Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 Corvette vs. Mustang 5.0 TT 700whp (dig race)

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2020, 04:49 PM
Iker
Burning Brakes

Received 1,275 Likes on 356 Posts

Default C8 Corvette vs. Mustang 5.0 TT 700whp (dig race)

Both cars on sticky tires

Do you think this 700whp Mustang can walk the C8 before 1/4 mile end mark?

The following users liked this post:
MR_JLR (04-25-2020)
Old 04-24-2020, 05:11 PM
acroy
Le Mans Master

Received 1,436 Likes on 862 Posts

Yep
Physics always applies, launch is about getting the power to the ground, roll is power to weight and at higher speeds, drag.
exracer28 (04-24-2020)
Old 04-24-2020, 07:44 PM
Iker
Burning Brakes

Received 1,275 Likes on 356 Posts

Another $$ dig race with Mustang
Old 04-25-2020, 09:08 AM
MR_JLR
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Iker

https://youtu.be/vKv0HanH07g

1. Nice to see a C8 vid where the host isn't annoying as fk
2. That sound when the Mustang comes up from behind 7:11 to 7:13.....eargasm

Last edited by MR_JLR; 04-25-2020 at 09:08 AM.
Old 04-25-2020, 11:58 AM
saleentim
Burning Brakes

Received 243 Likes on 119 Posts

This C8 would’ve been great late 90s/early 2ks when people actually did dig racing on the street. 👀

Now it’s all about rolls and the C8 falls flat in this category. It need a Z version quickly or there will be a lot of vids of it losing to “lesser” cars.
Old 04-25-2020, 07:29 PM
international blue
Melting Slicks

Received 2,412 Likes on 1,045 Posts

Mustangs (new generation) have the most godawful blat exhaust note and their exhaust “backfire burble is painful to hear. They sound like shi...

horrible cars.

Last edited by international blue; 04-25-2020 at 07:29 PM.
Old 04-25-2020, 07:47 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by international blue
Mustangs (new generation) have the most godawful blat exhaust note and their exhaust “backfire burble is painful to hear. They sound like shi...

horrible cars.
Hmmm... I love the way Mustangs sound. Wished my C8 was a tad louder. Very subjective topic, this.
The following 4 users liked this post by gthal:
C8 Vet Convertible (04-26-2020), carlsturm (04-26-2020), saleentim (04-26-2020), tail_lights (04-27-2020)
Old 04-25-2020, 07:49 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Originally Posted by saleentim
This C8 would’ve been great late 90s/early 2ks when people actually did dig racing on the street. 👀

Now it’s all about rolls and the C8 falls flat in this category. It need a Z version quickly or there will be a lot of vids of it losing to “lesser” cars.
Except only kids street race anyway... us adults are past that so we don't care and long as the car is really fast, handles well and does well on road courses (check, check and check) we are good!

Last edited by gthal; 04-25-2020 at 07:49 PM.
Old 04-26-2020, 02:05 AM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,383 Likes on 2,070 Posts

Are you guys really surprised a car with 250 hp on the Corvette could beat it? Especially when the higher hp Mustang has sticky tires.
Vet Interested (04-26-2020)
Old 04-26-2020, 06:32 AM
70Apollostaged
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by saleentim

If roll racing is predominate where you are then your area myst be a bunch of guys who started out in imports. They are the ones who always asked for roll races since they couldnt hook from a dig. Around here and most places I know dig racing is still the only
"real" racing that matters.
vetteandv (04-26-2020)
Old 04-26-2020, 06:45 AM
70Apollostaged
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by gthal
Except only kids street race anyway... us adults are past that so we don't care and long as the car is really fast, handles well and does well on road courses (check, check and check) we are good!
Umm, your comment about "really fast" is relative. A C7 ZR1
is fun and decently quick or OK for this 53 year old when talking speed. My cruise night, comfy, turbo V6 Buick TType can handle a C7 ZR1 in a drag race. The go fast car....umm, for a street car its fast to me at low to mid 8second 1/4 mile et's but certainly nothing that lots of other guys arent faster than.
Old 04-26-2020, 11:29 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,778 Likes on 3,186 Posts

maybe it's just me but i will never understand why anyone would comment on a thread where there is a race involved UNLESS something terrible happened? nothing "terrible" happened here... you guys should really get off the "high-horse" as i'm POSITIVE in your lives at some point you did something a little risky and "could have" put others in jeopardy. so make sure you look yourself in the mirror when passing judgement on everybody else around you. when you point a finger there's 3 pointing right back at you as a reminder. And judging others says more about yourself.

2 points from my own observations and real world experience

- Dig racing if there were a danger lever vs a roll race is more dangerous. Roll racing usually a 40 to 120 130 run takes less than 8 or 9 seconds and USUALLY is done on a wide open highway not in rush hour traffic.

