Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2020, 06:38 PM
rsvette12
Melting Slicks

Received 334 Likes on 249 Posts

Just my 2 cents again wonder if jams are getting prepped correctly - does seem to appear the paint jams may not be getting loving - probably not getting a good enough prep on the tough to get at areas (jams) you know what I mean

Just take a look at under the C7 hood what a joke

While I'm at it look at GM Truck in silver - paint does not do this - paint lay down (metallic) looks superb and the paint is not falling off - also silver base on the C7 on the other hand was a joke
Old 04-28-2020, 06:40 PM
Phil1098
Race Director

Received 11,607 Likes on 4,638 Posts

Originally Posted by UnhandledException
Many people, I mean MANY if not all will never experience the performance delta between a Chevrolet Corvette being slightly less powerful for the purposes of being a higher quality and another super car.

These cars just fall apart from a body panel/fitment/paint perspective as well as interior squeaks, rattles, and other annoying buzzing noises.

The problem with Corvette fit and finish be it the panel gaps or be it the paint issues in the corners or be it the interior noises comes from one and one simple fact (even the QC issues all result from the same issue):

- The multi panel, modular, body on frame architecture which means you have an aluminum base, and some molded plastic semi body on it, which then has lots of individual plastic panels being attached using dozens if not hundreds of torx bolts. This architecture is RECIPE FOR DISASTER. This is the problem of Corvette.

There is no way to QC these cars. I ask you watch how these cars are built. This car is essentially built like a wooden house. The concrete foundation, brick walls, then wood frame, then siding, then roof. When you build a sports car like this, it is likely that something will go wrong. It is likely the car will rattle.

Compare this to say a Porsche or Audi or BMW or even Mustang, they are all aluminum welded one big body. Their A/B/C pillar is one piece all welded to the undercarriage. This removes so much QC issues before they happen.
Obviously GM isn't smart enough to call so you could straighten them out. They know nothing about building cars, but you sure do.
Old 04-28-2020, 06:42 PM
blb078
Racer

Received 198 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
Wow, that really sucks. I was hoping that with the C8 the paint issues would have been fixed. Apparently not.
Kind of like what was already mentioned. It's being made by the same people/robots at the same place with the same suppliers that made the prior generation. Everyone became all excited because the engine is in the back and it has a dct now but few realized that the quality of the car is going to suffer to meet the price point they set it at. I laugh when people try to compare it to Porsche, Lamborghini, Ferrari quality but yet they don't realize just how those cars are built vs how chevy builds their cars. However I'm still going to get a z06 when it comes out.

Originally Posted by Phil1098
Obviously GM isn't smart enough to call so you could straighten them out. They know nothing about building cars, but you sure do.
It has nothing to do with what GM knows vs what the poster you are referring to does. He's pointing out how they took a shortcut on the car which is what is leading to some of the issues. Just because he doesn't work at GM doesn't mean he doesn't know the inter workings of how a car is built.

Last edited by blb078; 04-28-2020 at 06:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Rapid Fred (04-30-2020)
Old 04-28-2020, 06:49 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Maybe GM should consider body panels made from another lightweight material like aluminum.
23/C8Z (04-28-2020)
Old 04-28-2020, 06:54 PM
Phil1098
Race Director

Originally Posted by blb078
It has nothing to do with what GM knows vs what the poster you are referring to does. He's pointing out how they took a shortcut on the car which is what is leading to some of the issues. Just because he doesn't work at GM doesn't mean he doesn't know the inter workings of how a car is built.
Armchair quarterbacks are not in short supply. It is SO easy to be critical of everything. The way he carries on, it is clear and obvious that he thinks Corvettes are total steaming piles of ****. Fine, so leave the piles of **** to the people who love them and go to somewhere you can be happy. He acts like it's just some shaking rattle trap and has zero experience with the strength of the C8 or the weakness if its there too.
Old 04-28-2020, 06:55 PM
rsvette12
Melting Slicks

Received 334 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
Maybe GM should consider body panels made from another lightweight material like aluminum.
Interesting there goes the 60,000 price
Old 04-28-2020, 06:56 PM
Phil1098
Race Director

You think there was upheaval over ME! Good God, yeah, makes Corvettes out of something other than fiberglass, WOW I can't imagine the blow back on that.
Old 04-29-2020, 07:24 PM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Received 1,039 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by UnhandledException
Many people, I mean MANY if not all will never experience the performance delta between a Chevrolet Corvette being slightly less powerful for the purposes of being a higher quality and another super car.

