Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I guess paint is still an issue.... C8 pic

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2020, 08:58 AM
RussM05
Melting Slicks

Received 1,017 Likes on 365 Posts

I am disappointed with my paint job on an early Sebring Orange color. Some of the problems are I think in the SMC surface itself and some is the paint application. Some panels are very good and others not. I expected much better. But Sebring orange tint coat is incredibly difficult as it is metallic and translucent so the final results depend on how many coats and application method. I’m not going to make this a warranty issue so will live with it.

My blue C7 had lots of orange peel which I carefully wet sanded and buffed. Turned out very good. But this car. I’m just going to live with. It’s most noticeable in my workshop with lots of fluorescent lights.
Old 04-24-2020, 09:31 AM
J5isalive
Racer

Received 421 Likes on 195 Posts

So thats how someone racks up 5000 posts... watches youtube videos of car defects and then screen shots from the video. Post the defect on your own car.
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (04-24-2020)
Old 04-24-2020, 09:43 AM
Phil1098
Race Director

Received 11,628 Likes on 4,652 Posts

Originally Posted by sprayer
If people declined the car they would be piling up at GM and then something would have to change.
No they wouldn't, they get dropped off at dealerships. Take the current Corvette out of the equation, how many vehicles are ordered? Very few, I know I sold new cars for over ten years and not too many people ordered new cars, most saw one on a lot and bought it. In fact some people don't even know what they want, it wasn't uncommon to follow up with someone that was looking at a sedan and a day later when called they tell you they bought a truck. Once the initial "gotta have" Corvette buyers move through, there will be dealer stock orders like always.
Old 04-24-2020, 09:43 AM
frankjr
Burning Brakes

Received 699 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD
Bad paint is such a hit or miss occurrence on Corvettes. Many vehicles have very good paint. My C7 GS has excellent paint. If this is your vehicle I would recommend you bring this to the attention of the Chevy Concierge on this forum. You can obtain the contact particulars of the Concierge by clinking on this thread link and reading post number 43.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ap-issues.html
Hit or miss is correct, I just had a new 2019 C7 GS Arctic White delivered yesterday from MacMulkin Chevrolet and the paint on this car is so much better than my 2017 C7 GS.
The following 3 users liked this post by frankjr:
E.T.D. Corvettes (04-24-2020), MMD (04-24-2020), V RED 08 (04-24-2020)
Old 04-24-2020, 10:40 AM
Delta88
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a 2020 torch red C8 i found a couple of little paint drips on the edge of my front bumper on the wheel well ,
and on my hood found 2 tiny bubbles on the edge of my hood close to my windshield
and i haven't washed or waxed the car yet ,
but over all the fit and finish is really nice

Old 04-24-2020, 11:38 AM
mracer14
Drifting

Received 249 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverGhost
The Quality (of every GM part, process, now 400 newly-hired temp BG line "technicians" @$16.67 hour/no bennies, JUST for the C8) takes a back seat to the lowest bidder.
Simply not true.
Old 04-24-2020, 12:02 PM
MagicGlass
Drifting

Received 1,232 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by mracer14
Simply not true.
Love this photo, sad but true!

Originally Posted by am3gross
WOW!

I can handle some minor stuff but that would have me really upset. I will make sure to do a very thorough inspection if and when my time ever comes
It almost looks like a poorly filled crack.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 04-27-2020 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-please use the Multi-Quote button to make your response look like this.
Old 04-24-2020, 12:08 PM
Phil1098
Race Director

Originally Posted by MagicGlass
Love this photo, sad but true!
Since you hate GM so much, why are you here? Running around like a bitter venom spewing malcontent accomplishes nothing.
The following users liked this post:
RussM05 (04-24-2020)
Old 04-24-2020, 01:50 PM
RussM05
Melting Slicks