- I have been to plenty of dig street races throughout my young adult life on a street called Gulf Avenue (Staten Island NY). weekly every Thursday night through 3 seasons for years.. i have witnessed maybe 4 or 5 crashes through probably 5 or 6 years.. thousands of races. and not even one where an ambulance needed to be called at a time where cars were MUCH less safe especially those cars. And in the all the years of running someone on a highway for a quick few seconds i have NEVER seen a crash. i would argue you're paying way more attention when you're focused and not just loafing along the highway in LaLa land in rush hour traffic 10ft from the car in front and behind...

i always read these comments on a non-crash video and shake my head.
just relax and enjoy the show. and if you don't no problem just remember the next time you had a "couple" and are driving home or you open your corvette up somewhere before you pass judgement on these other enthusiasts.

another good one

Old 04-26-2020, 03:37 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 19/C7Z
maybe it's just me but i will never understand why anyone would comment on a thread where there is a race involved UNLESS something terrible happened? nothing "terrible" happened here... you guys should really get off the "high-horse" as i'm POSITIVE in your lives at some point you did something a little risky and "could have" put others in jeopardy. so make sure you look yourself in the mirror when passing judgement on everybody else around you. when you point a finger there's 3 pointing right back at you as a reminder. And judging others says more about yourself.
Ultimately you are absolutely correct in this.

Looking in the mirror, we have all had judgement lapses and have done dumb things in our lives. However, most people grow out of doing those things as their testosterone levels decline and their maturity and common sense levels rise. Probably still do the odd dumb thing but also far less often or as severely dumb as when they were young I do find it interesting that whenever people post video of illegal street racing, they are in "Mexico"... seems they are worried not about being judged but with having a car impounded or the police knocking on the door
CorvettoBrando (04-27-2020)
Old 04-26-2020, 04:50 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,383 Likes on 2,070 Posts

Ultimately you are absolutely correct in this.

Looking in the mirror, we have all had judgement lapses and have done dumb things in our lives. However, most people grow out of doing those things as their testosterone levels decline and their maturity and common sense levels rise. Probably still do the odd dumb thing but also far less often or as severely dumb as when they were young I do find it interesting that whenever people post video of illegal street racing, they are in "Mexico"... seems they are worried not about being judged but with having a car impounded or the police knocking on the door
more than a few people have been arrested for posting video of themselves involved in an illegal action. All the police need to be able to is determine their ID an location and they have all the evidence to arrest and DA prosecute. They just have to be motivated to do it.
Old 04-26-2020, 10:56 PM
saleentim
Burning Brakes

Received 243 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by 19/C7Z

2 points from my own observations and real world experience

- Dig racing if there were a danger lever vs a roll race is more dangerous. Roll racing usually a 40 to 120 130 run takes less than 8 or 9 seconds and USUALLY is done on a wide open highway not in rush hour traffic.

- I have been to plenty of dig street races throughout my young adult life on a street called Gulf Avenue (Staten Island NY). weekly every Thursday night through 3 seasons for years.. i have witnessed maybe 4 or 5 crashes through probably 5 or 6 years.. thousands of races. and not even one where an ambulance needed to be called at a time where cars were MUCH less safe especially those cars. And in the all the years of running someone on a highway for a quick few seconds i have NEVER seen a crash. i would argue you're paying way more attention when you're focused and not just loafing along the highway in LaLa land in rush hour traffic 10ft from the car in front and behind...

i always read these comments on a non-crash video and shake my head.
just relax and enjoy the show. and if you don't no problem just remember the next time you had a "couple" and are driving home or you open your corvette up somewhere before you pass judgement on these other enthusiasts.

another good one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woXDx6Wq9Bg&t=205s
I agree.. man watching that viper driver trying to shift is embarrassing..

Originally Posted by 70Apollostaged
If roll racing is predominate where you are then your area myst be a bunch of guys who started out in imports. They are the ones who always asked for roll races since they couldnt hook from a dig. Around here and most places I know dig racing is still the only
"real" racing that matters.
20 years ago that statement was correct.. It was only imports that wanted to roll race..

Now, the "real" hp cars only do 40+ roll. It's safer than dig racing too imo. I live in Houston where there are just nasty cars everywhere
23/C8Z (04-27-2020)
Old 04-26-2020, 11:38 PM
Audacious Nick
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Iker

https://youtu.be/vKv0HanH07g
A 700whp Mustang GT would curb-stomp a C8. That would be a low 10 second car that should trap 138-140mph. The poor C8 would still get stomped, even with 150 shot.

Last edited by Audacious Nick; 04-26-2020 at 11:40 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To C8 Corvette vs. Mustang 5.0 TT 700whp (dig race)

Quick Reply: C8 Corvette vs. Mustang 5.0 TT 700whp (dig race)