These cars just fall apart from a body panel/fitment/paint perspective as well as interior squeaks, rattles, and other annoying buzzing noises.

The problem with Corvette fit and finish be it the panel gaps or be it the paint issues in the corners or be it the interior noises comes from one and one simple fact (even the QC issues all result from the same issue):

- The multi panel, modular, body on frame architecture which means you have an aluminum base, and some molded plastic semi body on it, which then has lots of individual plastic panels being attached using dozens if not hundreds of torx bolts. This architecture is RECIPE FOR DISASTER. This is the problem of Corvette.

There is no way to QC these cars. I ask you watch how these cars are built. This car is essentially built like a wooden house. The concrete foundation, brick walls, then wood frame, then siding, then roof. When you build a sports car like this, it is likely that something will go wrong. It is likely the car will rattle.

Compare this to say a Porsche or Audi or BMW or even Mustang, they are all aluminum welded one big body. Their A/B/C pillar is one piece all welded to the undercarriage. This removes so much QC issues before they happen.
This. I’ve owned a lot of GM products and none of them have had the panel alignment and paint issues I see on Corvette forums. No doubt GM could fix these problems but since GM is run by bean counters it will never happen. Bean counters care only about short term profits and have no pride in the products. They’re trained to think of widgets, and widgets are widgets and nothing more.
Old 04-29-2020, 08:02 PM
RussM05
Melting Slicks

Received 1,014 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by Zaro Tundov
This. I’ve owned a lot of GM products and none of them have had the panel alignment and paint issues I see on Corvette forums. No doubt GM could fix these problems but since GM is run by bean counters it will never happen. Bean counters care only about short terprofits and have no pride in the products. They’re trained to think of widgets, and widgets are widgets and nothing more.
That is total bull ****!

Blaming the Accountant for production mistakes is like blaming the score keeper for why the Yankees lost the World Series.

Maybe your aren’t aware, automobile companies that are not profitable eventually go bankrupt. Engineers and operators managers make the bad choices.
Rapid Fred (04-30-2020)
Old 04-29-2020, 09:47 PM
sprayer
Drifting

Received 900 Likes on 484 Posts

Who would have guessed. This was supposed to be only a pre production problem, what happened to that?
Old 09-10-2020, 08:27 AM
MagicGlass
Drifting

Received 1,232 Likes on 554 Posts

I warned everyone about **** poor quality on first year cars. Everyone puts Tadge on a pedestal however his abilities seem less than desirable on both the C7 and C8. Maybe this is why Mary Barra sent the C8 engineers to Electric hell.
Old 09-10-2020, 09:17 AM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

IMHO catching paint issues and correcting them are the responsibility of the QC department at BG. No car should leave the assembly plant with paint issues. The defects caused by poor body panel fit are more difficult as they often occur during transportation and after delivery. It's sad that GM can't fix this ongoing issue with their "halo" vehicle.

Last edited by rmorin1249; 09-10-2020 at 11:58 AM.
Old 09-10-2020, 09:27 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,203 Likes on 6,013 Posts

Originally Posted by MagicGlass
I warned everyone about **** poor quality on first year cars. Everyone puts Tadge on a pedestal however his abilities seem less than desirable on both the C7 and C8. Maybe this is why Mary Barra sent the C8 engineers to Electric hell.
Tadge designs and engineers the car... whole different team is responsible for putting it together and procurement of the parts.
IMHO catching paint issues and correcting them are the responsibility of the QC department at BG. No car should leave the assembly plant with paint issues. The defects caused by poor body panel fit are more difficult as they often occur during transportation and after delivery. It's sad that GM can't fix this ongoing issue with their "halo" vehicle.
Disagree here... the whole reason they moved to the skillet system was so they'd be assembling the body on a loaded chassis.

It's a Chevy and they have an acceptable target... "good enough, most of the time".
23/C8Z (09-10-2020)
Old 09-10-2020, 10:04 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,768 Likes on 3,180 Posts

Originally Posted by RapidC84B
Tadge designs and engineers the car... whole different team is responsible for putting it together and procurement of the parts.

Disagree here... the whole reason they moved to the skillet system was so they'd be assembling the body on a loaded chassis.

