E99 is an E99. Different data, but that's what you'd be modding anyway...just like an E38 is an E38 or an E67 is an E67. All of these platforms are used in numerous GM vehicles. If you know what to look for in the tune it doesn't matter what body is surrounding the engine.

To clarify, the HP Tuners "modified" E99 exchange unit is NOT a tuned ECU. It is an E99 with the firewall removed making it a standalone disconnected ECU that GM can no longer access. The tune STILL has to be done by a competent tuner.
LOL. You really don't understand anything about what you're posting about. Global B is a whole new ballgame, with a whole new level of security and encryption. Every computer module in the car communicates with every other module via an encrypted stream, and there's a handshake each time to validate that the signal is coming from a valid encrypted node. Every car has a unique key. AND that key changes continuously.

Here's a primer that might help you understand why the C8 isn't going to be "cracked" the same way the ZR-1 was:

https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...s-custom-tuned

Last edited by Red Mist Rulz; 06-08-2020 at 10:01 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Red Mist Rulz:
Kodiak Bear (06-10-2020), Shaka (06-09-2020), Telepierre (06-09-2020)
Old 06-08-2020, 10:30 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,589 Likes on 1,626 Posts

Originally Posted by DSOMrulz
The ZR1 doesn't have Global B nor anywhere near the level of encryption of the communications between modules the C8 does. Assuming that because they cracked the ZR-1 they can crack the C8 is nonsense. It's like saying that if you can crack a 4 digit pin on my phone you can also crack a 128 byte long password encrypted with 256 bit AES encryption on my server.
there is no software that can’t be hacked. All it takes is time and money. The issue is who will take the time and spend the money
The following 2 users liked this post by johnodrake:
Lavender (06-10-2020), MikeyTX (06-10-2020)
Old 06-09-2020, 08:46 AM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by johnodrake
there is no software that can’t be hacked. All it takes is time and money. The issue is who will take the time and spend the money
Or bi passed. Simply loose the un hackable parts. Check this vid that covers hooking up a Haltech ECM that integrates to any other OEM factory control systems. There is an 8 part video of the build of this car for those who are so inclined. There is something for everybody here including hooking up a manual transmission to a mid engine LS engine, turbos and one video covers electronics.
https://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/10...s-engine-swap/
The following users liked this post:
Kodiak Bear (06-12-2020)
Old 06-09-2020, 11:17 AM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 960 Likes on 572 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

Already cracked.
Yep.
Old 06-09-2020, 11:27 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,210 Likes on 6,018 Posts

Originally Posted by meadowz06
Yep.
That's false... the E99 ECM in the C7 ZR1 has a work-around, but nobody has figured out how to tune the C8 and still work with Global B.
Old 06-09-2020, 12:06 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

How many people does this affect? How many C8 owners want to immediately tune their cars? How many C7 owners have tuned their cars? Do we know at all?
Old 06-09-2020, 02:35 PM
shiumai
Burning Brakes

Received 1,104 Likes on 496 Posts
Modified C8 of the Year 2021 Winner

Originally Posted by K-TownMike
Just because someone can afford a c8 doesn't mean they can also affird a Z, ZR1 or whatever.
Typically someone who modifies a car with forced induction, tuning and the supporting drivetrain mods, and also assumes the risk of the factory warranty voided on the affected components (which can be expensive if they blow up the engine etc) has disposable income to do it. If you add all that up, it's going to approach the cost of the next level model. And, if they have the patience to wait for used ones to hit the market, they'll certainly be able to afford them then.
Old 06-09-2020, 03:54 PM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

Received 522 Likes on 342 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by NORTY
EPA~ Hello, GM.
GM~ Hello, EPA.
EPA~ We understand that you allow owners to tamper with your certified emission systems.
GM~ Well, they signed a paper absolving GM for what they might do.
EPA~ That is against the Federal law. We fined Harley Davidson $20 million for this. We fined Chrysler $50 million for this. We fined VW a coupla billion for this. What do you think we're gonna do to you?
GM~ Let us "pass"as we have signed papers?
EPA~ Nope. Not just NOPE, but a big, steaming bucket of NOPE!
GM~Well, how much is it going to cost GM? The stockholders are not going to be happy about this. The 'rona really beat up our bottom line this year.
EPA~ We are not concerned with your bottom line.
GM~ Yeah but...Rkreigh said it would be a "win-win" for everybody. And he's on the "CorvetteForum."
EPA~ Well, maybe a "win-win" for the EPA, but not GM.
GM~ How can we rectify this?
EPA~ In the future, DO NOT ALLOW ANY ECM's to be "tamperable" and we just might let you stay in business. Otherwise, see VW...

There you have it, pretty much.

And this is the "good" outcome, when dealing with the EPA...
This is the worst attempt at drawing a parallel that I've seen in a very long time.

Get notified of new replies

To GM you promised, what's up?

Old 06-09-2020, 07:58 PM
K-TownMike
Melting Slicks

Received 731 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by shiumai
Typically someone who modifies a car with forced induction, tuning and the supporting drivetrain mods, and also assumes the risk of the factory warranty voided on the affected components (which can be expensive if they blow up the engine etc) has disposable income to do it. If you add all that up, it's going to approach the cost of the next level model. And, if they have the patience to wait for used ones to hit the market, they'll certainly be able to afford them then.

You are talking about a full on FI build. There are plenty of guys who just want to throw on a blower for 8 or 9k and have it tuned and not go crazy. That isn't anywhere near the price of a Z.

Also, there are even more people who just want to go the bolt on route and be able to tune, for less money still.
Old 06-09-2020, 08:47 PM
erick_e
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

A quote directly from Mark Reuss.

“(2020 C8 Corvette ECU) is very, very well done in terms of being able to connect,” Ruess continued, “but also to have the capacity and capability for things like Super Cruise, AV and EV. That pipeline that is created with Global B and cybersecurity to be part of that is very, very robust.”

https://www.musclecarsandtrucks.com/...gives-details/
Old 06-10-2020, 01:41 AM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 390 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by SurfnSun
This is the worst attempt at drawing a parallel that I've seen in a very long time.
Like it or not, this is how the game is played.
BTDT.

Quick Reply: GM you promised, what's up?