Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First mechanical issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2020, 07:04 PM
Kingtal0n
Melting Slicks

Received 724 Likes on 498 Posts

if they always used 100% perfect parts we would never have anything to modify, or do

I think the engineers purposefully put such items as plain looking shifters & other 'cheap' parts in order to facilitate the American hot rod part of the brain which can only come on and be satisfied when 'upgrading' certain things about ones ride...

because its about its the journey
Old 05-02-2020, 07:55 PM
Shaheen Javadizadeh
Intermediate

Received 35 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by OldJedi
Just out curiosity, did you change and upgrade the brake fluid before you tracked it or just stayed with the factory filled brake fluid?
I did change my brake fluid for the track.
I did not notice any inconsistencies in braking feel other than the one time I forgot to put it back in track mode between sessions. I entered the track in tour m and the brakes definitely didn't react quickly. But that was my fault not the cars. It was working as designed.
The following users liked this post:
CorvetteBrent (05-04-2020)
Old 05-02-2020, 08:48 PM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

There's no wear on the axle and the only thing here is something caught that boot,debris on road and drove over it and I would put money on it being track debris.No big deal. If thats the worst thing that ever happen's to your car you will have had a charmed life

Last edited by irok; 05-02-2020 at 09:02 PM.
Old 05-03-2020, 10:12 AM
Edwardz
Burning Brakes

Received 287 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by range96
Good that you caught it early before all the grease went everywhere and the CV joint got ruined.
Might be overkill but I would ask that they replace the whole joint and boot as a unit. If it was older and out of warranty and I was paying the boot only would be fine. Can’t wait to get my HTC.
Old 05-03-2020, 12:04 PM
Shaheen Javadizadeh
Intermediate

Originally Posted by irok
There's no wear on the axle and the only thing here is something caught that boot,debris on road and drove over it and I would put money on it being track debris.No big deal. If thats the worst thing that ever happen's to your car you will have had a charmed life
When you are underneath the car with the tire on, debris would have a near impossible possible path to the boot. It’s possible to get debris there but really challenging. If debris made it to that spot, it would be highly unlikely that it would make a perfect slice on the rib of the boot without disturbing or marring anything else. I will concede that it is still possible but it would be near impossible to reproduce.

We will find out next week when we take it apart and examine it.
Old 05-03-2020, 12:06 PM
Shaheen Javadizadeh
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Edwardz
Might be overkill but I would ask that they replace the whole joint and boot as a unit. If it was older and out of warranty and I was paying the boot only would be fine. Can’t wait to get my HTC.
yep I’m going to inspect the joint in the half shaft myself. If it’s not still fairly packed with grease, I’m going to have them replace it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Shaheen Javadizadeh:
AORoads (05-03-2020), CorvetteBrent (05-04-2020)
Old 05-03-2020, 02:30 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,985 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by MagicGlass
People gasp how can they sell it for under $60K well this is how. Low quality parts from the lowest sub standard suppliers. Something has to give when this is your business model.
You're clueless!! Have you owned any expensive cars in the past? I find that in a lot of cases, the more expensive the car, the more issues!! It's an all new car and it will have some growing pains! So what! That is what warranties are for! I am however concerned about fit & finish issues that may be or not be true cause those things really hurt the perceived quality of a car. Btw, if you guys want the ultimate reliable car go buy a $20K Camry!
The following 2 users liked this post by DaveFerrari458:
CorvetteBrent (05-04-2020), CorvettoBrando (05-04-2020)
Old 05-03-2020, 04:02 PM
LawrenceFromTorrance
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingtal0n
if they always used 100% perfect parts we would never have anything to modify, or do

I think the engineers purposefully put such items as plain looking shifters & other 'cheap' parts in order to facilitate the American hot rod part of the brain which can only come on and be satisfied when 'upgrading' certain things about ones ride...

because its about its the journey
Wow, you've got some imagination. Or, too much medication. I didn't even know we had a hot rod part in our brain. This is coming from the realistic part of my brain
The following users liked this post:
carriccp (05-03-2020)
Old 05-03-2020, 04:23 PM
Kingtal0n
Melting Slicks

Received 724 Likes on 498 Posts

Originally Posted by LawrenceFromTorrance
Wow, you've got some imagination. Or, too much medication. I didn't even know we had a hot rod part in our brain. This is coming from the realistic part of my brain
Is it both?

I want both
The following 2 users liked this post by Kingtal0n:
AORoads (05-03-2020), CorvetteBrent (05-04-2020)
Old 05-03-2020, 06:27 PM
LawrenceFromTorrance
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingtal0n
Is it both?