It's a Chevy and they have an acceptable target... "good enough, most of the time".
Good (enough) Motors
For Corvettes? Look at the performance for the buck? Nothing comes close. And they sell every one they make. Always have.. probably always will. I am as guilty as the next. I buy them. I also buy GM. When wife's lease goes back I am going to another mfr and try one out. Maybe I need a reality check that the grass isn't greener? Or I'll be kicking myself for not leaving sooner.

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 09-10-2020 at 10:06 AM.
Old 09-10-2020, 10:14 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 19/C7Z
Good (enough) Motors
For Corvettes? Look at the performance for the buck? Nothing comes close. And they sell every one they make. Always have.. probably always will. I am as guilty as the next. I buy them. I also buy GM. When wife's lease goes back I am going to another mfr and try one out. Maybe I need a reality check that the grass isn't greener? Or I'll be kicking myself for not leaving sooner.
Agree... irks the hell out of me, but why make them better when they sell all of them already? From a business stand-point it's a waste of money.

My wife drives Mercedes and won't consider anything else. The service experience is excellent and they're very very very safe. My mother was rear-ended while stopped with a 50 mph speed delta in her 2008 CLS550 and walked away. Another friend rolled his GLS on the highway (not his fault) and whole family walked away.
Old 09-10-2020, 10:43 AM
Losbot
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 430 Likes on 246 Posts

Agree... irks the hell out of me, but why make them better when they sell all of them already? From a business stand-point it's a waste of money.

My wife drives Mercedes and won't consider anything else. The service experience is excellent and they're very very very safe. My mother was rear-ended while stopped with a 50 mph speed delta in her 2008 CLS550 and walked away. Another friend rolled his GLS on the highway (not his fault) and whole family walked away.
The service is one of the main reasons my wife has stayed away from buying American and why I have typically gotten annoyed. It's the service. Yes, you might pay a little more but we've had BMW, Ford, Audi, Infiniti, Jaguar, GM, GMC, Jeep and Volkswagen. The Ford, GMC & Jeep, we never got loaner vehicles unless unless it was a big recall issue that needed time, If so, you were sent to Enterprise to get a crap car. With Jag, BMW, Audi & Infiniti, they'd have a loaner car (nice loaners, too) ready and you drive off. No need to miss work. Just hand them yours, take theirs and come back when it's done. Also, most of them include maintenance (except Audi).

I believe that once you're spending more than $60k on a vehicle, you should receive maintenance and a loaner vehicle. Rather annoying to be hit up for a maintenance plan. Also, the warranties on the foreign cars tend to be longer, at 5yrs versus 3 or 2 yrs with others. Just my thoughts.
RapidC84B (09-10-2020)
Old 09-10-2020, 10:56 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Losbot
The service is one of the main reasons my wife has stayed away from buying American and why I have typically gotten annoyed. It's the service. Yes, you might pay a little more but we've had BMW, Ford, Audi, Infiniti, Jaguar, GM, GMC, Jeep and Volkswagen. The Ford, GMC & Jeep, we never got loaner vehicles unless unless it was a big recall issue that needed time, If so, you were sent to Enterprise to get a crap car. With Jag, BMW, Audi & Infiniti, they'd have a loaner car (nice loaners, too) ready and you drive off. No need to miss work. Just hand them yours, take theirs and come back when it's done. Also, most of them include maintenance (except Audi).

I believe that once you're spending more than $60k on a vehicle, you should receive maintenance and a loaner vehicle. Rather annoying to be hit up for a maintenance plan. Also, the warranties on the foreign cars tend to be longer, at 5yrs versus 3 or 2 yrs with others. Just my thoughts.
Agree... the loaner program is excellent. Drop yours off, leave in a brand new nice Mercedes, no down time. With Chevy and my brand new C8 I had to request a loaner and they told me maybe if one was available. They got me an Equinox! My sales rep is a good dude, but said they turn so many more tickets than a luxury dealer they only do loaners for warranty work and not basic maintenance/service.
Old 09-10-2020, 11:46 AM
MagicGlass
Drifting

Received 1,232 Likes on 554 Posts

Tadge is in charge of the entire program. He is supposed to over see everything and make sure fixes are in place for stuff like this.
Old 09-10-2020, 11:57 AM
RussM05
Melting Slicks

Received 1,014 Likes on 365 Posts

Does the Bowling Green plant manager report to Tadge? I would bet not.
rmorin1249 (09-10-2020)

Quick Reply: Paint issue