Here are some facts to chew on...
  1. Domestic brands Ford & Dodge have tried to build a 2 seat sports cars. The Viper was a lot more expensive, low volume, and ultimately discontinued. The new Ford GT are priced at nose bleed levels with a twin-turbo V6, which the Corvette loyalist didn't want.
  2. That leave the European and Japanese exotics. The Lambo, Ferrari, BMW and Porsche are more expensive and the published performance either is less or not significantly better than the C8. Forget about the models that are over $200,000. The Corvette target market isn't in that range.
  3. GM business model is a high volume sports car, low cost car. It has to be priced under $80,000 otherwise the volume just does't make sense in terms of units and development cost return on investment. Since they target 35,000-40,000 annual production units, they can make the business model work after sinking huge dollars in R&D and manufacturing facility.
  4. The quality of the Corvette is as good or better than cars similarly priced. I don't have it handy, but the reports I recall seeing put the Corvette right up there in quality. Maybe not #1 but not at the bottom either. But the vehicle quality game keeps getting better and better, so nobody can rest here.
The following 3 users liked this post by RussM05:
dave_2012_tt (04-26-2020), E.T.D. Corvettes (04-24-2020), ticat928 (05-16-2020)
Old 04-24-2020, 02:13 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by RussM05
Here are some facts to chew on...
  1. Domestic brands Ford & Dodge have tried to build a 2 seat sports cars. The Viper was a lot more expensive, low volume, and ultimately discontinued. The new Ford GT are priced at nose bleed levels with a twin-turbo V6, which the Corvette loyalist didn't want.
  2. That leave the European and Japanese exotics. The Lambo, Ferrari, BMW and Porsche are more expensive and the published performance either is less or not significantly better than the C8. Forget about the models that are over $200,000. The Corvette target market isn't in that range.
  3. GM business model is a high volume sports car, low cost car. It has to be priced under $80,000 otherwise the volume just does't make sense in terms of units and development cost return on investment. Since they target 35,000-40,000 annual production units, they can make the business model work after sinking huge dollars in R&D and manufacturing facility.
  4. The quality of the Corvette is as good or better than cars similarly priced. I don't have it handy, but the reports I recall seeing put the Corvette right up there in quality. Maybe not #1 but not at the bottom either. But the vehicle quality game keeps getting better and better, so nobody can rest here.
Regarding point #3. Explain how they have to be priced under $80,000 dollars when Motor Trend recently stated "According to our source, the sweet spot for profit and volume(for the upcoming Z06 and ZR1 ) is between $80,000 and $100,000? Once the car crests six figures, our source says, sales volume drops off precipitously."

Motor Trend also stated:

"GM needs to sell enough options (on the current C8 Stingray) to raise the MSRP to around $80,000 before it starts making a profit."

Seems as if $80,000 (sales price) will be the minimum needed to keep Corvette in the black.

Quoted from:
https://www.corvetteblogger.com/2019...stingray-sold/

Last edited by MMD; 04-24-2020 at 02:16 PM.
Old 04-24-2020, 02:29 PM
Phil1098
Race Director

Base price needs to be under $80k. Forget options, just look at Porsche, you can easily add 50% of the base price to the car.
Old 04-24-2020, 02:31 PM
blackmagicZ
Melting Slicks

Received 400 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Spamburger_Hamburger
Show me a sample size of delivered cars with this issue and I'll be concerned. One or two out of 2700 or however they've shipped isn't too concerning.

well maybe, until it’s your car.
Old 04-24-2020, 02:32 PM
MagicGlass
Drifting

Received 1,232 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil1098
Since you hate GM so much, why are you here? Running around like a bitter venom spewing malcontent accomplishes nothing.
Like you I foolishly purchased two of there poorly made vehicles. However unlike you I realize it.

Last edited by MagicGlass; 04-24-2020 at 02:49 PM.
Old 04-24-2020, 02:39 PM
Phil1098
Race Director

Originally Posted by MagicGlass
Like you I foolishly purchased two of there poorly made vehicles. However unlike you I realize it.
So stop being foolish, sell it, and buy a perfect car. As long as you leave, problem solved.
Old 04-24-2020, 02:40 PM
RussM05
Melting Slicks

Its clear $80,000 is the point at which sales volume declines pretty quickly over that. Look at the higher priced Corvette Z06 and ZR1 and how many are sold. The Grand Sport models are about $80,000+- with options. My dealer said the average price of the C8 cars ordered was about $78,000 if my memory serves me correctly. My car was $82k. And don't forget, that is MSRP and the dealers have to make money too.

And....please don't get too picky on the $80,000 number. Its a curve and not a cliff. Then look at the sales volume of sports cars over $150,000. The number of people that can actually afford new $150,000 sports cars is actually pretty low. To make the Bowling Green factory profitable, they need at least 25,000/annual my guess otherwise the margin won't cover the amortized tooling and R&D. GM knows what their costs are and unit volume necessary to make a profit. And the C8 reflects that. Its not magic.