I want both
I think part A is from part B, so yes you've got both

Last edited by LawrenceFromTorrance; 05-03-2020 at 06:27 PM.
Old 05-03-2020, 09:47 PM
OldJedi
Drifting

Received 615 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaheen Javadizadeh
I did change my brake fluid for the track.
I did not notice any inconsistencies in braking feel other than the one time I forgot to put it back in track mode between sessions. I entered the track in tour m and the brakes definitely didn't react quickly. But that was my fault not the cars. It was working as designed.
OK thanks, let us know what you find out when you open up the CV joint.
Old 05-04-2020, 11:42 AM
MagicGlass
Drifting

Received 1,232 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458
You're clueless!! Have you owned any expensive cars in the past? I find that in a lot of cases, the more expensive the car, the more issues!! It's an all new car and it will have some growing pains! So what! That is what warranties are for! I am however concerned about fit & finish issues that may be or not be true cause those things really hurt the perceived quality of a car. Btw, if you guys want the ultimate reliable car go buy a $20K Camry!
I have owned 25 brand new Corvettes starting with generation 4. I'm far from clueless when it comes to Corvettes quality. They are made from cheapest components they can find. I roll them over while still under warranty you NEVER want to own one of these cars out of warranty. They are low cost for a reason.
Old 05-04-2020, 11:55 AM
Chevyrelic
Pro

Received 251 Likes on 142 Posts

I have owned 25 brand new Corvettes starting with generation 4. I'm far from clueless when it comes to Corvettes quality. They are made from cheapest components they can find. I roll them over while still under warranty you NEVER want to own one of these cars out of warranty. They are low cost for a reason.
I like to learn something new everyday...today I learned that I must immediately sell my 2005 coupe because it’s out of warranty. LMAO...
The following 5 users liked this post by Chevyrelic:
ArmchairArchitect (05-05-2020), azvrod (05-04-2020), carriccp (05-04-2020), CorvetteBrent (05-04-2020), vettenevodrvr (05-05-2020)
Old 05-04-2020, 12:09 PM
MagicGlass
Drifting

Received 1,232 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevyrelic
I like to learn something new everyday...today I learned that I must immediately sell my 2005 coupe because it’s out of warranty. LMAO...
By all means if you don't mind pouring money into it keep it. Do you care to post a picture of your un repaired drivers seat?

Last edited by MagicGlass; 05-04-2020 at 12:12 PM.
Old 05-04-2020, 12:12 PM
xcutter
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by road pilot
Get with it Man!
It's the world economy (or Order).
Quality control goes out the window when the
parts source is 10,000 miles away.
Until things change , all I can say is,,
Bring ,US manufactuer's, back to the state's.........
(Japan is starting a program to pull Japan manufact.
back to their home country).
I totally agree
Old 05-04-2020, 12:50 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I heard and have read for years that the underlined portion is true of several foreign cars, mostly from Euro. Interesting how some things can be transposed to others.
Old 05-04-2020, 01:27 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,768 Likes on 3,180 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevyrelic
you should be fine as long as you don't breathe on that rear diff too hard. Thank god for that strong onstar antenna on the roof to get you towed back home...

Get notified of new replies

To First mechanical issue

Old 05-04-2020, 01:31 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,207 Likes on 6,015 Posts

OP any update on getting it repaired?
Old 05-04-2020, 01:38 PM
Parcival
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by Katie22
Thats kind of funny you said they never skimp on mechanical components. My 06 had to have the harmonic ballancer replaced. Never before have i herd of such a need except for the c6 Corvette. I could go on and talk about the poor execution for the electronic brakes in the new corvette, or how about all the overheating issues on the c7 z06. Who makes a modern car that overheats when you use it for what it was designed to do?

Dont forget the cracking wheels in the c7 corvette Or all the problems with the automatic transmission in the c7 corvette.

Before you suggest someone go back to the needle point you might want to make accurate and true statement and stop talking out of your you know what....
Harmonic balancer, really? fixed one on my E-series Merc. In fact it was a problem of that series. Aren't those reliable cars? lol. Better way to argue this is with brand reliability reports by car maker rather than anecdotes...I don't think GM is terrible in that regard, just average.

Cracked wheels, overheating, auto problems... this has all been covered before. They happen, and when they do, people here complain. Did you even own a C7 or just like to talk about it? I've own two C7s (GS A8 and Z06 M7) and never had those problems... just lucky I guess?

I think the Vette does pretty well given the value proposition. Did you know that all cars, even fancier ones, have these problems? Certain Ferraris pre 2005 had headers made from cheap metal and so they all failed. Porsches including 911s pre-2006 had faulty bearings, a major problem. Did Vettes have a rep for bad interiors? Fer sure... you drive a C6. Get a newer Vette and you'll see the improvement.

The needle point comment was a little sexist but frankly you do seem an outlier...

Last edited by Parcival; 05-04-2020 at 01:41 PM.
Old 05-04-2020, 01:41 PM
mfain
Drifting

Received 883 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaheen Javadizadeh
yep I’m going to inspect the joint in the half shaft myself. If it’s not still fairly packed with grease, I’m going to have them replace it.
I picked up my 2011 Z06 and, 50 miles later, noticed grease being slung from an outer CV boot. It had a small slit in it - almost like a razor blade cut. GM replaced the entire shaft and CV joints and sent the damaged one back to the factory so they could look for a cause. They should take care of you.

Pappy

Quick Reply: First mechanical issue