Last edited by RussM05; 04-24-2020 at 02:42 PM.
Old 04-25-2020, 08:06 PM
taint
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 46 Posts

If this is a worry, absolutely don't buy one. I have a beat up old C3. I'd love to be able to justify buying a drippy paint, uneven sewn dash, Camaro tail lighted, not perfectly designed supercar like a C8 for $60k to $80k. These types of things, this eliitist menatlity, really doesn't put us in a good light as Americans as far a being a bunch of spoiled ***, spineless, whining bitches. Not saying the OP is this, but..I have worked in automotive manufacturing for almost 35 years, the last 6 being an engineer in Tier 1 companies. **** happens on high output production lines, but form follows function. This is a cheap *** car for what you're getting, if you want perfeection, PAY FOR IT.
Sorry. Just spent several hours under my most least desirable Vette year car (1975) trying to sort out the headlights not working. Same care I've rebuilt the complete rear suspension, complete braking system, and fuel system. Should've just posted a rant about the shitty design and gross overspray, because whining about it fixes everything. Well, that and maybe a wrist brace or two. I love millenial thinking.

Sorry, I'm an outsider looking in to this C8 world. I'll delete this tomorrow morning, when the beer has worn off.
Old 04-25-2020, 08:17 PM
Cozz
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 35 Posts

What's the point in leaving hundreds of cars in the lot for "quality control" when apparently there is no quality control. You're going to tell me someone mounted this front end, aligned the bumper, and went through quality control and no one noticed? I call it BS. No one cared. Just like the stitching on the dash.

Last edited by Cozz; 04-25-2020 at 08:19 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To I guess paint is still an issue.... C8 pic

Old 04-25-2020, 08:24 PM
jh225
Le Mans Master

Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by taint
If this is a worry, absolutely don't buy one. I have a beat up old C3. I'd love to be able to justify buying a drippy paint, uneven sewn dash, Camaro tail lighted, not perfectly designed supercar like a C8 for $60k to $80k. These types of things, this eliitist menatlity, really doesn't put us in a good light as Americans as far a being a bunch of spoiled ***, spineless, whining bitches. Not saying the OP is this, but..I have worked in automotive manufacturing for almost 35 years, the last 6 being an engineer in Tier 1 companies. **** happens on high output production lines, but form follows function. This is a cheap *** car for what you're getting, if you want perfeection, PAY FOR IT.
Sorry. Just spent several hours under my most least desirable Vette year car (1975) trying to sort out the headlights not working. Same care I've rebuilt the complete rear suspension, complete braking system, and fuel system. Should've just posted a rant about the shitty design and gross overspray, because whining about it fixes everything. Well, that and maybe a wrist brace or two. I love millenial thinking.

Sorry, I'm an outsider looking in to this C8 world. I'll delete this tomorrow morning, when the beer has worn off.
Seeing that you are new here, I will just have to think of the above as an “uninformed” post of sorts. Maybe you aren’t aware of the C7 paint issues.

All I was doing in the original post was saying that it appears the horrible paint issues of the C7 (of which I own a 2019 GS), have not gone away. The car in the screen shot is a well known Vette salespersons personal car, and he posted the video. Is is a fluke? Who knows, but since there are VERY few C8 on the road, we are just getting started on the road to find out.

Point is that no matter how nice the Corvette is for an $80K vehicle, powertrain, handling, etc.wise, they damn sure should have worked out a simple paint issue that reared its head all the way thru C7 production. Will the C8 be plagued by the same thing? Only time will tell.
Old 04-25-2020, 10:49 PM
sprayer
Drifting

Received 900 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil1098
No they wouldn't, they get dropped off at dealerships. Take the current Corvette out of the equation, how many vehicles are ordered? Very few, I know I sold new cars for over ten years and not too many people ordered new cars, most saw one on a lot and bought it. In fact some people don't even know what they want, it wasn't uncommon to follow up with someone that was looking at a sedan and a day later when called they tell you they bought a truck. Once the initial "gotta have" Corvette buyers move through, there will be dealer stock orders like always.
What I am saying is if a non perfect car was not picked up by anyone then GM would have to do something. But as my point said, people buy what ever they are given even with crappy workmanship.

You think the dealers would want 100's of cars that nobody will buy because of defects sitting on their lot.

Old 04-25-2020, 10:53 PM
sprayer
Drifting

Received 900 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by taint

If GM would market the car as non perfect fair enough. Customers told in advance, your dash stitching will probably be off, there will most likely be paint issues and a whole lot more issues most likely.

​​​​​

Quick Reply: I guess paint is still an issue.... C8 pic